Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rate our Transfer Window 13:46 - Feb 1 with 3421 viewsAustinIsOurHero

Can't see a thread this, so thought I'd canvas peoples opinions. I'm only counting 1st team transfers here.

In's
Olsson
Caroll
Narsingh
Jordan Ayew

Out's
Mo Barrow
Neil Taylor
Marvin Emnes

I'd give us a B- overall.

Players who came in could end up being vital & the players who left clearly had no future (even though two of them are on loan).

I still don't think we strengthened in vital areas - CB and DF especially.

Of the free agents out there - Martin Cacares, Raul Mireles, Michael Essien & Nigel Reo Coker would be useful additions.

Thoughts?

Poll: How many points will be get from the next two games?

Rate our Transfer Window on 14:03 - Feb 1 with 3398 viewsLandore_Jack

Disappointed in not signing a centre back, right back, defensive midfielder and a striker.

Cacares would be a good signing.

I would give a C Grade.

#backtojack

Rate our Transfer Window on 14:21 - Feb 1 with 3372 viewsjasper_T

B-? Very specific.

Let's give it a few weeks before we decide how great/sht these players really are, yeah?
Rate our Transfer Window on 14:33 - Feb 1 with 3354 viewsMorfa_Same

The business we've done is OK - it's the business we haven't done that could come back and bite us.

We had problems in every defensive position coming into this window - LB, RB, CB and DM. The fact we've only addressed one of those positions is a concern and even that is not a major upgrade. We were never going to fix all those positions but two was the least we should have aimed for. We just have to hope that better organisation and coaching can address the rest.
Rate our Transfer Window on 15:03 - Feb 1 with 3315 viewsmajorraglan

Rate our Transfer Window on 14:33 - Feb 1 by Morfa_Same

The business we've done is OK - it's the business we haven't done that could come back and bite us.

We had problems in every defensive position coming into this window - LB, RB, CB and DM. The fact we've only addressed one of those positions is a concern and even that is not a major upgrade. We were never going to fix all those positions but two was the least we should have aimed for. We just have to hope that better organisation and coaching can address the rest.

My personal opinion is C - if the Swans are still in the Premier League next year then I expect PC to make a lot of changes to the squad next summer. If it's Championship footy next season, I expect wholesale changes and a lot of the big earners to be moved on.
Rate our Transfer Window on 15:04 - Feb 1 with 3314 viewsnantywatcher

WE DON'T NEED A CB. If we had settled on the FF/AW partnership two months earlier we would be up comfortably in mid-table by now. Still early days and I can only see them getting better over time.
Rate our Transfer Window on 15:54 - Feb 2 with 3173 viewsTummer_from_Texas

On paper I would have called it a B, but with the hindsight already of learning how much better Carroll is than anyone expected, I'm going with: A-.

We upgraded 40% of our 1st team outfield, each one of these guys will be among the first on our team sheet when they are healthy, and we did that for less than 20 million pounds. That's incredibly efficient by PL standards, especially in January when players are at a premium.

The three guys we lost/loaned out were purely surplus, with the possible exception of Modou, but he seems to have fallen out of favor anyway.

Also, I'm giving us bonus points for turning down 30 mill for Siggy and hanging on to Llorente.

Only thing keeping this from being a perfect (A+) window is not adding a RB or CB. On the other hand though, you want only so much change at once. 6 new 1st team outfield players would have been a lot to integrate in midseason.

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Rate our Transfer Window on 17:19 - Feb 2 with 3101 viewsandrew

No right back will come back and bite us

Poll: Can’t see the new guy coming in to sit on the bench so, who’s off?

Rate our Transfer Window on 21:47 - Feb 2 with 3022 viewsPatchesOHoulihan

Rate our Transfer Window on 15:54 - Feb 2 by Tummer_from_Texas

On paper I would have called it a B, but with the hindsight already of learning how much better Carroll is than anyone expected, I'm going with: A-.

We upgraded 40% of our 1st team outfield, each one of these guys will be among the first on our team sheet when they are healthy, and we did that for less than 20 million pounds. That's incredibly efficient by PL standards, especially in January when players are at a premium.

The three guys we lost/loaned out were purely surplus, with the possible exception of Modou, but he seems to have fallen out of favor anyway.

Also, I'm giving us bonus points for turning down 30 mill for Siggy and hanging on to Llorente.

Only thing keeping this from being a perfect (A+) window is not adding a RB or CB. On the other hand though, you want only so much change at once. 6 new 1st team outfield players would have been a lot to integrate in midseason.

This

really positive without spending stupid money which rarely works

Keeping the 2 jumps it up for me especially after seeing the last 2 games

This is Patches O'Houlihan saying "Take care of your balls, and they'll take care of you."

Login to get fewer ads

Rate our Transfer Window on 21:51 - Feb 2 with 3015 viewsdickythorpe

Superb!!!! We didn't lose Siggy
Rate our Transfer Window on 21:54 - Feb 2 with 3008 viewsspiderboy

Rate our Transfer Window on 21:47 - Feb 2 by PatchesOHoulihan

This

really positive without spending stupid money which rarely works

Keeping the 2 jumps it up for me especially after seeing the last 2 games

Excellent post
Couldn't fault any of those comments .
Spot on
Rate our Transfer Window on 21:57 - Feb 2 with 2999 viewsspiderboy

Rate our Transfer Window on 21:54 - Feb 2 by spiderboy

Excellent post
Couldn't fault any of those comments .
Spot on

I meant /tummer from texas..sorry
Rate our Transfer Window on 19:50 - Feb 7 with 2811 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Swans get an A+ from WalesOnline's Ian Mitchelmore.

And I thought I was a sunshine pumper. But A+ implies it was perfect, even though the club itself knew it wasn't, or they wouldn't have been chasing at least one more transfer in the final minutes.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/swansea-citys-january-

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Rate our Transfer Window on 23:37 - Feb 7 with 2737 viewsNirvana

Rate our Transfer Window on 15:54 - Feb 2 by Tummer_from_Texas

Completely agree with almost everything said here. I am a little more down on the overall grade as a CB, and definitely, a RB were necessities but you cannot complain about 4 new potential starters who all provide a little of what we have been missing. It's early but the three new boys have all looked much better than what we had previously and were, like you said, attained at remarkably thrifty fees.

Ayew is a player I have high hopes for, as he offers so much that we have been missing and can be slotted in all over the pitch and perform well. He has had his difficulties but he can shoot, dribble, pass, cross, head, usually exhibits a good workrate and spacing, and can fill in as a target man that will also make runs in behind the defence.

I think he would look a much improved player in a structured system like Clement is running and he clearly wasn't happy playing in the Championship. Not a good sign if we go down but I hope (and think) we won't thanks to this surprisingly proactive window.

Not getting Lisandro López, who would have fit in perfectly next to Fede or Mawson and provided the commanding physical presence and aggression we are lacking back there, was a mistake. But I don't mind the club being hesitant about dropping £10m on him, he simply has not played enough the past few seasons to warrant that expense and PC (and Claude) seem to be working wonders on our defensive organization.

I am sure a decent enough RB could have, at least, been brought in on loan to give us another option but I'm not privy to those discussions. Maybe there weren't. But I'm sure more effort could and should have been exerted to try.

All in all (is all we are), a relatively "perfect" window though, given how little was expected.
Rate our Transfer Window on 00:35 - Feb 8 with 2709 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Very poor, and yet unfortunately it can be argued it is one of our best in years.

We did not replace Naughton, we did not sign two wingers capable of improving the starting eleven, we currently have a goalkeeper free to play the worst football of his career because we have no suitable second choice keeper and we did not sign a centre back.

Olsson looks very average and should be a second choice left back in this league.
Caroll looks okay, however our midfield has been over run in every game he has played.
The departures were necessary.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Rate our Transfer Window on 08:07 - Feb 8 with 2641 viewsNeathJack

Rate our Transfer Window on 00:35 - Feb 8 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Very poor, and yet unfortunately it can be argued it is one of our best in years.

We did not replace Naughton, we did not sign two wingers capable of improving the starting eleven, we currently have a goalkeeper free to play the worst football of his career because we have no suitable second choice keeper and we did not sign a centre back.

Olsson looks very average and should be a second choice left back in this league.
Caroll looks okay, however our midfield has been over run in every game he has played.
The departures were necessary.

Nothing if not predictable.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024