Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Afan Valley adventure resort 18:35 - Apr 12 with 3594 viewsPacemaker

Media releases today that a new Centre Parc style resort will open in the Afan Valley in the next few years. Can you see this happening? Would this attract people to S West Wales?

Afan Valley is well known to MTB riders but most come, ride and leave with just a few from the south east of England staying for a few days, who bring all their goods and drink so don't spend anything locally.

This is at least the second type of resort " launched" in the last 20 years. There is a small number of cabins near Tonmawr but that's about it. Do we have the ability to attract big businesses when we have fantastic scenery good road and rail links with the M4 and A465 all around us?

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/what-center-parcs-founder-pl

http://adventureresorts.co.uk/
[Post edited 12 Apr 2017 19:07]

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

Afan Valley adventure resort on 18:41 - Apr 12 with 2958 viewsLohengrin

It could be a goer, Pace. If you lived somewhere like east London or Birmingham then the views at the top of the Afan would take your breath away. Center Parcs tend to appeal just as much to those seeking peace and quiet as outdoor activity.

Because we live in this neck of the woods I think we sometimes lose sight of just what we've got.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Afan Valley adventure resort on 18:50 - Apr 12 with 2946 viewsPrivate_Partz

Afan Valley adventure resort on 18:41 - Apr 12 by Lohengrin

It could be a goer, Pace. If you lived somewhere like east London or Birmingham then the views at the top of the Afan would take your breath away. Center Parcs tend to appeal just as much to those seeking peace and quiet as outdoor activity.

Because we live in this neck of the woods I think we sometimes lose sight of just what we've got.

Yep I agree with this. They tend to be very self contained as well and are an attraction regardless of the weather.
I hope this one comes off.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Afan Valley adventure resort on 18:59 - Apr 12 with 2930 viewsPacemaker

Afan Valley adventure resort on 18:41 - Apr 12 by Lohengrin

Pessimism rules around here I guess, I spend a lot of time walking or riding from Baglan up the Afan as far as the edge of the Beacons and down the Neath canal and we just don't do anything to make life easy or attract visitors.

If you are in Europe in similar areas you will see proper signs for walkers and cyclists over 100s of miles, mountain top huts, restaurants etc. I am always getting approached by casual walkers lost on the cycle path between Cwmafan and Cymmer. If you can't get even something like that sign posted correctly then a big development like that stands little chance.

We just play at it rather than throwing ourselves fully into these type of developments, I have a soft spot for the Afan Valley and hope it takes off with all the work and training opportunities for local people that could be realised.

Afan Valley adventure resort on 19:03 - Apr 12 with 2917 viewsBanosswan

I'd go there and I live about five miles away.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Afan Valley adventure resort on 19:08 - Apr 12 with 2895 viewslifelong

If it were a large resort with similar facilities to Centre Parcs or Bluestone in Pembrokeshire it would certainly attract people to the area.
Afan Valley adventure resort on 19:12 - Apr 12 with 2888 viewsKilkennyjack

Afan Valley adventure resort on 19:08 - Apr 12 by lifelong

If it were a large resort with similar facilities to Centre Parcs or Bluestone in Pembrokeshire it would certainly attract people to the area.

Perfect project for our Objective One European structural funding. Oh hang on .... #feckwits

Beware of the Risen People

Afan Valley adventure resort on 19:15 - Apr 12 with 2875 viewsDarran

Fuçking cyclists going past here on the weekend are a pain in the arse.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Afan Valley adventure resort on 19:25 - Apr 12 with 2866 viewsClinton

Afan Valley adventure resort on 19:15 - Apr 12 by Darran

Fuçking cyclists going past here on the weekend are a pain in the arse.

It's those tiny saddles what causes it.

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Login to get fewer ads

Afan Valley adventure resort on 19:27 - Apr 12 with 2863 viewsLeonWasGod

Yep, potentially a goer. But it will be of no use to local businesses if it's run like a Centre Parcs as they're like concentration camps - all fenced in and they do nothing to encourage guests to spend time in the surrounding area.
Afan Valley adventure resort on 19:30 - Apr 12 with 2852 viewsDarran

Afan Valley adventure resort on 19:25 - Apr 12 by Clinton

It's those tiny saddles what causes it.

Indeed.

Afan Valley adventure resort on 20:54 - Apr 12 with 2801 viewsLohengrin

Afan Valley adventure resort on 18:59 - Apr 12 by Pacemaker

Pessimism rules around here I guess, I spend a lot of time walking or riding from Baglan up the Afan as far as the edge of the Beacons and down the Neath canal and we just don't do anything to make life easy or attract visitors.

If you are in Europe in similar areas you will see proper signs for walkers and cyclists over 100s of miles, mountain top huts, restaurants etc. I am always getting approached by casual walkers lost on the cycle path between Cwmafan and Cymmer. If you can't get even something like that sign posted correctly then a big development like that stands little chance.

We just play at it rather than throwing ourselves fully into these type of developments, I have a soft spot for the Afan Valley and hope it takes off with all the work and training opportunities for local people that could be realised.

Yes, I'm afraid I recognise the truth in all your points there. We've never made a concerted attempt to get the most out of the tremendous landscape that surrounds us here. It was never the best under the old Welsh Office, if anything it's worse under the Assembly.

What is probably required is the formation of a lobby/campaign group to push for planning and improvement fronted by somebody articulate and driven. Somebody very much like your good self, mate.

Afan Valley adventure resort on 21:11 - Apr 12 with 2773 viewsPacemaker

Afan Valley adventure resort on 20:54 - Apr 12 by Lohengrin

Yes, I'm afraid I recognise the truth in all your points there. We've never made a concerted attempt to get the most out of the tremendous landscape that surrounds us here. It was never the best under the old Welsh Office, if anything it's worse under the Assembly.

What is probably required is the formation of a lobby/campaign group to push for planning and improvement fronted by somebody articulate and driven. Somebody very much like your good self, mate.

Oddly enough I sent in a piece to NRW and NPTCBC pointing out the advantages of proper signs, maps, keeping gates and paths maintained and how to attract visitors to the area based on a scheme I saw in NZ.........The response was along the lines of it will only get vandalised,stolen,the budget is not there for that type of thing, we will get sued and the like.

I pointed out how much of the work you n NZ and Switzerland was done by cooperatives which eventually ended up employing local people who had been volunteers or users of the facilities.

I even offered to set up a visitor information pod at the Rhyslyn car park in Pontrhydyfen to assist MTB's and walkers for top tips for routes etc on weekends, BH etc. All I wanted was for them to print off the maps from their own site.......no and don't park there giving them out yourself!

Us Welsh like to moan but refuse to o anything about it.....The graveyard of ambition comes to mind....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishskel/7110349389/
[Post edited 12 Apr 2017 21:36]

Afan Valley adventure resort on 21:28 - Apr 12 with 2750 viewsLohengrin

Afan Valley adventure resort on 21:11 - Apr 12 by Pacemaker

Oddly enough I sent in a piece to NRW and NPTCBC pointing out the advantages of proper signs, maps, keeping gates and paths maintained and how to attract visitors to the area based on a scheme I saw in NZ.........The response was along the lines of it will only get vandalised,stolen,the budget is not there for that type of thing, we will get sued and the like.

I pointed out how much of the work you n NZ and Switzerland was done by cooperatives which eventually ended up employing local people who had been volunteers or users of the facilities.

I even offered to set up a visitor information pod at the Rhyslyn car park in Pontrhydyfen to assist MTB's and walkers for top tips for routes etc on weekends, BH etc. All I wanted was for them to print off the maps from their own site.......no and don't park there giving them out yourself!

Us Welsh like to moan but refuse to o anything about it.....The graveyard of ambition comes to mind....

Your next step could be an article submitted to The Evening Post to gather like minds, of which I'm sure there are many.

NPT's response to your initiative is lamentable. If enough noise was made perhaps they could be embarrassed into action?

PS: I knew you wouldn't be the type who just sits back and moans.

Afan Valley adventure resort on 21:44 - Apr 12 with 2722 viewsperchrockjack

Ive been hammered for suggesting we ve simply not made the most of what we have

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Afan Valley adventure resort on 21:46 - Apr 12 with 2717 viewsLohengrin

Afan Valley adventure resort on 21:44 - Apr 12 by perchrockjack

Ive been hammered for suggesting we ve simply not made the most of what we have

Free the Wirral One!

Afan Valley adventure resort on 21:49 - Apr 12 with 2707 viewsperchrockjack

Same here .full of nimbys

We have it all but in west Kirkby we have no hotel at all and the hoylake golf resort plan is being fought

Wirral is a huge golf area but sadly deeply affected by snobbery

Afan Valley adventure resort on 22:20 - Apr 12 with 2658 viewsPegojack

On a wider theme, I've always thought there is tremendous tourist potential in re-inventing all the old Beeching railway line routes as cycle paths in out of the way places like the Afan Valley.
There's a cracking former railway way line route from Hereford to Brecon, which is just overgrown wasteland at the moment.
I'm not talking gravel here, I mean proper tarmac-ed or concreted pathways like they do so well in Holland.
Build it and they will come!
Afan Valley adventure resort on 22:37 - Apr 12 with 2642 viewslondonlisa2001

Afan Valley adventure resort on 22:20 - Apr 12 by Pegojack

On a wider theme, I've always thought there is tremendous tourist potential in re-inventing all the old Beeching railway line routes as cycle paths in out of the way places like the Afan Valley.
There's a cracking former railway way line route from Hereford to Brecon, which is just overgrown wasteland at the moment.
I'm not talking gravel here, I mean proper tarmac-ed or concreted pathways like they do so well in Holland.

The one they've done down the old railway track to Blackpill is excellent.
Afan Valley adventure resort on 23:07 - Apr 12 with 2617 viewsPrivate_Partz

Afan Valley adventure resort on 22:20 - Apr 12 by Pegojack

There is so much more to be done. They are quick wins as well as all the heavy work is done with rail bridges, cuttings and embankments.
Lisa is right about Clyne Valley in Swansea but the first part was completed in 1984 and the Gowerton section in the early 90s .
The are areas such as Gorseinon, Penclawdd, Llanelli, waunarlwydd, Sketty Park, Derwen Fawr that could comparatively easily be linked in to the track but diddly squat happens. The Swansea Valley has been improved though.
Check out the Sustrans maps. Where do you think the vast majority of tracks are? You've guessed it .....Cardiff and it's valleys.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Afan Valley adventure resort on 23:11 - Apr 12 with 2613 viewsLeonWasGod

Afan Valley adventure resort on 21:46 - Apr 12 by Lohengrin

Free the Wirral One!

Welease Wichard!

Afan Valley adventure resort on 05:55 - Apr 13 with 2570 viewsEdmundo

It must be election time eh!

Loads of promises but feck all delivered, sums up NPT council 😁

Swansea City-Officially the best football team in Wales-FACT

Afan Valley adventure resort on 07:31 - Apr 13 with 2526 viewsSwanzay

Afan Valley adventure resort on 21:11 - Apr 12 by Pacemaker

Would you mind posting your tips on here? Would like to explore the Afan Valley with my Spaniel.

Much appreciated.
Afan Valley adventure resort on 16:26 - Apr 13 with 2443 viewsPacemaker

Afan Valley adventure resort on 07:31 - Apr 13 by Swanzay

Would you mind posting your tips on here? Would like to explore the Afan Valley with my Spaniel.

Much appreciated.

What sort of walk do you want to do? How far would you like to walk?

There are routes on the Afan Argoed site but they are virtually useless unless you know the area.

My favourite short but steepish ( in parts) walk is park in the Rhyslyn car park at Pontrhydyfen

Afan Valley adventure resort on 16:29 - Apr 13 with 2440 viewsperchrockjack

I'm free

Afan Valley adventure resort on 16:45 - Apr 13 with 2432 viewsDarran

Afan Valley adventure resort on 16:26 - Apr 13 by Pacemaker

What sort of walk do you want to do? How far would you like to walk?

There are routes on the Afan Argoed site but they are virtually useless unless you know the area.

My favourite short but steepish ( in parts) walk is park in the Rhyslyn car park at Pontrhydyfen

If you're afraid of heights get someone to help you across the bridge.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024