Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brexit boom 11:57 - Jul 5 with 34607 viewsr0ckin

Won't tell you this in the express, mail, sun

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/uk-service-sector-miss-forecasts

notice eurozone doing very well.

If we said brexit was off the table tomorrow we'd be booming and we'd all be enjoying a pay rise. We are in for a gloomy few years all for nothing. It p1sses me off.
[Post edited 5 Jul 2017 11:59]

Peace

Brexit boom on 14:28 - Jul 11 with 1844 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Brexit boom on 09:36 - Jul 11 by westside

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/blogs/george-magnus/the-new-japan-eu-trade-ag

eu and japan doing a trade deal which uk will miss out on and could never do as good itself.

Australia has called for a free trade deal with Britain following its exit from the European Union.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Brexit boom on 15:18 - Jul 11 with 1816 viewslonglostjack

Brexit boom on 14:28 - Jul 11 by felixstowe_jack

Australia has called for a free trade deal with Britain following its exit from the European Union.

Welsh sheepfarmers will be delighted.

https://amp.weeklytimesnow.com.au/agribusiness/sheep/brexit-could-boost-australi

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Brexit boom on 15:50 - Jul 11 with 1800 viewsHighjack

Brexit boom on 15:18 - Jul 11 by longlostjack

Welsh sheepfarmers will be delighted.

https://amp.weeklytimesnow.com.au/agribusiness/sheep/brexit-could-boost-australi

Yes they will, because now they can sell their meat in Australia.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Brexit boom on 16:10 - Jul 11 with 1794 viewslonglostjack

Brexit boom on 15:50 - Jul 11 by Highjack

Yes they will, because now they can sell their meat in Australia.

How many consumers are there in Australia compared to the EU ? Germany and Sweden have also opened their borders recently to a number of people who are very partial to a nice bit of lamb so the market is growing.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Brexit boom on 16:38 - Jul 11 with 1788 viewsLeonWasGod

I know it will surprise many, but we have some major meat export markets outside the EU already including China and Middle East countries. Australia is well down the list of priorities as they're an exporter (as the link says above - the sheep club of GB think that lifting import quotas from Oz will hammer the UK sheep farmer).

So on paper this looks like a stupid idea (for meat products; I'm sure it might be good for other things the Aussies might actually want).
Brexit boom on 19:31 - Jul 11 with 1760 viewssherpajacob

Interestingly when UK originally applied to join eec in 1960s both Denmark and Eire applied at the same time because their agricultural trade was so dependent on the UK.

When De Gaulle vetoed the UK, Eire and Denmark withdrew their applications, and they then eventually joined with us in 1973.

Are they now looking to leave with us?

Feck no!, they're not that stupid.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Brexit boom on 02:30 - Jul 12 with 1721 viewsDJack

Brexit boom on 04:45 - Jul 10 by Swans777

More nonsense, I'm afraid.
File under, George Osborne's emergency budget and Obama's back of the queue.

and again the Brexit

http://uk.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-banks-idUKKBN19W1VS?il

More nonsense then?

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Brexit boom on 08:25 - Jul 12 with 1694 viewsKerouac

I love how all these lefties are now arguing in the interests of International Banking.

That article amounts to the banks trying to dictate to the UK government and people what should we do and on what timetable or they will move a few thousand jobs in London...which they would need to move to Europe anyway if we are to believe a word that comes out of the EU Commission.

Big f*cking deal.
Get on with it banks.
Spare us your threats, enjoy EU regulation, don't let the door hit you on the arse.

The fecking Labour party, what a tragedy it has become.
The 'Middle class, public sector employee, City of London' Party more like....oh I missed out LGBT yet Islamic, anti-semitic, anti-democratic, anti-British, anti-American, pro-German, lying b*stard, slandering, tragedy vulture, SCUM, party as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

Login to get fewer ads

Brexit boom on 08:35 - Jul 12 with 1688 viewsJack_Meoff

Brexit boom on 08:25 - Jul 12 by Kerouac

I love how all these lefties are now arguing in the interests of International Banking.

That article amounts to the banks trying to dictate to the UK government and people what should we do and on what timetable or they will move a few thousand jobs in London...which they would need to move to Europe anyway if we are to believe a word that comes out of the EU Commission.

Big f*cking deal.
Get on with it banks.
Spare us your threats, enjoy EU regulation, don't let the door hit you on the arse.

The 'Middle class, public sector employee, City of London' Party more like....oh I missed out LGBT yet Islamic, anti-semitic, anti-democratic, anti-British, anti-American, pro-German, lying b*stard, slandering, tragedy vulture, SCUM, party as well.

You don't half spin one post to suit your own personal agenda. WTF did the link about banking have to do with 'all these lefties' and 'The fecking Labour party?'

You really didn't need your first and last paragraphs because you make valid points in the others mun.

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

Brexit boom on 09:03 - Jul 12 with 1668 viewsBatterseajack

Brexit boom on 08:25 - Jul 12 by Kerouac

Big f*cking deal.
Get on with it banks.

It's UK jobs and tax revenue that will be lost. The argument that jobs would move abroad was always argued by the remain campaign but was dismissed as project fear.

why would a Euro clearing arm of banks be situated outside the European Union where each transaction incurred a tariff?
Brexit boom on 09:22 - Jul 12 with 1659 viewsLeonWasGod

Brexit boom on 02:30 - Jul 12 by DJack

and again the Brexit

http://uk.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-banks-idUKKBN19W1VS?il

More nonsense then?

Looks like the City is still pushing for a transition deal and a lot of this is bluster/posturing to try and force the government's hand.

But then it also says that staff have already been moved out, so hard to know what's going on unless you're on the inside.

Brexit is likely to be a complete clusterf*ck, but I'm still skeptical of these sorts of articles. The one thing about having weak government is that they may cave in easily to demands from businesses for essentially state sponsorship (or 'incentives' as they like to call it). They did with DUP, they did with Nissan, they did with the money they suddenly found for the Industrial Strategy Research Fund (£2bn by 2020/21).

Not easy to keep giving concessions though while the economy appears to be struggling compared to other countries.
Brexit boom on 09:53 - Jul 12 with 1645 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Latest employment figures out today.
Record number of people in work
Unemployed rate down

Main points for March to May 2017
Estimates from the Labour Force Survey show that, between December 2016 to February 2017 and March to May 2017, the number of people in work increased, the number of unemployed people fell, and the number of people aged from 16 to 64 not working and not seeking or available to work (economically inactive) also fell.available to work), 64,000 fewer than for December 2016 to February 2017 and 152,000 fewer than for a year earlier.
The unemployment rate (the proportion of those in work plus those unemployed, that were unemployed) was 4.5%, down from 4.9% for a year earlier and the lowest since 1975.
There were 32.01 million people in work, 175,000 more than for December 2016 to February 2017 and 324,000 more than for a year earlier.
The employment rate (the proportion of people aged from 16 to 64 who were in work) was 74.9%, the highest since comparable records began in 1971.
There were 1.49 million unemployed people (people not in work but seeking and available to work), 64,000 fewer than for December 2016 to February 2017 and 152,000 fewer than for a year earlier.
The unemployment rate (the proportion of those in work plus those unemployed, that were unemployed) was 4.5%, down from 4.9% for a year earlier and the lowest since 1975.
There were 8.83 million people aged from 16 to 64 who were economically inactive (not working and not seeking or available to work), 57,000 fewer than for December 2016 to February 2017 and 55,000 fewer than for a year earlier.

Only 4 Countries out of 28 In the EU have LOWER unemployment rates than the UK. Looks like it is the EU economy that is struggling and not the UK.

Brexit boom on 10:19 - Jul 12 with 1617 viewsLeonWasGod

Brexit boom on 09:53 - Jul 12 by felixstowe_jack

Unemployed rate down

Estimates from the Labour Force Survey show that, between December 2016 to February 2017 and March to May 2017, the number of people in work increased, the number of unemployed people fell, and the number of people aged from 16 to 64 not working and not seeking or available to work (economically inactive) also fell.available to work), 64,000 fewer than for December 2016 to February 2017 and 152,000 fewer than for a year earlier.
There were 32.01 million people in work, 175,000 more than for December 2016 to February 2017 and 324,000 more than for a year earlier.
The employment rate (the proportion of people aged from 16 to 64 who were in work) was 74.9%, the highest since comparable records began in 1971.
There were 1.49 million unemployed people (people not in work but seeking and available to work), 64,000 fewer than for December 2016 to February 2017 and 152,000 fewer than for a year earlier.
There were 8.83 million people aged from 16 to 64 who were economically inactive (not working and not seeking or available to work), 57,000 fewer than for December 2016 to February 2017 and 55,000 fewer than for a year earlier.

Only 4 Countries out of 28 In the EU have LOWER unemployment rates than the UK. Looks like it is the EU economy that is struggling and not the UK.

That's great, but isn't necessarily a reliable indicator of the strength of the economy. And it hides the issue about the falling value of wages, set against the increasing inflation as the fall in the value of the pound hits. The result is that more people classed as in poverty are now working than those who don't have jobs. In-work poverty at an all-time high. So jobs are great (as it's not all about money) but people are getting poorer.

We're also currently the poorest performing economy in the EU, with the latest service sector figures dragging us down and consumer spending at a low (the two things that have been supporting us since the recession) - http://uk.businessinsider.com/uk-economy-business-output-heads-for-contraction-s

Let's be optimistic and go for any new opportunities Brexit brings, sure, but anyone's got to be nuts to think we're in some sort of great position right now.
Brexit boom on 10:49 - Jul 12 with 1597 viewsfelixstowe_jack

You seem to have picked a very selective estimate have a look at this one.

https://tradingeconomics.com/european-union/gdp-annual-growth-rate

You find the UK at 2% against the EU average of 1.9% which means the UK is performing better than the EU average and is therefore not the worst economy in the EU.

Brexit boom on 10:55 - Jul 12 with 1596 viewsKerouac

Brexit boom on 10:19 - Jul 12 by LeonWasGod

That's great, but isn't necessarily a reliable indicator of the strength of the economy. And it hides the issue about the falling value of wages, set against the increasing inflation as the fall in the value of the pound hits. The result is that more people classed as in poverty are now working than those who don't have jobs. In-work poverty at an all-time high. So jobs are great (as it's not all about money) but people are getting poorer.

We're also currently the poorest performing economy in the EU, with the latest service sector figures dragging us down and consumer spending at a low (the two things that have been supporting us since the recession) - http://uk.businessinsider.com/uk-economy-business-output-heads-for-contraction-s

Let's be optimistic and go for any new opportunities Brexit brings, sure, but anyone's got to be nuts to think we're in some sort of great position right now.

I in no way believe us to be in a great position right now.
I see this period as the end of our fight to restore belief in the state of our public finances (a necessary and massive readjustment following our exposure to the financial crash).
I see Brexit as the beginning of a reset in geopolitics that allows us to make the changes we need to make in order that our reshaped, rebalanced, economy should become more prosperous in the future.
I think it likely that we won't start to see the fruits of Brexit for at least another decade...I am looking long term, though I'm sure 'Remainers' will seize on every bit of short term volatility in order to try and delay and ultimately stop Brexit.

I believe that the EU, as it is presently constructed, is finished. European elites should have seen it coming and been more flexible to reform from within, now it's too late and I genuinely hope it doesn't get messy on the continent.

Brexit boom on 11:13 - Jul 12 with 1576 viewsLeonWasGod

Brexit boom on 10:49 - Jul 12 by felixstowe_jack

You seem to have picked a very selective estimate have a look at this one.

https://tradingeconomics.com/european-union/gdp-annual-growth-rate

You find the UK at 2% against the EU average of 1.9% which means the UK is performing better than the EU average and is therefore not the worst economy in the EU.

I haven't been selective at all - it the "current" situation, as I said. The most recently reported figures are for the first quarter of this year. They are what they are. Your link is for the annual figures, which are better. But analysts are concerned about flatlining performance of the UK economy against an improving situation in the EU (and globally) as shown by the latest set of figures.

http://www.independent.co.uk/News/business/news/gdp-brexit-europe-uk-economy-wea

There's a lot of variability over time though, so hopefully it's just a blip.
Brexit boom on 11:32 - Jul 12 with 1562 viewsKerouac

Watch the video clip here;
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/827619/Brexit-news-latest-David-Davis-Guy-Verho

...how many in the Labour Party have ever had a job which didn't depend on the state or a political party?

Brexit boom on 11:51 - Jul 12 with 1547 viewsLeonWasGod

Brexit boom on 11:32 - Jul 12 by Kerouac

Watch the video clip here;
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/827619/Brexit-news-latest-David-Davis-Guy-Verho

...how many in the Labour Party have ever had a job which didn't depend on the state or a political party?

He doesn't say a lot there other than not answering the question about how he'd protect UK companies in the event of a dispute over non-payment (because he doesn't know I suspect).

I'm sure something will happen but it's the not knowing that's turning companies off. It's about time they started coming up with some plans and certainties to reassure companies, not just empty platitudes and soundbites and smug swerving of questions.

As an aside, how bad is the spelling in that article . Typos, 'their' instead of 'there'. It's a rag.

[Post edited 12 Jul 2017 12:41]
Brexit boom on 11:54 - Jul 12 with 1546 viewsHighjack

Brexit boom on 11:51 - Jul 12 by LeonWasGod

He doesn't say a lot there other than not answering the question about how he'd protect UK companies in the event of a dispute over non-payment (because he doesn't know I suspect).

I'm sure something will happen but it's the not knowing that's turning companies off. It's about time they started coming up with some plans and certainties to reassure companies, not just empty platitudes and soundbites and smug swerving of questions.

As an aside, how bad is the spelling in that article . Typos, 'their' instead of 'there'. It's a rag.

[Post edited 12 Jul 2017 12:41]

instead

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

Brexit boom on 11:57 - Jul 12 with 1545 viewsLeonWasGod

Brexit boom on 11:54 - Jul 12 by Highjack

instead

Smartass
Brexit boom on 12:24 - Jul 12 with 1526 viewsHighjack

"their" instead of "their"

Brexit boom on 12:38 - Jul 12 with 1517 viewsLeonWasGod

Brexit boom on 12:24 - Jul 12 by Highjack

"their" instead of "their"

Deliberate
Brexit boom on 15:22 - Jul 12 with 1481 viewsdailew

Brexit boom on 09:53 - Jul 12 by felixstowe_jack

Unemployed rate down

Those unemployment figures are a bit of a joke.

1.5m more "self-employed" since WTC were introduced. Mostly scamming it.

Add those to the figures and things don't look so good. Also millions in higher education doing useless degrees. Millions doing just 16hrs.

If you count people doing useful productive work I imagine the UKs figures would be worse than most Eu countries.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2017 15:33]

Poll: Would you like Rodgers back as the new manager ?

Brexit boom on 16:49 - Jul 12 with 1458 viewsfelixstowe_jack

If there are so many jobs in the EU why have over 3,000,000 EU citizens come to the UK to work? The reason is simple more jobs and better pay in the UK compared to the most Countries in the EU.

Brexit boom on 16:56 - Jul 12 with 1453 viewsjack247

Brexit boom on 15:22 - Jul 12 by dailew

Those unemployment figures are a bit of a joke.

1.5m more "self-employed" since WTC were introduced. Mostly scamming it.

Add those to the figures and things don't look so good. Also millions in higher education doing useless degrees. Millions doing just 16hrs.

If you count people doing useful productive work I imagine the UKs figures would be worse than most Eu countries.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2017 15:33]

I doubt there are 'millions' either studying for useless degrees or working 16 hours. There are only 60 odd million of us in total.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024