Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swansea '10 to 15 years behind Cardiff' 09:45 - Jun 29 with 3876 viewsSwanzay

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-40369295

Seems about right, but Rob Stewart is still in denial..
Swansea '10 to 15 years behind Cardiff' on 09:59 - Jun 29 with 2849 viewsSPboy

I lived in Cardiff in the 1980's when the whole Cardiff Bay thing was kicking off.

I don't see the vision, ambition or plans for Swansea to be even at the stage that Cardiff was back then. Swansea is 20-30 years behind Cardiff in terms of city development.

With the current Welsh Government strategies, the incompetence of the Swansea City council & apathy of the Swansea electorate generally, I fully expect Swansea to be 30-40 years behind in the next 5-10 years.
Swansea '10 to 15 years behind Cardiff' on 10:17 - Jun 29 with 2819 viewsMrSwerve

You can build buildings, but you can't build areas like (the) Gower.

I agree though that Swansea is far more than 10 years behind Cardiff.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Swansea '10 to 15 years behind Cardiff' on 10:22 - Jun 29 with 2807 viewsMorfa_Same

I don't see how people can put a time frame on it.

There is no chance of the assembly building us even a fraction of the things they've built in Cardiff, not in 10, 20 or even 500 years.
Swansea '10 to 15 years behind Cardiff' on 10:37 - Jun 29 with 2775 viewsraynor94

"In the pipe line" The motto of Swansea City Council, sorry Rob, I won't hold my breath

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Swansea '10 to 15 years behind Cardiff' on 10:44 - Jun 29 with 2744 views1983

Money will always be pumped into Cardiff its the capital just like it would if Swansea,Newport,Wrexham was the capital

Like I've said before the capital of not much is not much

Swansea has always been an industrial town/city and it's taking a long time to lose that status

Just smile

Swansea '10 to 15 years behind Cardiff' on 10:45 - Jun 29 with 2741 viewsHighjack

We are ahead of them in football terms by about 60 years.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Swansea '10 to 15 years behind Cardiff' on 10:48 - Jun 29 with 2736 viewsdickythorpe

Why do we bother comapring? Just look at what we have and be thankful , and make the most of it, nurture it and improve it if need be.
Swansea '10 to 15 years behind Cardiff' on 11:07 - Jun 29 with 2686 viewsBatterseajack

Swansea '10 to 15 years behind Cardiff' on 10:48 - Jun 29 by dickythorpe

Why do we bother comapring? Just look at what we have and be thankful , and make the most of it, nurture it and improve it if need be.

Well we do have the st Davids redevelopment underway. RIBA stage 3 design for phase 1 is starting in a few weeks time.
Login to get fewer ads

Swansea '10 to 15 years behind Cardiff' on 11:18 - Jun 29 with 2656 viewsHighjack

Swansea '10 to 15 years behind Cardiff' on 11:07 - Jun 29 by Batterseajack

Well we do have the st Davids redevelopment underway. RIBA stage 3 design for phase 1 is starting in a few weeks time.

Yep and a brand spanking new boulevard

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Swansea '10 to 15 years behind Cardiff' on 11:18 - Jun 29 with 2653 viewsjack_lord

If the Assembly (cough parliament) had been based in Swansea then Cardiff would not have grown in the way it has. I'm not sure Swansea would have improved at the rate of knots Cardiff has as the bubble and the "we are your Capital" thing would not have happened here.

I was listening to two girls on some programme last night who were born just after Wales voted for the assembly. One of them was banging on about how decisions that would benefit Wales needed to be made in Wales. I thought to myself if you Substitute Caerdiff for Wales then you are right love. She was from Dinas Powys mind.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

Swansea '10 to 15 years behind Cardiff' on 11:38 - Jun 29 with 2621 viewswestside

What do these organisations like Centre For Cities expect when everything has been put in Cardiff, fortunes have been thrown at Cardiff without equivalent money being spent around Wales and things are being taken away from other places in Wales like Swansea and put in Cardiff.

Maybe they should go and see Cardiff Carwyn to complain
Swansea '10 to 15 years behind Cardiff' on 11:59 - Jun 29 with 2580 viewscmajack

Be thankful for what we have .are you serious .the city centre is an absolute disgrace and an embarressment to what is the second city of Wales.in my working capacity i am often asked by people outside of Swansea to take them to the main shopping area. (the quadrant).i think you're not going to be very long in there.between the Welsh government and the council of Swansea over the years they have let the residents of Swansea down very badly.
Swansea '10 to 15 years behind Cardiff' on 12:10 - Jun 29 with 2542 viewsPrivate_Partz

Swansea '10 to 15 years behind Cardiff' on 11:38 - Jun 29 by westside

What do these organisations like Centre For Cities expect when everything has been put in Cardiff, fortunes have been thrown at Cardiff without equivalent money being spent around Wales and things are being taken away from other places in Wales like Swansea and put in Cardiff.

Maybe they should go and see Cardiff Carwyn to complain

Good point. This report really is a 'No sh!t Sherlock one'. The time gap between Cardiff and the rest of Wales will only increase if things carry on as they are.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Swansea '10 to 15 years behind Cardiff' on 12:12 - Jun 29 with 2537 viewsFlashberryjack

Swansea '10 to 15 years behind Cardiff' on 11:59 - Jun 29 by cmajack

Be thankful for what we have .are you serious .the city centre is an absolute disgrace and an embarressment to what is the second city of Wales.in my working capacity i am often asked by people outside of Swansea to take them to the main shopping area. (the quadrant).i think you're not going to be very long in there.between the Welsh government and the council of Swansea over the years they have let the residents of Swansea down very badly.

You need to pop down the marina, it's a shyte hole and a bloody disgrace.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Swansea '10 to 15 years behind Cardiff' on 13:49 - Jun 29 with 2324 viewsfelixstowe_jack

The Marina is so bad it has been awarded blue flag status one of only three in Wales.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Swansea '10 to 15 years behind Cardiff' on 14:42 - Jun 29 with 2274 viewsFlashberryjack

Swansea '10 to 15 years behind Cardiff' on 13:49 - Jun 29 by felixstowe_jack

The Marina is so bad it has been awarded blue flag status one of only three in Wales.

The Marina in Swansea has been awarded blue flag status ? Either you're mistaken, you're taking the p*ss or the person/persons responsible for giving these awards is partially or totally blind, the actual Marina is a shyte hole with a capital S.

Hello

Swansea '10 to 15 years behind Cardiff' on 14:47 - Jun 29 with 2262 viewsraynor94

Swansea '10 to 15 years behind Cardiff' on 14:42 - Jun 29 by Flashberryjack

The Marina in Swansea has been awarded blue flag status ? Either you're mistaken, you're taking the p*ss or the person/persons responsible for giving these awards is partially or totally blind, the actual Marina is a shyte hole with a capital S.

100% agree walked around there last week, the neglect by the Council is truly shocking

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Swansea '10 to 15 years behind Cardiff' on 15:37 - Jun 29 with 2199 viewsmajorraglan

Swansea '10 to 15 years behind Cardiff' on 10:48 - Jun 29 by dickythorpe

I can't agree with this. I think it's imporantant that we do compare Swansea (and the adjacent areas) with Cardiff and Cities further afield and that we strive to make the Swansea Bay a vibrant and prosperous area which attracts high quality well paid jobs to the region. I read the other day that the proportion of elderly people in Carmarthenshire was amongst the highest in the UK, West Wales is exporting talented young people and if we are to ensure our future propsperity we need to retain and attract more talented young people.

Swansea City Centre is a mess, the access roads into the City are terrible, the retail area is spread out over a large area between the Kingsway, Quadrant, Oxford Street and Parc Tawe, on top of that we have the enterprise zone, Forestfach and Parc Trostre (don't get me started on Llanelli) areas which draw trade from the City centre. It's a sprawl and mess.
There's a fantastic bay, a sea front walk and so much more could be done to improve the area. Swansea and the Bay Area needs some real investment and bendy buses ain't cutting it.
Swansea '10 to 15 years behind Cardiff' on 16:02 - Jun 29 with 2160 viewsFlashberryjack

Swansea '10 to 15 years behind Cardiff' on 15:37 - Jun 29 by majorraglan

I can't agree with this. I think it's imporantant that we do compare Swansea (and the adjacent areas) with Cardiff and Cities further afield and that we strive to make the Swansea Bay a vibrant and prosperous area which attracts high quality well paid jobs to the region. I read the other day that the proportion of elderly people in Carmarthenshire was amongst the highest in the UK, West Wales is exporting talented young people and if we are to ensure our future propsperity we need to retain and attract more talented young people.

Swansea City Centre is a mess, the access roads into the City are terrible, the retail area is spread out over a large area between the Kingsway, Quadrant, Oxford Street and Parc Tawe, on top of that we have the enterprise zone, Forestfach and Parc Trostre (don't get me started on Llanelli) areas which draw trade from the City centre. It's a sprawl and mess.
There's a fantastic bay, a sea front walk and so much more could be done to improve the area. Swansea and the Bay Area needs some real investment and bendy buses ain't cutting it.

Absolutely, the attitude of "lets enjoy what we've got" is exactly why Swansea has been left behind.

Hello

Swansea '10 to 15 years behind Cardiff' on 16:24 - Jun 29 with 2127 viewswaynekerr55

Swansea '10 to 15 years behind Cardiff' on 16:02 - Jun 29 by Flashberryjack

Absolutely, the attitude of "lets enjoy what we've got" is exactly why Swansea has been left behind.

This, in spades.

Quite how the OP has been down-arrowed is beyond me.

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Swansea '10 to 15 years behind Cardiff' on 18:27 - Jun 29 with 2031 viewsdickythorpe

Well everyone is entitled to their opinion and I fully understand what many are saying.

However the City of Swansea is totally set out differently from Cardiff (if we are to compare), the disruption any redevelopment causes to our City has always been a problem.

I like the City. I do understand that it isn't "knit" together like others are.

Maybe I lack the "vision" of others or I am easily pleased but I don't think we have a lot to grumble about.
Swansea '10 to 15 years behind Cardiff' on 18:56 - Jun 29 with 1986 viewsFlashberryjack

Swansea '10 to 15 years behind Cardiff' on 18:27 - Jun 29 by dickythorpe

Well everyone is entitled to their opinion and I fully understand what many are saying.

However the City of Swansea is totally set out differently from Cardiff (if we are to compare), the disruption any redevelopment causes to our City has always been a problem.

Maybe I lack the "vision" of others or I am easily pleased but I don't think we have a lot to grumble about.

As you've said, everyone's entitled to an opinion, but I strongly disagree with you, I think we've got a hell of a lot to grumble about in comparison to Cardiff.

Swansea City is an absolute shyte hole, If any other City in the UK had the beautiful Gower beaches on it's doorstep it wouldn't have had the years of neglect we've seen down there.

The Cardiff Welsh Assembly members plus the inept and incompetent Swansea City Council should hang their heads in shame.

Hello

Swansea '10 to 15 years behind Cardiff' on 18:59 - Jun 29 with 1977 viewsperchrockjack

!

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Swansea '10 to 15 years behind Cardiff' on 18:59 - Jun 29 with 1977 viewsPrivate_Partz

Swansea '10 to 15 years behind Cardiff' on 18:27 - Jun 29 by dickythorpe

You are joking Dicky surely. Cardiff has suffered massive disruption while their metropolis is being built. Just look at the building works going on by Cardiff Central where BBC Cardiff's glass palace is being built.
This is just one tip of a massive iceberg. Public, Private, infrastructure, commercial and leisure investment and the disparity between the two are plenty to complain about. Not just us though. If you think we have it bad just look at the wasteland that is the rest of Wales. It has no real infrastructure to encourage any investment.
It comes to something when you can travel by car or train to Dover quicker than you can get to Llandudno.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Swansea '10 to 15 years behind Cardiff' on 19:03 - Jun 29 with 1969 viewsdickythorpe

Gower is heaven on Earth, reminds me a lot of the Lizard area of Cornwall.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024