Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Suicide is the leading killer of men under 50... 20:09 - Nov 22 with 7039 viewswestwalesed

...in the UK.

26% of all male deaths under the age of 34 are suicide.

An open discussion please, why?

Poll: Live in a country with no internet?

Suicide is the leading killer of men under 50... on 20:21 - Nov 22 with 2750 viewsFearOfAJackPlanet

Society is becoming more 'gender-neutral' for want of a better phrase, and men are finding it harder to adapt.

Enjoying the next level
Poll: Have you ever seen Swansea City relegated before?

Suicide is the leading killer of men under 50... on 20:21 - Nov 22 with 2749 viewsDarran

I don't know but it's awful.

One of the DJs on Planet Rock is cycling from London to Porthcawl via Edinburgh starting on Friday for this kind of thing.

http://www.wyattwendels.com

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Suicide is the leading killer of men under 50... on 20:25 - Nov 22 with 2735 viewsmorningstar

There are many causes of death. Most are, in the main not attributed to under 50's. So when we are talking about deaths from this age group, natural causes would be pretty low on the agenda. Therefore, although extremely sad, it's really not a big surprise that suicide accounts for 26% of deaths think about, what other causes are they competing against?
[Post edited 22 Nov 2016 20:28]

Only winner of Planetswans Petulant Diva award.
Poll: Southampton home next. How many points

Suicide is the leading killer of men under 50... on 20:25 - Nov 22 with 2733 viewsperchrockjack

Expectations ,pressure and fear of failure.

Huge social peer pressures.

Suicides resonate badly with me,mainly as ivecseen too many.

Please God none of you witness the leftovers of a train suicide.

Hanging isn't too bad, shooting is messy .

Kids...be yourselves and fook what people think

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Suicide is the leading killer of men under 50... on 20:26 - Nov 22 with 2734 viewsdickythorpe

Disillusionment perhaps?
Drugs and alcohol abuse?
Relationship breakdown with family or partner?
Fatigue?
Doom and gloom in the media and workplace?

There's many, many more reasons I'm sure.
Personally I think I see more colleagues in work under the age of 34 getting wound up with working conditions. Many do the bare minimum as they don't feel any employer values them. Plus many can't save their money so talk of pensions and the future is alien to them.
Suicide is the leading killer of men under 50... on 20:53 - Nov 22 with 2700 viewsLord_Bony

Awful ,there must be more help for younger people to come forward.

Anti depressants dont help long term they make it worse.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Suicide is the leading killer of men under 50... on 21:44 - Nov 22 with 2657 viewsbuilthjack

Very very sad.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Suicide is the leading killer of men under 50... on 21:46 - Nov 22 with 2648 viewsperchrockjack

I also remember a few kids asking me for suggestions for suicide, viz ,what s the surest way , which Isla clear sign they ain't kidding, like many would be jumpers on motorways

Login to get fewer ads

Suicide is the leading killer of men under 50... on 22:11 - Nov 22 with 2614 viewsLeonWasGod

Boredom
Less novelty and wonder in life
Doing the same sh*t day in day out for years
Work pressures leaving less time for family
Family pressures leaving less time for friends and hobbies

It's no surprise really 😕
[Post edited 22 Nov 2016 23:03]
Suicide is the leading killer of men under 50... on 22:58 - Nov 22 with 2573 viewssherpajacob

A life too short by Robert reng about the German goalkeeper Robert enke, and coming back to me by Marcus trescothick, both excellent by books on the subject of depression and suicide.

It could happen to anybody

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Suicide is the leading killer of men under 50... on 23:06 - Nov 22 with 2564 viewsTheFranchise

It's no laughing matter. It's more difficult for men of all ages to discuss poor mental health and therefore people don't seek help.

I've had and still have my battles with anxiety, so much that I had to give up my season ticket a few years ago and not been back since. The depression comes and goes, some days I'm great, others I have no desire to move. People are quite ignorant too, it's not their fault, they don't want to learn so don't. I've lost count the number of times I've been asked why I'm sad or why can't I pull myself together.

Stigma prevents open discussion. We've had this thread before, I was pleasantly surprised with most of the responses.

If anyone reads this and thinks they need to chat, PM me, I will talk.
Suicide is the leading killer of men under 50... on 23:15 - Nov 22 with 2553 viewsJackfath

Suicide is the leading killer of men under 50... on 23:06 - Nov 22 by TheFranchise

It's no laughing matter. It's more difficult for men of all ages to discuss poor mental health and therefore people don't seek help.

I've had and still have my battles with anxiety, so much that I had to give up my season ticket a few years ago and not been back since. The depression comes and goes, some days I'm great, others I have no desire to move. People are quite ignorant too, it's not their fault, they don't want to learn so don't. I've lost count the number of times I've been asked why I'm sad or why can't I pull myself together.

Stigma prevents open discussion. We've had this thread before, I was pleasantly surprised with most of the responses.

I love you Dave. Xx

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Suicide is the leading killer of men under 50... on 23:34 - Nov 22 with 2535 viewsSwanzay

A few years back the was the high rate of suicide incidents in Bridgend, which must have been very harrowing for the local community and especially for the families involved.

I previously volunteered for the Samaritans for around 3 years on the phones and it was an incredible insight to the reality of the situation and how many people are just about hanging on day by day.

The Govt "austerity"cuts to support have also been to key as to why many feel its their only option.
Suicide is the leading killer of men under 50... on 23:54 - Nov 22 with 2520 viewsRogerstone

I speak from experience but until uve been there or seen it first hand u don't understand.

It's easy to think that people have to pull themselves together but that isn't the case. I was lucky to be seen by a very understanding trainee doc and I still have daily battles.

My advice is to talk to someone. The Samaritans do a sterling job

"Gylfi's on fire, your defence is terrified!"

Suicide is the leading killer of men under 50... on 00:36 - Nov 23 with 2507 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Suicide is the leading killer of men under 50... on 23:06 - Nov 22 by TheFranchise

Counselling and hypnotherapy helped me enormously. Whenever the dark cloud comes down now it's still bad but I'm much more adept at dealing with it.

Pills aren't the answer either. It's amazing how many people are living with depression and think it's how life is meant to be. With a little of the right help it can change someone's life for the better completely.

These days GPs are well trained to listen and direct you to the right help

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Suicide is the leading killer of men under 50... on 08:53 - Nov 23 with 2444 viewsWarwickHunt

Suicide is the leading killer of men under 50... on 20:21 - Nov 22 by Darran

I don't know but it's awful.

One of the DJs on Planet Rock is cycling from London to Porthcawl via Edinburgh starting on Friday for this kind of thing.

http://www.wyattwendels.com

I hope his taste in music is better than his knowledge of geography.
Suicide is the leading killer of men under 50... on 09:25 - Nov 23 with 2421 viewsLeonWasGod

Suicide is the leading killer of men under 50... on 23:34 - Nov 22 by Swanzay

A few years back the was the high rate of suicide incidents in Bridgend, which must have been very harrowing for the local community and especially for the families involved.

I previously volunteered for the Samaritans for around 3 years on the phones and it was an incredible insight to the reality of the situation and how many people are just about hanging on day by day.

The Govt "austerity"cuts to support have also been to key as to why many feel its their only option.

Yeah, I remember that. Wasn't it a strange spike in mostly teenagers? Either some weird copycat thing going on or that's what Bridgend does to people.

Not quite related, buta couple of weeks ago was an item on the radio about bullying. The things school kids say on social media is just shocking. I can easily see them egging each other on to commit suicide.
Suicide is the leading killer of men under 50... on 09:47 - Nov 23 with 2410 viewsTheFranchise

Suicide is the leading killer of men under 50... on 09:25 - Nov 23 by LeonWasGod

Yeah, I remember that. Wasn't it a strange spike in mostly teenagers? Either some weird copycat thing going on or that's what Bridgend does to people.

Not quite related, buta couple of weeks ago was an item on the radio about bullying. The things school kids say on social media is just shocking. I can easily see them egging each other on to commit suicide.

The stuff teenagers are exposed to is insane. When we were younger, anyone that was bullied could hide away after school etc. With Facebook, twitter, snapchat etc there is no hiding. The current crop arent too streetwise either so they struggle more.
Suicide is the leading killer of men under 50... on 09:53 - Nov 23 with 2404 viewsperchrockjack

Franchise is dead right.

I find many young uns incredibly shollow and naive, mainly as they are cushioned from reality and find the Internet world and real life blurred.

Many of our dads were out in the real hard world at 14 and had to cope.

Kids now often cannot and it's a sign of the times.

I d hate to be under 25 these days

Suicide is the leading killer of men under 50... on 09:59 - Nov 23 with 2402 viewsdickythorpe

There's many unsympathetic or apathetic people out there. Bosses can be very poor at listening, work mates and friends have pressures that mean they cant deal with anothers problems.
Tough times.
Franchise is right , get professional help or seek out organisations/individuals who offer their help.
Suicide is the leading killer of men under 50... on 10:41 - Nov 23 with 2389 viewswestwalesed

Thanks for all the sensible replies, it's not a nice topic but one I feel very passionately about. I work in the mental health field and have frequent discussions with men, young men, about how they feel they could not talk to their mates if they were in trouble.

I decided to post on here as planet swans is mainly visited by men and I thought it would be interesting to see what people feel, behind the safety of a computer screen.

Suicide is the leading killer of men under 50... on 11:00 - Nov 23 with 2371 viewsswanjackal

Unfortunately there are many people in power who do not see it as an issue in this country. You only have to look at the response by the odious Jess Phillips to a committee seeking to introduce a day for Men's awareness, laughing at the idea.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

Suicide is the leading killer of men under 50... on 11:00 - Nov 23 with 2370 viewsSnakePlissken

It's harder for men to go and seek help. Even things like marriage breakups. Everything is geared towards the female getting, her the best help, counseling this that and the other, while the man is just expected to get on with it. Even though it usually means he's lost his home, most contact with his kids ect. Society doesn't really care about young men. When a man feels like he's lost everything, it's usually a very sad and lonely place for him to be in. All they can do is bottle it up, which sadly doesn't always work. Females won't think twice about having a good cry and opening up to their friend's or family . Men on the other hand would feel utterly embarrassed showing their emotions like that. I know I would
Suicide is the leading killer of men under 50... on 11:08 - Nov 23 with 2363 viewswestwalesed

Suicide is the leading killer of men under 50... on 11:00 - Nov 23 by SnakePlissken

It's harder for men to go and seek help. Even things like marriage breakups. Everything is geared towards the female getting, her the best help, counseling this that and the other, while the man is just expected to get on with it. Even though it usually means he's lost his home, most contact with his kids ect. Society doesn't really care about young men. When a man feels like he's lost everything, it's usually a very sad and lonely place for him to be in. All they can do is bottle it up, which sadly doesn't always work. Females won't think twice about having a good cry and opening up to their friend's or family . Men on the other hand would feel utterly embarrassed showing their emotions like that. I know I would

Within this I think there is a very important point that I am throwing around my head at the moment. You mentioned it with regard to "everything is geared towards the female getting"........I'm not sure if you intended it how I read it but here goes anyway...

Part of the problem as I see it, is that therapeutic environments are very female orientated. An example would be that a young man decides he wants to see a counsellor. If he wants to pay privately (which is the only way to get meaningful, long term counselling) then he goes online to find somebody. There are male counsellors, but the majority are female. The environment they operate in is very "touchy feely" female - comfy cushions, incense, the works. Is this what men need or want? I don't know.

Suicide is the leading killer of men under 50... on 11:16 - Nov 23 with 2354 viewsDarran

Suicide is the leading killer of men under 50... on 11:08 - Nov 23 by westwalesed

Within this I think there is a very important point that I am throwing around my head at the moment. You mentioned it with regard to "everything is geared towards the female getting"........I'm not sure if you intended it how I read it but here goes anyway...

Part of the problem as I see it, is that therapeutic environments are very female orientated. An example would be that a young man decides he wants to see a counsellor. If he wants to pay privately (which is the only way to get meaningful, long term counselling) then he goes online to find somebody. There are male counsellors, but the majority are female. The environment they operate in is very "touchy feely" female - comfy cushions, incense, the works. Is this what men need or want? I don't know.

Funny thing when the Wyatt on Planet Rock announced he was riding for CALM a men's charity he had a few tweets accusing him of sexism.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024