Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Brynglas tunnel billion pound bypass. 18:53 - Mar 1 with 3956 viewsPrivate_Partz

Apparently the Enquiry has heard that 'traffic can slow to as much as 20mph at times'.
20mph?? Huge swathes of our motorways come to a complete stop at rush hour.
This backs up what I have always believed and that is it is no worse than any other rush hour pinch point. Better in fact.
The twinning of the Heads is the Valley will take a lot of traffic off this section of the M4 once completed.
This is a shocking waste of funds and now they are even discussing the biggest road tunnel in Europe to alleviate the environmental issues.
You really can't make it up. Spunking zillions on a stretch of road in an area that already has the best infrastructure whilst the rest of Wales is transport wasteland.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

The Brynglas tunnel billion pound bypass. on 18:58 - Mar 1 with 3623 viewsblueytheblue

"slow to as much as 20mph at times" is bollox if they believe the min speed seen on that stretch is only 20mph!

Plenty of times traffic has snarled up, been doing 5mph...

Agree the rest of Wales needs investment in transport infrastructure but acting as i there's no/little problem with Brynglas tunnel stretch... smh...

Poll: Alternate POTY final

The Brynglas tunnel billion pound bypass. on 19:07 - Mar 1 with 3601 viewsBanosswan

You hit the traffic by magor and don't get past it until Newport west. When I work in Bristol it can add an hour easily. Plus the issue is it closes for fires. Not sure bulldozing all that wildlife is worth it mind, cranes have just started nesting there for the first time in 400 years.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

The Brynglas tunnel billion pound bypass. on 19:12 - Mar 1 with 3591 viewspencoedjack

Maybe those making the decisions should take a trip down the M4 and sample the traffic from junction 4 (Heathrow) all the way to Swindon (something I encounter on a regular basis).

I look forward to entering Wales for relative free flowing traffic.

As you say Partz the money should be earmarked for much higher priority projects.
The Brynglas tunnel billion pound bypass. on 19:29 - Mar 1 with 3563 viewsPrivate_Partz

The Brynglas tunnel billion pound bypass. on 18:58 - Mar 1 by blueytheblue

"slow to as much as 20mph at times" is bollox if they believe the min speed seen on that stretch is only 20mph!

Agree the rest of Wales needs investment in transport infrastructure but acting as i there's no/little problem with Brynglas tunnel stretch... smh...

From the A449 junction to the other side of the tunnels will provide a maximum 13 minute delay at peak times.
I have travelled the road at all times and it is the same East or Westbound. Once the HOV road has been twinned I will only travel that way if heading to London or the South Coast. Most people West of the Rhiwbina turn off will do the same if they have any sense.
The Margam flyover is every bit as bad. It really is not justified.
I have a horrible feeling that this is just Carwyn and Co trying to create a Cardiff version of the M25 to help develope their metropolis ambitions.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

The Brynglas tunnel billion pound bypass. on 19:34 - Mar 1 with 3544 viewsPrivate_Partz

The Brynglas tunnel billion pound bypass. on 19:07 - Mar 1 by Banosswan

You hit the traffic by magor and don't get past it until Newport west. When I work in Bristol it can add an hour easily. Plus the issue is it closes for fires. Not sure bulldozing all that wildlife is worth it mind, cranes have just started nesting there for the first time in 400 years.

Sorry I just don't buy it. I have never had a tailback from Magor - ever. 1 hour delay??
Fires, floods, major pile ups. That can affect any area in the U.K. It does not justify this expense. The HOV improvement will have a major effect plus there are existing roads that circumvent the tunnnels that can be improved for local commuter traffic, for that is what causes the current problems.

The Brynglas tunnel billion pound bypass. on 19:36 - Mar 1 with 3537 viewspencoedjack

The Brynglas tunnel billion pound bypass. on 19:34 - Mar 1 by Private_Partz

Sorry I just don't buy it. I have never had a tailback from Magor - ever. 1 hour delay??
Fires, floods, major pile ups. That can affect any area in the U.K. It does not justify this expense. The HOV improvement will have a major effect plus there are existing roads that circumvent the tunnnels that can be improved for local commuter traffic, for that is what causes the current problems.

Me neither & I do it regular.
The Brynglas tunnel billion pound bypass. on 19:41 - Mar 1 with 3522 viewsploppy

The Brynglas tunnel billion pound bypass. on 19:29 - Mar 1 by Private_Partz

From the A449 junction to the other side of the tunnels will provide a maximum 13 minute delay at peak times.
I have travelled the road at all times and it is the same East or Westbound. Once the HOV road has been twinned I will only travel that way if heading to London or the South Coast. Most people West of the Rhiwbina turn off will do the same if they have any sense.
The Margam flyover is every bit as bad. It really is not justified.
I have a horrible feeling that this is just Carwyn and Co trying to create a Cardiff version of the M25 to help develope their metropolis ambitions.

Well I use the M4 daily and my experience is totally different to yours. The days that the queue starts at the A449 are few and far between. Often it starts at Magor. Do your Time = Distance/Speed on that. The relief road can't come soon enough.
The Brynglas tunnel billion pound bypass. on 19:42 - Mar 1 with 3521 viewsBanosswan

The Brynglas tunnel billion pound bypass. on 19:34 - Mar 1 by Private_Partz

I was in one a couple of weeks ago. Maybe not an hour but definitely 40 min. It was half five. I don't agree it should be built mind, I think the money should be spent on public transport infrastructure in west and south west Wales which is atrocious.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Login to get fewer ads

The Brynglas tunnel billion pound bypass. on 19:57 - Mar 1 with 3498 viewsNeath_Jack

Partz, I was driving between Neath and Newport for around 14 years and without a shadow of a doubt, the Brynglas Tunnel area of Newport is an absolute basket case of an area at peak times. Throw in a semi serious accident and you can be looking at hours and hours trying to get through Newport. I agree that Port Talbot is getting bad around Margam area, but that isn't a reason for a new bypass at Newport not to go ahead. It really is the gateway to Wales, and needs to flow a million times better than it currently does.
I travel between Stoke and Neath quite regularly now, and the drive home is fantastic, busy, but flows very well, that it until you get back into Wales and hit Newport.
[Post edited 1 Mar 2017 19:58]

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

The Brynglas tunnel billion pound bypass. on 20:06 - Mar 1 with 3480 viewsLord_Bony

The Brynglas tunnels were built before we joined Europe.

Now they fail E U motorway regulations hence the billion pound bypass that was going to be built. This was to be funded by a consortium of E U ,private and WAG money.

Now that we re leaving Europe the money may no longer be available for this project...but also we don't need to bring it up to EU motorway standard as a result.

So it could be we re stuck with this situation for many years to come...and no they can't build another tunnel there it's impossible.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

The Brynglas tunnel billion pound bypass. on 20:08 - Mar 1 with 3473 viewsLoyal

The Brynglas tunnel billion pound bypass. on 18:58 - Mar 1 by blueytheblue

I did up to 50 on there one night granted I had the sister in law noshing my lentils at the time and I was dressed as batman.
[Post edited 1 Mar 2017 20:33]

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

The Brynglas tunnel billion pound bypass. on 20:24 - Mar 1 with 3448 viewsPokerface

The Brynglas tunnel billion pound bypass. on 19:57 - Mar 1 by Neath_Jack

Partz, I was driving between Neath and Newport for around 14 years and without a shadow of a doubt, the Brynglas Tunnel area of Newport is an absolute basket case of an area at peak times. Throw in a semi serious accident and you can be looking at hours and hours trying to get through Newport. I agree that Port Talbot is getting bad around Margam area, but that isn't a reason for a new bypass at Newport not to go ahead. It really is the gateway to Wales, and needs to flow a million times better than it currently does.
I travel between Stoke and Neath quite regularly now, and the drive home is fantastic, busy, but flows very well, that it until you get back into Wales and hit Newport.
[Post edited 1 Mar 2017 19:58]

Spot on Neath Jack.

At Brynglas tunnels the traffic grinds to a halt in rush hour.Enough to put investors / companies from opening new businesses in South Wales.

It needs to be sorted.

Poll: Most boring poster....and least football knowledge

The Brynglas tunnel billion pound bypass. on 20:56 - Mar 1 with 3408 viewsCooperman

I'm with Bano and Neath Jack; it's a nightmare for up to two hours each morning and evening.

I am in no doubt whatsoever that this shambolic infrastructure impacts on outside investment in the South Wales region as a whole (and not just Cardiff).

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

The Brynglas tunnel billion pound bypass. on 09:04 - Mar 2 with 3255 viewsPrivate_Partz

The Brynglas tunnel billion pound bypass. on 20:56 - Mar 1 by Cooperman

I'm with Bano and Neath Jack; it's a nightmare for up to two hours each morning and evening.

I am in no doubt whatsoever that this shambolic infrastructure impacts on outside investment in the South Wales region as a whole (and not just Cardiff).

Well I am completely stunned by these comments. I have never experienced delays like these. Sure the traffic slows down a tad at peak times but it is far better than many pinch points on the UK network. I can't say Wales network as we don't have any other networks.
Doris put pay to the Manchester Ship Canal when I was travelling North and it took over 3 hours to do 10 miles. The A55 is far worse. It does not have proper drainage even and traffic can be sent into inadequate farm tracks surrounding it every time there is an accident.
Do I think the Brynglas problem should be addressed? Of course I do but there are much bigger projests needed across Wales to encourage investment. Once this is done ŵe can then look at improving existing.
The HOV twinning will take traffic away from this area in the meantime.
When I travel North, Brynglas is never a worry. The M5/M6 interchange in Brum? Now that is a different story. My timimg always centres around avoiding that.

The Brynglas tunnel billion pound bypass. on 11:03 - Mar 2 with 3179 viewsCooperman

The Brynglas tunnel billion pound bypass. on 09:04 - Mar 2 by Private_Partz

Well I am completely stunned by these comments. I have never experienced delays like these. Sure the traffic slows down a tad at peak times but it is far better than many pinch points on the UK network. I can't say Wales network as we don't have any other networks.
Doris put pay to the Manchester Ship Canal when I was travelling North and it took over 3 hours to do 10 miles. The A55 is far worse. It does not have proper drainage even and traffic can be sent into inadequate farm tracks surrounding it every time there is an accident.
Do I think the Brynglas problem should be addressed? Of course I do but there are much bigger projests needed across Wales to encourage investment. Once this is done ŵe can then look at improving existing.
When I travel North, Brynglas is never a worry. The M5/M6 interchange in Brum? Now that is a different story. My timimg always centres around avoiding that.

Never mind the M5 / M6 interchange as its got nothing to do with the Welsh government and its investment. There is also the M6 Toll up there which in my experience is under utilised due to the prices involved.

The Brynglas tunnel billion pound bypass. on 14:36 - Mar 2 with 3103 viewsJackFish

The M5/M6 interchange is a lot better since they went to ALR, although the M6 in general is always horrendous. Brynglas is an absolute nightmare coming into Wales whichever time of day you try to do it and needs to be improved drastically. Coming from Bristol to South Wales you often get traffic backing up past the Coldra and on a bad day it's all the way back to Magor. Not helped by the ridiculous permanent 50 when you come down the hill towards the tunnels which causes the traffic to brake sharply.
The Brynglas tunnel billion pound bypass. on 14:38 - Mar 2 with 3100 viewsblueytheblue

The Brynglas tunnel billion pound bypass. on 14:36 - Mar 2 by JackFish

The M5/M6 interchange is a lot better since they went to ALR, although the M6 in general is always horrendous. Brynglas is an absolute nightmare coming into Wales whichever time of day you try to do it and needs to be improved drastically. Coming from Bristol to South Wales you often get traffic backing up past the Coldra and on a bad day it's all the way back to Magor. Not helped by the ridiculous permanent 50 when you come down the hill towards the tunnels which causes the traffic to brake sharply.

Not helped by the poor road layout leading to the tunnel either ( going westwards ).

Always people bombing up the inside lane to cut in.

Poll: Alternate POTY final

The Brynglas tunnel billion pound bypass. on 16:56 - Mar 2 with 3030 viewsCooperman

The Brynglas tunnel billion pound bypass. on 14:36 - Mar 2 by JackFish

That last sentence is quite right Mr Fish. The 'brake light' effect / ripple can move backwards for miles.

I think I read somewhere that the permanent 50 mph limit is there for noise abatement.

The Brynglas tunnel billion pound bypass. on 19:23 - Mar 2 with 2979 viewsPrivate_Partz

The Brynglas tunnel billion pound bypass. on 11:03 - Mar 2 by Cooperman

Never mind the M5 / M6 interchange as its got nothing to do with the Welsh government and its investment. There is also the M6 Toll up there which in my experience is under utilised due to the prices involved.

Ah so it is OK to chuck a billion pound at something even though it is not as bad as areas in England? We are still the UK the last time I looked. It would be difficult to compare it with Welsh roads as the M4 is our only motorway.
Traffic reports on BBC Wales tonight said it was slow around Brynglas along with other areas around Wales. Monmouth for example. The Enquiry have been advised correctly. Traffic slows down to about 20mph on average on approach either side at peak times only.
It will be an improving situation with the HOV twinning plus we haven't even mentioned the Cardiff Metro and the effects that will have.
To throw all this money at one project, much more if we build the biggest road tunnel in Europe, is complete and utter madness whilst the rest of Wales is a transport wilderness.

The Brynglas tunnel billion pound bypass. on 19:24 - Mar 2 with 2979 viewsWhiterockin

Next Friday afternoon/evening will be interesting.
The Brynglas tunnel billion pound bypass. on 19:37 - Mar 2 with 2967 viewsPrivate_Partz

The Brynglas tunnel billion pound bypass. on 19:24 - Mar 2 by Whiterockin

Next Friday afternoon/evening will be interesting.

What's happening? Apologies if I have missed an obvious one.

The Brynglas tunnel billion pound bypass. on 20:27 - Mar 2 with 2946 viewsmonmouth

The Brynglas tunnel billion pound bypass. on 19:23 - Mar 2 by Private_Partz

Ah so it is OK to chuck a billion pound at something even though it is not as bad as areas in England? We are still the UK the last time I looked. It would be difficult to compare it with Welsh roads as the M4 is our only motorway.
Traffic reports on BBC Wales tonight said it was slow around Brynglas along with other areas around Wales. Monmouth for example. The Enquiry have been advised correctly. Traffic slows down to about 20mph on average on approach either side at peak times only.
It will be an improving situation with the HOV twinning plus we haven't even mentioned the Cardiff Metro and the effects that will have.
To throw all this money at one project, much more if we build the biggest road tunnel in Europe, is complete and utter madness whilst the rest of Wales is a transport wilderness.

I can confirm we're a bit slow up here PP.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

The Brynglas tunnel billion pound bypass. on 21:19 - Mar 2 with 2903 viewsCooperman

The Brynglas tunnel billion pound bypass. on 19:23 - Mar 2 by Private_Partz

My response to your first sentence is very much 'yes'. I don't know why you keep bringing England in to it. I acknowledge that there are bottlenecks in England but the funding route for solving them is vastly different to that for the M4 relief. And yes, I Have wasted many hours sitting in jams on the M42, M1, M6 etc.

The Brynglas tunnel billion pound bypass. on 21:29 - Mar 2 with 2900 viewsploppy

The Brynglas tunnel billion pound bypass. on 09:04 - Mar 2 by Private_Partz

Out of curiosity, what time of day do you travel through the Brynglas tunnel, and in which direction?
The Brynglas tunnel billion pound bypass. on 21:38 - Mar 2 with 2885 viewsDarran

The Brynglas tunnel billion pound bypass. on 19:37 - Mar 2 by Private_Partz

What's happening? Apologies if I have missed an obvious one.

Peanut hugging in Cardiff.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024