Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
CCCC 09:51 - Mar 28 with 4263 viewsjohnlangy

It stands for Cardiff City Cricket Club.

It's pretty well certain isn't it. With the advent of the City v City idea put forward by the EWCB I don't imagine it would be SCCC.

And that gives the WAG the perfect opportunity to invest more of our money in the white elephant they helped create in Sophia Gardens.

Oh happy days to live in such an enlightened country.
CCCC on 09:56 - Mar 28 with 2943 viewsdickythorpe

I'll support Glammy as they still have SA postcode born players in their side. Aneurin Donald could be a star in the making.

If a "CARDIFF" franchise is born then I will have to think long and hard......I wouldn't want to cut my nose off despite my face as some of the greatest cricketers in the world may play AGAINST them or FOR them.

I remember Viv playing for us and last year watching Dale Steyn was for me a real treat!
CCCC on 09:59 - Mar 28 with 2935 viewsdickythorpe

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/39407046
CCCC on 10:06 - Mar 28 with 2924 viewsblueytheblue

The article says 8 NEW teams.

NEW.

Could be anything, may not even have a Welsh team in there.

Poll: Alternate POTY final

CCCC on 10:08 - Mar 28 with 2921 viewsLeonWasGod

CCCC on 10:06 - Mar 28 by blueytheblue

The article says 8 NEW teams.

NEW.

Could be anything, may not even have a Welsh team in there.

If it involves Cardiff and the possible end of county cricket as that article postulates, you can bet your life on it being the remoulding of Glammy into a City team.
CCCC on 10:25 - Mar 28 with 2891 viewsblueytheblue

CCCC on 10:08 - Mar 28 by LeonWasGod

If it involves Cardiff and the possible end of county cricket as that article postulates, you can bet your life on it being the remoulding of Glammy into a City team.

Am I reading an entirely different article?

"What we are doing here is future-proofing county cricket".

T20 is the current cash cow. Bish bash bosh for the ADHD generation. Games played at times where there are higher potential attendances.

County cricket is fundamentally flawed in that the overwhelming majority of people are working during weekdays... without revenue generators like T20, cricket would be dead.

Completely separate competition, counties remain with their own 50 over, county cricket and T20 matches?

Poll: Alternate POTY final

(No subject) (n/t) on 11:37 - Mar 28 with 2830 viewscymrojack

[Post edited 10 Jun 2021 11:25]

Gwynedd & Swansea - Veteran of Morriston Boys Club

CCCC on 12:17 - Mar 28 with 2795 viewsLeonWasGod

CCCC on 10:25 - Mar 28 by blueytheblue

Am I reading an entirely different article?

"What we are doing here is future-proofing county cricket".

T20 is the current cash cow. Bish bash bosh for the ADHD generation. Games played at times where there are higher potential attendances.

County cricket is fundamentally flawed in that the overwhelming majority of people are working during weekdays... without revenue generators like T20, cricket would be dead.

Completely separate competition, counties remain with their own 50 over, county cricket and T20 matches?

"Is this the end of county cricket?
This will be the first time in the history of domestic cricket that first-class counties are not represented:"

Pretty clear really, irrespective of the spin (no pun intended). Thin edge of the wedge and all that. As you say, the money will flow to this and then where will that leave county cricket? It's similar to the formation of the Premier League all over again, but we've the benefit of hindsight this time.

The money men will get what they want though.
CCCC on 12:18 - Mar 28 with 2795 viewsWarwickHunt

(No subject) (n/t) on 11:37 - Mar 28 by cymrojack

[Post edited 10 Jun 2021 11:25]

Simple answer is correct.

There's the slight matter of the ECB* to consider though.

However, if they have any sense they'll make the teams regional rather than city based.

*Not ExiledClaseBoy.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2017 12:21]
Login to get fewer ads

CCCC on 19:03 - Mar 28 with 2661 viewsPrivate_Partz

BBC Cardiff already making noises about a Cardiff 20/20 team in Sophia Gardens.
One thing that shocked me were the attendance figures. 20/ 20 attracting 5000 which must leave them rattling around in a stadium that size. Glamorgan's average attendances however did not seem to be measurable with '100s' quoted!
What a shocking waste of time and money it was shifting the whole shooting match from St Helens with the complete demise of Glamorgan CC as byproduct.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

CCCC on 19:12 - Mar 28 with 2645 viewsexiledclaseboy

It's a city based competition and one of the venues is Cardiff. It's a given that one of the teams will carry the name "Cardiff". Glamorgan will still exist and play in all the competitions they already do. The two teams will be separate entities. Won't be the end if county cricket either. If successful the competition will prop up the county game even more than the ECB already does. The county championship exists only to provide players for the national team. It hasn't been profitable for decades, if ever.

Poll: Tory leader

CCCC on 19:15 - Mar 28 with 2637 viewsmonmouth

Cardiff C*nting C*ntish C*nts?

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

CCCC on 19:36 - Mar 28 with 2605 viewsPrivate_Partz

CCCC on 19:12 - Mar 28 by exiledclaseboy

It's a city based competition and one of the venues is Cardiff. It's a given that one of the teams will carry the name "Cardiff". Glamorgan will still exist and play in all the competitions they already do. The two teams will be separate entities. Won't be the end if county cricket either. If successful the competition will prop up the county game even more than the ECB already does. The county championship exists only to provide players for the national team. It hasn't been profitable for decades, if ever.

County Cricket used to attract decent crowds down here I seem to recall, on the very few times I went there. It seems to have gone seriously Pete Tong since it moved eastwards. Maybe the Balconeers will get together to get our very own 20/20 team? It would be a start to provide the majority in this area, with a love of the sport, an outlet.

Disclaimer: I know very little about cricket as I have demonstrated on here in the past but. The simple maths of attendances however does not seem to justify a few decent crowds in Sophia Gardens for the odd test match. Particukarly when St Helens used to attract similar crowds when such matches were held there. Plus Glamorgan had better support as well.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

CCCC on 19:38 - Mar 28 with 2603 viewsWarwickHunt

CCCC on 19:36 - Mar 28 by Private_Partz

County Cricket used to attract decent crowds down here I seem to recall, on the very few times I went there. It seems to have gone seriously Pete Tong since it moved eastwards. Maybe the Balconeers will get together to get our very own 20/20 team? It would be a start to provide the majority in this area, with a love of the sport, an outlet.

Disclaimer: I know very little about cricket as I have demonstrated on here in the past but. The simple maths of attendances however does not seem to justify a few decent crowds in Sophia Gardens for the odd test match. Particukarly when St Helens used to attract similar crowds when such matches were held there. Plus Glamorgan had better support as well.

Who would the Balconeers' XI play?
CCCC on 19:48 - Mar 28 with 2588 viewsexiledclaseboy

CCCC on 19:36 - Mar 28 by Private_Partz

Depends what you mean by county cricket. One day games were always traditionally well attended at St Helen's. County championship matches tend to be played in front of a couple of old men and their dogs regardless of venue. Swansea has never hosted a Test match.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2017 19:52]

CCCC on 20:30 - Mar 28 with 2542 viewsPrivate_Partz

CCCC on 19:48 - Mar 28 by exiledclaseboy

Depends what you mean by county cricket. One day games were always traditionally well attended at St Helen's. County championship matches tend to be played in front of a couple of old men and their dogs regardless of venue. Swansea has never hosted a Test match.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2017 19:52]

My bad. I must mean visiting touring teams. Here the crowds would have matched the test games played in Cardiff. I recall Wilf Wooler commentating and regularly overlooking what seemed like full houses. Garfield Sobers and his six sixes etc.
I am quite old..63 and when I lived in the Uplands as a kid I remember loads packing sandwiches and taking a few days leave to go and watch the cricket.
Maybe County Cricket is on the decline generally now, I don't know.

CCCC on 20:36 - Mar 28 with 2527 viewsPrivate_Partz

CCCC on 19:38 - Mar 28 by WarwickHunt

Who would the Balconeers' XI play?

I thought the Balconeers were the driving force behind begging Cardiff Cricket Club to give us a few games.
If this is the case I would have thought they would be the leading light in getting a SCCC 20/20 team.
Again open to correction but if there is an appetitive for 20/20 Cricket then surely there would be as great, if not greater, support for such a club when compared to Cardiff.

CCCC on 20:41 - Mar 28 with 2525 viewsexiledclaseboy

CCCC on 20:30 - Mar 28 by Private_Partz

My bad. I must mean visiting touring teams. Here the crowds would have matched the test games played in Cardiff. I recall Wilf Wooler commentating and regularly overlooking what seemed like full houses. Garfield Sobers and his six sixes etc.
I am quite old..63 and when I lived in the Uplands as a kid I remember loads packing sandwiches and taking a few days leave to go and watch the cricket.
Maybe County Cricket is on the decline generally now, I don't know.

But those games were once very few years and major special attractions. Even the Gnoll had big crowds for a game against Australia back in the day. The way tours are scheduled these days those type of games hardly ever happen now. Look I'm not trying to disparage St Helen's, I hate what's been allowed to happen to the place and the fact that Glamorgan hardly play there these days. I've had some of my best days out there watching Glamorgan. But St Helen's was neve going to be a major, modern international cricket venue in the way Sofia Gardens now is.

CCCC on 20:48 - Mar 28 with 2508 viewsPrivate_Partz

CCCC on 20:41 - Mar 28 by exiledclaseboy

But those games were once very few years and major special attractions. Even the Gnoll had big crowds for a game against Australia back in the day. The way tours are scheduled these days those type of games hardly ever happen now. Look I'm not trying to disparage St Helen's, I hate what's been allowed to happen to the place and the fact that Glamorgan hardly play there these days. I've had some of my best days out there watching Glamorgan. But St Helen's was neve going to be a major, modern international cricket venue in the way Sofia Gardens now is.

Ok thanks for the heads up. I still think SG is one massive white elephant though and is only getting decent crowds for test matches subsidised by WAG.
I hope if this 20/20 thing takes off then maybe we can get a Swansea Bay Region Club going. Maybe we can even build a stand on the Patti end so we we can get the 'bowl' back.
Even I might be tempted on a warm summer evening if there is a decent beer tent ;-)

CCCC on 20:50 - Mar 28 with 2508 viewsmonmouth

CCCC on 20:41 - Mar 28 by exiledclaseboy

I had one of my best ever sleeps at St Helens, in the sun, listening to Glam ineptly floundering against Pakistan in the 70s.

CCCC on 21:01 - Mar 28 with 2484 viewsexiledclaseboy

I'm not a huge fan of T20 but it'll be good to see cricket back on terrestrial TV again, hopefully the BBC. Participation and interest has floundered badly since all England games went behind Sky's paywall. 8m viewers on C4 in 2005, down to about a tenth of that these days and live crowds down too.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2017 21:02]

CCCC on 21:03 - Mar 28 with 2477 viewsWarwickHunt

CCCC on 20:50 - Mar 28 by monmouth

I had one of my best ever sleeps at St Helens, in the sun, listening to Glam ineptly floundering against Pakistan in the 70s.

Majid twàtted us all over the place including a direct hit on a pint glass on a table in front of a beer tent on the rugby pitch side.

Early example of "Jenkins Syndrome". Unusually, it worked.

Loved watching Majid and then Roy Fredericks.
Alan Jones was my batting hero though.
CCCC on 21:06 - Mar 28 with 2471 viewsexiledclaseboy

CCCC on 21:03 - Mar 28 by WarwickHunt

Majid twàtted us all over the place including a direct hit on a pint glass on a table in front of a beer tent on the rugby pitch side.

I never realised you were so old.

CCCC on 21:07 - Mar 28 with 2470 viewsmonmouth

CCCC on 21:03 - Mar 28 by WarwickHunt

I think Pakistan were fielding...remember Inzamam bowling. All you could see of Majid was a nose and a sunhat. I liked Mike 'shit or bust' Llewellyn.

Can't have been the Inzamam I'mthinking of.....who was the baldy spinner?
[Post edited 28 Mar 2017 21:09]

CCCC on 21:10 - Mar 28 with 2456 viewslondonlisa2001

CCCC on 21:06 - Mar 28 by exiledclaseboy

I never realised you were so old.

My summer job when I was a teenager was as cricket scorer for Velindre. A very neat set of scorebooks I kept as well. I also turned my hand to making cricket teas in between my scorer exploits.

This was followed by a memorable few summers as the 'star' (cough) medium paced bowler for my college team (ladies 1st 11). Very good we were too. We had vast support from the men in college who found it hilarious, though strangely addictive :-)
CCCC on 21:13 - Mar 28 with 2453 viewsexiledclaseboy

CCCC on 21:10 - Mar 28 by londonlisa2001

My summer job when I was a teenager was as cricket scorer for Velindre. A very neat set of scorebooks I kept as well. I also turned my hand to making cricket teas in between my scorer exploits.

This was followed by a memorable few summers as the 'star' (cough) medium paced bowler for my college team (ladies 1st 11). Very good we were too. We had vast support from the men in college who found it hilarious, though strangely addictive :-)

Probably transfixed by all the jiggling in those pre-sports bra days.

I realise that's an unbelievably sexist thing to say and I am suitably appalled at myself.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024