Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
'Performance' petrol 11:22 - Jun 10 with 1975 viewsDyfnant

This hi octane stuff, is it worth it?

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

'Performance' petrol on 11:31 - Jun 10 with 1668 viewsTheFranchise

only if you've had a remap
'Performance' petrol on 11:33 - Jun 10 with 1661 viewsBanosswan

Generally for the very sporty cars. Some Japanese cars work better with higher Ron as in Japan all stations use a high ron petrol.

This info is at least ten years old, I'm not sure with modern engines.
[Post edited 10 Jun 2017 11:50]

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

'Performance' petrol on 11:43 - Jun 10 with 1649 viewsmonmouth

No. Not unless your car engine specifically needs it. Total waste of money and marketing gimmick otherwise.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

'Performance' petrol on 11:51 - Jun 10 with 1634 viewsItchySphincter

'Performance' petrol on 11:43 - Jun 10 by monmouth

No. Not unless your car engine specifically needs it. Total waste of money and marketing gimmick otherwise.

Where did you get that info from? If I put the shell premium stuff in my car it goes further on a tank and sounds better. Not bullshit.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

'Performance' petrol on 12:00 - Jun 10 with 1621 viewsJoe_bradshaw

'Performance' petrol on 11:43 - Jun 10 by monmouth

Rubbish.

I get extra mpg which more than makes up for the price difference and it's better for the engine as well.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

'Performance' petrol on 12:06 - Jun 10 with 1615 viewsmonmouth

'Performance' petrol on 12:00 - Jun 10 by Joe_bradshaw

Rubbish.

I get extra mpg which more than makes up for the price difference and it's better for the engine as well.

Suit yourself. In my opinion, and every single authority on this that I've read, you're being mugged.

'Performance' petrol on 14:10 - Jun 10 with 1548 viewsDyfnant

Sticker under the petrol cap says it's required

'Performance' petrol on 14:37 - Jun 10 with 1529 viewsmonmouth

'Performance' petrol on 14:10 - Jun 10 by Dyfnant

I think you've answered your own question then. What the hell have you bought?

Login to get fewer ads

'Performance' petrol on 21:15 - Jun 10 with 1410 viewsBanosswan

'Performance' petrol on 14:10 - Jun 10 by Dyfnant

Petrol turbos will often need it

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

'Performance' petrol on 23:16 - Jun 10 with 1362 viewsDyfnant

'Performance' petrol on 14:37 - Jun 10 by monmouth

I think you've answered your own question then. What the hell have you bought?

Only a golf gti, that's why I was dubious over the need. As has been said, perhaps its cause of the turbo

'Performance' petrol on 08:36 - Jun 11 with 1309 viewsItchySphincter

'Performance' petrol on 23:16 - Jun 10 by Dyfnant

Only a golf gti, that's why I was dubious over the need. As has been said, perhaps its cause of the turbo

Modern engines and turbos are very delicate. High quaility oil will save you a fortune in repairs and a tank full of premium fuel every couple of tanks isn't going to hurt in the pocket too much. Like everything in life you get what you pay for.

'Performance' petrol on 10:41 - Jun 11 with 1263 viewsmax936

'Performance' petrol on 08:36 - Jun 11 by ItchySphincter

Modern engines and turbos are very delicate. High quaility oil will save you a fortune in repairs and a tank full of premium fuel every couple of tanks isn't going to hurt in the pocket too much. Like everything in life you get what you pay for.

I remember the days when the advice was to put Redex in with a tankful of fuel once a month or somin, as that protected the engine and things and another product that was supposed to coat the internals of the engine with PTFE.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

'Performance' petrol on 11:01 - Jun 11 with 1251 viewsmonmouth

'Performance' petrol on 23:16 - Jun 10 by Dyfnant

Could be, but I have a very high performance diesel turbo...twin turbo in fact...and when I asked the manufacturer about 'high performance diesel fuels' they totally dismissed them. "Our engines run perfectly on the fuel ratings quoted, need no additives, and using higher ratings will add nothing". Of course the fuel companies want to sell you it, why wouldn't they. It's the equivalent of Persil washes whiter. Pay the extra if it makes you happy, and you believe in it.

For you though, if your car is designed to run on higher octane or whatever, there's no choice, you have to use it. Ask Volkswagen.

(Oh and as for better fuel consumption, for say a 70 litre tank, that would be around 7 litres you are foregoing, so anyone who can do maths better than me, doesn't that mean you need 10% improvement in your consumption to break even.....good luck with that.)
[Post edited 11 Jun 2017 11:10]

'Performance' petrol on 11:36 - Jun 11 with 1216 viewsmax936

'Performance' petrol on 11:01 - Jun 11 by monmouth

Could be, but I have a very high performance diesel turbo...twin turbo in fact...and when I asked the manufacturer about 'high performance diesel fuels' they totally dismissed them. "Our engines run perfectly on the fuel ratings quoted, need no additives, and using higher ratings will add nothing". Of course the fuel companies want to sell you it, why wouldn't they. It's the equivalent of Persil washes whiter. Pay the extra if it makes you happy, and you believe in it.

For you though, if your car is designed to run on higher octane or whatever, there's no choice, you have to use it. Ask Volkswagen.

(Oh and as for better fuel consumption, for say a 70 litre tank, that would be around 7 litres you are foregoing, so anyone who can do maths better than me, doesn't that mean you need 10% improvement in your consumption to break even.....good luck with that.)
[Post edited 11 Jun 2017 11:10]

What you got monny, Merc?

'Performance' petrol on 11:47 - Jun 11 with 1206 viewsmonmouth

'Performance' petrol on 11:36 - Jun 11 by max936

What you got monny, Merc?

BMW max. Going to ruin me when it goes wrong. But it was so shiny...

'Performance' petrol on 11:52 - Jun 11 with 1201 viewsmax936

'Performance' petrol on 11:47 - Jun 11 by monmouth

Lovely, I'm a Merc fan myself though, although the closest I'll get to a high Performance motor is my lads Fiesta ST and my Yam Tracer MT09 two wheels I know but its quickish
[Post edited 11 Jun 2017 11:53]

'Performance' petrol on 12:03 - Jun 11 with 1184 viewsmonmouth

'Performance' petrol on 11:52 - Jun 11 by max936

Lovely, I'm a Merc fan myself though, although the closest I'll get to a high Performance motor is my lads Fiesta ST and my Yam Tracer MT09 two wheels I know but its quickish
[Post edited 11 Jun 2017 11:53]

I've had a few mercs and been happy enough with them. This was purely down to the deal I managed to get and my stupid impulsive nature with cars. Not sure I'll ever do it again. I am almost as happy driving my wife's Kia really.

'Performance' petrol on 12:24 - Jun 11 with 1159 viewsmax936

'Performance' petrol on 12:03 - Jun 11 by monmouth

I've had a few mercs and been happy enough with them. This was purely down to the deal I managed to get and my stupid impulsive nature with cars. Not sure I'll ever do it again. I am almost as happy driving my wife's Kia really.

Funnily enough I'm happy enough driving our Peugeot Expert Tepee Independence van goes like a bat out of hell and the driving position is quite high up off the road its a cracking van, much better than the VW Transporters we've had in the past, which had as much go in them as a flat bottle of pop.
[Post edited 11 Jun 2017 12:36]

'Performance' petrol on 21:44 - Jun 11 with 1059 viewsItchySphincter

'Performance' petrol on 11:47 - Jun 11 by monmouth

If you don't look after that turbo it's going to cost you a fortune.

Great cars but those turbos and dual mass flywheels need mollycoddling. Serious.

'Performance' petrol on 21:55 - Jun 11 with 1050 viewsCooperman

Step 1 - check if you'll damage your drive train by running higher octane (check with dealer, handbook, etc.)

If no then

Step 2 - try and tank full over similar driving conditions to your norm and benchmark mpg. Not every engine will deliver an improvement.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

'Performance' petrol on 21:57 - Jun 11 with 1047 viewsmonmouth

'Performance' petrol on 21:44 - Jun 11 by ItchySphincter

Great cars but those turbos and dual mass flywheels need mollycoddling. Serious.

I know. I'm seriously thinking of getting shot when it's out of warranty and taking Coops advice about leasing. I suppose that depreciation costs a fortune too though, so if you want one of these things get ready to pay through the nose. I did have something similar before that was 7 years old with no problems, but it is Russian Roulette. They are great cars, but as I say, I'm still not sure it's worth the cost.

'Performance' petrol on 22:09 - Jun 11 with 1035 viewsmax936

'Performance' petrol on 21:44 - Jun 11 by ItchySphincter

I keep telling the lad to nurse is ST until it warms up, Turbo's don't like high rev's until they are warmed up, keep und 3k rev's until its warm, wait for engine temp to come up then eait another 5 mins more.

'Performance' petrol on 22:18 - Jun 11 with 1017 viewsmonmouth

'Performance' petrol on 22:09 - Jun 11 by max936

I keep telling the lad to nurse is ST until it warms up, Turbo's don't like high rev's until they are warmed up, keep und 3k rev's until its warm, wait for engine temp to come up then eait another 5 mins more.

Some say to let it cool by taking it easy for the last mile or letting the engine idle before turning off too, but most have a cooling protection these days. To be fair the engine in mine is pretty much tried and tested with no history of any nasties.

Unlike my missus previous 118d 2012 shitbox and its faulty inaccessible timing chain. Just remembered why I hate BMW. But they are shiny.

'Performance' petrol on 22:21 - Jun 11 with 1012 viewsmax936

'Performance' petrol on 22:18 - Jun 11 by monmouth

Some say to let it cool by taking it easy for the last mile or letting the engine idle before turning off too, but most have a cooling protection these days. To be fair the engine in mine is pretty much tried and tested with no history of any nasties.

Unlike my missus previous 118d 2012 shitbox and its faulty inaccessible timing chain. Just remembered why I hate BMW. But they are shiny.

I haven't a clue to be honest Mon, I read it on the Fiesta ST forum.

'Performance' petrol on 22:40 - Jun 11 with 994 viewsDarran

People that worry about fuel and things like not putting the air conditioning on because it uses too much petrol need to sort their heads out.

On a side not on a boiling hot day the air con in a Bentley is like sitting in a fridge.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024