Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
16 years since we last relegated 09:01 - Apr 16 with 3643 viewsmarchamjack

I imagine lots on here have never been through this with the Swans. By the way, that's no judgement one way or the other on the younger followers, we all start out somewhere, just saying.

Back in the '80's relegation seemed a way of life following the Swans!

The one thing I will say having been through it 5 times I think in my Swans following lifetime, whatever people say about they don't mind going down (and that's their call) is that it takes a while to adjust to just how sht by comparison the general standard of football is from one league to another and how relatively poor the players are all round. Anyone thinks the football wont be noticeable worse in the Championship is deluding themselves. We'll think Ki was Maradona :)

I will say however that Easter weekend will be less boring with more Swans games on over the period, which is what prompted me to post here. I did used to enjoy the lower league cram of fixtures over this weekend.

Dreading relegation and missing the PL though. Whatever anyone says, rocking up at Huddersfield does not have the same attraction as a day out at Anfield. Missing out on watching Aguero, Kane, Klop on the touchline is going to take some getting used to.

Oh,..Dave, what's occuring?

16 years since we last relegated on 09:07 - Apr 16 with 2965 viewsAl_Bundy

Offset by in theory win we more games and be competitive.

Us, Burnley, Hull, Bournemouth and Watford are punching well above our weight in the Premier League as a club so any longevity is a real plus.

The Championship has bigger clubs waiting to step up .. Newcastle, Brighton, Sheff Wed, Leeds who could do it this season and Villa, Norwich, Derby and Forest who could do it next season.
16 years since we last relegated on 10:58 - Apr 16 with 2849 viewsDewi1jack

Aye.
Relegation is a sickener, especially when you're losing silly games at the start of the next season while everything adjusts.

The only bonus (if you can call it that) is the scum who sold us out and the muppets who gave us "soccer camp" Bob are going to be able to skim next to nothing from us.
How we laughed at our Eastern neighbours with Tan putting in a £ million a month.

Let's all hope the Yanks can afford to, because the parachute payments aren't going to cover the clubs' running costs

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

16 years since we last relegated on 11:05 - Apr 16 with 2826 viewsPegojack

16 years since we last relegated on 10:58 - Apr 16 by Dewi1jack

Aye.
Relegation is a sickener, especially when you're losing silly games at the start of the next season while everything adjusts.

The only bonus (if you can call it that) is the scum who sold us out and the muppets who gave us "soccer camp" Bob are going to be able to skim next to nothing from us.
How we laughed at our Eastern neighbours with Tan putting in a £ million a month.

Let's all hope the Yanks can afford to, because the parachute payments aren't going to cover the clubs' running costs

I suppose we'll go through the usual relegated Premier League club scenario over the next few months - a sell off of any players they can ship out the door and mass redundancies amongst the back room staff.

I expect McBurnie to be featuring as our number one striker next season.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2017 13:09]
16 years since we last relegated on 11:17 - Apr 16 with 2789 viewsicecoldjack

16 years since we last relegated on 11:05 - Apr 16 by Pegojack

I suppose we'll go through the usual relegated Premier League club scenario over the next few months - a sell off of any players they can ship out the door and mass redundancies amongst the back room staff.

A scary though, Mcburnie as number 1 striker.

You are correct though, the Swans will struggle once dropping out, the thing that got us there was our style of play and momentum neither of which we now have, i'm hoping the likes of Britton,dyer,routs and rangel have enough in the tank to get us steady in the championship, with players like Mawson playing at the correct level and the likes of Ollson hopefully staying(i think he has proven himself to be a great signing and i think he will be a target for promoted clubs, good left backs are hard to find).

We need to work on our style of play though, if clement persists in this long ball dross the fans will turn on him sharpish, he will have 10 games in the championship to make us look like the Swans or the fans will go mental IMO.
16 years since we last relegated on 11:22 - Apr 16 with 2770 viewsDarran

If I remember correctly the last time we got relegated we lost 2-1 to Oldham at an empty Vetch.

Not many people seemed to care because they hoped we'd see the back of John Hollins and Mike Lewis etc.

A lot of people are saying something similar now.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

16 years since we last relegated on 11:23 - Apr 16 with 2754 viewsshandyjack

16 years since we last relegated on 11:05 - Apr 16 by Pegojack

we couldn't lose Baf,Llorente and Baston in the summer and start next season with McBurnie up front as main striker next season surely?

Poll: Expectation for the season

16 years since we last relegated on 11:26 - Apr 16 with 2734 viewsicecoldjack

16 years since we last relegated on 11:22 - Apr 16 by Darran

If I remember correctly the last time we got relegated we lost 2-1 to Oldham at an empty Vetch.

Not many people seemed to care because they hoped we'd see the back of John Hollins and Mike Lewis etc.

That's a fair point, though it shows how fooked up things are when a relegation is deemed as a step forward.
16 years since we last relegated on 11:28 - Apr 16 with 2719 viewsA_Fans_Dad

16 years since we last relegated on 11:23 - Apr 16 by shandyjack

we couldn't lose Baf,Llorente and Baston in the summer and start next season with McBurnie up front as main striker next season surely?

Why?
None of those 3 will want to play Championship football, they will all go back to where they came from.
We then have to attract someone else good enough to play up front.
Login to get fewer ads

16 years since we last relegated on 11:28 - Apr 16 with 2727 viewsexiledclaseboy

16 years since we last relegated on 11:22 - Apr 16 by Darran

We then whooped Brentford 6-0 in the final game of the season. There were 20,000 people at the Vetch watching, if everyone who claims to be there actually was.

Poll: Tory leader

16 years since we last relegated on 11:31 - Apr 16 with 2705 viewsDarran

16 years since we last relegated on 11:26 - Apr 16 by icecoldjack

That's a fair point, though it shows how fooked up things are when a relegation is deemed as a step forward.

I remember one of the press men I knew telling me the following week that after the game he'd wanted to interview someone from the board of directors but there was nobody there because five minutes before the end of our game Mike Lewis,Don Goss and others had fuçked off down St Helen's on a freebie because the Whites were playing.

Another similarity is that the directors didn't care back then either.

16 years since we last relegated on 11:33 - Apr 16 with 2697 viewsDarran

16 years since we last relegated on 11:28 - Apr 16 by exiledclaseboy

We then whooped Brentford 6-0 in the final game of the season. There were 20,000 people at the Vetch watching, if everyone who claims to be there actually was.

I was there.

16 years since we last relegated on 11:33 - Apr 16 with 2694 viewsshandyjack

16 years since we last relegated on 11:28 - Apr 16 by A_Fans_Dad

Why?
None of those 3 will want to play Championship football, they will all go back to where they came from.
We then have to attract someone else good enough to play up front.

i agree we will lose those 3 but surely with the money we'd recoup for them (£20mish) we'd invest that on a proven striker rather than risk McBurnie being good enough

16 years since we last relegated on 11:34 - Apr 16 with 2688 viewsshandyjack

16 years since we last relegated on 11:33 - Apr 16 by Darran

I was there.

i was, we scored 3/4 goals from corners. The North bank was empty mun

16 years since we last relegated on 11:39 - Apr 16 with 2667 viewsicecoldjack

16 years since we last relegated on 11:31 - Apr 16 by Darran

I remember one of the press men I knew telling me the following week that after the game he'd wanted to interview someone from the board of directors but there was nobody there because five minutes before the end of our game Mike Lewis,Don Goss and others had fuçked off down St Helen's on a freebie because the Whites were playing.

Another similarity is that the directors didn't care back then either.

But they haven't cared for the last 2 yrs, concerned with cashing in instead, making the balance sheet look presentable for sale, yet most were happy to stick the head in the sand and say in huw we trust, instead of questioning the pathetic running down of the club and its playing staff.
16 years since we last relegated on 11:42 - Apr 16 with 2666 viewsDarran

16 years since we last relegated on 11:39 - Apr 16 by icecoldjack

But they haven't cared for the last 2 yrs, concerned with cashing in instead, making the balance sheet look presentable for sale, yet most were happy to stick the head in the sand and say in huw we trust, instead of questioning the pathetic running down of the club and its playing staff.

You've seen or heard me say in Huw we trust.
I knew Huw Jenkins before any of you had heard of him,he wasn't even watching Swansea City play at the time of Tony Petty because he was chairman of another club.

16 years since we last relegated on 11:56 - Apr 16 with 2604 viewsdobjack2

16 years since we last relegated on 11:33 - Apr 16 by shandyjack

i agree we will lose those 3 but surely with the money we'd recoup for them (£20mish) we'd invest that on a proven striker rather than risk McBurnie being good enough

The big question- where will money go if we get relegated?

Clearly some players will want to move on and some will be the target of other clubs.

A lot will depend on how much we have to pay certain players. If relegation clauses are absent there will be no takers for some of them and no reason for them to leave. Premier league contracts in the championship will soon eat into player funds especially as our majority owners are unlikely to be putting money into the team.

The flip side is if they put money in for one season it won't be in the form of a gift.
16 years since we last relegated on 12:14 - Apr 16 with 2555 viewswaynekerr55

16 years since we last relegated on 11:42 - Apr 16 by Darran

You've seen or heard me say in Huw we trust.
I knew Huw Jenkins before any of you had heard of him,he wasn't even watching Swansea City play at the time of Tony Petty because he was chairman of another club.

That's bollōcks Dar - he's a lifelong fan who isn't out for himself. JBT said so 😉🤔

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

16 years since we last relegated on 12:16 - Apr 16 with 2560 viewsWingstandwood

16 years since we last relegated on 10:58 - Apr 16 by Dewi1jack

Aye.

Bang on! The scum/hangers-on that infiltrated our beloved club? A case of without Premier League status?.....A bunch of vultures swooping down from high to find nothing but a pile of bones instead of a delicious, mouthwatering, calorie/carbohydrate laden, prime, juicy, meaty Premier League carcass!

Hopefully they'll turn on eachother and start eating themselves!

Argus!

16 years since we last relegated on 12:17 - Apr 16 with 2546 viewswaynekerr55

16 years since we last relegated on 12:16 - Apr 16 by Wingstandwood

Bang on! The scum/hangers-on that infiltrated our beloved club? A case of without Premier League status?.....A bunch of vultures swooping down from high to find nothing but a pile of bones instead of a delicious, mouthwatering, calorie/carbohydrate laden, prime, juicy, meaty Premier League carcass!

Hopefully they'll turn on eachother and start eating themselves!

Eat each other? Dineen's been waiting for that opportunity...

16 years since we last relegated on 12:21 - Apr 16 with 2536 viewsWingstandwood

16 years since we last relegated on 12:17 - Apr 16 by waynekerr55

Eat each other? Dineen's been waiting for that opportunity...

Argus!

16 years since we last relegated on 12:22 - Apr 16 with 2520 viewswaynekerr55

16 years since we last relegated on 12:21 - Apr 16 by Wingstandwood

Well you did put it on a plate for me and unlike Fernandez I took the tap in 😉

16 years since we last relegated on 12:41 - Apr 16 with 2483 viewsJackanapes

Having watched us promoted three times in four seasons going up, I then watched us relegated three times in four seasons going down.1978 we were in the old fourth div. In 1986 we arrived back there having done the full yo-yo. I have to say the ride down was every bit as hideous as the ride up was good. If things do balance themselves out then the next few years are going to be awful.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2017 12:42]

“The stupidest thing she knew was for people to act like they knew all about the things they knew absolutely nothing about.”

16 years since we last relegated on 12:52 - Apr 16 with 2438 viewsRevJames

"It takes a while to adjust how sh*t by comparison the general standard of football is from one league to another and how relatively poor the players are all around."

I would think that we would fit in quite well then in the lower leagues. Which one, I'm not so sure at the moment.....
16 years since we last relegated on 22:10 - Apr 16 with 2120 viewsNeathJack

16 years since we last relegated on 11:28 - Apr 16 by exiledclaseboy

I was at the Oldham game and admittedly didn't bother for that Brentford game. Typical really.
16 years since we last relegated on 22:18 - Apr 16 with 2073 viewsDarran

16 years since we last relegated on 22:10 - Apr 16 by NeathJack

I was at the Oldham game and admittedly didn't bother for that Brentford game. Typical really.

Yeah you'd have been over the moon.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024