Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The madness continues 15:57 - Jun 12 with 9313 viewsexiledclaseboy

Queen's Speech likely to be delayed because the government doesn't know what to put in it. DUP must be playing hardball. Also, the ink takes ages to dry.

Her Majesty's plans for Royal Ascot suddenly thrown into chaos.

1922 Committee meeting tonight to tell the PM how abjectly useless she is. She must be looking forward to that.

Boris sends a whatsapp message of total support for May that he absolutely didn't know was going to be leaked. The vultures are circling.

Brexit talks due to start next week. EU is ready, we quite patently aren't as we have a laughing stock of a prime minister and a chaotic "government".

In the meantime Mrs May is "getting on with the job". It's just that no one is quite sure what that job is.

Top drawer entertainment fair play. Like a Jeffrey Archer potboiler on acid.

Poll: Tory leader

The madness continues on 16:01 - Jun 12 with 6255 viewslondonlisa2001

I'm hoping that the Queen's speech issue is more to do with the subtle leaks emanating today about a watered down manifesto including watered down Brexit rather than the DUP.

Sayeeda Warsi's tweet yesterday was (almost unbelievably) quite sensible.

I genuinely fail to see what cards the DUP hold that would allow them to play hardball.
The madness continues on 16:06 - Jun 12 with 6245 viewswaynekerr55

Unlike Boris to say something and mean another thing, hey?

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

The madness continues on 16:09 - Jun 12 with 6233 viewsexiledclaseboy

The madness continues on 16:01 - Jun 12 by londonlisa2001

I'm hoping that the Queen's speech issue is more to do with the subtle leaks emanating today about a watered down manifesto including watered down Brexit rather than the DUP.

I genuinely fail to see what cards the DUP hold that would allow them to play hardball.

As you said last night, May had no need to approach the DUP for a formal deal. All she had to do was say to them "vote the Queen's Speech down and be responsible for allowing Corbyn into No 10". Courting the DUP formally was another in an increasingly long line of stupid, rash decisions by May.

They'll have to water down the manifesto significantly cos much of it won't get past her own backbenchers let alone the DUP. I wonder if the "Great Repeal Bill" will survive the cull.

The madness continues on 16:13 - Jun 12 with 6222 viewswaynekerr55

The madness continues on 16:09 - Jun 12 by exiledclaseboy

As you said last night, May had no need to approach the DUP for a formal deal. All she had to do was say to them "vote the Queen's Speech down and be responsible for allowing Corbyn into No 10". Courting the DUP formally was another in an increasingly long line of stupid, rash decisions by May.

They'll have to water down the manifesto significantly cos much of it won't get past her own backbenchers let alone the DUP. I wonder if the "Great Repeal Bill" will survive the cull.

Anything that dilutes a swiveled - eyed hard Brexit is good for me

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

The madness continues on 16:16 - Jun 12 with 6214 viewslondonlisa2001

The madness continues on 16:09 - Jun 12 by exiledclaseboy

God knows.

It really is the most astonishingly inept performance imaginable.

Although I learnt something new from it, which is that the Queen's Speech is written on goatskin.

With any luck they'll delay for a few years, so we can just rattle on without a government like the Belgians did. I met a few Belgians while that was happening who swore blind that it was the best government they could remember.

The only thing that can make this worse is Boris Johnson. I expect him, stage right, very shortly.
The madness continues on 16:21 - Jun 12 with 6199 viewsexiledclaseboy

How long can they delay it before the government becomes illegitimate to all intents and purposes? The test of a government's legitimacy is whether it can command the confidence of the House of Commons.

The madness continues on 16:22 - Jun 12 with 6195 viewsLohengrin

The madness continues on 16:01 - Jun 12 by londonlisa2001

What cards do the DUP hold? I'd have thought that was an obvious one, Lisa. If and when catweasel calls for a vote of no confidence in the government the DUP could potentially topple it.

The reason for the stalling is the DUP seeking a copper-bottomed deal to ensure support for Ulster's farmers in any post-Brexit transition period. Good for them.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

The madness continues on 16:26 - Jun 12 with 6182 viewsswanjackal

The madness continues on 16:22 - Jun 12 by Lohengrin

What cards do the DUP hold? I'd have thought that was an obvious one, Lisa. If and when catweasel calls for a vote of no confidence in the government the DUP could potentially topple it.

The reason for the stalling is the DUP seeking a copper-bottomed deal to ensure support for Ulster's farmers in any post-Brexit transition period. Good for them.

This card....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

Login to get fewer ads

The madness continues on 16:27 - Jun 12 with 6173 viewsexiledclaseboy

That's pretty much out of the government's hands though. If we crash out of the EU in a "hard Brexit" stylee with no deal and fall back on WTO rules agriculture across the UK will be thrown into chaos. More so in Northern Ireland though, granted.

The madness continues on 16:28 - Jun 12 with 6164 viewssherpajacob

Shirley, no deal with the DUP is better than a bad deal.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

The madness continues on 16:30 - Jun 12 with 6158 viewsLohengrin

The madness continues on 16:16 - Jun 12 by londonlisa2001

God knows.

It really is the most astonishingly inept performance imaginable.

Although I learnt something new from it, which is that the Queen's Speech is written on goatskin.

With any luck they'll delay for a few years, so we can just rattle on without a government like the Belgians did. I met a few Belgians while that was happening who swore blind that it was the best government they could remember.

The only thing that can make this worse is Boris Johnson. I expect him, stage right, very shortly.

"Although I learnt something new from it, which is that the Queen's Speech is written on goatskin."

It's not, love. It hasn't been for fifty years or more they've just retained the name for ceremonial purposes. A Guardsman's 'Bearskin' is synthetic too, I'm afraid.

Modernity, eh?
[Post edited 12 Jun 2017 16:30]

The madness continues on 16:32 - Jun 12 with 6139 viewsexiledclaseboy

The madness continues on 16:30 - Jun 12 by Lohengrin

"Although I learnt something new from it, which is that the Queen's Speech is written on goatskin."

It's not, love. It hasn't been for fifty years or more they've just retained the name for ceremonial purposes. A Guardsman's 'Bearskin' is synthetic too, I'm afraid.

Modernity, eh?
[Post edited 12 Jun 2017 16:30]

Not true, at least according to the Grauniad:

"Also known as the gracious speech, it was historically written on vellum with ink that takes three days to dry. Although it is now written on thick goatskin parchment, this also needs several days to dry, meaning a speech cannot be amended at the last minute."

The madness continues on 16:33 - Jun 12 with 6132 viewsexiledclaseboy

The madness continues on 16:28 - Jun 12 by sherpajacob

Shirley, no deal with the DUP is better than a bad deal.

It's already a coalition of chaos.

Innit funny when your campaign catchphrases come back and bite you on the arse?

The madness continues on 16:35 - Jun 12 with 6122 viewsUxbridge

The madness continues on 16:27 - Jun 12 by exiledclaseboy

That's pretty much out of the government's hands though. If we crash out of the EU in a "hard Brexit" stylee with no deal and fall back on WTO rules agriculture across the UK will be thrown into chaos. More so in Northern Ireland though, granted.

Aye, but a £10bn slush fund for Norn Iron farmers specifically would cover that. There'll be some pieces of silver crossing their palms at the expense of everyone else, no doubt. Probably enough to pay for millions of metres of orange sashes.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

The madness continues on 16:35 - Jun 12 with 6122 viewsLohengrin

The madness continues on 16:32 - Jun 12 by exiledclaseboy

Not true, at least according to the Grauniad:

"Also known as the gracious speech, it was historically written on vellum with ink that takes three days to dry. Although it is now written on thick goatskin parchment, this also needs several days to dry, meaning a speech cannot be amended at the last minute."

Those renowned devotees of Monarchical etiquette at the Guardian are making it up as they go along.

The madness continues on 16:36 - Jun 12 with 6116 viewslondonlisa2001

I realise they can mathematically topple it. But topple it to allow in a man that must be as hated as anyone in DUP circles? Not a chance.

That's why I can't see why they have any cards. They cannot allow themselves to become the reason for a Corbyn PM. They'd be finished. So it's not obvious at all.
The madness continues on 16:36 - Jun 12 with 6115 viewsexiledclaseboy

The madness continues on 16:35 - Jun 12 by Lohengrin

Those renowned devotees of Monarchical etiquette at the Guardian are making it up as they go along.

Well to be fair, so is everyone else at the moment.

The madness continues on 16:38 - Jun 12 with 6110 viewsLohengrin

The madness continues on 16:36 - Jun 12 by exiledclaseboy

Well to be fair, so is everyone else at the moment.

HM isn't. She's the rock upon which the nation is built.

The madness continues on 16:40 - Jun 12 with 6101 viewsexiledclaseboy

The madness continues on 16:38 - Jun 12 by Lohengrin

HM isn't. She's the rock upon which the nation is built.

Perhaps she should do away with politics, abolish parliament and govern herself. I'm sure there's no precedent for how that might end.
[Post edited 12 Jun 2017 16:41]

The madness continues on 16:40 - Jun 12 with 6100 viewsHeadmaster

The madness continues on 16:41 - Jun 12 with 6097 viewsmax936

Ironic that we hare Terrorism problems here at present yet our "Prime Minister" is actively seeking a coalition with people who were deemed as Terrorists not so long ago, corrupt doesn't even begin to tell the story.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

The madness continues on 16:44 - Jun 12 with 6078 viewsexiledclaseboy

The madness continues on 16:41 - Jun 12 by max936

Ironic that we hare Terrorism problems here at present yet our "Prime Minister" is actively seeking a coalition with people who were deemed as Terrorists not so long ago, corrupt doesn't even begin to tell the story.

Lohengrin is gonna have you for that. Those terrorists you speak of were doing nothing but defending the good people of Northern Ireland from the republican menace dontcha know.

The madness continues on 16:49 - Jun 12 with 6062 viewsLohengrin

The madness continues on 16:40 - Jun 12 by exiledclaseboy

Perhaps she should do away with politics, abolish parliament and govern herself. I'm sure there's no precedent for how that might end.
[Post edited 12 Jun 2017 16:41]

She could dissolve Parliament, book 650 one-way tickets to Baffin Island and invite Field Marshall Lord Guthrie to form a National Government consisting of the foremost experts in the fields of manufacturing, trade, agriculture, education and the arts.

Martin Luther King doesn't hold a monopoly on dreams.

The madness continues on 16:54 - Jun 12 with 6046 viewsLohengrin

The madness continues on 16:44 - Jun 12 by exiledclaseboy

Lohengrin is gonna have you for that. Those terrorists you speak of were doing nothing but defending the good people of Northern Ireland from the republican menace dontcha know.

The DUP aren't my cup of tea, Clase. They have some good people in there but some bat-shit crazy ones too it has to be said.

My preference for Ulster has always been the UUP and the Royal Black. Twin towers of tradition and decency.

The madness continues on 16:54 - Jun 12 with 6045 viewsexiledclaseboy

The madness continues on 16:49 - Jun 12 by Lohengrin

She could dissolve Parliament, book 650 one-way tickets to Baffin Island and invite Field Marshall Lord Guthrie to form a National Government consisting of the foremost experts in the fields of manufacturing, trade, agriculture, education and the arts.

Martin Luther King doesn't hold a monopoly on dreams.

And civil servants of course. We are, after all, the REAL rock that holds this country together. Working stoically to implement the priorities of the government of the day no matter what the political hue and also no matter how f*cking stupid.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024