Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Defence 22:15 - Feb 12 with 2782 viewsDr_Winston

29 goals conceded in 11 games under Bobbley. 10 in 6 games under Clement, and that includes trips to Anfield and the Etihad as well as that mad half against Arsenal.

Maybe the people who suggested that our defensive issues were mainly down to piss poor coaching and we weren't actually that desperate for a new CB in January had a point?

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The Defence on 22:22 - Feb 12 with 2742 viewslonglostjack

The fact that Bobbly couldn't work out his best CB partnership and kept changing them, shows how out of his depth he was. If there's one postion on the field that needs stability it's the CB partnership.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

The Defence on 22:25 - Feb 12 with 2720 viewsDr_Winston

The Defence on 22:22 - Feb 12 by longlostjack

The fact that Bobbly couldn't work out his best CB partnership and kept changing them, shows how out of his depth he was. If there's one postion on the field that needs stability it's the CB partnership.

Absolutely.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The Defence on 22:26 - Feb 12 with 2705 viewsZZoric

furthermore the appointment of a dee-fense coach PW - only served to fack it up furtherer
The Defence on 22:28 - Feb 12 with 2684 viewsdeanscfc

The LB position was a huge part of the problem. But Clement too has done a great job.
The Defence on 22:33 - Feb 12 with 2633 viewsSwansNZ

The Defence on 22:26 - Feb 12 by ZZoric

furthermore the appointment of a dee-fense coach PW - only served to fack it up furtherer

I’ve probably missed it, but did Paul Williams leave, or is he manning the club shop or something now? I know Clement didn’t want him.

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

The Defence on 22:34 - Feb 12 with 2622 viewswaynekerr55

The Defence on 22:28 - Feb 12 by deanscfc

The LB position was a huge part of the problem. But Clement too has done a great job.

Yeah, funny how we've vastly improved since that toxic little Gog shìt has been shown the door.

He's also made a rapid recovery given he was due in for surgery on his 'broken jaw'.

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

The Defence on 06:11 - Feb 13 with 2456 viewsDr_Winston

The Defence on 22:33 - Feb 12 by SwansNZ

I’ve probably missed it, but did Paul Williams leave, or is he manning the club shop or something now? I know Clement didn’t want him.

Don't think there's been any announcements.

The Defence on 08:40 - Feb 13 with 2369 viewssherpajacob

The Defence on 22:22 - Feb 12 by longlostjack

Bob never actually picked mawson and Fernandez together.

So he would argue if he was given one more game he would have turned it around.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Login to get fewer ads

The Defence on 09:12 - Feb 13 with 2301 viewsperchrockjack

Maybe those people are happier that the team does well and the manager is right than cockwaving on this site.
Pitiful

We seem to be getting it together but some posters want to impress their chat room chums

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

The Defence on 09:18 - Feb 13 with 2282 viewsUxbridge

He's still there IIRC. Still rated as a coach, so maybe there's another position as a coach there.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

The Defence on 09:33 - Feb 13 with 2237 viewsClinton

These days in this league, the whole team has a defensive responsibility, that goes right up to the centre forward.
Competent defenders will concede a shed load of goals if the rest of the team does not do its job. I went to that away game at Arsenal. Arsenal attacking was relentless from the start and we defended stoutly for a good period. When our boys eventually made individual errors, which were inevitable given the pressure, they were crucified; unfairly IMHO.
Fede seems to have found redemption on the forum which pleases me. I hope Amat gets his chance to prove himself again. I really believe we have three strong centre halves at the club. Genuinely can't work out VDH, suspect he might be under par.

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

The Defence on 09:53 - Feb 13 with 2181 viewsCooperman

The Defence on 08:40 - Feb 13 by sherpajacob

Bob never actually picked mawson and Fernandez together.

So he would argue if he was given one more game he would have turned it around.

That probably would have been his argument.

BUT, and it's a big BUT... would he have drilled the back 4 so hard that they maintain position and shape to the levels that they have done in the last 3 or 4 games? I don't think he would have. It's been said in several interviews that PC is working them very hard in training and even PC said himself that he is getting them back to basics. The back 4 under Bob on the other hand were randomly positioned in the final third of the pitch.

So, the difference between then and now - putting the basics back into our methodology, this applies to the back 4 and the centre of midfield.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

The Defence on 11:04 - Feb 13 with 2118 viewsDr_Winston

The Defence on 09:12 - Feb 13 by perchrockjack

Maybe those people are happier that the team does well and the manager is right than cockwaving on this site.
Pitiful

We seem to be getting it together but some posters want to impress their chat room chums

I am very happy with how my team performed this weekend Richard. You on the other hand have spent much of the last two days accusing its supporters of taking pleasure at the Hillsborough disaster.

I'm quite comfortable with which side of the moral fence I'm sitting thanks.

The Defence on 11:43 - Feb 13 with 2059 viewsmonmouth

The Defence on 09:18 - Feb 13 by Uxbridge

He's still there IIRC. Still rated as a coach, so maybe there's another position as a coach there.

Oh, coach, sorry.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

The Defence on 11:59 - Feb 13 with 2017 viewswaynekerr55

Anyone know how Taylor has made such a rapid recovery?

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

The Defence on 12:03 - Feb 13 with 2000 viewsLeonWasGod

I heard he'd dropped down into the age groups. Not sure where I heard it, but it makes sense if he has seeing that's where he's had most of his experience.
The Defence on 12:04 - Feb 13 with 1996 viewsTheResurrection

Fernandez was injured for most of Bradley and Mawson was making his first few steps in the EPL. We also had Taylor who just wasn't up to it and Tom Carroll has made a big difference in midfield.

That said, Bradley was just too maverick and probably didn't have the guts to go against what, no doubt, would have been his remit when taking the job - to make us play with more attacking intent.

All Clement has done is go back to Guidolin's style but with better execution and results.

This sort of thread is childish in the extreme.

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like
Poll: Is it time for the Trust to make change happen?

The Defence on 12:08 - Feb 13 with 1979 viewsTheResurrection

The Defence on 09:53 - Feb 13 by Cooperman

That probably would have been his argument.

BUT, and it's a big BUT... would he have drilled the back 4 so hard that they maintain position and shape to the levels that they have done in the last 3 or 4 games? I don't think he would have. It's been said in several interviews that PC is working them very hard in training and even PC said himself that he is getting them back to basics. The back 4 under Bob on the other hand were randomly positioned in the final third of the pitch.

So, the difference between then and now - putting the basics back into our methodology, this applies to the back 4 and the centre of midfield.

It's not so much the defence Clement has sorted out - it's the midfield.

Now we're defending from Llorente but especially the 5 in between him and the back 4. It's this that is the big difference from Bradley. In fairness to Bradley he tried to make us more attacking but it left us exposed at a time when we were down on our knees.
[Post edited 13 Feb 2017 12:09]

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like
Poll: Is it time for the Trust to make change happen?

The Defence on 12:18 - Feb 13 with 1934 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Personally I think VDH is also better than people give him credit for.
He is very good at intercepting high balls in and around the Penalty area.
He kept Troy Deeney under control for us.
But as the team's performance deteriorated so did his, like the rest of the defence.
The Defence on 12:18 - Feb 13 with 1934 viewsexiledinenglandjack

The Defence on 12:03 - Feb 13 by LeonWasGod

I heard he'd dropped down into the age groups. Not sure where I heard it, but it makes sense if he has seeing that's where he's had most of his experience.

Perhaps replaced the coach who went to Everton?
The Defence on 12:23 - Feb 13 with 1916 viewsPrivate_Partz

The Defence on 12:18 - Feb 13 by A_Fans_Dad

Personally I think VDH is also better than people give him credit for.
He is very good at intercepting high balls in and around the Penalty area.
He kept Troy Deeney under control for us.
But as the team's performance deteriorated so did his, like the rest of the defence.

Yep I agree with this, he could have been suffering from Bradlyitis like the rest of them. Fede and Alfie are very likely to pick up knocks during the run in and you can bet your bottom dollar our coaching staff are working on both him and Amat at the moment.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

The Defence on 21:13 - Feb 13 with 1712 viewslonglostjack

The Defence on 12:23 - Feb 13 by Private_Partz

Yep I agree with this, he could have been suffering from Bradlyitis like the rest of them. Fede and Alfie are very likely to pick up knocks during the run in and you can bet your bottom dollar our coaching staff are working on both him and Amat at the moment.

VDH looks a bit slow to me - but I always said that about Mertesacker before Arsenal bought him so what do I know !

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024