Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
THE STOP PLAYING SIGGY ON THE WING THREAD 08:50 - Apr 19 with 3141 viewsE20Jack

Does anybody know how many goals we have scored with Gylfi out wide?

I would rather him dropped all together and play a winger there than play an out of position Gylfi. I have never seen anyone with such little pace given that role, not just once but repeatedly. Gylfi is at his best when he is linking centrally with the striker amd can put through some defence splitting passes, or take a long ramge shot. Out wide he cant really do any of this at all. I just don't get it.

If he plays him out wide against Stoke killing one of our post potent attacking streams then I have lost all faith in him, we have scored 1 in 7 hours of football (not been unlucky either) and it seems clear why. If anyone does have that stat though I would love to see it.

Poll: 6 point deduction and sellouts lose all their cash?

THE STOP PLAYING SIGGY ON THE WING THREAD on 09:07 - Apr 19 with 1940 viewsandypitt56

He hasnt been playing on the left side, If you actually watch siggy, the only time he is on the left is when we are defending, When we are attacking he has free reign to go where he likes. Olson and Carrol always take up the spot on the left wing.
THE STOP PLAYING SIGGY ON THE WING THREAD on 10:04 - Apr 19 with 1899 viewsangryjack

We actually play 4 2 3 1 with 2 holding midfielders then a tight 3 with siggy to the left of that and one up front whichever way you want describe it it don't suit him
THE STOP PLAYING SIGGY ON THE WING THREAD on 10:06 - Apr 19 with 1891 viewsperchrockjack

Frankly, not sure how we play

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

THE STOP PLAYING SIGGY ON THE WING THREAD on 10:07 - Apr 19 with 1886 viewsLoyal

THE STOP PLAYING SIGGY ON THE WING THREAD on 10:06 - Apr 19 by perchrockjack

I think you will find its badly.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

THE STOP PLAYING SIGGY ON THE WING THREAD on 10:09 - Apr 19 with 1882 viewsperchrockjack

Tap in left for you.

English is a strange language is it not

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

THE STOP PLAYING SIGGY ON THE WING THREAD on 10:56 - Apr 19 with 1826 viewsKGriz16

THE STOP PLAYING SIGGY ON THE WING THREAD on 10:04 - Apr 19 by angryjack

We actually play 4 2 3 1 with 2 holding midfielders then a tight 3 with siggy to the left of that and one up front whichever way you want describe it it don't suit him

I can tell you for a fact we do not play 4-2-3-1 with a tight top three. We play 4-3-3 with a front three of Siggy, Llorente and whomever PC chooses at RW. Look at team set up when we attack/have the ball.
THE STOP PLAYING SIGGY ON THE WING THREAD on 12:04 - Apr 19 with 1767 viewsjasper_T

Play him deeper as part of the midfield three, not at 10. Routledge and anyone else who can run fast and off the ball up around Llorente.

It's not like the players he'll displace are tearing up any trees. He'll run about a lot and have more targets ahead of him for his silly passes.
THE STOP PLAYING SIGGY ON THE WING THREAD on 12:40 - Apr 19 with 1735 viewsjack247

THE STOP PLAYING SIGGY ON THE WING THREAD on 09:07 - Apr 19 by andypitt56

He hasnt been playing on the left side, If you actually watch siggy, the only time he is on the left is when we are defending, When we are attacking he has free reign to go where he likes. Olson and Carrol always take up the spot on the left wing.

It's surprising how few can see this. He isn't playing as a winger. How often do we see him take the full back on near the touchline and whip a cross in.

He just isn't compatible with Llorente, aside from at set pieces. We can't afford to drop either though, as we have next to no goal threat without them'.

I doubt he would be much more productive at #10'. He would do more chasing and closing down centre backs, but we would have to leave out a central midfielder. I don't think we have good enough wingers to justify getting overrun in the middle.

Before anyone says it, I know what we are doing now isn't working, I just don't think moving Siggy more centrally would help.
Login to get fewer ads

THE STOP PLAYING SIGGY ON THE WING THREAD on 12:45 - Apr 19 with 1724 viewsGriffting

THE STOP PLAYING SIGGY ON THE WING THREAD on 12:04 - Apr 19 by jasper_T

Play him deeper as part of the midfield three, not at 10. Routledge and anyone else who can run fast and off the ball up around Llorente.

It's not like the players he'll displace are tearing up any trees. He'll run about a lot and have more targets ahead of him for his silly passes.

I agree.

He usually plays CM in a 442 for Iceland... more of a box to box role, and he doesn't do too badly. Can't be much worse at the moment. 1 defensive mid at home for me, then two infront. Gotta start risking it.
THE STOP PLAYING SIGGY ON THE WING THREAD on 15:06 - Apr 19 with 1611 viewsoldcob

THE STOP PLAYING SIGGY ON THE WING THREAD on 10:06 - Apr 19 by perchrockjack

You are right Perch. The team is playing with little or no shape at all. You can have eleven world beaters out there (which we haven't) and still have problems without shape. That is down to the manager.
THE STOP PLAYING SIGGY ON THE WING THREAD on 15:18 - Apr 19 with 1600 viewsTheResurrection

THE STOP PLAYING SIGGY ON THE WING THREAD on 12:40 - Apr 19 by jack247

It's surprising how few can see this. He isn't playing as a winger. How often do we see him take the full back on near the touchline and whip a cross in.

He just isn't compatible with Llorente, aside from at set pieces. We can't afford to drop either though, as we have next to no goal threat without them'.

I doubt he would be much more productive at #10'. He would do more chasing and closing down centre backs, but we would have to leave out a central midfielder. I don't think we have good enough wingers to justify getting overrun in the middle.

Before anyone says it, I know what we are doing now isn't working, I just don't think moving Siggy more centrally would help.

Jesus bloody wept did you just write that?

Of course everybody can see that. People aren't blind..

Regardless of his freer role we miss out on natural width and I'm not talking about Olsson overlapping cos he could still do that with a natural wide player in Siggy'p place

If we play him I like the idea of him moving into the midfield 3 as opposed to the upper 3. His snails like pace won't be a problem then.

Good thread for once.

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like
Poll: Is it time for the Trust to make change happen?

THE STOP PLAYING SIGGY ON THE WING THREAD on 15:57 - Apr 19 with 1558 viewsA_Fans_Dad

These days it is mostly Pace that wins games.
Without wingers we have very little pace other than Olsson, it is just not good enough.
THE STOP PLAYING SIGGY ON THE WING THREAD on 16:43 - Apr 19 with 1507 viewsjack247

THE STOP PLAYING SIGGY ON THE WING THREAD on 15:18 - Apr 19 by TheResurrection

Jesus bloody wept did you just write that?

Of course everybody can see that. People aren't blind..

Regardless of his freer role we miss out on natural width and I'm not talking about Olsson overlapping cos he could still do that with a natural wide player in Siggy'p place

If we play him I like the idea of him moving into the midfield 3 as opposed to the upper 3. His snails like pace won't be a problem then.

Good thread for once.

No. People can't see that. You may be able to, but plenty look at Sky Sports infographics and assume he is playing on the wing. Hence numerous threads like this.

The issue is whether we should sacrifice one of our midfield 3 for someone like Montero, or as you would prefer, drop Siggy for a natural winger.

How does Olsson overlap someone like Montero who never comes off his wing? Ayew there I could understand.
THE STOP PLAYING SIGGY ON THE WING THREAD on 17:15 - Apr 19 with 1475 viewsGriffting

THE STOP PLAYING SIGGY ON THE WING THREAD on 16:43 - Apr 19 by jack247

No. People can't see that. You may be able to, but plenty look at Sky Sports infographics and assume he is playing on the wing. Hence numerous threads like this.

The issue is whether we should sacrifice one of our midfield 3 for someone like Montero, or as you would prefer, drop Siggy for a natural winger.

How does Olsson overlap someone like Montero who never comes off his wing? Ayew there I could understand.

Fullbacks can run inside of a winger.. Davies used to do it often.
I do feel we miss the natural width with with siggy playing "wide left" but really he's just playing central. Carroll goes out there but isn't a winger and Olsson does his best, at times he's done it on his own out there to great effect, but I think a winger would help him out.
THE STOP PLAYING SIGGY ON THE WING THREAD on 17:50 - Apr 19 with 1437 viewsRancid

Wathans been championing this today and rightly so.Straight down the middle.His chances v Watford were once Llorente departed and Siggy went bang in the middle.

Lets do it.
THE STOP PLAYING SIGGY ON THE WING THREAD on 18:35 - Apr 19 with 1395 viewsTheResurrection

THE STOP PLAYING SIGGY ON THE WING THREAD on 17:50 - Apr 19 by Rancid

Wathans been championing this today and rightly so.Straight down the middle.His chances v Watford were once Llorente departed and Siggy went bang in the middle.

Lets do it.

Wathan is a kun and a total irrelevant.

Also not many in this thread championing Siggy at 10. If Llorente is to play then it will be like watching the Chuckle Brothers try to break Stoke down.

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like

THE STOP PLAYING SIGGY ON THE WING THREAD on 18:55 - Apr 19 with 1374 viewsE20Jack

THE STOP PLAYING SIGGY ON THE WING THREAD on 16:43 - Apr 19 by jack247

You are taking "on the wing" and "winger" and assuming they are one and the same. Wing just means wide in midern day football, like Andre Ayew. He was no winger but played out wide/wing. Any tom dick and harry can see he isnt playing as a winger in the true sense of the word but it is besides the point, him being out wide is like Jordan Ayew being center back. Pointless.

THE STOP PLAYING SIGGY ON THE WING THREAD on 19:23 - Apr 19 with 1347 viewsjack247

THE STOP PLAYING SIGGY ON THE WING THREAD on 18:55 - Apr 19 by E20Jack

You are taking "on the wing" and "winger" and assuming they are one and the same. Wing just means wide in midern day football, like Andre Ayew. He was no winger but played out wide/wing. Any tom dick and harry can see he isnt playing as a winger in the true sense of the word but it is besides the point, him being out wide is like Jordan Ayew being center back. Pointless.

He isn't really playing out wide. Yes he is there when we are defending or have possession deep in our own half, but he has a free role to more or less drift where he wants when we are attacking. Watch Carroll or whoever slot in for him when he does.

The role he is playing isn't much different to his previous one when we are attacking. What it does is gives us an extra central midfielder at the expense of a winger. The debate should be whether we need a winger, or the extra man in midfield, as Siggys role isn't much different until we lose possession.
THE STOP PLAYING SIGGY ON THE WING THREAD on 19:25 - Apr 19 with 1337 viewsRancid

THE STOP PLAYING SIGGY ON THE WING THREAD on 18:35 - Apr 19 by TheResurrection

Wathan is a kun and a total irrelevant.

Also not many in this thread championing Siggy at 10. If Llorente is to play then it will be like watching the Chuckle Brothers try to break Stoke down.

The Chuckles had more vision, Res
THE STOP PLAYING SIGGY ON THE WING THREAD on 19:39 - Apr 19 with 1316 viewsE20Jack

THE STOP PLAYING SIGGY ON THE WING THREAD on 19:23 - Apr 19 by jack247

He isn't really playing out wide. Yes he is there when we are defending or have possession deep in our own half, but he has a free role to more or less drift where he wants when we are attacking. Watch Carroll or whoever slot in for him when he does.

The role he is playing isn't much different to his previous one when we are attacking. What it does is gives us an extra central midfielder at the expense of a winger. The debate should be whether we need a winger, or the extra man in midfield, as Siggys role isn't much different until we lose possession.

I disagree, he is always out wide. Trying to play patterns with olsson. He also got the majority of our crosses in against Watford. He shouldnt be the one putting crosses in, he should either be in the box or looking to pick up scraps on the edge of it. He cant do either as he is stuck wide.

THE STOP PLAYING SIGGY ON THE WING THREAD on 19:44 - Apr 19 with 1306 viewsJango

People are protesting that we replace siggy out wide with one of our speedy wingers. I agree that siggy is better suited to a central role but what people seem to forget is that siggy has produced more from outwide this season than our 'pacy' wingers have produced between them in the last 4 seasons.
THE STOP PLAYING SIGGY ON THE WING THREAD on 19:53 - Apr 19 with 1304 viewsjack247

THE STOP PLAYING SIGGY ON THE WING THREAD on 19:39 - Apr 19 by E20Jack

I disagree, he is always out wide. Trying to play patterns with olsson. He also got the majority of our crosses in against Watford. He shouldnt be the one putting crosses in, he should either be in the box or looking to pick up scraps on the edge of it. He cant do either as he is stuck wide.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39536678

I make that 2 shots and a header from central areas, 1 from the right, 2 from range, none from the left of the box. Yes he is nominally there, but he drifts into central positions when we are attacking.
THE STOP PLAYING SIGGY ON THE WING THREAD on 20:20 - Apr 19 with 1276 viewsTheResurrection

THE STOP PLAYING SIGGY ON THE WING THREAD on 19:44 - Apr 19 by Jango

People are protesting that we replace siggy out wide with one of our speedy wingers. I agree that siggy is better suited to a central role but what people seem to forget is that siggy has produced more from outwide this season than our 'pacy' wingers have produced between them in the last 4 seasons.

Have you got some figures to back that up?

THE STOP PLAYING SIGGY ON THE WING THREAD on 20:25 - Apr 19 with 1269 viewsTheResurrection

THE STOP PLAYING SIGGY ON THE WING THREAD on 19:53 - Apr 19 by jack247

I make that 2 shots and a header from central areas, 1 from the right, 2 from range, none from the left of the box. Yes he is nominally there, but he drifts into central positions when we are attacking.

E20 is right. Yes he does drift and does have license but too often, far too often, Siggy is stuck out wide trying flicks and Hollywood passes that just aren't on and faffing them up.

You need an out and out wide operator to deal with those situations. It's a tricky, intricate role. There's no out ball on that side either.

Look, basically he's been shoehorned out there just to justify a position for him. It's the classic square peg.

And it's criminal we've not at least tried to do something about it. Even if Siggy had played false 9 in one of the games without Llorente, it could just have made all the difference.

THE STOP PLAYING SIGGY ON THE WING THREAD on 20:36 - Apr 19 with 1261 viewsE20Jack

THE STOP PLAYING SIGGY ON THE WING THREAD on 19:53 - Apr 19 by jack247

Of course he drifs centrally, he is traditionally a central midfield player. That doesn't make its ok though. Routledge on the other side doesn't drift inside centrally, that makes the whole attacking unit unbalanced simply because we are not paying a natural wide man in a wide position. Due to the hole left by Siggy when he drifts Olsson is then the cliche winger and our defensive shape is shot. Whenever the ball is down the left and we are screming for a ball to be payed in, 99 times out of 100 it is either Olsson or Siggy with the ball at their feet.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024