Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The demise of High street. 10:22 - May 25 with 3056 viewsperchrockjack

Anything sadder as regards our towns and cities.

Not just retail giants but small family businesses

While shop on line ,we kill our shops, we kill our High Street .

High Streets demise has ripped the guts out of our towns

Bloody sad to see

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

The demise of High street. on 10:57 - May 25 with 1792 viewsjojaca

Nothing last forever, not even cold November rain.

Even when you know, you never know?

The demise of High street. on 11:11 - May 25 with 1778 viewsperchrockjack

Two songs in one sentence

Our towns will be unrecognisable in ten years time and it wont be for the better

The demise of High street. on 11:18 - May 25 with 1769 viewsjack247

It's just the way we are progressing. As you say, the internet (along with retail parks) is killing city centres. I'm more concerned by the reduction in jobs that the aesthetics of it.

I'm as guilty as anyone, I rarely go to town to buy anything anymore, why would you?

Glad you seem to recognise that this isn't an exclusive Swansea problem now.
The demise of High street. on 11:21 - May 25 with 1762 viewsPegojack

Towns and cities have to move with the times. Turn unwanted retail premises into cafes, restaurants, even domestic accommodation if that's what is wanted in town centres to keep them alive.
The demise of High street. on 11:24 - May 25 with 1753 viewsblueytheblue

Queen Street here in Cardiff will soon have / has it's 4th Starbucks opened on it.

That's 4 coffee stores from the same chain... in the same street.

Fact is, nothing can be done. People don't want to trawl round 3-4 shops especially when food shopping. Want everything all in one place for the convenience. People also talk about supporting small high street stores but when push comes to shove, want lower prices online.

I can see a future where traditional high streets just become entertainment centres.

Poll: Alternate POTY final

The demise of High street. on 11:36 - May 25 with 1747 viewsperchrockjack

I see it as it is and comment thus

We live near a vibrant village but recently two pubs have closed and three restaurants failed and closed. A friend who started a deli has also closed. Mile away ,in West Kirby, things are bouncing. Affluent, heaving with high end small shops and also smart bistro type pubs all rammed . Lunch timer sees all cafes full even on a wet Monday.

I Birkenhead ,five miles away ,its a picture of doom and gloom and utter retail carnage

Over the water, Liverpool has lost a huge BHS and M and S could be on the closure list.

Without shops to visit or mooch around ,we wont have centres at all and will seemingly be in our houses on a fookn PC. I really don't want to se that.

Its not been just Swansea that s being affected. Its just the case I love it so much and its tough to see it as it is ,as Ive seen it magnificent ,so, looking at it from my perspective ,do you see why I get upset when I go back home. I'm not really bothered about areas outside where I live currently and Swansea , although this scenario is a bleak one for this island.

The demise of High street. on 11:39 - May 25 with 1738 viewsyescomeon

I think amazon are going to be opening high street stores soon. There'll be one of them on every high street I'm sure. Like a new age Argos.

Upthecity!

The demise of High street. on 11:52 - May 25 with 1722 viewsjack247

The demise of High street. on 11:36 - May 25 by perchrockjack

I see it as it is and comment thus

We live near a vibrant village but recently two pubs have closed and three restaurants failed and closed. A friend who started a deli has also closed. Mile away ,in West Kirby, things are bouncing. Affluent, heaving with high end small shops and also smart bistro type pubs all rammed . Lunch timer sees all cafes full even on a wet Monday.

I Birkenhead ,five miles away ,its a picture of doom and gloom and utter retail carnage

Over the water, Liverpool has lost a huge BHS and M and S could be on the closure list.

Without shops to visit or mooch around ,we wont have centres at all and will seemingly be in our houses on a fookn PC. I really don't want to se that.

Its not been just Swansea that s being affected. Its just the case I love it so much and its tough to see it as it is ,as Ive seen it magnificent ,so, looking at it from my perspective ,do you see why I get upset when I go back home. I'm not really bothered about areas outside where I live currently and Swansea , although this scenario is a bleak one for this island.

Get your last paragraph completely, however 'Swansea is suffering from the same city centre decay as nearly every other city in Britain' is not the drum you have been banging for the last couple of years.

I'm younger than you, I remember it 20 years ago when it was bustling. I wouldn't have ever classed it as magnificent, but maybe it was, before my time.

Not city centre, but have you been to Oyster Wharf yet? Although they are chain restaurants, the area which has always been comparatively affluent, but until recently looked old and worn out has been transformed completely. It looks like it's only going to get better with la Parilla and a few high end shops in the pipeline, as well as the pier regeneration. There is massive investment down there, as well as the improvements to High St.

With less demand for city centre shopping, I wouldn't be surprised to see smaller, more localised social hubs develop in cities like Swansea.
Login to get fewer ads

The demise of High street. on 12:00 - May 25 with 1710 viewsLord_Bony

Question. You need a washing machine. You know which one you want you have found deals for the same model.

One is in the local High St store priced £200.

One is online at £180 including delivery which you will recieve the following day.

Which one are you going to order?

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

The demise of High street. on 12:47 - May 25 with 1643 viewsjack2jack

The demise of High street. on 12:00 - May 25 by Lord_Bony

Question. You need a washing machine. You know which one you want you have found deals for the same model.

One is online at £180 including delivery which you will recieve the following day.

This is the problem, the answer is simple, we would all like to support our local High Street stores, but its a question of economics, unfortunately.
But the OP is dead right it is sad to see, however life evolves, this doesn't help all the dozens of private family run businesses, which are going to the wall on a daily basis.
The demise of High street. on 12:48 - May 25 with 1640 viewswaynekerr55

Does the local high street one deliver? When will it be recEIved? What budget does one have?

Although I get the point you're making my Lord!

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

The demise of High street. on 12:49 - May 25 with 1640 viewsswanjackal

Neither, get the mangle and washboard out, the wife has been slacking enough lately.
[Post edited 25 May 2017 12:50]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

The demise of High street. on 12:51 - May 25 with 1625 viewswaynekerr55

The demise of High street. on 11:52 - May 25 by jack247

Get your last paragraph completely, however 'Swansea is suffering from the same city centre decay as nearly every other city in Britain' is not the drum you have been banging for the last couple of years.

I'm younger than you, I remember it 20 years ago when it was bustling. I wouldn't have ever classed it as magnificent, but maybe it was, before my time.

Not city centre, but have you been to Oyster Wharf yet? Although they are chain restaurants, the area which has always been comparatively affluent, but until recently looked old and worn out has been transformed completely. It looks like it's only going to get better with la Parilla and a few high end shops in the pipeline, as well as the pier regeneration. There is massive investment down there, as well as the improvements to High St.

With less demand for city centre shopping, I wouldn't be surprised to see smaller, more localised social hubs develop in cities like Swansea.

La Parilla? Over priced Steak and Chips mun

The demise of High street. on 13:08 - May 25 with 1600 viewsjack247

The demise of High street. on 12:51 - May 25 by waynekerr55

La Parilla? Over priced Steak and Chips mun

£15 for a starter and a main mate. You'd pay that in steak by night!
The demise of High street. on 13:37 - May 25 with 1550 viewsdickythorpe

The roads can't cope with the ever increasing amount of transport.
Car parks are poor.
Running costs of a car to visit traditional High Street areas just arent worth it.
Public transport is poor.
Queues are a problem, poor till systems, disinterested staff with no product knowledge or pride at the check outs are a real bane to those that do care.
Minimum wage has caused feck with small businesses.
Health and safety law can be an issue.

No wonder people shop online.
The demise of High street. on 13:54 - May 25 with 1530 viewsjack2jack

The demise of High street. on 13:37 - May 25 by dickythorpe

The roads can't cope with the ever increasing amount of transport.
Car parks are poor.
Running costs of a car to visit traditional High Street areas just arent worth it.
Public transport is poor.
Queues are a problem, poor till systems, disinterested staff with no product knowledge or pride at the check outs are a real bane to those that do care.
Minimum wage has caused feck with small businesses.
Health and safety law can be an issue.

No wonder people shop online.

Cant argue with any of that, add to all those things, higher cost of products, and its a recipe for disaster.
The demise of High street. on 14:13 - May 25 with 1509 viewswaynekerr55

The demise of High street. on 13:08 - May 25 by jack247

£15 for a starter and a main mate. You'd pay that in steak by night!

Are you talking lunch menu? If so, I agree it's great. Night time however...

The demise of High street. on 14:15 - May 25 with 1507 viewsLord_Bony

The demise of High street. on 12:48 - May 25 by waynekerr55

Does the local high street one deliver? When will it be recEIved? What budget does one have?

Although I get the point you're making my Lord!

I shall be phoning them later regarding your enquiry.

I will then post the results on here for all to see Wayne.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

The demise of High street. on 15:51 - May 25 with 1454 viewsjack247

The demise of High street. on 14:13 - May 25 by waynekerr55

Are you talking lunch menu? If so, I agree it's great. Night time however...

Nah, it's £14.95 in the evenings I think. Only in the week though, more expensive Fridays and Saturdays. Either way, I doubt I'll be going to the Oyster Wharf one, 3 banging restaurants across the road all with unspoilt (apart from the steelworks) elevated views over the bay. I think it's going in where the old post office was, so no view.
The demise of High street. on 15:54 - May 25 with 1449 viewswaynekerr55

The demise of High street. on 15:51 - May 25 by jack247

Nah, it's £14.95 in the evenings I think. Only in the week though, more expensive Fridays and Saturdays. Either way, I doubt I'll be going to the Oyster Wharf one, 3 banging restaurants across the road all with unspoilt (apart from the steelworks) elevated views over the bay. I think it's going in where the old post office was, so no view.

At that price even a grumpy cynic like me would struggle to complain. Where is this development going to be?

The demise of High street. on 16:04 - May 25 with 1442 viewsperchrockjack

I've been slagged off summat wicked on here but " bang the drum" ...id punch you full on the mouth if you were facing me right now.

I have a rather neat Djemba which one plays not bang

Banging a drum is what some dick does at a football match to pump up the volume

Banging the drum ,gang. , ! Worthy of our indignation

The demise of High street. on 16:08 - May 25 with 1437 viewsLeonWasGod

Plenty of traffic at the out of town shopping places in Llansamlet and Fforest Fach. If the money spent on those had been spent on the City Centre we'd have a larger, thriving Centre by now.

We reap what we sow.
The demise of High street. on 16:10 - May 25 with 1435 viewsjack247

The demise of High street. on 15:54 - May 25 by waynekerr55

At that price even a grumpy cynic like me would struggle to complain. Where is this development going to be?

Oyster Wharf in Mumbles. It's where the Tivoli, CJs etc used to be.

The three prime location restaurants are already there - Bistrot Pierre, Prezzo and Croeso Lounge. All have upstairs restaurants and downstairs bars. Nice pavement cafe vibe going on, although that's only going to last as long as the weather does.

The shops aren't there yet. I may be wrong but think La Parilla is going in the post office, which is behind and across the road from the other three.

http://oysterwharfmumbles.com
The demise of High street. on 16:14 - May 25 with 1430 viewsmonmouth

It's not what happens to the old model, that's pretty much unstoppable, it's having the imagination for what replaces them. At the moment that seems to start and stop with boarding them up.

Not that I have any bright ideas mind, but some planning c**t should. That's what they are paid for.

Ps. High street has always been pretty much crap in my memory, even when it had Top Woolworths.
[Post edited 25 May 2017 16:17]

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

The demise of High street. on 16:16 - May 25 with 1422 viewsLeonWasGod

The demise of High street. on 16:14 - May 25 by monmouth

It's not what happens to the old model, that's pretty much unstoppable, it's having the imagination for what replaces them. At the moment that seems to start and stop with boarding them up.

Not that I have any bright ideas mind, but some planning c**t should. That's what they are paid for.

Ps. High street has always been pretty much crap in my memory, even when it had Top Woolworths.
[Post edited 25 May 2017 16:17]

Charity shops and Poundland sounds like a plan
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024