Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Oh, bluddyFin'ELL! Can there be worse than Boob Bradley? 01:55 - Jun 9 with 1799 viewsDavillin

Dear reader: If you drink, have a stiff slug before reading this. If you don't drink, be forewarned that this is going to drive you to drink!

United States Boss Bruce Arena Confident he 'Can Coach Anywhere'

United States coach Bruce Arena believes he "can coach anywhere" and told Goal his countryman Bob Bradley was in a "no-win situation" before he was sacked by Swansea City.

The Premier League club, owned by Americans Jason Levien and Steve Kaplan, fired Bradley in December, less than three months after hiring him.

Bradley said last year he feared his departure could damage the future prospects of Americans managing abroad, but Arena remains confident in his ability.

"I think I can coach anywhere," Arena said. "I think every situation you go into takes a little bit of time, and you've got to get adjusted to it. But I've met the top coaches in the world -- you can do it. Every situation is different."

Arena said Bradley was not entering a good situation at Swansea, who were already facing the prospect of relegation when he came aboard.

"When you look at Bob Bradley at Swansea, that might have been a no-win situation, and probably due to ownership more than anything. He was kind of set up, in some ways, to fail.

"Everyone has to be in the right position. Look at David Moyes, an incredibly good coach. All those good years at Preston North End and Everton, then you go to Man U, now that's a tough job. Am I saying I'm qualified to coach at Man U? That's a whole different animal.

"It's made it tough on [Moyes'] career and he's had some challenging times over the last five, six years at different clubs."

Arena, now in his second stint as U.S. coach, has experience coaching stars like David Beckham and Robbie Keane with the LA Galaxy.

But he believes the global perception of American soccer still hinders opportunities for both players and coaches from the U.S.

"I think, unfortunately, there's still the notion that Americans can't play, and Americans can't coach in our game," he said.

[Davillin's note: It ain't just a 'notion," Bruce.]

This post has been edited by an administrator

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

Oh, bluddyFin'ELL! Can there be worse than Boob Bradley? on 01:57 - Jun 9 with 1797 viewsWarwickHunt

I know his brother, Wembley.
Oh, bluddyFin'ELL! Can there be worse than Boob Bradley? on 02:00 - Jun 9 with 1791 viewslondonlisa2001

Oh, bluddyFin'ELL! Can there be worse than Boob Bradley? on 01:57 - Jun 9 by WarwickHunt

And his sister Tina?
Oh, bluddyFin'ELL! Can there be worse than Boob Bradley? on 02:02 - Jun 9 with 1789 viewsDavillin

Oh, bluddyFin'ELL! Can there be worse than Boob Bradley? on 01:57 - Jun 9 by WarwickHunt

I'd bet Wembley is a better coach.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

Oh, bluddyFin'ELL! Can there be worse than Boob Bradley? on 04:08 - Jun 9 with 1732 viewsTummer_from_Texas

No win situation? Hold my beer.

I like Bruce, and I appreciate how he has likely saved our World Cup streak after Klinsmann nearly Bradleyed the USA national team (we had another vital win under him tonight). And I can understand, I guess, if he wants to stick up for his friend.

But he really needs to shut the hell up about Swansea. He just looks like a complete idiot. Clement has made a lot of American "soccer experts" look like idiots for saying the exact same thing back in January. But it has me at a complete loss that Arena is still trying to push this disproven narrative after our "no win situation" somehow managed 29 points in half a f-ing season.

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Oh, bluddyFin'ELL! Can there be worse than Boob Bradley? on 04:26 - Jun 9 with 1710 viewsEasternJack

Oh, bluddyFin'ELL! Can there be worse than Boob Bradley? on 04:08 - Jun 9 by Tummer_from_Texas

No win situation? Hold my beer.

I like Bruce, and I appreciate how he has likely saved our World Cup streak after Klinsmann nearly Bradleyed the USA national team (we had another vital win under him tonight). And I can understand, I guess, if he wants to stick up for his friend.

But he really needs to shut the hell up about Swansea. He just looks like a complete idiot. Clement has made a lot of American "soccer experts" look like idiots for saying the exact same thing back in January. But it has me at a complete loss that Arena is still trying to push this disproven narrative after our "no win situation" somehow managed 29 points in half a f-ing season.

Ah yes, but there's a ready counter argument around the transfer window.

If Bobley had a transfer window I bet he reckons he would've gone on to win the World Cup this season.

Arena does need to stfu - he's nowhere near as good as he thinks he is.

Poll: Hull vs Middlesborough - What do we want?

Oh, bluddyFin'ELL! Can there be worse than Boob Bradley? on 04:34 - Jun 9 with 1700 viewskyswans

"No win situation"

Well, Bobbo could've won. Eight points in 11 games (easier games than what FG had, I might add), and allowing nearly three goals per contest will do that to you.
Oh, bluddyFin'ELL! Can there be worse than Boob Bradley? on 04:44 - Jun 9 with 1693 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Oh, bluddyFin'ELL! Can there be worse than Boob Bradley? on 04:26 - Jun 9 by EasternJack

Ah yes, but there's a ready counter argument around the transfer window.

If Bobley had a transfer window I bet he reckons he would've gone on to win the World Cup this season.

Arena does need to stfu - he's nowhere near as good as he thinks he is.

Hah! Funny you should mention that - I heard that argument from a couple of my fellow Americans over the spring. And don't get me wrong, we did great in the January transfer window, we hit a home run when we needed it the most. But looking at it without 20/20 hindsight, all we were adding at the time were: two Championship players, an unwanted bench warmer from Spurs (whose supporters snickered that they were robbing us of a few million £), and another cast off from Holland. Not exactly breaking the January bank by PL standards.

Those additions, as well as they worked out, would have meant nothing without a manager that could 1) sort out our defensive shape, 2) realize we needed to play our striker and get him in positions to take advantage of his strengths, and 3) pick a relatively consistent starting XI and give them a chance to gell.

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Oh, bluddyFin'ELL! Can there be worse than Boob Bradley? on 07:38 - Jun 9 with 1546 viewsphact0rri

I like Arena, good guy he is, on a personal level-- but I don't know if he's qualified to coach anywhere, maybe geographical in lower divisions (which is really what Boob Bra-dley should have done). He is from his time at Galaxy really looked into that Fergie mold of punt the ball to mid field and hope that the AM can slot it into the box on the break. I do believe that's how beckham wanted to play it, when they basically structured the whole Galaxy squad around him. And when becks saw the door they never really changed it. And though I haven't seen any US matches under him, I don't expect the USMST is any different.

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

Login to get fewer ads

Oh, bluddyFin'ELL! Can there be worse than Boob Bradley? on 09:54 - Jun 9 with 1337 viewspencoedjack

'Already facing the prospect of relegation'

'David Moyes an extremely good coach'

Enough said
Oh, bluddyFin'ELL! Can there be worse than Boob Bradley? on 10:54 - Jun 9 with 1268 viewsLord_Bony

Bradley has set back American coaching prospects in the EPL back 5 years...fact.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Oh, bluddyFin'ELL! Can there be worse than Boob Bradley? on 11:04 - Jun 9 with 1239 viewsjack247

Oh, bluddyFin'ELL! Can there be worse than Boob Bradley? on 10:54 - Jun 9 by Lord_Bony

Bradley has set back American coaching prospects in the EPL back 5 years...fact.

You think? I'd like to think that if a decent American manager worked his way up to a PL job, rather than just fannying around vastly inferior leagues, the USA and Egypt for 30 years then getting a job based on his accent, that he would be taken seriously.

I'd class Wagner as German myself, but I can understand people classing him as American. Let's see how he gets on and if he does well, if it changes perceptions
Oh, bluddyFin'ELL! Can there be worse than Boob Bradley? on 11:43 - Jun 9 with 1190 viewsDafyddHuw

Oh, bluddyFin'ELL! Can there be worse than Boob Bradley? on 10:54 - Jun 9 by Lord_Bony

What's the EPL?
Oh, bluddyFin'ELL! Can there be worse than Boob Bradley? on 11:53 - Jun 9 with 1174 viewsLord_Bony

English premier league.

He was the first ever yank manager. as you know ...no one will take American coaching serious after this ...not for a good while anyway until someone exceptional comes along.

Lower league clubs could be the exception.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Oh, bluddyFin'ELL! Can there be worse than Boob Bradley? on 12:03 - Jun 9 with 1156 viewsdcd14

Oh, bluddyFin'ELL! Can there be worse than Boob Bradley? on 11:53 - Jun 9 by Lord_Bony

English premier league.

He was the first ever yank manager. as you know ...no one will take American coaching serious after this ...not for a good while anyway until someone exceptional comes along.

Lower league clubs could be the exception.

Maybe they should blame Soccer AM.

Brad Bobbley!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024