Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
£10 minimum wage 16:22 - Jun 7 with 10910 viewspremierjack

Sorry if this has been posted on here before.

I'm not great on these political issues so thought I would ask you lot because I would like to use my vote so....

If labour put the minimum wage up to £10 an hour, wouldnt shops, businesses etc just put their prices up so the people earning more than £10 per hour at the moment be worse off? Also wouldn't it deskill some jobs that need qualifications and good education? For example, if someone was on £11 per hr, it may be worth quitting and doing a less stressful, less challenging job for only £1 an hour less?

This post has been edited by an administrator
£10 minimum wage on 16:28 - Jun 7 with 6593 viewsunion_jack

There's no way you'll get a footballer to accept £10 per hour.

Edit: As this thread has now moved to the non-football forum, my tongue-in-cheek remark above has lost its humour!
[Post edited 8 Jun 2017 16:47]

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

£10 minimum wage on 16:30 - Jun 7 with 6592 viewsjack247

I'd think they would just employ less people wherever possible.

What would you do if you were Amazon, you employed thousands of people in unskilled jobs, you suddenly had to pay them an extra couple of quid an hour and you had to pay more tax?
£10 minimum wage on 16:36 - Jun 7 with 6567 viewsmacthejack

£10 minimum wage on 16:30 - Jun 7 by jack247

I'd think they would just employ less people wherever possible.

What would you do if you were Amazon, you employed thousands of people in unskilled jobs, you suddenly had to pay them an extra couple of quid an hour and you had to pay more tax?

Poor old amazon, how will they survive?
£10 minimum wage on 16:39 - Jun 7 with 6553 viewsDarran

You know exactly what's going to happen if Labour get in and this though don't you?

Businesses will go to the wall or move to other countries and it'll all be blamed on the Tories because of Brexit.

Wait and see.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

£10 minimum wage on 16:48 - Jun 7 with 6528 viewsthe_oracle

£10 minimum wage on 16:39 - Jun 7 by Darran

You know exactly what's going to happen if Labour get in and this though don't you?

Businesses will go to the wall or move to other countries and it'll all be blamed on the Tories because of Brexit.

Wait and see.

They said there would be a mass migration of businesses when the minimum wage was introduced, then when it was increased. There wasn't. So do you think costa and starbucks
and phone shops and supermarkets insurers, banks, post offices, newsagents bakers and everyone else will close and move to Europe and set up there? But surely they are they already there? They will still make profits paying a fair wage. Paying a fair wage means people will buy more coffee and phones and food.
£10 minimum wage on 16:48 - Jun 7 with 6528 viewsLoyal

£10 minimum wage on 16:39 - Jun 7 by Darran

Wait and see.

I thought 90% of them voted to stay in ?

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

£10 minimum wage on 16:49 - Jun 7 with 6520 viewsDarran

£10 minimum wage on 16:48 - Jun 7 by the_oracle

They said there would be a mass migration of businesses when the minimum wage was introduced, then when it was increased. There wasn't. So do you think costa and starbucks
and phone shops and supermarkets insurers, banks, post offices, newsagents bakers and everyone else will close and move to Europe and set up there? But surely they are they already there? They will still make profits paying a fair wage. Paying a fair wage means people will buy more coffee and phones and food.

Not when the prices get too high.

£10 minimum wage on 16:50 - Jun 7 with 6519 viewsjack247

£10 minimum wage on 16:36 - Jun 7 by macthejack

Poor old amazon, how will they survive?

The point wasn't about Amazon, it was about the people who are happy to work there for their current wage that potentially won't have a job to go to at £10 an hour. If no one else will pay them that, which is quite likely, they have gone from net contributors to detractors overnight.

Everyone wants a pay rise, but most would prefer to earn what they currently do than be out of work.
Login to get fewer ads

£10 minimum wage on 17:07 - Jun 7 with 6465 viewsJango

Minimum wage is higher in Germany, France holland etc. corporation tax is much much higher in Germany, France, holland etc. yet all the big companies are gonna pay multi millions to up and leave to countries where it will cost more to run. People who actually believe this have no idea how economics actually works.

http://anotherangryvoice.blogspot.co.uk/2017/06/how-to-spot-economic-idiot-fodde
£10 minimum wage on 17:14 - Jun 7 with 6446 viewsDarran

£10 minimum wage on 17:07 - Jun 7 by Jango

Minimum wage is higher in Germany, France holland etc. corporation tax is much much higher in Germany, France, holland etc. yet all the big companies are gonna pay multi millions to up and leave to countries where it will cost more to run. People who actually believe this have no idea how economics actually works.

http://anotherangryvoice.blogspot.co.uk/2017/06/how-to-spot-economic-idiot-fodde

Makes you wonder why more companies don't come here doesn't it?

I'm not arguing about it I'm just saying over the next few years everytime something happens it'll be the fault of Brexit.

£10 minimum wage on 17:16 - Jun 7 with 6436 viewsjack247

£10 minimum wage on 17:07 - Jun 7 by Jango

Well clearly the likes of Amazon and Starbucks aren't going to up sticks. Their business needs to be close to its market. Doesn't mean they won't cut staff though and it's not just multinationals, there are plenty of small businesses paying below £10 for entry level jobs that may just end up having to cut costs.

I'm not sure if it would happen or not, but a glut of unskilled workers all suddenly out of work and looking for jobs at £10 an hour doesn't seem great.
£10 minimum wage on 17:31 - Jun 7 with 6376 viewsLeonWasGod

Whenever there's talk about social services, quality and outlook on education, etc., then the Nordic countries keep cropping up. My experiences via the missus who's worked in both Sweden and Denmark is that her salary for same jobs as her in the UK is considerably higher, the tax is higher and costs are higher. People aren't necessarily better off individually, but presumably this generates a higher tax take per head of population would better support public spend. God knows how you get to that point from where we are though (poundshop attitude, pile it high and sell it cheap, all about shareholders not citizens).
£10 minimum wage on 17:34 - Jun 7 with 6370 viewsLord_Bony

As an employer if Labour implemented that I would seriously think of reducing hours or getting people to be more productive.

Lots of small businesses would pay cash in hand a lower wage just to survive.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

£10 minimum wage on 18:02 - Jun 7 with 6296 viewsrock1n

Excellent post.

Having a high min wage causes a lot of issues for business and individuals.

Look back in time and you would have 'tea boy' jobs - wouldn't need any real experience just 'start Monday' now it's assessment centres, telephone interviews, face to face interviews coming out of your ears because business has become risk averse because it's costly now.

If you have high min wage it does indeed cause an inflationary effect as costs will be passed on in other ways and wages will be pushed up across the board so in essence there's not a huge net benefit to the rise.

By having a high min wage it will inevitably mean some jobs have become obsolete, post min wage many factory low skill jobs were off-shored because of lower production costs abroad.

What you also find is that wages have standardised across sectors, there isn't the flexibility. There is less T&D now, which taps into my comment about less risk.

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter

£10 minimum wage on 18:11 - Jun 7 with 6254 viewstaffpunk

It won't happen, it's a false promise.

Second Time Around Record Shop-Tonypandy, RCT-Open Friday and Saturday. Valley Leaflets-Reliable Leaflet Distribution throughout South Wales.

£10 minimum wage on 18:15 - Jun 7 with 6237 viewsrock1n

£10 minimum wage on 18:11 - Jun 7 by taffpunk

It won't happen, it's a false promise.

Tories are putting it up to 9 quid.

It's all populist and not economically sensible.

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter

£10 minimum wage on 18:25 - Jun 7 with 6185 viewsJango

It's a case in this country tho that the owners/directors of a lot of businesses are taking out a far far greater amount from the companies than they are paying staff in wages. There needs to be some sort of limit.
£10 minimum wage on 18:27 - Jun 7 with 6177 viewsrock1n

£10 minimum wage on 18:25 - Jun 7 by Jango

It's a case in this country tho that the owners/directors of a lot of businesses are taking out a far far greater amount from the companies than they are paying staff in wages. There needs to be some sort of limit.

Vast majority of businesses are small not huge multinationals. They are just hard working people, grafting away creating wealth for the Country. They should be welcomed and praised not punished.

£10 minimum wage on 18:34 - Jun 7 with 6140 viewsJango

£10 minimum wage on 18:27 - Jun 7 by rock1n

Vast majority of businesses are small not huge multinationals. They are just hard working people, grafting away creating wealth for the Country. They should be welcomed and praised not punished.

I agree to an extent but I've got a friend who's got 3 small business's, he's honest enough to admit that he pays very little tax compared to what he gets out of it. Everything from cars to clothes to eating out to even going on holiday goes through the business. You can't expect to live like that and then take a big dividends at the end of the year but then moan because you've got to pay staff that are the backbone of your company that little bit extra.
£10 minimum wage on 18:34 - Jun 7 with 6140 viewsLord_Bony

£10 minimum wage on 18:25 - Jun 7 by Jango

If you are the owner of a business then you are entitled to take out whatever money you want at any time...

It's your money at the end of the day.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

£10 minimum wage on 18:34 - Jun 7 with 6137 viewsmorningstar

£10 minimum wage on 17:16 - Jun 7 by jack247

Well clearly the likes of Amazon and Starbucks aren't going to up sticks. Their business needs to be close to its market. Doesn't mean they won't cut staff though and it's not just multinationals, there are plenty of small businesses paying below £10 for entry level jobs that may just end up having to cut costs.

I'm not sure if it would happen or not, but a glut of unskilled workers all suddenly out of work and looking for jobs at £10 an hour doesn't seem great.

I'm sorry Tim but i disagree. I can't speak for Starbucks as i don't know anyone who works for them, but i will say that despite some of the horror stories you may have heard about Amazon, a £10 min wage would make very little difference to the full time staff that work there. In fact a few hours overtime each week would see them average above that. And besides, neither would be able to cut staff due to the nature of their business. You are actually putting across the same points as people did when the minimum wage came into force 20 years ago.

Only winner of Planetswans Petulant Diva award.
Poll: Southampton home next. How many points

£10 minimum wage on 18:36 - Jun 7 with 6130 viewsjojaca

The working class need a big pay rise, should be more than £10. The equality gap is getting bigger and bigger, lets close that gap.

Even when you know, you never know?

£10 minimum wage on 18:43 - Jun 7 with 6098 viewsblueytheblue

£10 minimum wage on 18:34 - Jun 7 by Jango

I agree to an extent but I've got a friend who's got 3 small business's, he's honest enough to admit that he pays very little tax compared to what he gets out of it. Everything from cars to clothes to eating out to even going on holiday goes through the business. You can't expect to live like that and then take a big dividends at the end of the year but then moan because you've got to pay staff that are the backbone of your company that little bit extra.

I assume then you'll be reporting this theoretical friend given the fact he's claiming expenses not allowed through his companies?

Car - needs to be used for work principally or benefits in kind occur.
Clothes - you cannot claim expenses on clothes. Only clothing directly applicable for work apply - ie a diving suit. Shirt and tie cannot be claimed...
Eating out - T&S has been clamped down upon, staff entertainment up to a max of £150 per employee per year.
Holiday - no way on earth that gets allowed. Not. A. Chance.In. Hell.

So if your friend is claiming all those then he's clearly ignored the advice of any semi-competent accountant.

He's either winding you up or he's a tax cheat.

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs/contact/reporting

Poll: Alternate POTY final

£10 minimum wage on 18:46 - Jun 7 with 6070 viewsperchrockjack

Never mind that

Who s gonna pay for the three year student pissup

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

£10 minimum wage on 18:47 - Jun 7 with 6061 viewsJango

£10 minimum wage on 18:34 - Jun 7 by Lord_Bony

If you are the owner of a business then you are entitled to take out whatever money you want at any time...

It's your money at the end of the day.

That's fair enough, but it's also fair enough to expect as the owner, to pay their staff that bit extra if they are taking out 50 to 100 times more in some cases. It comes down to greed. If you've got a small business of say 10 staff, it's not right that they should be say earning £12k - £15k a year for the owner to then earn say rediculous amounts.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024