Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
BREXIT - the Immigration question 17:29 - Nov 3 with 2230 viewsjohnlangy

People voted to leave the EU in the referendum for a variety of reasons but the most contentious was the issue of immigration.

When the subject was talked about during the campaign various brexiteers put the issue in the context of the population of a city the size of Cardiff coming to the UK every year. The actual figure from memory was 330,000.

A lot of MP's are arguing at the moment that they should be involved/consulted/informed about the governments negotiations so they can have an input. This would mean them having an opinion on what the immigration numbers should be.

So my question to anyone who voted leave, or anyone else with an opinion for that matter, is what do you think the level should be in numbers ?

BREXIT - the Immigration question on 17:38 - Nov 3 with 1855 viewsPozuelosSideys

Is volume really the issue anymore, given todays events?

Maybe its the quality over quantity, but how would you go about that?

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

BREXIT - the Immigration question on 17:43 - Nov 3 with 1847 viewsHighjack

Most immigration is from outside the EU anyway so Brexit won't do much.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

BREXIT - the Immigration question on 17:47 - Nov 3 with 1843 viewsjohnlangy

BREXIT - the Immigration question on 17:43 - Nov 3 by Highjack

Most immigration is from outside the EU anyway so Brexit won't do much.

Well, it's roughly half and half.
BREXIT - the Immigration question on 17:50 - Nov 3 with 1839 viewsProfessor

It is extremely difficult to set something like this. Other than in the local car wash there are few immigrants I run into on a day-to-day basis-even in Liverpool, yet places like Flint and Connahs Quay have a big Polish community. I am sure this is not the case in more 'prosperous' areas in the south where they do so many jobs in the service sector. There probably needs to be a level of control-but where do you draw the line? Universities need the income that non-UK students bring-so do you stop student visas? How will fruit and veg picking be done without immigrant labour? There are so many unanswered questions still. How many are needed? Do we have a moral obligation? Does this make our country richer both financially and culturally?
BREXIT - the Immigration question on 17:53 - Nov 3 with 1830 viewsHighjack

BREXIT - the Immigration question on 17:50 - Nov 3 by Professor

It is extremely difficult to set something like this. Other than in the local car wash there are few immigrants I run into on a day-to-day basis-even in Liverpool, yet places like Flint and Connahs Quay have a big Polish community. I am sure this is not the case in more 'prosperous' areas in the south where they do so many jobs in the service sector. There probably needs to be a level of control-but where do you draw the line? Universities need the income that non-UK students bring-so do you stop student visas? How will fruit and veg picking be done without immigrant labour? There are so many unanswered questions still. How many are needed? Do we have a moral obligation? Does this make our country richer both financially and culturally?

Why can't British people pick fruit and veg or work in car washes?

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

BREXIT - the Immigration question on 17:55 - Nov 3 with 1821 viewsyescomeon

BREXIT - the Immigration question on 17:53 - Nov 3 by Highjack

Why can't British people pick fruit and veg or work in car washes?

I guess it's because they won't.

Upthecity!

BREXIT - the Immigration question on 18:00 - Nov 3 with 1814 viewsHighjack

BREXIT - the Immigration question on 17:55 - Nov 3 by yescomeon

I guess it's because they won't.

Why is this?

BREXIT - the Immigration question on 18:18 - Nov 3 with 1788 viewsGroo

BREXIT - the Immigration question on 17:38 - Nov 3 by PozuelosSideys

Is volume really the issue anymore, given todays events?

Maybe its the quality over quantity, but how would you go about that?

There are two types of immigration, 1. Migrants looking to move to the UK and 2. Asylum seekers.

For 2. Britain should indicate how many they will take (there was mention of a promise of 20,000 by 2020). Asylum seekers which would include refugees are a World Wide problem and a burden to be shared by all Countries, each Country should have their own way of choosing, Canada for instance selects people from the camps in and around the troubled areas and the selection criteria includes things like family in Canada and a government sponsored selection system. i should think families and orphaned children should be a high priority.

For 1. I believe it should be like Canada, where there is a points system, where people apply and are accepted determined by skill, the need for that skill, experience, language, etc.

unfortunately a lot of people who should fall into 1 but don't have the skill or experience fight their way into number 2, muddying the waters and making it more difficult for genuine people in need.

Students and temporary workers could be a third type.

Groo does what Groo does best

Login to get fewer ads

BREXIT - the Immigration question on 18:27 - Nov 3 with 1763 viewsyescomeon

BREXIT - the Immigration question on 18:00 - Nov 3 by Highjack

Why is this?

No idea, rather be on benefits? Just guessing anyway. I know of British people doing fruit picking. Im from a rural area though, most young people move to cities though, so I guess it's forgien labour is needed.

Upthecity!

BREXIT - the Immigration question on 18:31 - Nov 3 with 1755 viewsyescomeon

BREXIT - the Immigration question on 18:18 - Nov 3 by Groo

There are two types of immigration, 1. Migrants looking to move to the UK and 2. Asylum seekers.

For 2. Britain should indicate how many they will take (there was mention of a promise of 20,000 by 2020). Asylum seekers which would include refugees are a World Wide problem and a burden to be shared by all Countries, each Country should have their own way of choosing, Canada for instance selects people from the camps in and around the troubled areas and the selection criteria includes things like family in Canada and a government sponsored selection system. i should think families and orphaned children should be a high priority.

For 1. I believe it should be like Canada, where there is a points system, where people apply and are accepted determined by skill, the need for that skill, experience, language, etc.

unfortunately a lot of people who should fall into 1 but don't have the skill or experience fight their way into number 2, muddying the waters and making it more difficult for genuine people in need.

Students and temporary workers could be a third type.

Good post. Easy for Canada to cherry pick the asylum seekers they want, they are pretty far removed from the worst areas. Students shouldn't count in the figures at all, would shave ~100k of the number, I'm surprised by one has done that already and said look hoe much we've got immigration down, be the first thing I did.

Upthecity!

BREXIT - the Immigration question on 19:25 - Nov 3 with 1710 viewssherpajacob

There's a young Polish lad plays in my son's under 8s. He is sh1t hot. I can easily see him becoming a pro, and who knows a welsh international if his family stay in the UK.

He's a nice kid and his dad is a top bloke. Plenty more like them would be welcome in my view.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

BREXIT - the Immigration question on 19:37 - Nov 3 with 1689 viewsLohengrin

BREXIT - the Immigration question on 19:25 - Nov 3 by sherpajacob

There's a young Polish lad plays in my son's under 8s. He is sh1t hot. I can easily see him becoming a pro, and who knows a welsh international if his family stay in the UK.

He's a nice kid and his dad is a top bloke. Plenty more like them would be welcome in my view.

I've just come home from a funeral where there was quite a heated discussion about immigration in the bar afterwards.

Nobody there mentioned Poles. I'm sure you can fill in the blanks, Sherpa.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

BREXIT - the Immigration question on 19:59 - Nov 3 with 1657 viewslondonlisa2001

BREXIT - the Immigration question on 19:37 - Nov 3 by Lohengrin

I've just come home from a funeral where there was quite a heated discussion about immigration in the bar afterwards.

Nobody there mentioned Poles. I'm sure you can fill in the blanks, Sherpa.

I can imagine.

I do hope they refuse when the immigrants they dislike are their best chance of getting a new hip or for that matter a heart operation in Morriston or Singleton.
BREXIT - the Immigration question on 20:03 - Nov 3 with 1654 viewsLohengrin

BREXIT - the Immigration question on 19:59 - Nov 3 by londonlisa2001

I can imagine.

I do hope they refuse when the immigrants they dislike are their best chance of getting a new hip or for that matter a heart operation in Morriston or Singleton.

Actually they were more concerned about heroin dealing than hip ops.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

BREXIT - the Immigration question on 20:14 - Nov 3 with 1639 viewsClinton

The remain argument Is that most immigrants come to work and pay more in taxes than they consume in resources. Most industrialists and employers see immigration as an unequivocally positive thing. Trendy metropolitan types with beards point out the benefits of the far superior cultural diversity.
On that basis if we let in about 10 million a year, we will be a very rich country, and all sitting out in pavement cafes nibbling the latest exotic delicacies.

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

BREXIT - the Immigration question on 21:06 - Nov 3 with 1603 viewswestside

Prime Minister May said immigration would be reduced to tens of thousands.

But no mention of the process of how they would determine a suitable figure for immigration or why they came up with a figure of tens of thousands or no date when they will deliver this.
BREXIT - the Immigration question on 21:42 - Nov 3 with 1584 viewsSwanzay

Voting for Brexit, had nothing to do with immigration for me, far more today about how we are being screwed by the EU and large corporations.

If people have to leave war torn countries because of the mess the "UK" put them in for greed and lies, hey we were in most part the instigators of this,just the politicians didn't see it coming!
BREXIT - the Immigration question on 22:10 - Nov 3 with 1557 viewsNookiejack

Seems to be a lot of NEETs in our country who could work?

NEET: Young People Not in Education, Employment or Training

http://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/SN06705

Can't we just improve our own education system in this country.?

Apparently 5 million in the UK only have a reading age of 11 or less.
http://www.literacytrust.org.uk/adult_literacy/illiterate_adults_in_england

Yet NHS recruits nurses from a developing country like the Philippines and hadn't contributed to any of the associated training costs - which seems scandalous.

How many people do we want in UK isn't our population density already highest in Europe excluding Belgium and Holland.
https://www.migrationwatchuk.org/briefing-paper/356

World population is expected to grow to 9.7 billion by 2050.

http://www.un.org/en/development/desa/news/population/2015-report.html

'Most of the projected increase in the world’s population can be attributed to a short list of high-fertility countries, mainly in Africa, or countries with already large populations. During 2015-2050, half of the world’s population growth is expected to be concentrated in nine countries: India, Nigeria, Pakistan, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Ethiopia, United Republic of Tanzania, United States of America (USA), Indonesia and Uganda, listed according to the size of their contribution to the total growth.'

So expect a lot more migration.

World is becoming more crowded which is likely for less wealth to be shared around.
BREXIT - the Immigration question on 22:13 - Nov 3 with 1550 viewsNookiejack

BREXIT - the Immigration question on 22:10 - Nov 3 by Nookiejack

Seems to be a lot of NEETs in our country who could work?

NEET: Young People Not in Education, Employment or Training

http://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/SN06705

Can't we just improve our own education system in this country.?

Apparently 5 million in the UK only have a reading age of 11 or less.
http://www.literacytrust.org.uk/adult_literacy/illiterate_adults_in_england

Yet NHS recruits nurses from a developing country like the Philippines and hadn't contributed to any of the associated training costs - which seems scandalous.

How many people do we want in UK isn't our population density already highest in Europe excluding Belgium and Holland.
https://www.migrationwatchuk.org/briefing-paper/356

World population is expected to grow to 9.7 billion by 2050.

http://www.un.org/en/development/desa/news/population/2015-report.html

'Most of the projected increase in the world’s population can be attributed to a short list of high-fertility countries, mainly in Africa, or countries with already large populations. During 2015-2050, half of the world’s population growth is expected to be concentrated in nine countries: India, Nigeria, Pakistan, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Ethiopia, United Republic of Tanzania, United States of America (USA), Indonesia and Uganda, listed according to the size of their contribution to the total growth.'

So expect a lot more migration.

World is becoming more crowded which is likely for less wealth to be shared around.

.......world is being more crowded so likely to be less wealth per head.
BREXIT - the Immigration question on 22:33 - Nov 3 with 1516 viewsyescomeon

I tend to think of migration as like osmosis (osmosis - noun - BIOLOGY CHEMISTRY - a process by which molecules of a solvent tend to pass through a semipermeable membrane from a less concentrated solution into a more concentrated one.) where in the analogy concentration of the solution reflects wealth. So unless there is an international re-distribution of wealth, immigration has to be accepted as a fact of life, a law of nature. I'm not sure I think there should be any limit on immigration myself, a natural equilibrium will be found over time.

Upthecity!

BREXIT - the Immigration question on 23:01 - Nov 3 with 1495 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

I believe we should only allow immigration in for people who have a job waiting for them and it is a job we are in short supply of people for.

I also believe we should admit our fair share of child refugees. I am not talking about refugees from Calais. I mean the actual orphaned children from war torn countries, such as Syria, who are stuck in camps in the Middle East.

Men capable of travelling on their own from Syria to Calais certainly are not in need of special assistance. The children left in those awful countries are.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

BREXIT - the Immigration question on 23:08 - Nov 3 with 1483 viewsHighjack

BREXIT - the Immigration question on 22:33 - Nov 3 by yescomeon

I tend to think of migration as like osmosis (osmosis - noun - BIOLOGY CHEMISTRY - a process by which molecules of a solvent tend to pass through a semipermeable membrane from a less concentrated solution into a more concentrated one.) where in the analogy concentration of the solution reflects wealth. So unless there is an international re-distribution of wealth, immigration has to be accepted as a fact of life, a law of nature. I'm not sure I think there should be any limit on immigration myself, a natural equilibrium will be found over time.

Good analogy until cytolysis occurs.

BREXIT - the Immigration question on 13:45 - Nov 4 with 1379 viewswestside

BREXIT - the Immigration question on 21:42 - Nov 3 by Swanzay

Voting for Brexit, had nothing to do with immigration for me, far more today about how we are being screwed by the EU and large corporations.

If people have to leave war torn countries because of the mess the "UK" put them in for greed and lies, hey we were in most part the instigators of this,just the politicians didn't see it coming!

We'll be screwed by big corporations and foreign governments now.

Big corporations like Nissan can tell the government what they want and the Chinese government can do the same to build hinkley point.

Brexit will mean less control and less influence with the big corporations and foreign governments having us over a barrel.

We'll just become more isolated and a country run for big business, foreign power and the wealthy elite while everyone else will become worst off with less opportunities.
BREXIT - the Immigration question on 16:20 - Nov 4 with 1328 viewsGroo

BREXIT - the Immigration question on 13:45 - Nov 4 by westside

Big corporations like Nissan can tell the government what they want and the Chinese government can do the same to build hinkley point.

Brexit will mean less control and less influence with the big corporations and foreign governments having us over a barrel.

We'll just become more isolated and a country run for big business, foreign power and the wealthy elite while everyone else will become worst off with less opportunities.

Nonsense

Groo does what Groo does best

BREXIT - the Immigration question on 16:57 - Nov 4 with 1302 viewsJack_Meoff

BREXIT - the Immigration question on 13:45 - Nov 4 by westside

We already are those things, and have been for decades since Neoliberalism became the dominant ideology. Think Whitehall serves the best interests of the populace?

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024