Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swansea in the running for 2021 UK City of Culture 02:43 - Jul 15 with 1764 viewsDJack

Attempt number 2.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-40613522

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Swansea in the running for 2021 UK City of Culture on 09:02 - Jul 15 with 1714 viewsPrivate_Partz

I really hope we learn from our mistakes last time and look at the campaigns of those that have been successful. Swansea is as deserving of this as any area but we must up our game from the half baked effort last time.
I am not sure if the winner gets that much benefit but if it meant the refurb of the Albert Hall, Palace and Elysium then it would be fine by me.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Swansea in the running for 2021 UK City of Culture on 10:37 - Jul 15 with 1670 viewswestside

Wouldn't be surprised if Paisley won it as the Westminster tory government want to win more tory seats in Scotland to fight against the SNP.

Last time Hull won it because the Westminster government wanted to be seen to be doing something for the North of England after so much spent down south on the London Olympics, Crossrail, etc
[Post edited 15 Jul 2017 10:37]
Swansea in the running for 2021 UK City of Culture on 10:57 - Jul 15 with 1650 viewsnicky

I wonder if the Hafod bypass will be finished in time for this!!!
Swansea in the running for 2021 UK City of Culture on 15:45 - Jul 15 with 1589 viewsDJack

Swansea in the running for 2021 UK City of Culture on 10:37 - Jul 15 by westside

Wouldn't be surprised if Paisley won it as the Westminster tory government want to win more tory seats in Scotland to fight against the SNP.

Last time Hull won it because the Westminster government wanted to be seen to be doing something for the North of England after so much spent down south on the London Olympics, Crossrail, etc
[Post edited 15 Jul 2017 10:37]

Cynical thinking... but I won't disagree with you.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Swansea in the running for 2021 UK City of Culture on 16:24 - Jul 15 with 1550 viewsplasjack

Swansea in the running for 2021 UK City of Culture on 10:57 - Jul 15 by nicky

I wonder if the Hafod bypass will be finished in time for this!!!

Same firm that did work around Tesco, and that took ages.
Swansea in the running for 2021 UK City of Culture on 17:46 - Jul 15 with 1512 viewsfelixstowe_jack

I don't think they have even started on the stretch from the new Hitachi train depot to the Strand.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Swansea in the running for 2021 UK City of Culture on 19:46 - Jul 15 with 1441 viewsdickythorpe

We'll I can't see St David's getting it unless they do a park and ride scheme from the Severn Bridge for visitors! The roads after Haverfordwest won't cope and it's debatable whether they'd cope past Whitland
Swansea in the running for 2021 UK City of Culture on 20:35 - Jul 15 with 1404 viewsABERSWAN

Swansea in the running for 2021 UK City of Culture on 19:46 - Jul 15 by dickythorpe

We'll I can't see St David's getting it unless they do a park and ride scheme from the Severn Bridge for visitors! The roads after Haverfordwest won't cope and it's debatable whether they'd cope past Whitland

St David's didn't make the cut.
Login to get fewer ads

Swansea in the running for 2021 UK City of Culture on 09:04 - Jul 16 with 1309 viewsowainglyndwr

Let's hope we get it this time it will help with the swansea Bay regeneration
Swansea in the running for 2021 UK City of Culture on 10:43 - Jul 16 with 1262 viewsYossarian

Swansea in the running for 2021 UK City of Culture on 09:04 - Jul 16 by owainglyndwr

Let's hope we get it this time it will help with the swansea Bay regeneration

Will that make any difference? With a completely unrealistic schedule the city wouldn't even be a building site by the time this 'honour' comes around. Surely even the most optimistic and positive person realises that the City Council are synonymous with catastrophic decision-making and can't deliver, the WAG is all talk and no real influence and although SouthWales was generally pro-Brexit, we're just not politically relevant to central government by the way we generally voted in the General Election. I predict that it won't matter a jot and the City Centre will continue to deteriorate. It's already a disgrace and should be a source of national embarrassment and shame but without sustainable sources of wealth around us, anything else is a pipe dream. Reality check- the biggest source of sustainable wealth in the region is the University- by virtue of Chinese money. I've depressed myself now and I off out for a walk on the Gower....ah, tourism...there's an opportunity gone begging for donkeys years....

"Yossarian- the very sight of the name made him shudder.There were so many esses in it. It just had to be subversive" (Catch 22)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024