Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The boss talks about leaders 00:38 - Jan 20 with 1856 viewsDyfnant

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38686267
Get your dollars out Steve & Jase, the guy Paul's talking about is sitting in Man Utd's reserves. German international in case it needs spelling out

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

The boss talks about leaders on 00:43 - Jan 20 with 1845 viewsDyfnant

Clement wants 'John Terry' type character as leader
By Mark Poyser
BBC Wales football reporter
1 hour ago From the sectionFootball
Share this page
Paul Clement
Paul Clement took over as Swansea boss in January, 2017 after Bob Bradley was sacked
Swansea City boss Paul Clement wants to sign a player with "presence and leadership" qualities before the end of the January transfer window.

He highlighted Chelsea's John Terry and Real Madrid's Sergio Ramos as the type of character he would like to bring in to the Premier League strugglers.

Clement admits that those sorts of players are hard to find.

He would also not be drawn on speculation linking them with a move for Everton defender Phil Jagielka.

Former captain Ashley Williams was sold to Everton in the summer and the Swans have struggled in defence since.

Former Sheffield United skipper Jagielka has played only twice since the Toffees' defeat at Southampton in November with Williams and Ramiro Funes Mori preferred in the centre of defence.

Alfie Mawson, 22, joined Swans from Barnsley at the end of August and has been part of a defence that has conceded 49 league goals.

That is the highest number conceded by a top-flight team this season and Swansea are bottom of the table as they travel to face Liverpool on Saturday.

"That is an important area," said Clement. "To have someone that's got presence, leadership qualities both from a psychological point from a view and from an organisational point of view.

"But you could say the same that that's important in a goalkeeper, that's important in a central midfield player and you'd like to think that you'd have 11 leaders out there, but you don't."

Clement highlighted Terry and Ramos at the type of player he admires along with Manchester United's Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

"It's becoming more rare in football as well that you have these characters like a John Terry for example, a Sergio Ramos," said Clement.

"I've worked at lots of big clubs, they're the two stand-out ones for me. Zlatan is another example.

"They're not easy to find these kind of players that have this confidence and ability to not only do their own job, but help others around them as well.

"There's a big demand on a player like that."

Clement expects his January recruitment to continue right up to the 31 January deadline day when they play Southampton at Liberty Stadium.

But he refused to be drawn on speculation linking them with a move for Everton defender Phil Jagielka.

Swansea's relegation rivals Sunderland have also been linked with Jagielka might leave.

When asked of Jagielka might leave, Everton boss Ronald Koeman said: "I don't know.

"It's all about if there is interest for Jag.

"Of course the last few weeks he did not start but he is important, he is the captain of the team.

"He is not happy because he is not starting and that's a good signal.

"What you need to do as a player is fight and make it difficult for the manager."
[Post edited 20 Jan 2017 0:47]

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

The boss talks about leaders on 07:35 - Jan 20 with 1661 viewsNOTRAC

We had that type of player in Williams,but idiot let him go.

Poll: Has the Europa Cup been worth entering this year?

The boss talks about leaders on 07:44 - Jan 20 with 1632 viewsSTID2017

The boss talks about leaders on 07:35 - Jan 20 by NOTRAC

We had that type of player in Williams,but idiot let him go.

When are people going to accept Williams and Ayew wanted away.
The only thing HJ did wrong with Williams was not to put his price tag much higher

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

The boss talks about leaders on 07:58 - Jan 20 with 1601 viewsNeathJack

The boss talks about leaders on 07:44 - Jan 20 by STID2017

The only thing HJ did wrong with Williams was not to put his price tag much higher

And replace him.
The boss talks about leaders on 08:22 - Jan 20 with 1544 viewsHeadmaster

He left 4 days before the first game of the season. Even if he had to be sold, there should have been a replacement lined up long before the transfer. Incredible misjudgement on Jenkins' part.
The boss talks about leaders on 08:23 - Jan 20 with 1541 viewsSTID2017

The boss talks about leaders on 07:58 - Jan 20 by NeathJack

And replace him.

Yes your right about that. As soon as we sold him he should have been replaced with a competent CB and leader.

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

The boss talks about leaders on 09:18 - Jan 20 with 1430 viewsTheResurrection

You're not serious are you?? Schweinsteiger?

And Clement's interviews are starting to worry me. Why is he even mentioning names like Terry, Ramos and Ibrahimovic, even if they are just being used as comparisons. It's not saying a lot about your actual contacts Mr Clement, just that you've worked at big Clubs - well hey, if this hasn't been pointed out to you yet, we're not!!

Get real - get on with the job of improving our infrastructure and stop dreaming about football legends. It's a weak start and naive beyond belief.

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like
Poll: Is it time for the Trust to make change happen?

The boss talks about leaders on 09:22 - Jan 20 with 1416 viewsSmellyplumz

If Clement wants a leader we need to start by getting rid of Junkins.

""Although I cannot promise or predict the future, I can guarantee one thing - the current board of directors will always fight, as we have done over the last 12 years, to work together as one with the Supporters Trust to make 100% sure that Swansea City football club remains the number one priority in all our thoughts and in every decision we make."
Poll: Huw Jenkins

Login to get fewer ads

The boss talks about leaders on 09:27 - Jan 20 with 1393 viewscostalotta

I think you'll find that it was not the only mistake nor the worst! You seem to be forgetting that he did NOT adequately replace either. That is why we are where we are. The price was set to sell ASAP so the money coming into the club looked good when selling. Simples.

HJ is a full on Lieing caniving robbing C/nt.
The boss talks about leaders (n/t) on 09:37 - Jan 20 with 1367 viewsSwaneeRiver

The boss talks about leaders on 09:27 - Jan 20 by costalotta

I think you'll find that it was not the only mistake nor the worst! You seem to be forgetting that he did NOT adequately replace either. That is why we are where we are. The price was set to sell ASAP so the money coming into the club looked good when selling. Simples.

[Post edited 20 Jan 2017 9:38]
The boss talks about leaders on 10:36 - Jan 20 with 1259 viewsLeonWasGod

Well I've got to say that what PC says sounds a lot more sensible than Bob's take on it, which was 'we need everyone to stand up and be a leader'.

By definition everyone can't be a leader and few are suited to it on the pitch.

That always reminded me of the scene in Monty Python's Life of Brian:

You're all individuals.
[crowd] Yes, we're all individuals!
You're all different.
[crowd] Yes, we're all different!

[Lone voice] I'm not
The boss talks about leaders on 10:41 - Jan 20 with 1243 viewsLeonWasGod

The boss talks about leaders on 09:27 - Jan 20 by costalotta

Failing to realise they needed to replace was the sin. I can see how the quick sale was an issue as the transaction won't show on accounts for a while and will probably be spread across years anyway. Wasn't he also the most expensive defender for his age too?

But not replacing our captain and our top goal scorer
The boss talks about leaders on 11:04 - Jan 20 with 1205 viewsjack247

The boss talks about leaders on 09:18 - Jan 20 by TheResurrection

You're not serious are you?? Schweinsteiger?

And Clement's interviews are starting to worry me. Why is he even mentioning names like Terry, Ramos and Ibrahimovic, even if they are just being used as comparisons. It's not saying a lot about your actual contacts Mr Clement, just that you've worked at big Clubs - well hey, if this hasn't been pointed out to you yet, we're not!!

Get real - get on with the job of improving our infrastructure and stop dreaming about football legends. It's a weak start and naive beyond belief.

I agree with that, he was talking about Badstuber the other day. He would be better employed identifying players in that mould within our budget and trying to bring them here.

The bit about needing a John Terry type in central defence is spot on. He would be better articulating it in a way that didn't make him seem like a fantasist though. Just describe the qualities. We aren't idiots that need examples.
The boss talks about leaders on 12:12 - Jan 20 with 1117 viewssnork44

The boss talks about leaders on 11:04 - Jan 20 by jack247

I agree with that, he was talking about Badstuber the other day. He would be better employed identifying players in that mould within our budget and trying to bring them here.

The bit about needing a John Terry type in central defence is spot on. He would be better articulating it in a way that didn't make him seem like a fantasist though. Just describe the qualities. We aren't idiots that need examples.

PC can talk about getting all the leaders he wants ,it's what's on Huwbert's list that matters. As we now know , he still has control so don't expect anyone else coming in this transfer window, other clubs will identify the problem areas, we just see who tickled Huws fancy in 2014 and made it in onto his fantasy Xl.

Premier Snork now watching from the USA
Poll: What do you prefer on Planet Swans after a game?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024