Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dry January again 17:43 - Jan 10 with 2374 viewsjacktar

Despite supporting a team that's enough to drive anyone to drink, I have decided to try the month without alcohol.
Although I only started on the 3rd January (social commitments ) I have managed a week so far.
Anyone else giving it a go?

(Regular drinkers only need reply )

We shouldn't all be tarred with the same brush you know!

Dry January again on 18:09 - Jan 10 with 2344 viewsmax936

Nope I had 4 of bottles of ales last Saturday first since NYE, out this weekend so a few more, but no plans to stop having a couple on a Saturday.

Good effort by you hope you last the month, keep us updated

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Dry January again on 18:18 - Jan 10 with 2328 viewsClinton

Try dry from Monday to Thursday for January is best I can do.

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Dry January again on 18:19 - Jan 10 with 2325 viewsJackfath

Isn't is amazing how many alcohol dependents there are?

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Dry January again on 18:21 - Jan 10 with 2315 viewsDarran

Dry January again on 18:19 - Jan 10 by Jackfath

Isn't is amazing how many alcohol dependents there are?

Max doesn't drink.
[Post edited 10 Jan 2017 18:26]

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Dry January again on 18:21 - Jan 10 with 2314 viewsLord_Bony

May one ask,what is hoping to be achieved by a month of abstaining from the demon booze?

Presumably it will be followed by a wet February?

This post has been edited by an administrator

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Dry January again on 18:25 - Jan 10 with 2299 viewsdickythorpe

Moderation is the key.

Don't deprive yourself of something you'll miss.

A very wet Feb ahead!!!
Dry January again on 18:25 - Jan 10 with 2299 viewsJackfath

Dry January again on 18:21 - Jan 10 by Lord_Bony

May one ask,what is hoping to be achieved by a month of abstaining from the demon booze?

I've no idea, but I do know they like to tell everyone about it.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.

Dry January again on 18:29 - Jan 10 with 2277 viewsLord_Bony

https://www.theguardian.com/science/brain-flapping/2016/jan/05/alcohol-abstain-d

well here's an interesting article to answer that....

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"

Login to get fewer ads

Dry January again on 18:40 - Jan 10 with 2257 viewsjacktar

Dry January again on 18:21 - Jan 10 by Lord_Bony

If like me one is partial to a drink pretty much every day of the week (although not until after 6.00 pm through the week) and most of that at home, I think any cut down has to be of benefit.
Personally, I am hoping if I can see out the month, my aim would be to cut out/down the home drinking long term and hopefully restrict it to days and nights out.
Feeling OK after 1 week and even re-joined the gym after some time away from it.
Determined to give it my best but we shall see.

Dry January again on 18:41 - Jan 10 with 2254 viewsJackfath

Dry January again on 18:40 - Jan 10 by jacktar

If like me one is partial to a drink pretty much every day of the week (although not until after 6.00 pm through the week) and most of that at home, I think any cut down has to be of benefit.
Personally, I am hoping if I can see out the month, my aim would be to cut out/down the home drinking long term and hopefully restrict it to days and nights out.
Feeling OK after 1 week and even re-joined the gym after some time away from it.

Are you an alcoholic?

Dry January again on 18:44 - Jan 10 with 2241 viewslifelong

A doctor once told me that someone over 55 should have a tot of whisky 3 or 4 evenings a week.

I took his advice on board but substitute the whisky, occasionally, for a tot of brandy..
Dry January again on 18:49 - Jan 10 with 2233 viewsJackfath

Dry January again on 18:44 - Jan 10 by lifelong

A doctor once told me that someone over 55 should have a tot of whisky 3 or 4 evenings a week.

I took his advice on board but substitute the whisky, occasionally, for a tot of brandy..

Was the doctor an alcoholic?

Dry January again on 18:52 - Jan 10 with 2229 viewslifelong

Dry January again on 18:49 - Jan 10 by Jackfath

[Post edited 10 Jan 2017 19:19]
Dry January again on 18:53 - Jan 10 with 2227 viewsLord_Bony

Dry January again on 18:40 - Jan 10 by jacktar

If we re honest here,a drink at home is just so godamn enjoyable.

but about 2 or 3 cans or equivalent say two or three times I think is OK, but
A lot depends on how healthy and efficient ones liver is I suppose.

As we get older we re either lucky in that respect or not....trouble is we won't know until it packs up without warning sometimes.

Dry January again on 19:14 - Jan 10 with 2188 viewsjacktar

Dry January again on 18:41 - Jan 10 by Jackfath

Are you an alcoholic?

I certainly drink a lot more than the national safe drinking guidlines but where do you draw the line on being an alcoholic. I've never missed work or any intended jobs I needed to do as the result of drinking too much but accept that I do.

Are you an alcoholic?

Dry January again on 19:19 - Jan 10 with 2176 viewsdickythorpe

Dry January again on 18:49 - Jan 10 by Jackfath

Dry January again on 19:19 - Jan 10 with 2173 viewsdickythorpe

Dry January again on 18:52 - Jan 10 by lifelong

Brilliant!!!
Dry January again on 19:21 - Jan 10 with 2163 viewsjacktar

Dry January again on 18:52 - Jan 10 by lifelong

What happened to your reply lifey? I enjoyed that.

Dry January again on 19:22 - Jan 10 with 2159 viewsJackfath

Dry January again on 19:14 - Jan 10 by jacktar

I certainly drink a lot more than the national safe drinking guidlines but where do you draw the line on being an alcoholic. I've never missed work or any intended jobs I needed to do as the result of drinking too much but accept that I do.

Are you an alcoholic?

I'm not. Each to their own, I appreciate.

I find the concept of people having a dry month interesting. Many I know start and fail saying they can't do it. When I ask them if they're therefore alcohol dependent they take offence and tell me they're not.

Are these people in denial?

Dry January again on 19:24 - Jan 10 with 2158 viewslifelong

Dry January again on 19:21 - Jan 10 by jacktar

What happened to your reply lifey? I enjoyed that.

I thought it was inappropriate so I deleted it, the doctor concerned reads this site and I wouldn't want to upset him.
Dry January again on 19:27 - Jan 10 with 2151 viewsdickythorpe

Dry January again on 19:24 - Jan 10 by lifelong

I thought it was inappropriate so I deleted it, the doctor concerned reads this site and I wouldn't want to upset him.

The doctor sounds a great character Lifey, I'm sure he wouldn't mind. ( and note out of respect I haven't said what you wrote )
Dry January again on 19:28 - Jan 10 with 2147 viewsJackfath

Dry January again on 19:24 - Jan 10 by lifelong

Does he get punchy when he's steaming then?

Dry January again on 19:35 - Jan 10 with 2130 viewsjacktar

Dry January again on 19:22 - Jan 10 by Jackfath

I'm not. Each to their own, I appreciate.

I find the concept of people having a dry month interesting. Many I know start and fail saying they can't do it. When I ask them if they're therefore alcohol dependent they take offence and tell me they're not.

Are these people in denial?

I would say in my case that I wasn't dependent because I have in the past decided not to partake on certain days of the week if i felt I wanted to.
I suppose true alcoholics, some of whom I know are unable to stop for a single day.
I have tended to drink regularly for most of my adult life but feel I am under a bit more control than some but as I said earlier "where do you draw the line?"

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024