Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best football book 22:15 - Feb 3 with 7527 viewsBournedore

Looking for some holiday reading inspiration. What's the best football book you've read - fiction, fact or autobiography....any recommendations?
Best football book on 22:21 - Feb 3 with 6482 viewspencoedjack

I asked the same question in November and was recommended Mark Wards autobiography from right wing to D wing ( or something similar)

Enjoyed it 👍
[Post edited 3 Feb 2017 22:21]
Best football book on 22:28 - Feb 3 with 6460 viewsmonmouth

The Damned United or Fever Pitch if you haven't read them. If you go back to the 70s, My favourite year edited by Nick Hornby made me laugh and reminisce. Chapter on the Tosh Swans in there too and available for pennies on amazon.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Best football book on 22:29 - Feb 3 with 6460 viewslifelong

I enjoyed the Paul McGrath autobiography "Back from the brink."
Best football book on 22:31 - Feb 3 with 6447 viewsNeathJack

I'd agree with Fever Pitch.
Best football book on 23:18 - Feb 3 with 6385 viewssherpajacob

Best football book on 22:28 - Feb 3 by monmouth

The Damned United or Fever Pitch if you haven't read them. If you go back to the 70s, My favourite year edited by Nick Hornby made me laugh and reminisce. Chapter on the Tosh Swans in there too and available for pennies on amazon.

My favourite year is an excellent read.

Most autobiographies tend to be pretty crap.

A life too short about Robert enke is essential reading alongside cricketer Marcus trescothicks book.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Best football book on 23:36 - Feb 3 with 6366 viewsowainglyndwr

Hunting the hooligans ...... police v Zulu

And

Running with the firm .........police v millwall

2 different undercover books
Best football book on 23:37 - Feb 3 with 6363 viewsMurph75

Best football book on 23:36 - Feb 3 by owainglyndwr

Hunting the hooligans ...... police v Zulu

And

Running with the firm .........police v millwall

2 different undercover books

Why would you read shit like that? Are your eyes not attached to your brain?
Best football book on 00:07 - Feb 4 with 6331 viewsTNT

Best football book on 23:37 - Feb 3 by Murph75

Not my cup of tea, but for a sociologist interested in social behaviour / society, maybe.

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

Login to get fewer ads

Best football book on 00:07 - Feb 4 with 6329 viewsMillJack

The Miracle of Castel di Sangro - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/075152753X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_UOrLybATJ0240

Futebol : The Brazilian Way Of Life - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00JLEOXMC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_QRrLybSB20V39

Both absolutely first class
Best football book on 00:21 - Feb 4 with 6302 viewsnyc_swans

my 2 favorites are:

Jonathan Wilson's Inverting the Pyramid is a great book which focuses primarily on the evolution of tactics.

Among the Thugs by Bill Buford is a good read on hooligans. Very well written from first hand accounts.
Best football book on 00:27 - Feb 4 with 6293 viewsProfessor

Both excellent choices as is My Favourite Year. If you get on with the Damned United th n David Peace's other football novel Red or Dead is worth a punt- a sort of flip side to the Damned Unit s about Bill Shankly. It has a very idiosyncratic structure.

Pete Davies- all played out. A book about England in Italia 90 is a good read if still available. I also found Morbo! And Tor! The history of Spanish and German football interesting reads. Morbo is probably the better bet
Best football book on 00:30 - Feb 4 with 6291 viewsTNT

'The Swansea City Story', by Brinley E. Matthews

Still got my copy which I bought from the club shop in William Street in '76, took it to the game (Div 4) and Alan Curtis came over to The North Bank pitchside wall and signed it. One of my treasured possessions. Little did I know of the unwritten rollercoaster ride chapters ahead!

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

Best football book on 00:49 - Feb 4 with 6268 viewsGowerjack

Football for Dummies by B.Bradley.

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Best football book on 01:20 - Feb 4 with 6247 viewsJack_Meoff

Best football book on 00:21 - Feb 4 by nyc_swans

my 2 favorites are:

Jonathan Wilson's Inverting the Pyramid is a great book which focuses primarily on the evolution of tactics.

Among the Thugs by Bill Buford is a good read on hooligans. Very well written from first hand accounts.

Blimey, didn't know amongst his drumming with Yes he was able to combine investigative journalism. And with the risk of broken limbs and all...

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

Best football book on 02:20 - Feb 4 with 6227 viewsjruss1

'Morbo' the history of Spanish football football by Phil Ball.

And as mentioned, Jonathan Wilson's book on tactics and how they evolved is fantasic. Esp the chapters focusing on the early stages of football.
Best football book on 04:16 - Feb 4 with 6197 viewsphact0rri

man I really want to read Fever Pitch. I enjoyed High Fidelity novel quite a bit, but finding it in the US is rather a tough ask I think.

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

Best football book on 05:25 - Feb 4 with 6172 viewsNOTRAC

The Jimmy Seed story..autobiography written in the 1950s, still obtainable on e-bay.
True story about a guy who was on the verge of playing for Sunderland in 1916 when war was declared.He was then 18. Fought throughout the war years but was mustard gassed at the end of the First World War.Discarded by Sunderland as a result.Absolutely down and out.Came to non league football in South Wales ,where his team,Mid Rhondda hardly lost a match afterwards and attracted crowds of 20,000.
Spotted by Spurs.Within a year had played and won a cup final.Picked by England.After six years and a leg injury transferre d to Sheffield Wednesday at 28 years old.Sheffield Wednesday hopelessly bottom of the first division.Made captain.Hardly lost a game after.Last day of the season won to save themselves from relegation.Spurs who were comfortably mid table when he left,relegated.Captain for next two years when Sheffield Wednesday won the first division in successive seasons. Went into management at Charlton, who were near the bottom of the Third Division South. First year promoted for the first time in their history.Next year promoted from the second division.Next year runners up in the first division.Remained in the first division for over twenty years.Won Cup Final.Sacked in 1955 after eight games.Charlton relegated that year.
Stand named after him in Charlton.
Well worth a read!
[Post edited 4 Feb 2017 5:31]

Poll: Has the Europa Cup been worth entering this year?

Best football book on 06:59 - Feb 4 with 6150 viewsjack247

Up Pohnpei is a decent light reading holiday type book. Like a Dave O'Gorman/Danny Wallace type book based on football. As others have said, Fever Pitch is good too.

As for autobiographies, I found the Perry Groves one pretty good and Paul Lakes is brilliant.

Secret footballer is good for a while but it gets samey quite quickly.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Up-Pohnpei-ultimate-football-underdogs/dp/1846685028
Best football book on 08:11 - Feb 4 with 6109 viewsDafyddHuw

The Damned United - stand out football book.

Fever Pitch would be OK, but Nick Hornby's a bit of a paish.
Best football book on 08:36 - Feb 4 with 6080 viewsowainglyndwr

Best football book on 23:37 - Feb 3 by Murph75

Cheaky Ph@k
These are not football hooligans accounts, but books of undercover police.
Obviously you have not read them
[Post edited 4 Feb 2017 8:56]
Best football book on 09:11 - Feb 4 with 6048 viewsswanjackal

Best football book on 04:16 - Feb 4 by phact0rri

man I really want to read Fever Pitch. I enjoyed High Fidelity novel quite a bit, but finding it in the US is rather a tough ask I think.

http://english4success.ru/Upload/books/1840.pdf

You can download the pdf and read on phone or tablet.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

Best football book on 09:15 - Feb 4 with 6039 viewslondonlisa2001

Arrivederci Swansea is very good. It's the biography of Giorgio Chinaglia and how he went from the Swans to become a superstar with Lazio and then the Cosmos. It's written by Mario Risoli.

Would be of interest to our US fans as well, as it's good about the glory years of the NY Cosmos.
Best football book on 10:17 - Feb 4 with 6001 viewsMurph75

Best football book on 08:36 - Feb 4 by owainglyndwr

Cheaky Ph@k
These are not football hooligans accounts, but books of undercover police.
Obviously you have not read them
[Post edited 4 Feb 2017 8:56]

I'd rather someone shit in my hands and then clap.
Best football book on 11:18 - Feb 4 with 5960 viewsDafyddHuw

Best football book on 04:16 - Feb 4 by phact0rri

Amazon butt
Best football book on 11:19 - Feb 4 with 5957 viewsswanjackal

Best football book on 11:18 - Feb 4 by DafyddHuw

Amazon butt

cough cough mobilism cough cough

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024