Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swansea City's greatest ever player 17:26 - May 28 with 8142 viewsSPboy

It's official voted for by the fans

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/your-greatest-ever-swansea-city-1310

Swansea City's greatest ever player on 17:40 - May 28 with 6449 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Embarrassing.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Swansea City's greatest ever player on 17:44 - May 28 with 6443 viewsmax936

There's been so many over our history, buts got to be Leon for his efforts over the last 10yrs or so, it's not even close for me.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Swansea City's greatest ever player on 17:47 - May 28 with 6430 viewsScotia

Lee Trundle! What a joke.

I can only vaguely remember Curt and Robbie in their prime because that's about the time I was old enough to go to the vetch, I'd vote Leon.
Swansea City's greatest ever player on 17:49 - May 28 with 6422 viewsperchrockjack

Not really surprising .

Depends who was asked, like all surveys.

Frankly, we ve got fans who have no fookn clue as to our history evidenced by Siggy being chosen number 1. FFS

Pretty sure if you asked Geordies who s their greatest ever player, they d chose Jackie Milburn or possibly Shearer, because they were GREAT

Leon is our greatest SERVANT ,Nobody comes close.

Greatest player...Ivor.

I like Siggy but really and truly ,its rather embarrassing ,as has been said.

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Swansea City's greatest ever player on 17:51 - May 28 with 6420 viewsjack247

Slightly skewed in that the majority who voted in that probably would only have seen Gylfi, Leon and Ash play. Trunds at a push. I've been going 20-odd years and I've only seen those 4 and Roger.
Swansea City's greatest ever player on 17:53 - May 28 with 6411 viewsexiledclaseboy

Load of old nonsense.

Poll: Tory leader

Swansea City's greatest ever player on 17:53 - May 28 with 6411 viewsNeathJack

Swansea City's greatest ever player on 17:51 - May 28 by jack247

Slightly skewed in that the majority who voted in that probably would only have seen Gylfi, Leon and Ash play. Trunds at a push. I've been going 20-odd years and I've only seen those 4 and Roger.

Exactly.

It's pretty difficult to vote for someone you've never seen play.
Swansea City's greatest ever player on 17:53 - May 28 with 6407 viewsperchrockjack

Living proof youth is wasted on the young.
They really do know fook all

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Login to get fewer ads

Swansea City's greatest ever player on 17:56 - May 28 with 6396 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Swansea City's greatest ever player on 17:49 - May 28 by perchrockjack

Not really surprising .

Depends who was asked, like all surveys.

Frankly, we ve got fans who have no fookn clue as to our history evidenced by Siggy being chosen number 1. FFS

Pretty sure if you asked Geordies who s their greatest ever player, they d chose Jackie Milburn or possibly Shearer, because they were GREAT

Leon is our greatest SERVANT ,Nobody comes close.

Greatest player...Ivor.

I like Siggy but really and truly ,its rather embarrassing ,as has been said.

I wholeheartedly agree about the embarrassing part but would put Robbie a whisker above Ivor .

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Swansea City's greatest ever player on 17:59 - May 28 with 6383 viewsjack247

Swansea City's greatest ever player on 17:53 - May 28 by perchrockjack

Living proof youth is wasted on the young.
They really do know fook all

Can you really expect a 20 year old to vote for someone who played in the 50's and 60's though?
Swansea City's greatest ever player on 18:03 - May 28 with 6365 viewsStarsky

Why are you all embarrassed ?

It's the Wales on Line survey.

They probably didn't ask anyone over 30 years old.

Means nothing.
[Post edited 28 May 2017 18:03]

It's just the internet, init.

Swansea City's greatest ever player on 18:37 - May 28 with 6302 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Swansea City's greatest ever player on 17:59 - May 28 by jack247

Can you really expect a 20 year old to vote for someone who played in the 50's and 60's though?

No, of course not. It should have been titled "who is your favourite Swnsea player than who was the greatest. Different eras and all that. But to place Trunds, Britton and Gylfi above Ivor and Robbie is plain nuts to someone of my age.

Swansea City's greatest ever player on 18:52 - May 28 with 6261 viewsswancity

Very surprised that some of the Kenny Jackett signings like Darren Way, Kevin Amankwaah, Pawel Abbott and Ijah Anderson didn't make the list.

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Swansea City's greatest ever player on 18:52 - May 28 with 6259 viewsFireboy

I don't remember ivor as I started watching in 77 but I still voted for him as I've listened to alot of people i know and dont know who I respect and take their opinions into consideration

He was a legend for his obvious skill as a player,his humility as a man and his loyalty to his hometown club

I think a clue to how big of a legend he is to the club is the statue outside the liberty

Robbie and Curt came a very very close tied second,they also had/have the same qualities
Swansea City's greatest ever player on 19:14 - May 28 with 6226 viewsjack247

Swansea City's greatest ever player on 18:37 - May 28 by Brynmill_Jack

No, of course not. It should have been titled "who is your favourite Swnsea player than who was the greatest. Different eras and all that. But to place Trunds, Britton and Gylfi above Ivor and Robbie is plain nuts to someone of my age.

Very difficult comparing eras. Most of the people on that list played against the best in Britain. The current crop have been up against some of the best players in the world.

I wouldn't vote for someone I'd never seen play. Looks like a lot of people have though.
Swansea City's greatest ever player on 20:13 - May 28 with 6165 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Swansea City's greatest ever player on 18:52 - May 28 by Fireboy

I don't remember ivor as I started watching in 77 but I still voted for him as I've listened to alot of people i know and dont know who I respect and take their opinions into consideration

He was a legend for his obvious skill as a player,his humility as a man and his loyalty to his hometown club

I think a clue to how big of a legend he is to the club is the statue outside the liberty

Robbie and Curt came a very very close tied second,they also had/have the same qualities

The goal Ivor scored against Hungary in the 1958 world cup was as impressive if not more so than the goal Marco Van Basten scored for Holland in the Euros one year.
He was lauded by some of the biggest names in British football including Bobby Moore, Bobby Charlton and Sir Matt Busby. That's quite a fan club there!

Swansea City's greatest ever player on 20:20 - May 28 with 6149 viewsFireboy

Swansea City's greatest ever player on 20:13 - May 28 by Brynmill_Jack

The goal Ivor scored against Hungary in the 1958 world cup was as impressive if not more so than the goal Marco Van Basten scored for Holland in the Euros one year.
He was lauded by some of the biggest names in British football including Bobby Moore, Bobby Charlton and Sir Matt Busby. That's quite a fan club there!

And the way he was lauded by his fellow professionals is one of the reasons I voted for him BJ
Swansea City's greatest ever player on 20:31 - May 28 with 6142 viewsSPboy

I am not sure what some of you mean by embarrassing??

Ivor - not old enough to pass comment on him

Curtis - fantastic smooth skills. Scored a lot of goals in the old Div 4, 3, 2, then left us for Leeds. Never really cut it there & got a bit homesick. Returned to us & did ok but struggled to impose himself in the old Div 1. We were relegated after 2 seasons in the top league then off he went again, peaked with us

Robbie - fantastic powerhouse of a man & an incredible work rate & goalscorer for a mid-fielder. Made his name for us like Curt in the lower divisions and more than held his own in the old Div 1 with the best in the country

Leon - what can we say - genius with the ball at his feet & great skills. A true great in every league that he has graced for US. Looked very ordinary at Sheff Utd as he watched the ball overhead continually by-pass him. Loved by us but not always recognised outside of Swansea for his skillset

Siggy - has pulled it off for us for over 3 seasons. Consistently our best goal creator & scorer and one of the few players in our squad coveted by clubs above us. It seems that 2 or 3 names on this forum are trying to discredit him for petty points scoring purposes. Take off the old glasses and enjoy him while he is still wearing our shirt ffs. One of our finest in the toughest league - has more than held his own in a league with some of the best players in the world
Swansea City's greatest ever player on 20:34 - May 28 with 6124 viewsvetchonian

Swansea City's greatest ever player on 18:03 - May 28 by Starsky

Why are you all embarrassed ?

It's the Wales on Line survey.

They probably didn't ask anyone over 30 years old.

Means nothing.
[Post edited 28 May 2017 18:03]

As its Wales on line I expect it's only thoseotes with a CF postcode were considered.

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

Swansea City's greatest ever player on 20:44 - May 28 with 6085 viewsDarran

Swansea City's greatest ever player on 20:34 - May 28 by vetchonian

As its Wales on line I expect it's only thoseotes with a CF postcode were considered.

It's the Evening Post mate they're now under Wales online.
Just saying.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Swansea City's greatest ever player on 20:49 - May 28 with 6079 viewsvetchonian

Swansea City's greatest ever player on 20:44 - May 28 by Darran

It's the Evening Post mate they're now under Wales online.
Just saying.

I know that Dar but in reality the Evening Post has been swallowed up by the Mirror and the Western Fail.....editorial control is now in scumland...

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

Swansea City's greatest ever player on 20:51 - May 28 with 6067 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Swansea City's greatest ever player on 20:31 - May 28 by SPboy

I am not sure what some of you mean by embarrassing??

Ivor - not old enough to pass comment on him

Curtis - fantastic smooth skills. Scored a lot of goals in the old Div 4, 3, 2, then left us for Leeds. Never really cut it there & got a bit homesick. Returned to us & did ok but struggled to impose himself in the old Div 1. We were relegated after 2 seasons in the top league then off he went again, peaked with us

Robbie - fantastic powerhouse of a man & an incredible work rate & goalscorer for a mid-fielder. Made his name for us like Curt in the lower divisions and more than held his own in the old Div 1 with the best in the country

Leon - what can we say - genius with the ball at his feet & great skills. A true great in every league that he has graced for US. Looked very ordinary at Sheff Utd as he watched the ball overhead continually by-pass him. Loved by us but not always recognised outside of Swansea for his skillset

Siggy - has pulled it off for us for over 3 seasons. Consistently our best goal creator & scorer and one of the few players in our squad coveted by clubs above us. It seems that 2 or 3 names on this forum are trying to discredit him for petty points scoring purposes. Take off the old glasses and enjoy him while he is still wearing our shirt ffs. One of our finest in the toughest league - has more than held his own in a league with some of the best players in the world

Disagree . He's looked a class player among a promoted team (in his first spell with us ) which was a good unit , more than the sum of it's parts. These last two seasons he's stod out because of a similar lack of good quality players surrounding him.

He's a good player who lacks a little pace and physicality but has a good eye for a pass and a fantastic set piece taker and hass more than his fair share of goals and assists.

However I don't think he can be judged to be compared among the top world class players in the PL at the moment. He shouldn't be mentioned in the same bracket as the Agueros, Mhikitaryans , Coutinhos etc etc because if we are all honest he isn't at that level. If he was he wouldn't be here !

The difference with Ivor was that the top players and managers of the day WERE comparing him to the top bracket at that particular time.

It's a very difficult thing to quantify like I said though, different eras etc etc.

Swansea City's greatest ever player on 22:32 - May 28 with 5976 viewsSPboy

Swansea City's greatest ever player on 20:51 - May 28 by Brynmill_Jack

Disagree . He's looked a class player among a promoted team (in his first spell with us ) which was a good unit , more than the sum of it's parts. These last two seasons he's stod out because of a similar lack of good quality players surrounding him.

He's a good player who lacks a little pace and physicality but has a good eye for a pass and a fantastic set piece taker and hass more than his fair share of goals and assists.

However I don't think he can be judged to be compared among the top world class players in the PL at the moment. He shouldn't be mentioned in the same bracket as the Agueros, Mhikitaryans , Coutinhos etc etc because if we are all honest he isn't at that level. If he was he wouldn't be here !

The difference with Ivor was that the top players and managers of the day WERE comparing him to the top bracket at that particular time.

It's a very difficult thing to quantify like I said though, different eras etc etc.

He looked class in a promoted team, still makes classy passes, still scores classy goals, could it be because he is class?

Time will tell how good Mhiikitaryan is if he actually gets to play regularly. Aguero is an out-and-out striker not sure why you try to make that comparison?

Yes Siggy may lack a little pace and maybe a bit of physical presence and that's maybe why he is playing for us. However he is up there with the Swansea 'greats' even based on his achievements so far. He has done it for is in the PL for us consistently.

It is difficult to agree across different eras but in a comparison against other Swansea players of bygone times his record is up there and more impressive than most of those on that list. So why is the fact that 32% of people that voted for him embarrassing?? What's embarrassing about it ?
Swansea City's greatest ever player on 23:32 - May 28 with 5920 viewsrock1n

Lets's be fair it's Walesonline, trampie reads that sort of sh1te.

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter

Swansea City's greatest ever player on 01:26 - May 29 with 5859 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Swansea City's greatest ever player on 22:32 - May 28 by SPboy

He looked class in a promoted team, still makes classy passes, still scores classy goals, could it be because he is class?

Time will tell how good Mhiikitaryan is if he actually gets to play regularly. Aguero is an out-and-out striker not sure why you try to make that comparison?

Yes Siggy may lack a little pace and maybe a bit of physical presence and that's maybe why he is playing for us. However he is up there with the Swansea 'greats' even based on his achievements so far. He has done it for is in the PL for us consistently.

It is difficult to agree across different eras but in a comparison against other Swansea players of bygone times his record is up there and more impressive than most of those on that list. So why is the fact that 32% of people that voted for him embarrassing?? What's embarrassing about it ?

Semantics. When I mentioned the likes of Aguero I meant it in a more general sense of ability and general impact who you seem to regard as world class players, I'm sure you didn't mention that in context of any particular position????

It's embarrassing because bonafide Swansea legends like James and Allchurch and played more than three seasons. And both had a better allround game than Siggy

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024