Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
More great Brexit news 12:00 - Mar 9 with 10962 viewsShaky

Insufferable Yanks to up sticks, leaving the UK free to take advantage of fabulous trading opportunities with dynamic countires in the rest of the world like Turkey, Azerbaijan, North Korea, and assorted Gulf state dictatorships:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/mar/08/us-businesses-warn-uk-loss-acce

Here we go, here we go, here we go. Etc, etc.

Misology -- It's a bitch
Poll: Greatest PS Troll Hunter of all time

More great Brexit news on 12:10 - Mar 9 with 3624 viewsjojaca

Just usual dribble from the Guardian everyday.

Even when you know, you never know?

More great Brexit news on 14:50 - Mar 9 with 3560 viewsDavillin

More great Brexit news on 12:10 - Mar 9 by jojaca

. .. . and a fatally flawed report by the o.p. about the article.

It does not say that the U.S. is going to abandon the U.K., but that the U.S. Chamber of Commerce has "warned" the U.K. that Brexit could impact U.K. business in the States.

Of course, the Chamber of Commerce is not only not related in any way with the government of the U.S, but is highly selfish for their own members, worried about their own potential losses if the EU. goes titsup.

N.B. Back in the late 1960s-early 70s, the library in the college where I was teaching had a nice variety of international newspapers. Each day's edition was mounted on a wooden multi-section staff-like device, and sat in a rack with the other internationals.

I read The Manchester Guardian, as we called it, still using the old name, daily. I remember it was printed on some kind of very thin, kinda crackly paper, not unlike the "skivvy paper" used by asian hookers in the '50s -- so I have been informed.

If I remember correctly the paper was in some kind of off-white colour, pink? That would have made a kind of sense.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

More great Brexit news on 14:57 - Mar 9 with 3547 viewsblueytheblue

Wonder why Shaky missed out India and China from their list of nations.

It can't possibly be because both are bigger markets than the EU?

Poll: Alternate POTY final

More great Brexit news on 15:01 - Mar 9 with 3522 viewsDarran

It's a bit like Shaky leaving nonce.com because that's going down the shitter too.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

More great Brexit news on 17:47 - Mar 9 with 3454 viewsjohnlangy

More great Brexit news on 12:10 - Mar 9 by jojaca

Personally I think Guardian dribble is far more palatable than Telegraph/Mail/Express dribble.

Each to his own.
More great Brexit news on 17:50 - Mar 9 with 3446 viewsperchrockjack

That s because of your political affiliation

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

More great Brexit news on 19:19 - Mar 9 with 3392 viewsPrivate_Partz

In all fairness I think the OP was very tongue in cheek on this one.
Nevertheless these are serious warnings here that will have an impact if we fail to get a Trade Agreement with the EU.
It is not sufficient to hope for bigger markets. We have to do our very best to keep the ones we already have. We can then hope for our wonderful businesses and businessmen can then secure new Trade Deals outside of the EU and the States.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

More great Brexit news on 07:59 - Mar 10 with 3275 viewsKilkennyjack

On the plus side, the totally unintended consequence of Brexit madness will be the break up of the uk itself. Fecking quality.

Beware of the Risen People

Login to get fewer ads

More great Brexit news on 08:29 - Mar 10 with 3262 viewsblueytheblue

More great Brexit news on 07:59 - Mar 10 by Kilkennyjack

On the plus side, the totally unintended consequence of Brexit madness will be the break up of the uk itself. Fecking quality.

Fact?

You overestimate people's fatigue with the SNP's Neverendum demands.

More great Brexit news on 08:46 - Mar 10 with 3244 viewsPrivate_Partz

More great Brexit news on 08:29 - Mar 10 by blueytheblue

Fact?

You overestimate people's fatigue with the SNP's Neverendum demands.

That was mentioned a lot on Question Time. I tend to think the fatigue is mostly South of the border.
I think Sturgeon is going for it too early however. If indeed she does.
I think she should wait to see if our economy unravels as is very likely and then go for the vote.
Whilst there is a possibility of Milk and Honey, however unlikely, there is a chance the vote would fail and Scotland would the be tied to a failing U.K. for generations to come.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

More great Brexit news on 08:54 - Mar 10 with 3235 viewsblueytheblue

More great Brexit news on 08:46 - Mar 10 by Private_Partz

That was mentioned a lot on Question Time. I tend to think the fatigue is mostly South of the border.
I think she should wait to see if our economy unravels as is very likely and then go for the vote.
Whilst there is a possibility of Milk and Honey, however unlikely, there is a chance the vote would fail and Scotland would the be tied to a failing U.K. for generations to come.

Leave and Scotland would be tied to failure for a very, very long time.

More great Brexit news on 09:08 - Mar 10 with 3218 viewsPrivate_Partz

More great Brexit news on 08:54 - Mar 10 by blueytheblue

Leave and Scotland would be tied to failure for a very, very long time.

Certainly in the short term as they will be leaving their biggest market. Just as the UK is doing now.
From a EU point of view there is a vested interest in giving us as little as possible and do everything to ensure we suffer. If we left and prospered over and above EU members it would seriously destabilise the whole shooting match.
Conversely a succsful independent Scotland would be a badge of honour for the EU.
I believe they would make every effort to make transition as painless as possible, and offer considerable support from thereon in.

More great Brexit news on 10:05 - Mar 10 with 3193 viewssherpajacob

More great Brexit news on 08:46 - Mar 10 by Private_Partz

Sturgeon would be best waiting until Mrs May delivers a few more speeches to Scottish conservatives on the subject.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

More great Brexit news on 10:22 - Mar 10 with 3176 viewsPrivate_Partz

More great Brexit news on 10:05 - Mar 10 by sherpajacob

Sturgeon would be best waiting until Mrs May delivers a few more speeches to Scottish conservatives on the subject.

I think she should wait at least 4 years and, if things pan out as many of us expect, the Scottish electorate will be begging for independence.

More great Brexit news on 10:22 - Mar 10 with 3176 viewsblueytheblue

More great Brexit news on 09:08 - Mar 10 by Private_Partz

Certainly in the short term as they will be leaving their biggest market. Just as the UK is doing now.
From a EU point of view there is a vested interest in giving us as little as possible and do everything to ensure we suffer. If we left and prospered over and above EU members it would seriously destabilise the whole shooting match.
Conversely a succsful independent Scotland would be a badge of honour for the EU.
I believe they would make every effort to make transition as painless as possible, and offer considerable support from thereon in.

UK trade with EU has been declining year on year. Scottish trade within UK hasn't.

For Scotland to "succeed" as you put it, they'd have to join Euro. They'd have to become a net contributor.

Spain would certainly not be happy - seeing a region ceding from the UK and being accepted into EU on it's own right would be a massive problem with them given their own regional issues.

SNP already have a 1bn hole in their finances. There's nothing to indicate they would be successful in EU on own right - chances are, more likely to be like Greece.

More great Brexit news on 10:41 - Mar 10 with 3164 viewsPrivate_Partz

More great Brexit news on 10:22 - Mar 10 by blueytheblue

UK trade with EU has been declining year on year. Scottish trade within UK hasn't.

For Scotland to "succeed" as you put it, they'd have to join Euro. They'd have to become a net contributor.

Spain would certainly not be happy - seeing a region ceding from the UK and being accepted into EU on it's own right would be a massive problem with them given their own regional issues.

SNP already have a 1bn hole in their finances. There's nothing to indicate they would be successful in EU on own right - chances are, more likely to be like Greece.

I would say they are more like Estonia and Ireland. Scotland has a much more stable infrastructure than Greece had or has. True the irish screwed themselves up after a good initial start. Getting there now though.
Decline with the EU Trading is more to do with austerity this side of the channel as jobs become lower paid, production drops and we become less competitive. We are way behind the rest of the EU. As an aside Wales is way behind the rest of the UK which puts us in perspective under WAG.
I digress. As regards Spain I think they would be on a very sticky wicket denying and independent nation access. I would use Estonia again as an example. This would be very different from the Basques or the Catalans claiming independence. They are already staying in the EU so it is not really comparible.
This would take timeregardless. Possibly close on a decade and I believe a lot of suffering will take place in the interim.

More great Brexit news on 10:55 - Mar 10 with 3146 viewsdailew

More great Brexit news on 10:22 - Mar 10 by blueytheblue

"SNP already have a 1bn hole in their finances."

Compares very favorably with the UK's £68bn "hole" .
[Post edited 10 Mar 2017 10:56]

Poll: Would you like Rodgers back as the new manager ?

More great Brexit news on 11:45 - Mar 10 with 3117 viewsLeonWasGod

More great Brexit news on 14:50 - Mar 9 by Davillin

. .. . and a fatally flawed report by the o.p. about the article.

It does not say that the U.S. is going to abandon the U.K., but that the U.S. Chamber of Commerce has "warned" the U.K. that Brexit could impact U.K. business in the States.

Of course, the Chamber of Commerce is not only not related in any way with the government of the U.S, but is highly selfish for their own members, worried about their own potential losses if the EU. goes titsup.

N.B. Back in the late 1960s-early 70s, the library in the college where I was teaching had a nice variety of international newspapers. Each day's edition was mounted on a wooden multi-section staff-like device, and sat in a rack with the other internationals.

I read The Manchester Guardian, as we called it, still using the old name, daily. I remember it was printed on some kind of very thin, kinda crackly paper, not unlike the "skivvy paper" used by asian hookers in the '50s -- so I have been informed.

If I remember correctly the paper was in some kind of off-white colour, pink? That would have made a kind of sense.

Yep, it's lobbying for government 'incentives' for its members. The Japs have successfully managed it with Nissan and every man and dog is going to be doing it.

I don't think we'll be spending a mythical £350m a week on hospitals somehow. Just a hunch mind....
More great Brexit news on 23:42 - Mar 11 with 3056 viewsJango

More great Brexit news on 10:22 - Mar 10 by Private_Partz

I think she should wait at least 4 years and, if things pan out as many of us expect, the Scottish electorate will be begging for independence.

Many of us as in less than half?
More great Brexit news on 10:45 - Mar 12 with 2982 viewsDewi1jack

Just my opinion but,
If Sturgeon gets her way as far as independance goes, then the Scots could be hit very hard in the short to medium term.

Work permits required by them for the rest of the UK.
Visa's required to enter England, even on a day trip.
Immediate cessation of all Government monies going into Scotland from the rest of the UK. Spending on benefits is 2% higher than the rest of the UK.

http://www.ifs.org.uk/bns/bn139.pdf

The oil revenue belongs predominantly to other countries (not including England in that group.)
The UK is Scotland's biggest market by a country mile. Uk imposed customs tariffs could be set at what the English Parliament wants or at WTO rates. Either way, very very expensive for Scottish businesses. A cost they may not be able to cover.

No guarantee of EU membership- as pointed out, Spain is just one country (amongst others, who would worry about their own regions) would be worried about the Basque and Catalan breaking away.
EU membership cannot happen without many years of negotiation and if I remember rightly, every EU country voting yes- The UK would still be a part of the EU if the neverending referendum takes place next year as Sturgeon wants and could vote no throwing a massive spanner in the works.
Expect any London government to be extremely bitter and twisted about independance, with the Scottish MPs not getting any say, as they'd no longer be part of the the UK political system.

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

More great Brexit news on 12:50 - Mar 12 with 2946 viewsrock1n

I urge you to join the march on the 25th against this Brexit madness if you can make it:

http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/unite-for-europe-national-march-to-parliament

There's no opposition at the moment, it must only come from the millions of p1ssed off people out there.

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter

More great Brexit news on 12:57 - Mar 12 with 2937 viewsBanosswan

More great Brexit news on 12:50 - Mar 12 by rock1n

I urge you to join the march on the 25th against this Brexit madness if you can make it:

http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/unite-for-europe-national-march-to-parliament

There's no opposition at the moment, it must only come from the millions of p1ssed off people out there.

Let's hope they donate to the policing costs.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

More great Brexit news on 12:58 - Mar 12 with 2934 viewsperchrockjack

Estonia also has Putin staring at them.

Just itching to recapture former USSR lands

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

More great Brexit news on 12:59 - Mar 12 with 2932 viewsexiledclaseboy

Heard this fella interviewed on Radio 5 earlier. He was very good and there's some interesting reading here.

http://acgrayling.com/articles

Note - anyone with a penchant for using the epithet "remoaners" as a pejorative probably shouldn't click the link. It's not for you.

Poll: Tory leader

More great Brexit news on 12:59 - Mar 12 with 2932 viewsrock1n

More great Brexit news on 12:57 - Mar 12 by Banosswan

Let's hope they donate to the policing costs.

These are remain people, I doubt there'll be a hint of trouble.

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024