Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brexit, cause & effect, and the laws of the - economic - universe: 10:10 - Jun 3 with 1376 viewsShaky

UK comes bottom of G7 growth league as Canada takes lead
It’s taken a year, but as Britain’s economy slumps and inflation bites, the warnings about the costs of our vote to leave the EU are coming true

By Nesrine Malik

Just because the world didn’t change on 24 June 2016 doesn’t mean that it was never going to change. The time-lag between cause and effect is a cornerstone of economic behaviour. This basic dynamic takes into consideration the notion, observable over decades of analysis, that shocks rarely impact economies — particularly sophisticated ones — overnight. The Brexit time-lag has just ended.

Before last year’s referendum, the UK looked set to deliver a strong, consistent economic performance. Leaving the European Union seemed an act of economic jeopardy, but the remain campaign’s warnings of meltdown did not come to pass. Even by the end of last year, six months after the Brexit vote, it looked as if the doomsayers had been proved wrong, with the UK economy the fastest growing in the G7 in 2016.

The weakness of the pound only seemed to inflict mild annoyance for those whose holidays had suddenly become more expensive. And besides, the leavers argued, our currency would bounce back at some point. Even the ratings agencies and the scaremonger-in-chief — the Bank of England — seemed to have called it incorrectly.

But the triumphalism and complacency of the Brexiters since then is a testament to how illiterate, politicised and pseudo-intellectual the whole discussion on economic impact has become. If I had a pound for every time a Brexit supporter confidently opined that a weak sterling will bolster UK exporters, despite it also increasing their costs, I would have … well, they would be worth a lot less than this time last year. It’s almost as if the fact that we woke up the day after the referendum to find that there was still money in the cashpoints was proof enough that it was all going to be OK. The experts were wrong!

But that’s not how it works. And the consistent depression of the pound should have been our guide. You see, currencies are the exception to the time-lag rule, because they are more sensitive and dynamic in times of economic uncertainty. The fuse of currency depreciation had been lit, and was quietly making its way towards the tinderbox of rising inflation, higher household debt and increased pressure on spending power.

The average household is now spending an additional £21 a quarter on groceries compared with last year. That may not seem a huge amount, but with inflation on the up that could mean an extra £119 over the course of this year. Airfares, package holidays and energy bills are all rising while wages remain the same.

Last month unions accused the government of ignoring the plight of ordinary workers as life becomes more expensive. The TUC general secretary, Frances O’Grady, warned of a “living standards crisis”.

The economy question seems to have dropped out of the debate because it has been so debased by Brexit evangelists

And yet these significant and worrying developments have barely registered either in public debate or, indeed, in the election the country is holding that was meant to put to bed any Brexit-related uncertainty. The whole messy economic aspect has been conveniently folded under the deferred resolution of a final agreement — as if these are all merely wrinkles that will be smoothed out during negotiations once a final deal has been secured.

How did we let this happen? The economy question seems to have dropped out of the debate because it has been so debased by Brexit evangelists, backed by their cheerleaders in the press, treating any expressions of concern like sabotage. We have gone from “there will be no impact, don’t talk Britain down” to “if there is, it’s worth it”, making a martyr’s virtue of absorbing economic shocks for some greater ultimate good.

Of course, economies are unpredictable, and a pattern does not make a trend, but today these are the new, inescapable facts: the United Kingdom has not fallen below fourth place in the list of G7 economic growth since the financial crisis of 2007-8 and it is now last; UK house prices have fallen for a third month in a row, also for the first time since the financial crisis; and the pound is at its lowest point for about 30 years.

The past 12 months have undermined our ability to have any rational discussion about the economy because Brexit is now an ideology where there are only comrades and traitors. Populist pandering politicians have rendered any honest appraisal of fact as partisan.

A slowing economic performance is hitting the British people in almost every part of their lives, impacting property values, energy bills, food prices, and the pay packet they take home.

Burying heads in the sand and treating any examination of the possibility that a Brexit effect might already be upon us as treason is nothing short of a dereliction of duty. Those who know what damage our EU exit is still likely to cause have to start speaking up.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jun/02/brexit-scaremongers-proved-

Misology -- It's a bitch
Poll: Greatest PS Troll Hunter of all time

Brexit, cause & effect, and the laws of the - economic - universe: on 10:16 - Jun 3 with 1082 viewsJango

Wasn't it always gonna be a case of it being a rough ride to begin with? We are not gonna know the long term impact of brexit until we've actually left and done whatever deals necessary.
Brexit, cause & effect, and the laws of the - economic - universe: on 10:20 - Jun 3 with 1075 viewsWarwickHunt

Brexit, cause & effect, and the laws of the - economic - universe: on 10:16 - Jun 3 by Jango

Wasn't it always gonna be a case of it being a rough ride to begin with? We are not gonna know the long term impact of brexit until we've actually left and done whatever deals necessary.

A bit like jumping off a cliff and not knowing how much it's going to hurt until you reach the bottom...
Brexit, cause & effect, and the laws of the - economic - universe: on 10:27 - Jun 3 with 1061 viewsJango

Brexit, cause & effect, and the laws of the - economic - universe: on 10:20 - Jun 3 by WarwickHunt

A bit like jumping off a cliff and not knowing how much it's going to hurt until you reach the bottom...

I just don't think this ' I told you so ' that seems to be coming from a lot of people, has any substance until we've actually left and given it some time.
Brexit, cause & effect, and the laws of the - economic - universe: on 10:29 - Jun 3 with 1058 viewsWarwickHunt

Brexit, cause & effect, and the laws of the - economic - universe: on 10:27 - Jun 3 by Jango

I just don't think this ' I told you so ' that seems to be coming from a lot of people, has any substance until we've actually left and given it some time.

OK. i'll wait...
Brexit, cause & effect, and the laws of the - economic - universe: on 10:34 - Jun 3 with 1042 viewsPozuelosSideys

What a dreadful article, one which the author will probably be glad will be forgotten about in a couple of weeks.

They are guessing. Standing on their soapbox, waving their finger at everyone saying "i told you so", when the reality is we are at the beginning of a marathon and yet to even cross the start line, let alone the finish line.

Fcking utter toss written in the Guardian as per usual. Cherrypicking statistics is never a good sign, although it helps fit the agenda. Particularly spot stats.

Throw away article. Shaky usually makes far better points than that rubbish, and i dont even agree with most he says.

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Brexit, cause & effect, and the laws of the - economic - universe: on 10:40 - Jun 3 with 1027 viewssherpajacob

By a,telegraph journalist yesterday. Showing what a,complete mess of contradictions the whole thing is.

It's already been pointed out by Clarke, heseltine, major, Blair and many others.

"Yesterday, the Prime Minister was at a company in Cleveland, giving a speech about Brexit. She presented two alternative visions. If she remained Prime Minister, she explained, Brexit offered “a bright future” (for emphasis, these words were emblazoned on the board behind her, in sunny yellow).
If Jeremy Corbyn became Prime Minister, however, Brexit was bound to go wrong. “Our economic prosperity will suffer,” she scowled. “Jobs will be put at risk … We won’t have the financial means to fund the public services we rely on …”
Sounded worrying. And, according to Mrs May, a Corbyn victory next week is not impossible. So, aboard the Tory battle bus afterwards, I attempted to follow the Prime Minister’s logic.
If a Corbyn-led Brexit is guaranteed to be an economic nightmare, I asked her, would the Tories in Opposition seek to overturn the referendum result, to prevent this disaster?
“The referendum result should be respected,” said Mrs May.
Right. But if a Corbyn-led Brexit was going to ruin the country — as she’s telling us it will — wouldn’t she feel a duty, in the national interest, to try to prevent it?
“I’m not going to predict the election result,” said Mrs May. “I’m working for the campaign until election day. But I do believe there’s an important issue about trust in politicians. People gave their choice.”
So even though she’s telling us that under Prime Minister Corbyn, Brexit will mean job losses, economic damage and no money for public services, she wouldn’t do anything to stop it?"

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Brexit, cause & effect, and the laws of the - economic - universe: on 10:52 - Jun 3 with 1012 viewsmonmouth

Sherps, how can anyone be surprised. This is the c*nt who has said both 'we will be more prosperous in the eu' and 'we will be more prosperous outside the eu' within 12 months just for personal gain.

And then talks about trust. Jesus.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Brexit, cause & effect, and the laws of the - economic - universe: on 11:44 - Jun 3 with 965 viewsHighjack

The rules of remain: if it's bad news - it's because of Brexit.

If it's good news - it's because we haven't left the EU yet, but when we do literally everything will be terrible forever.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Login to get fewer ads

Brexit, cause & effect, and the laws of the - economic - universe: on 11:49 - Jun 3 with 954 viewsrock1n

Brexit people for the umpteenth time:

What are the benefits of brexit?

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter

Brexit, cause & effect, and the laws of the - economic - universe: on 11:53 - Jun 3 with 946 viewsrock1n

Brexit, cause & effect, and the laws of the - economic - universe: on 10:40 - Jun 3 by sherpajacob

By a,telegraph journalist yesterday. Showing what a,complete mess of contradictions the whole thing is.

It's already been pointed out by Clarke, heseltine, major, Blair and many others.

"Yesterday, the Prime Minister was at a company in Cleveland, giving a speech about Brexit. She presented two alternative visions. If she remained Prime Minister, she explained, Brexit offered “a bright future” (for emphasis, these words were emblazoned on the board behind her, in sunny yellow).
If Jeremy Corbyn became Prime Minister, however, Brexit was bound to go wrong. “Our economic prosperity will suffer,” she scowled. “Jobs will be put at risk … We won’t have the financial means to fund the public services we rely on …”
Sounded worrying. And, according to Mrs May, a Corbyn victory next week is not impossible. So, aboard the Tory battle bus afterwards, I attempted to follow the Prime Minister’s logic.
If a Corbyn-led Brexit is guaranteed to be an economic nightmare, I asked her, would the Tories in Opposition seek to overturn the referendum result, to prevent this disaster?
“The referendum result should be respected,” said Mrs May.
Right. But if a Corbyn-led Brexit was going to ruin the country — as she’s telling us it will — wouldn’t she feel a duty, in the national interest, to try to prevent it?
“I’m not going to predict the election result,” said Mrs May. “I’m working for the campaign until election day. But I do believe there’s an important issue about trust in politicians. People gave their choice.”
So even though she’s telling us that under Prime Minister Corbyn, Brexit will mean job losses, economic damage and no money for public services, she wouldn’t do anything to stop it?"

cognitive dissonance has never felt more apt, than with brexit

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter

Brexit, cause & effect, and the laws of the - economic - universe: on 12:05 - Jun 3 with 937 viewsPozuelosSideys

Brexit, cause & effect, and the laws of the - economic - universe: on 11:49 - Jun 3 by rock1n

Brexit people for the umpteenth time:

What are the benefits of brexit?

Off the top of my head:

OUR POLITICIANS WILL BE, AND REMAIN ACCOUNTABLE!

Smaller class sizes

Limited impact on public services - transport, NHS, welfare etc etc

Limited inflow of cheap labour = higher wages (youd hope right?!)

Lower unemployment amongst UK population due to migration - this is
complicated, but its easier and cheaper for businesses to hire from their non-UK entities and assignee them than to hire UK employees

Lower house prices (already being seen)

Ability to force corp tax to be paid in the UK rather than it being offshored to the likes of Dublin and Lux

Potential ability to siphon off and compete for trade against EU countries moreso than now - we can undercut

We will be able to vote in and more importantly, vote out politicians going forward - something we wouldnt have been able to do within the decade

For me though - we can manage our own affairs. Thats important. Why should Greek politicians have an influence over the UK? Just as why should the UK have influence over say, Romania?

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."

Brexit, cause & effect, and the laws of the - economic - universe: on 12:37 - Jun 3 with 915 viewsrock1n

Brexit, cause & effect, and the laws of the - economic - universe: on 12:05 - Jun 3 by PozuelosSideys

Off the top of my head:

OUR POLITICIANS WILL BE, AND REMAIN ACCOUNTABLE!

Smaller class sizes

Limited impact on public services - transport, NHS, welfare etc etc

Limited inflow of cheap labour = higher wages (youd hope right?!)

Lower unemployment amongst UK population due to migration - this is
complicated, but its easier and cheaper for businesses to hire from their non-UK entities and assignee them than to hire UK employees

Lower house prices (already being seen)

Ability to force corp tax to be paid in the UK rather than it being offshored to the likes of Dublin and Lux

Potential ability to siphon off and compete for trade against EU countries moreso than now - we can undercut

We will be able to vote in and more importantly, vote out politicians going forward - something we wouldnt have been able to do within the decade

For me though - we can manage our own affairs. Thats important. Why should Greek politicians have an influence over the UK? Just as why should the UK have influence over say, Romania?

Smaller class sizes? What

I'll take all immigration points in one:

EU migration has been a NET benefit to this Country, the immigrants tend to be younger, mobile and pay far more in than they take out. Non-EU migrants are more of a drain. Also this isn't going to fall, they kidded you - it will still be high in 5 years they used people.

Lower House Prices? For a start that's debatable whether that's a good thing, putting lots of people in negative equity and I don't really get how that's to do with EU

CT tax? By leaving EU it's far more likely that businesses will offshore operations because of single market conditions. You're not going to stop that by leaving EU unless we become a tax haven, which will only benefit some.

Undercut, what exactly do you mean by that? If we becoming more protectionist we'll have a trade War, which will not benefit one iota and does that means lower wages and conditions? Again not benefiting those that voted for brexit.

We do vote in EU representatives, in fact it's far more proportional than the UK Parliament. Should we elect the Royals and the head of the Civil Service in this Country?

Mutual benefit, if you have good working relations with Countries across Europe it creates greater ease of doing business, greater freedoms, greater benefits in for example education, healthcare, freedom to live and work.

We have never given a Parliament more Executive power, than we have now. Our lives for decades to come are in the hands of Theresa May, Boris Johnson, David Davis, Liam Fox and some Civil Servants we know nothing about. No details, no idea what they're negotiating we've literally signed our lives away and lost our EU freedoms.

I was planning on potentially working in the EU that's going to be much more difficult now. Thanks.

Brexit, cause & effect, and the laws of the - economic - universe: on 12:55 - Jun 3 with 903 viewsPozuelosSideys

Brexit, cause & effect, and the laws of the - economic - universe: on 12:37 - Jun 3 by rock1n

Smaller class sizes? What

I'll take all immigration points in one:

EU migration has been a NET benefit to this Country, the immigrants tend to be younger, mobile and pay far more in than they take out. Non-EU migrants are more of a drain. Also this isn't going to fall, they kidded you - it will still be high in 5 years they used people.

Lower House Prices? For a start that's debatable whether that's a good thing, putting lots of people in negative equity and I don't really get how that's to do with EU

CT tax? By leaving EU it's far more likely that businesses will offshore operations because of single market conditions. You're not going to stop that by leaving EU unless we become a tax haven, which will only benefit some.

Undercut, what exactly do you mean by that? If we becoming more protectionist we'll have a trade War, which will not benefit one iota and does that means lower wages and conditions? Again not benefiting those that voted for brexit.

We do vote in EU representatives, in fact it's far more proportional than the UK Parliament. Should we elect the Royals and the head of the Civil Service in this Country?

Mutual benefit, if you have good working relations with Countries across Europe it creates greater ease of doing business, greater freedoms, greater benefits in for example education, healthcare, freedom to live and work.

We have never given a Parliament more Executive power, than we have now. Our lives for decades to come are in the hands of Theresa May, Boris Johnson, David Davis, Liam Fox and some Civil Servants we know nothing about. No details, no idea what they're negotiating we've literally signed our lives away and lost our EU freedoms.

I was planning on potentially working in the EU that's going to be much more difficult now. Thanks.

Wow, there are an awful lot of assumptions and generalisations there in relation to migration. This net benefit you talk about is financial. The underlying cost impact which is not accounted for is huge - ie services etc. Non-EU migrants also pay a fhuckton of cash to get that visa YoY too. Plus many take advantage of EU rules

Smaller class sizes? You not have kids then i assume?

Houseprices - supply and demand chum. There needs to be a market correction. Houses are for living, not for profit.

Tax? Offshoring? Really? How about we hold our politicians to account and force some rule changes? How about we become competitive with the likes of Dublin and Lux tax havens and take their businesses off them instead?

Accountability and transparency is everything, but without those two items, everything else is meaningless - and it will show. There is not a single chance the UK public would be able to hold anyone to account in the USSEU.Personally im more than happy to take a risk and chance our arm whilst being repsonsible for our future. Others arent and thats their choice.

Funny how everyone was going to work in the EU. Nobody is stopping you still. The weather is probably better than Swansea anyway.

Brexit, cause & effect, and the laws of the - economic - universe: on 13:24 - Jun 3 with 886 viewsrock1n

Brexit, cause & effect, and the laws of the - economic - universe: on 12:55 - Jun 3 by PozuelosSideys

Wow, there are an awful lot of assumptions and generalisations there in relation to migration. This net benefit you talk about is financial. The underlying cost impact which is not accounted for is huge - ie services etc. Non-EU migrants also pay a fhuckton of cash to get that visa YoY too. Plus many take advantage of EU rules

Smaller class sizes? You not have kids then i assume?

Houseprices - supply and demand chum. There needs to be a market correction. Houses are for living, not for profit.

Tax? Offshoring? Really? How about we hold our politicians to account and force some rule changes? How about we become competitive with the likes of Dublin and Lux tax havens and take their businesses off them instead?

Accountability and transparency is everything, but without those two items, everything else is meaningless - and it will show. There is not a single chance the UK public would be able to hold anyone to account in the USSEU.Personally im more than happy to take a risk and chance our arm whilst being repsonsible for our future. Others arent and thats their choice.

Funny how everyone was going to work in the EU. Nobody is stopping you still. The weather is probably better than Swansea anyway.

Smaller class sizes will only be effected by dramatic reductions in immigration, this is simply not going to happen as I said previously YOU ARE KIDDING YOURSELF.

Houseprices have nothing to do with the EU beyond reductions due to lower growth - great awesome less growth - yay! The BOE can increase the cost of borrowing quite easily to correct the market, that has nothing to with EU.

On Tax, we could have a 0% CT tax rate if we liked, haven't you noticed the debates recently?

Leaving the EU will mean the end of free movement, that will mean it's more difficult it's not a one way street mate

Brexit, cause & effect, and the laws of the - economic - universe: on 13:40 - Jun 3 with 874 viewsskippyjack

Fair play.. you're a pompous pr*ck.

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

Brexit, cause & effect, and the laws of the - economic - universe: on 14:38 - Jun 3 with 850 viewsswanforthemoney

there was an opportunity for people like the author to stand for parliament on a remain ticket, organise remainers to really lobby over the election period or really support monetarily the LibDems as a Remain party.
Instead what has she done: write an article for the guardian.
She must feel really strongly about it. Lightweight.
As I said in my other thread, the Remainers have evaporated when it comes to really doing anything about it. All that gnashing of teeth and outrage that we got on the day after the referendum just seems to have been another meme on Twitter.

I stand in the North Stand

Brexit, cause & effect, and the laws of the - economic - universe: on 14:41 - Jun 3 with 847 viewsploppy

Benefit - the huge waste of money which is the farcical move from Brussels to Strasbourg every month.
[Post edited 3 Jun 2017 14:54]
Brexit, cause & effect, and the laws of the - economic - universe: on 15:40 - Jun 3 with 818 viewsHighjack

Brexit, cause & effect, and the laws of the - economic - universe: on 14:41 - Jun 3 by ploppy

Benefit - the huge waste of money which is the farcical move from Brussels to Strasbourg every month.
[Post edited 3 Jun 2017 14:54]

Benefit - It winds up people like Eddie Izzard and Rockin

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Brexit, cause & effect, and the laws of the - economic - universe: on 15:49 - Jun 3 with 813 viewsPozuelosSideys

Brexit, cause & effect, and the laws of the - economic - universe: on 13:24 - Jun 3 by rock1n

Smaller class sizes will only be effected by dramatic reductions in immigration, this is simply not going to happen as I said previously YOU ARE KIDDING YOURSELF.

Houseprices have nothing to do with the EU beyond reductions due to lower growth - great awesome less growth - yay! The BOE can increase the cost of borrowing quite easily to correct the market, that has nothing to with EU.

On Tax, we could have a 0% CT tax rate if we liked, haven't you noticed the debates recently?

Leaving the EU will mean the end of free movement, that will mean it's more difficult it's not a one way street mate

Well no. If you limit the growth in net migration, it allows the infrastructure to catch up over the medium to long term. Allowing uncontrolling immigration to add alongside natural population growth provides a multiplier effect whereby there is zero chance of us ever being able to catch up.

Again, houseprices. It is supply and demand my friend.More people = more demand = higher prices. Property becomes more valuable, therefore more speculation and more houses purchased for buy-to-let by wealthy stakeholders. Ever wonder why the rich get richer and the poor get nothing? Its because of stuff like this - but the left do not see it. Money breeds money!! Again an increase in price due to limited available housing stock and pricing average Joe out.

We could have a zero CT, but that would be utterly stupid. Cash has to be moved somewhere. Better it is here surely? Name me somewhere else where the % is so low? UK is already low as it is

End of free movement? Good! Thats what i want. I dont believe its a positive. If people want to go abroad, they still can. Where else on earth do countries allow freedom of movement between them? Nowhere! Why? Because its barking mad!
[Post edited 3 Jun 2017 15:50]

Brexit, cause & effect, and the laws of the - economic - universe: on 16:04 - Jun 3 with 801 viewsrock1n

Brexit, cause & effect, and the laws of the - economic - universe: on 15:49 - Jun 3 by PozuelosSideys

Well no. If you limit the growth in net migration, it allows the infrastructure to catch up over the medium to long term. Allowing uncontrolling immigration to add alongside natural population growth provides a multiplier effect whereby there is zero chance of us ever being able to catch up.

Again, houseprices. It is supply and demand my friend.More people = more demand = higher prices. Property becomes more valuable, therefore more speculation and more houses purchased for buy-to-let by wealthy stakeholders. Ever wonder why the rich get richer and the poor get nothing? Its because of stuff like this - but the left do not see it. Money breeds money!! Again an increase in price due to limited available housing stock and pricing average Joe out.

We could have a zero CT, but that would be utterly stupid. Cash has to be moved somewhere. Better it is here surely? Name me somewhere else where the % is so low? UK is already low as it is

End of free movement? Good! Thats what i want. I dont believe its a positive. If people want to go abroad, they still can. Where else on earth do countries allow freedom of movement between them? Nowhere! Why? Because its barking mad!
[Post edited 3 Jun 2017 15:50]

As I keep saying to you, like all brexit supporters it tends to revolve around immigration.

We will not cut immigration, listen to what David Davis has said. There is not going to be CUTS, he's talking about getting back CONTROL. That's a completely different thing, they have pretty much admitted it will remain high because it's good for the economy etc etc.

Brexit supporters just keep believing we're going to shut the borders, we won't!

Ideologically I believe freedom of movement is a wonderful thing btw and we'll soon miss it when it's gone.

Brexit, cause & effect, and the laws of the - economic - universe: on 16:09 - Jun 3 with 795 viewsblueytheblue

Brexit, cause & effect, and the laws of the - economic - universe: on 16:04 - Jun 3 by rock1n

As I keep saying to you, like all brexit supporters it tends to revolve around immigration.

We will not cut immigration, listen to what David Davis has said. There is not going to be CUTS, he's talking about getting back CONTROL. That's a completely different thing, they have pretty much admitted it will remain high because it's good for the economy etc etc.

Brexit supporters just keep believing we're going to shut the borders, we won't!

Ideologically I believe freedom of movement is a wonderful thing btw and we'll soon miss it when it's gone.

Ah so all Brexiteers believe in shutting the borders. Such an interesting view.

What we need is a system like Australia uses. Skilled immigrants where said skill is at a proven shortage or those fully able to support themselves. Skilled immigrants add to Britain. Unskilled and dependents don't.

Poll: Alternate POTY final

Brexit, cause & effect, and the laws of the - economic - universe: on 16:14 - Jun 3 with 791 viewsJango

Brexit, cause & effect, and the laws of the - economic - universe: on 16:04 - Jun 3 by rock1n

Freedom of movement is a load of nonsense. If you've got a passport, a skill or a student and you've got a clean criminal record then you'll get wherever you want to go anyway. The only people who will lose out with no free movement are criminals or people looking to take advantage of the system.
Brexit, cause & effect, and the laws of the - economic - universe: on 16:27 - Jun 3 with 783 viewsploppy

This is a serious question for rock1n and others. When you say this, how did you imagine it was going to happen? Were you going to move there first, rent a house in a location where you'd like to work, and then try and find a job? BTW, I hope your language skills are up to scratch. Or were you going to apply remotely?

The former is quite a risky strategy.

The latter, if you're qualified for the job and an attractive enough candidate, I expect will still be an option for you.

So what's your concern?
Brexit, cause & effect, and the laws of the - economic - universe: on 16:32 - Jun 3 with 779 viewsblueytheblue

Brexit, cause & effect, and the laws of the - economic - universe: on 16:27 - Jun 3 by ploppy

This is a serious question for rock1n and others. When you say this, how did you imagine it was going to happen? Were you going to move there first, rent a house in a location where you'd like to work, and then try and find a job? BTW, I hope your language skills are up to scratch. Or were you going to apply remotely?

The former is quite a risky strategy.

The latter, if you're qualified for the job and an attractive enough candidate, I expect will still be an option for you.

So what's your concern?

It's amazing how many people opposed to Brexit were planning to leave to work in the EU.

I sometimes think the migration figures are wrong and that within a decade it'll only be Loh and I left in Britain.

Oh, and Trampie. I suspect Loh and I will flee Wales too in that event leaving the Trampster to bask in the glory of having only indigenous Welsh left...

Poll: Alternate POTY final

Brexit, cause & effect, and the laws of the - economic - universe: on 17:30 - Jun 3 with 747 viewsploppy

Brexit, cause & effect, and the laws of the - economic - universe: on 16:32 - Jun 3 by blueytheblue

It's amazing how many people opposed to Brexit were planning to leave to work in the EU.

I sometimes think the migration figures are wrong and that within a decade it'll only be Loh and I left in Britain.

Oh, and Trampie. I suspect Loh and I will flee Wales too in that event leaving the Trampster to bask in the glory of having only indigenous Welsh left...

Thing is, it's like a throw away comment for them. Working abroad, in a non-English speaking country is not to be taken lightly. It's not like going on holiday. Firstly, you need to able to speak the language - you can get by for certain things, but when you have to deal with important issues you really should be speaking the local language. Then there's income tax, healthcare, etc to worry about before you even consider the differences in inheritance tax laws and the like. But yeah, "I was thinking about going to work in the EU .....". Easy, innit.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024