Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? 11:42 - Feb 2 with 10235 viewsDarran

https://membership.theguardian.com/uk/supporter?INTCMP=mem_uk_banner

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 11:44 - Feb 2 with 4496 viewsLohengrin

Most 'print' media is struggling now with the advent of the internet, Daz, The Guardian is no exception.

I buy newspapers every day, even if I haven't really got the time to read them, simply because I desperately want to see them survive.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 11:52 - Feb 2 with 4492 viewsDarran

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 11:44 - Feb 2 by Lohengrin

Most 'print' media is struggling now with the advent of the internet, Daz, The Guardian is no exception.

I buy newspapers every day, even if I haven't really got the time to read them, simply because I desperately want to see them survive.

So you're the one keeping the Daily Star going then?

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 11:53 - Feb 2 with 4489 viewsLohengrin

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 11:52 - Feb 2 by Darran

So you're the one keeping the Daily Star going then?

I said newspapers not toilet paper!

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 12:08 - Feb 2 with 4465 viewsClinton

The guardian loses shed loads of money and is supported by a Trust, but it can't go on too long like this.
It can be excessively PC at times even a bit silly.
The strength of the guardian is that it sticks up for minorities, you may take the p1ss out of it but but if you are ever on the wrong side of a genuine injustice it would stick up for you when a lot of the gutter press wouldn't touch you

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 12:10 - Feb 2 with 4457 viewsLohengrin

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 12:08 - Feb 2 by Clinton

The guardian loses shed loads of money and is supported by a Trust, but it can't go on too long like this.
It can be excessively PC at times even a bit silly.
The strength of the guardian is that it sticks up for minorities, you may take the p1ss out of it but but if you are ever on the wrong side of a genuine injustice it would stick up for you when a lot of the gutter press wouldn't touch you

Unless, of course, you happen to hold views or hold membership in an organisation that The Guardian's editorial board disapproves of; in which case you're on your own, kiddo.
[Post edited 2 Feb 2017 12:10]

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 12:25 - Feb 2 with 4430 viewsswanjackal

The Guardian is little more than a collection of opinion pieces, where the tits are not on the pages (unlike the Daily Star) but actually writing the articles.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 12:30 - Feb 2 with 4416 viewsWarwickHunt

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 12:25 - Feb 2 by swanjackal

The Guardian is little more than a collection of opinion pieces, where the tits are not on the pages (unlike the Daily Star) but actually writing the articles.

Still plenty of good stuff there but gone downhill since Rusbridger left as editor.

Owen Jones and George Fûcking Monbiot though - you have a point...
Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 12:38 - Feb 2 with 4396 viewsperchrockjack

ych a fi

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Login to get fewer ads

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 12:40 - Feb 2 with 4391 viewsswanjackal

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 12:30 - Feb 2 by WarwickHunt

Still plenty of good stuff there but gone downhill since Rusbridger left as editor.

Owen Jones and George Fûcking Monbiot though - you have a point...

The problem lies with the need to sell, papers tend to go more for sensationalism and the need to be first to print something, regardless of its accuracy, skewing most articles with their political/social leanings, rather than spend time being proper journalists and researching and double checking before going to print. This is not just the Guardian, but all media. I long for an almost autistic style of reporting, facts without the spin, but never going to get it.

And Warwick,have to throw Laurie Penny in there, although hesitate to lump her in as a journalist. Loved the way Starkey took her to task on her bullshit here......

[Post edited 2 Feb 2017 12:54]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 12:40 - Feb 2 with 4389 viewsMorfa_Same

Most of our newspapers would not be missed. Most are either far right wing, or dumbed down with pictures and celebrity gossip. Many are both.

I haven't bought a newspaper since the demise of the Independent, but the Guardian is one of very few tidy newspapers remaining.
Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 12:44 - Feb 2 with 4377 viewsswanjackal

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 12:40 - Feb 2 by Morfa_Same

Most of our newspapers would not be missed. Most are either far right wing, or dumbed down with pictures and celebrity gossip. Many are both.

I haven't bought a newspaper since the demise of the Independent, but the Guardian is one of very few tidy newspapers remaining.

I suppose you could change "right" with "left" and "Guardian" with "Daily Mail" and this would be the exact response of someone on the other side of the fence.

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 13:24 - Feb 2 with 4331 viewsdickythorpe

Is Nancy Banks-Smith still going strong?
Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 13:27 - Feb 2 with 4320 viewsdickythorpe

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 12:40 - Feb 2 by Morfa_Same

They are out of date so soon.
Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 13:48 - Feb 2 with 4297 viewsLord_Bony

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 13:24 - Feb 2 by dickythorpe

Is Nancy Banks-Smith still going strong?

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 14:06 - Feb 2 with 4274 viewspikeypaul

The only contributor worth reading is Joseph Stiglitz the nobel prize winning economist.

His views on how the Euro and the EU are just a German backed ponzi scheme that will sooner or later fail are worth reading.
Also his book
The Euro:How a common currency threatens the future of Europe
is also a good read.

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 21:07 - Feb 2 with 4175 viewsGowerjack

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 12:10 - Feb 2 by Lohengrin

Unless, of course, you happen to hold views or hold membership in an organisation that The Guardian's editorial board disapproves of; in which case you're on your own, kiddo.
[Post edited 2 Feb 2017 12:10]

Thats not unique to the Guardian is it?

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 21:31 - Feb 2 with 4150 viewsDr_Winston

The Guardian is a combination of some good stuff, and some total cuckoos like Polly Toynbee and Owen Jones.

I read it both to be informed and have a good chuckle.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 21:45 - Feb 2 with 4137 viewsFieryJack

Well, I've just got back from the only local pub left in my area - and I went there in the same spirit as yours ie. "simply because I desperately want to see them (pubs) survive".

While I was there, I killed 2 birds with one stone, and sat by the fire, drinking a fine pint of Brakspear bitter, crunching salted peanuts ... and reading the Guardian - last saturdays bumper edition - or a part thereof.

And while we're about it, just exactly what is wrong with Owen Jones?

A fine Leftie, and I thoroughly recommend his book "Chavs", which I keep on my bedside table - in between "Das Kapital" and Ivor Jenkins's "How to Suppress the Right wing in Your Town".
Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 21:55 - Feb 2 with 4119 viewsDavillin

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 13:48 - Feb 2 by Lord_Bony

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Priceless!

I had thought of two or three clever ripostes, but decided that yours is far too good to even look like I was trying to "top" it. Thanks.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 21:59 - Feb 2 with 4103 viewsGowerjack

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 13:48 - Feb 2 by Lord_Bony

Fair play

That did make me laugh when I first saw it.

In 2002.

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 22:01 - Feb 2 with 4089 viewsJackfath

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 21:59 - Feb 2 by Gowerjack

Fair play

That did make me laugh when I first saw it.

In 2002.

Have an up arrow my friend.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 22:19 - Feb 2 with 4058 viewsblueytheblue

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 21:45 - Feb 2 by FieryJack

Well, I've just got back from the only local pub left in my area - and I went there in the same spirit as yours ie. "simply because I desperately want to see them (pubs) survive".

While I was there, I killed 2 birds with one stone, and sat by the fire, drinking a fine pint of Brakspear bitter, crunching salted peanuts ... and reading the Guardian - last saturdays bumper edition - or a part thereof.

A fine Leftie, and I thoroughly recommend his book "Chavs", which I keep on my bedside table - in between "Das Kapital" and Ivor Jenkins's "How to Suppress the Right wing in Your Town".

Loved Owen Jones' interesting view on Income Tax.

Poll: Alternate POTY final

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 22:31 - Feb 2 with 4033 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 22:19 - Feb 2 by blueytheblue

Loved Owen Jones' interesting view on Income Tax.

Still keeping on top of your taxes Bluey?

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 22:53 - Feb 2 with 4007 viewsblueytheblue

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 22:31 - Feb 2 by oh_tommy_tommy

Still keeping on top of your taxes Bluey?

Always do, Tommy. I do hope Owen does since he's confused about how it all works.

Poll: Alternate POTY final

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 22:53 - Feb 2 with 4005 viewsWarwickHunt

Is The Guardian 'paper' struggling? on 21:45 - Feb 2 by FieryJack

Owen Jones should be drinking cider, riding his BMX and fingering girls behind the bike sheds and not writing adolescent guff for a serious national newspaper.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024