Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mayals Common Safe Access Way 16:37 - Jul 10 with 2447 viewsunion_jack

I am helping as part if a group to get as many signatures as we can to lobby the council in order for them to provide a safe access route for cyclists and pedestrians alike across Clyne Common.

The Common itself is a 60 mph riad but us frequently used by pedestrians, including kids going to Bishopston School, as well as cyclists. There are obvious benefits to that cohort but also to motorists who would not then be hampered by such users.

Also, the Common is a major gateway to the Gower Peninsula and we should be doing everything we can to encourage tourists to the area. Safe roads for walkers and cyclists could only be a benefit in that sense.

The petition is being very well supported and between us we collected nearly 180 signatures at Pennard Carnival on the weekend.

Such a facility, as I have said, would be to everyone's benefit so can I ask my fellow jacks to add your electronic paw prints at the link below.

It doesn't matter where you live or come from.

Many thanks.

https://www.change.org/p/city-and-county-of-swansea-council-a-shared-use-path-fo

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Mayals Common Safe Access Way on 16:49 - Jul 10 with 2434 viewspikeypaul

Signed.

I occasionally cycle along there on my way to Southgate and it can be a bit nerve wrecking.

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

Mayals Common Safe Access Way on 17:50 - Jul 10 with 2390 viewsjack_lord

Just to clarify, a new path that is alongside the road for cars and not hindering cars, so cyclists and pedestrians are safe and cars aren't held up in any way by bike wnkrs. I think it is a brilliant idea.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

Mayals Common Safe Access Way on 18:05 - Jul 10 with 2381 viewsunion_jack

Mayals Common Safe Access Way on 17:50 - Jul 10 by jack_lord

Just to clarify, a new path that is alongside the road for cars and not hindering cars, so cyclists and pedestrians are safe and cars aren't held up in any way by bike wnkrs. I think it is a brilliant idea.

May not quite be the terminology I would use but you've seen the advantages to all road users by the sounds of it

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:14 - Jul 10 with 2374 viewsjack247

100% behind this. Great idea
[Post edited 10 Jul 2017 18:14]
Mayals Common Safe Access Way on 18:16 - Jul 10 with 2362 viewsjack247

Mayals Common Safe Access Way on 17:50 - Jul 10 by jack_lord

And so no one gets run over. Great all round
Mayals Common Safe Access Way on 18:21 - Jul 10 with 2352 viewsJackfath

This has been on the cards for many a year. I believe the stumbling block is the land owner. Good luck to you in your quest.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Mayals Common Safe Access Way on 18:58 - Jul 10 with 2318 viewsunion_jack

Mayals Common Safe Access Way on 18:21 - Jul 10 by Jackfath

This has been on the cards for many a year. I believe the stumbling block is the land owner. Good luck to you in your quest.

Thanks. I've heard that bed-fire but there is land either side I'm sure could be adapted.

I'll leave that to the experts though.

Nothing is impossible if the will is there!

Mayals Common Safe Access Way on 19:53 - Jul 10 with 2286 viewsJackfath

Mayals Common Safe Access Way on 18:58 - Jul 10 by union_jack

Thanks. I've heard that bed-fire but there is land either side I'm sure could be adapted.

I'll leave that to the experts though.

Nothing is impossible if the will is there!

I remember the proposals for a road continuing on from the top of west cross lane and up onto the common. I also think there was a supermarket involved hoping to capitalise on the scheme. That was scuppered too.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.

Login to get fewer ads

Mayals Common Safe Access Way on 19:56 - Jul 10 with 2278 viewsLoyal

Making he enjoys the dogging that goes on there, as you know.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Mayals Common Safe Access Way on 19:59 - Jul 10 with 2266 viewsJackfath

This may be of interest also.

http://www.swansea.gov.uk/media/21935/Mumbles-integrated-network-map/pdf/Mumbles

Mayals Common Safe Access Way on 20:03 - Jul 10 with 2256 viewsunion_jack

Mayals Common Safe Access Way on 19:53 - Jul 10 by Jackfath

I remember the proposals for a road continuing on from the top of west cross lane and up onto the common. I also think there was a supermarket involved hoping to capitalise on the scheme. That was scuppered too.

The campaign needs a critical mass behind it which this exercise will hopefully play its part.

The more people voicing an opinion, the more they have to listen.

But it's not going to be easy. Most worthwhile things aren't.

Mayals Common Safe Access Way on 20:06 - Jul 10 with 2253 viewsdickythorpe

Signed and good luck
Mayals Common Safe Access Way on 21:52 - Jul 10 with 2191 viewsjack2jack

Is it common land all the way on both sides,if so it'll take years to sort out.
Mayals Common Safe Access Way on 22:01 - Jul 10 with 2181 viewsjack247

Mayals Common Safe Access Way on 21:52 - Jul 10 by jack2jack

Is it common land all the way on both sides,if so it'll take years to sort out.

I would guess so. It's certainly not well maintained. Pretty much just scrubland. Wouldn't be surprised if there was a landowner refusing to allow development on it, but a foot/cycle path may be a different matter?

It's quite a dangerous road, 1 lane each way, no pavement and a lot of it is 60mph. I wouldn't be overly confident running or cycling on it.
Mayals Common Safe Access Way on 22:10 - Jul 10 with 2171 viewsjack2jack

Mayals Common Safe Access Way on 22:01 - Jul 10 by jack247

I would guess so. It's certainly not well maintained. Pretty much just scrubland. Wouldn't be surprised if there was a landowner refusing to allow development on it, but a foot/cycle path may be a different matter?

It's quite a dangerous road, 1 lane each way, no pavement and a lot of it is 60mph. I wouldn't be overly confident running or cycling on it.

It's an absolute minefield sorting out land issues,like I said could take years,agree it's not a very safe road for cyclists and peds,a footpath would open things up for all users.
Mayals Common Safe Access Way on 18:46 - Jul 11 with 2037 viewsjack_lord

If a child lives at the top of Mayals, are they in The Bishopston catchment area?
If so, and it is less than two miles, are they expected to walk along that road if they have no private transport?

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

Mayals Common Safe Access Way on 21:10 - Jul 11 with 1984 viewsjack247

Mayals Common Safe Access Way on 18:46 - Jul 11 by jack_lord

If a child lives at the top of Mayals, are they in The Bishopston catchment area?
If so, and it is less than two miles, are they expected to walk along that road if they have no private transport?

There's often a load of school kids waiting for a bus there, seem to be on both sides of the road so I don't know if some go to Bishopston some to Bishop Gore?

In fairness, you never see kids walking across the common to school. You often see cyclists and joggers though. A path surely wouldn't cost that much, would be well used and would immediately alleviate the safety issues of people using a fast road with no pavement. I get the point about red tape though.
Mayals Common Safe Access Way on 21:43 - Jul 11 with 1960 viewsunion_jack

Mayals Common Safe Access Way on 21:10 - Jul 11 by jack247

There's often a load of school kids waiting for a bus there, seem to be on both sides of the road so I don't know if some go to Bishopston some to Bishop Gore?

In fairness, you never see kids walking across the common to school. You often see cyclists and joggers though. A path surely wouldn't cost that much, would be well used and would immediately alleviate the safety issues of people using a fast road with no pavement. I get the point about red tape though.

Though not often, I have seen schoolchildren walk over the Common on numerous occasions. It certainly does happen.

Mayals Common Safe Access Way on 08:37 - Jul 12 with 1893 viewsBrynCartwright

Signed it

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

Mayals Common Safe Access Way on 09:02 - Jul 12 with 1878 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Signed it.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Mayals Common Safe Access Way on 09:17 - Jul 12 with 1865 viewsBatterseajack

A footpath would be more achievable as it would be a lot narrower than a combined cycle/footpath. A proper bike lane/path needs a surprisingly lot of maintenance to make usable. You wouldn't see many road cyclist use it if sections of it have been uplifted from roots or hasn't been cleared if debris.

Signed
[Post edited 12 Jul 2017 18:15]
Mayals Common Safe Access Way on 09:27 - Jul 12 with 1854 viewsjack247

Mayals Common Safe Access Way on 09:17 - Jul 12 by Batterseajack

A footpath would be more achievable as it would be a lot narrower than a combined cycle/footpath. A proper bike lane/path needs a surprisingly lot of maintenance to make usable. You wouldn't see many road cyclist use it if sections of it have been uplifted from roots or hasn't been cleared if debris.

Signed
[Post edited 12 Jul 2017 18:15]

Fair point
Mayals Common Safe Access Way on 09:36 - Jul 12 with 1850 viewsLeonWasGod

Mayals Common Safe Access Way on 21:43 - Jul 11 by union_jack

Though not often, I have seen schoolchildren walk over the Common on numerous occasions. It certainly does happen.

Yeah, I drive along there every day and you do see school kids sometimes walking along the edge of that road (and it's a crap verge to walk on). There are always cyclists commuting on it every morning and evening. And then it sees plenty of bike traffic and a fair few runners at the weekends.

I've biked, run and walked along there and it's not pleasant at all. Especially during rush hour.

Lovely run from Bishopston though if you miss out the road completely, go down manselfield Road, Reigit Lane and then across the common, crossing the road at the gates and then across Clyn Common, across the golf course towards Blackhills lane, then cut back along the path past Clyne Farm, down the hill to St Catwg walk, in the top end of Clyn Gardens and then down to the beach. It's about 8-9 miles from Bish to the Liberty that way
Mayals Common Safe Access Way on 11:13 - Jul 12 with 1817 viewsjack247

Mayals Common Safe Access Way on 09:36 - Jul 12 by LeonWasGod

Yeah, I drive along there every day and you do see school kids sometimes walking along the edge of that road (and it's a crap verge to walk on). There are always cyclists commuting on it every morning and evening. And then it sees plenty of bike traffic and a fair few runners at the weekends.

I've biked, run and walked along there and it's not pleasant at all. Especially during rush hour.

Lovely run from Bishopston though if you miss out the road completely, go down manselfield Road, Reigit Lane and then across the common, crossing the road at the gates and then across Clyn Common, across the golf course towards Blackhills lane, then cut back along the path past Clyne Farm, down the hill to St Catwg walk, in the top end of Clyn Gardens and then down to the beach. It's about 8-9 miles from Bish to the Liberty that way

Fair enough, I stand corrected. It's even more vital this gets sorted out quickly if there are kids walking along a road like that.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024