Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The NHS 21:10 - Jan 21 with 14368 viewsexiledclaseboy

I've debated long and hard about posting this but I decided it was worth it as we've seen many threads and posts decrying the NHS and I wanted to redress the balance.

On 12 December my wife went for a routine examination which revealed "something nasty" in her bowel. No symptoms at all, simply a follow up from an unrelated problem from about a month before. Biopsies were taken and we were called back a few days before Christmas to have it confirmed that she has bowel cancer. She had a scan a few days after Christmas to check the cancer hadn't spread (thankfully it hadn't) and that was confirmed last Monday. Yesterday she had the operation to remove the tumour. She's now recovering in Morriston Hospital.

So from initial suspicion of something sinister on 12 December to probably life saving operation five weeks later on 20 January. We haven't had to worry about money and the care at every stage so far has been superb.

I realise that we can all only speak from our personal experiences and that not everyone's will mirror our own. But there is ours. Thank you, NHS.

Poll: Tory leader

The NHS on 21:18 - Jan 21 with 5441 viewsdickythorpe

We have Swansea in our hearts and blood ECB, in this era we need to talk as people about things that many previous generations ignored or shrugged off.

So many lives are being affected more than ever it seems.

What I am thankful in reading your post is that firstly your wife is recuperating well and has seemingly had good care, then secondly someone reading this may now take action if they or a loved one/ friend isn't " feeling right"

I wish I could be more eloquent and articulate, but acting early may really, really hold the key in the fight against this bloody disease.

Much love to you and your wife and you know where we are on here.
The NHS on 21:18 - Jan 21 with 5437 viewsunion_jack

Firstly sorry that your wife contracted this awful disease and wish her and you all the very best.

In terms of the quality of the NHS, I can't fault it. It's only bad experiences that hit the news headlines, which is par for the course.

Three years ago my mother was diagnosed with the same just before Christmas. She was operated on in January and is as fit as a fiddle now. She is 83 and she can't speak highly enough of the treatment and post operative care she has received.

The treatment of this disease has increased enormously over the years and your wife is undoubtedly in the very best of hands. I am sure she will make a full recovery.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

The NHS on 21:20 - Jan 21 with 5434 viewsJoe_bradshaw

The very best of luck to your wife (and you of course), it's an awful thing to experience.

The NHS is at its best when lives are at stake in my experience and it's when expectations are unreasonably high in relation to the amount of tax we are prepared to pay to fund it that we find it wanting.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

The NHS on 21:20 - Jan 21 with 5434 viewsMurph75

The NHS on 21:18 - Jan 21 by union_jack

Firstly sorry that your wife contracted this awful disease and wish her and you all the very best.

In terms of the quality of the NHS, I can't fault it. It's only bad experiences that hit the news headlines, which is par for the course.

Three years ago my mother was diagnosed with the same just before Christmas. She was operated on in January and is as fit as a fiddle now. She is 83 and she can't speak highly enough of the treatment and post operative care she has received.

The treatment of this disease has increased enormously over the years and your wife is undoubtedly in the very best of hands. I am sure she will make a full recovery.

Totally agree.
[Post edited 21 Jan 2017 21:21]
The NHS on 21:20 - Jan 21 with 5430 viewsGowerjack

All the best to your missus and you.

Agreed, I have had occasion to be in the care of the NHS after suffering a minor stroke and I have nothing but respect and gratitude for the care I received.

I bet there are loads on here who feel the same.
[Post edited 21 Jan 2017 21:22]

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

The NHS on 21:22 - Jan 21 with 5402 viewsDarran

The NHS saved my life.

Imagine this forum without me.

Love you Mr & Mrs Cude.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

The NHS on 21:24 - Jan 21 with 5391 viewsexiledclaseboy

The NHS on 21:18 - Jan 21 by dickythorpe

We have Swansea in our hearts and blood ECB, in this era we need to talk as people about things that many previous generations ignored or shrugged off.

So many lives are being affected more than ever it seems.

What I am thankful in reading your post is that firstly your wife is recuperating well and has seemingly had good care, then secondly someone reading this may now take action if they or a loved one/ friend isn't " feeling right"

I wish I could be more eloquent and articulate, but acting early may really, really hold the key in the fight against this bloody disease.

Much love to you and your wife and you know where we are on here.

Great post. It was a complete accident that they'd found it. It's such a c*nt of a disease.

The NHS on 21:38 - Jan 21 with 5325 viewsHumpty

Best wishes to the both of you.

Glad she's on the mend.
Login to get fewer ads

The NHS on 21:39 - Jan 21 with 5326 viewsbonymine

The NHS on 21:24 - Jan 21 by exiledclaseboy

Great post. It was a complete accident that they'd found it. It's such a c*nt of a disease.

As the away fans banner about Bradley Lowery the young Sunderland fan who we all know so well said recently ;

'Cancer knows no colours'

My Dad has just finished seven and a half weeks radiotherapy at Singleton Hospital every day but the staff are absolutely wonderful there and Maggies is an unbelievable resource/comfort....Sarah is amazing so knowledgeable yet so welcoming and approachable.

Hope everything works out well for your wife, you and your family Andrew sincere best wishes for the future and stay positive at all times 👍

YJB.

STID. Together Stronger. 💪💪💪

Poll: Why is this site so quiet these days ?

The NHS on 21:46 - Jan 21 with 5302 viewsNogginthenog

Having suffered the same myself I am testament to the life saving work that NHS does. Its dismantling shames us all and we simply must not let it happen even if it means we have to pay a bit more in tax.

I wish your wife and family all the very best .
The NHS on 21:52 - Jan 21 with 5273 viewsDarran

No H on the end I know but it's pronounced the same so let's have a song for Mrs C. ❤

The NHS on 21:59 - Jan 21 with 5255 viewsexiledclaseboy

The NHS on 21:52 - Jan 21 by Darran

No H on the end I know but it's pronounced the same so let's have a song for Mrs C. ❤

You big, soft lump

The NHS on 22:01 - Jan 21 with 5238 viewsWxmJax

My mother in law was diagnosed and told she required an operation as soon as possible. It originally got cancelled twice, once on the morning of the operation, the other, two days before due to a lack of beds. The only person in North Wales capable of doing the operation then moved hospitals and so she went from being next on the list to behind those on the new hospital's list. Stressful indeed. It was now a 90 minute trip to the new hospital instead of 10 minutes from the first. When you have to be there by 7.30am it makes a difference, especially for the patient who wasn't very well. The operation was then cancelled a further 3 times, twice again on the day and so I got in touch with both our 2 local AM's and our MP who got in the ear of the head of the health board.

I didn't really care who I upset by now and within 2 weeks the operation was finally performed.
The staff there were great and we can't thank them enough but what went on beforehand was a joke and if it was ever to happen again I wouldn't be so reasonable or understanding. It is a sad state of affairs but you really do have to look after number one because no none else will.

I wish a speedy recovery to your wife.
[Post edited 21 Jan 2017 22:06]

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

The NHS on 22:02 - Jan 21 with 5225 viewsDarran

The NHS on 21:59 - Jan 21 by exiledclaseboy

You big, soft lump

Love you Man but you already know that.

The NHS on 22:07 - Jan 21 with 5208 viewsjack2jack

Wishing your missus a speedy and complete recovery,our family has been touched by this terrible disease.
Again best wishes to you both
The NHS on 22:08 - Jan 21 with 5202 viewsItchySphincter

Best wishes, fingers and toes crossed for you.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

The NHS on 22:13 - Jan 21 with 5180 viewsexiledclaseboy

The NHS on 22:01 - Jan 21 by WxmJax

My mother in law was diagnosed and told she required an operation as soon as possible. It originally got cancelled twice, once on the morning of the operation, the other, two days before due to a lack of beds. The only person in North Wales capable of doing the operation then moved hospitals and so she went from being next on the list to behind those on the new hospital's list. Stressful indeed. It was now a 90 minute trip to the new hospital instead of 10 minutes from the first. When you have to be there by 7.30am it makes a difference, especially for the patient who wasn't very well. The operation was then cancelled a further 3 times, twice again on the day and so I got in touch with both our 2 local AM's and our MP who got in the ear of the head of the health board.

I didn't really care who I upset by now and within 2 weeks the operation was finally performed.
The staff there were great and we can't thank them enough but what went on beforehand was a joke and if it was ever to happen again I wouldn't be so reasonable or understanding. It is a sad state of affairs but you really do have to look after number one because no none else will.

I wish a speedy recovery to your wife.
[Post edited 21 Jan 2017 22:06]

I'm not sure how anyone would have reacted in those circumstances and that's partly why I said we can each only relate to our own experiences. I hope your mother in law is doing well now.
[Post edited 21 Jan 2017 22:23]

The NHS on 22:23 - Jan 21 with 5135 viewsblueytheblue

Best wishes to you and your wife, ECB.

Poll: Alternate POTY final

The NHS on 22:25 - Jan 21 with 5119 viewsBLAZE

All the very best wishes to you both
The NHS on 22:27 - Jan 21 with 5095 viewsMagic_Michu

The NHS, even in its current state under funded, is one of the best things about our country.

I for one would happily pay more taxes if I thought it would go to the NHS rather than bailing out bankers and building more nuclear weapons which of course makes our country safer.

Twitter: @swanseadan
Poll: Will the Woods deal happen?

The NHS on 22:29 - Jan 21 with 5085 viewslifelong

Best wishes to your wife and yourself ECB.

It's a similar scenario to somebody very close to me well over 10 years ago, she is now in her middle 70's and fighting fit.. good luck to you both.
The NHS on 22:29 - Jan 21 with 5081 viewsphact0rri

Honestly these are the stories, I wish made it across the pond more. Quite often being a "leftie" over here (USA), and talk about socialized health reform people quite simply talk about long queues and substandard care-- knowing fackall about it.

You never hear what the NHS does for the people, or any other national healthcare service globally. I mean the japanese health scheme is quite brilliant, if what my girlfriend says is true. It works from a universal insurance set up, yet even throwing in a Bob for life saving heart surgery is virtually unheard of through it.

Good on the NHS, and I'm so glad to hear your story Exile, and hope your wife is doing well. :D Do you mind if I share this?
[Post edited 21 Jan 2017 22:30]

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

The NHS on 22:30 - Jan 21 with 5077 viewsFearOfAJackPlanet

The NHS increasingly seems like one of those brilliant, noble ideas let down by those in it's care. I don't hold out much hope for it to continue as a state-run, funded by taxation collective effort of communal healthcare. I get the feeling the tides of time are against it.

My father was taken by bowel cancer, it's such a nasty, fiendish, sly version of cancer. Great to hear fate intervened to get early intervention for your wife.

Enjoying the next level
Poll: Have you ever seen Swansea City relegated before?

The NHS on 22:56 - Jan 21 with 5002 viewsJack_Meoff

Sincerest best wishes to you both. Hideous, indiscriminate disease.

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

The NHS on 23:00 - Jan 21 with 4988 viewsexiledclaseboy

The NHS on 22:29 - Jan 21 by phact0rri

Honestly these are the stories, I wish made it across the pond more. Quite often being a "leftie" over here (USA), and talk about socialized health reform people quite simply talk about long queues and substandard care-- knowing fackall about it.

You never hear what the NHS does for the people, or any other national healthcare service globally. I mean the japanese health scheme is quite brilliant, if what my girlfriend says is true. It works from a universal insurance set up, yet even throwing in a Bob for life saving heart surgery is virtually unheard of through it.

Good on the NHS, and I'm so glad to hear your story Exile, and hope your wife is doing well. :D Do you mind if I share this?
[Post edited 21 Jan 2017 22:30]

Not at all.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024