Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Squad 02:30 - Jul 16 with 3355 viewsParsSwans

Don't get carried away with friendlies or pre season hysteria but one thing is FACT as I stated same time last year squad is thread ear worse than at same point last year. Second half side was scary only two would even be considered for starting eleven. I stated also after a handful of games for us Mawson would become captain he ain't ready for it but shows how few leaders we have if any bar Britton and Rangel. Sell Siggi please and invest in five quality players selling cork was good business but we are so short in centre midfield it's scary. New RB centre half one centre mid and AM to replace Gylfi and another CF
Squad on 06:20 - Jul 16 with 2690 viewskeith_gatebroth

I thought the first half side looked scary too, against weak opposition they were very poor.
Squad on 08:28 - Jul 16 with 2518 views34dfgdf54

Squad is looking very weak.

How is this Gylfi thing dragging on still? I have a feeling he's staying put. We need to get some deals over the line sharpish though, reminding me of this time last year.
Squad on 08:36 - Jul 16 with 2474 viewsjack247

Our squad was thin last season. A month out injured for Gylfi, Llorente, Leon, arguably Naughton and either of our centre backs may well have sent us down. Since then, we have effectively swapped Mesa for Cork, but obviously Gylfi and Llorente are big question marks. I think Clement likes to work with a smallish squad and we are seeing what happens with those two before we bring in replacements.
Squad on 08:47 - Jul 16 with 2436 viewsEilian

Don't get your knickers in a twist mun.

When have we ever had all our signings in place by the start of preseason tour?

Yeah, the squad is thread bare. I'm confident that we will make signings. There is n way PC will be happy with the squad currently.

The best deals always take a little time. If they are done quickly then it's because some one has bitten someone else's hand off because someone thinks they are getting a bargain.

Patience is the answer
Squad on 08:47 - Jul 16 with 2436 viewsicecoldjack

Squad on 08:36 - Jul 16 by jack247

Our squad was thin last season. A month out injured for Gylfi, Llorente, Leon, arguably Naughton and either of our centre backs may well have sent us down. Since then, we have effectively swapped Mesa for Cork, but obviously Gylfi and Llorente are big question marks. I think Clement likes to work with a smallish squad and we are seeing what happens with those two before we bring in replacements.

Small squad high quality IMO is a good way to go ..only we seem to be lacking quality !

I also think if we are actually waiting to see what happens with Gylfi and Llorente then we are doomed to failiure and haven't learnt a thing , i'm hoping we can learn from mistakes in the past and get our replacements lined up before anyone leaves, no point in having a fortune to spend when it;s too late to use the money or the best options have gone on elsewhere.

Hopefully the delay in the gylfi transfer is because we are fixing our replacement and siggy wont be leaving unless we secure what we want first.
Squad on 08:53 - Jul 16 with 2401 viewslondonlisa2001

Squad on 08:28 - Jul 16 by 34dfgdf54

Squad is looking very weak.

How is this Gylfi thing dragging on still? I have a feeling he's staying put. We need to get some deals over the line sharpish though, reminding me of this time last year.

Because Everton haven't made a bid at a level that will allow us to save face?

Papers today appear to think it's imminent - who knows.

The reality is we've made one signing for the first team and one loan. Not spent a penny as yet. Not enough.

In huge need of reinforcement.
Squad on 09:01 - Jul 16 with 2367 viewsDr_Winston

We get these dramatics every summer.

Our squad as it stands is basically the same one that eventually finished well clear of relegation last season with the addition of Abraham and Mesa. The only player who played any real number of games who has left is Cork, and loads of people thought he was shit anyway.

We will sign more players. More players will leave. Calm down.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Squad on 09:10 - Jul 16 with 2308 viewsjack247

Squad on 09:01 - Jul 16 by Dr_Winston

Our squad as it stands is basically the same one that eventually finished well clear of relegation last season with the addition of Abraham and Mesa. The only player who played any real number of games who has left is Cork, and loads of people thought he was shit anyway.

Tend to agree with this.

Abraham for Borja
Mesa for Cork (although I think he will be a Leon replacement and we will bring in another central midfielder)
Bartley back for Amat.
Gomis and Tabanou gone

Gylfi and Llorente are the elephants in the room. Gut feeling is both will go and be replaced by 3/4 first team quality players.
Login to get fewer ads

Squad on 09:11 - Jul 16 with 2301 viewsLeonWasGod

Not quite, as yesterday had the glaring holes of Siggy and Llorente. They carried us last year and we'd have finished comfortably bottom with yesterday's lot to pick from. Early days still be there's a lot of work to do on ins and outs. Sharpness is the only thing we can rely on coming good. The rest needs a big effort from the boardroom.
Squad on 09:16 - Jul 16 with 2276 viewslondonlisa2001

Siggy is not part of our squad any longer although he technically is our player at present.

And I think the 'well clear' bit is missing the reality. We were one game away from probable relegation. And the game wasn't even one we played in.

I agree with not panicking, but our squad is quite clearly too weak.
Squad on 09:16 - Jul 16 with 2274 viewsDr_Winston

Squad on 09:11 - Jul 16 by LeonWasGod

Not quite, as yesterday had the glaring holes of Siggy and Llorente. They carried us last year and we'd have finished comfortably bottom with yesterday's lot to pick from. Early days still be there's a lot of work to do on ins and outs. Sharpness is the only thing we can rely on coming good. The rest needs a big effort from the boardroom.

If/when they leave then fair enough. Until they do then they're still Swansea players.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Squad on 10:08 - Jul 16 with 2135 views34dfgdf54

Squad on 09:16 - Jul 16 by londonlisa2001

Siggy is not part of our squad any longer although he technically is our player at present.

And I think the 'well clear' bit is missing the reality. We were one game away from probable relegation. And the game wasn't even one we played in.

I was confused with the "well clear" comment aswell.

Obviously the form under Clement was well above relegation standard, but I personally think the current squad, especially without Siggy would be nailed on relegation fodder.

Still early days I know, but it's hard not to get nervous when you know Huw is the one in charge of getting things done.
Squad on 10:15 - Jul 16 with 2103 viewsSwan91

Squad on 09:16 - Jul 16 by londonlisa2001

But that is because of previous managers... the games played under them were the reason we got to there... under PC the team looked good enough to be top 12.

The whole transfer with Llorente has gone quiet... so it's possible he will stay. That means we only need to replace gylfi from the first 11 at the moment.

Take in mind we are trying a different formation at the moment under PC so might take a little while to get used to it. We were so used to using llorente that now during pre season the players need to learn how to bring a striker like Ayew into the game.. not by crossing but by passing/through balls etc... thats not going to be perfect after only 2 friendlies.. thats why we have more to get the team used to each other in this different formation.
Squad on 10:21 - Jul 16 with 2080 viewsDr_Winston

Squad on 10:15 - Jul 16 by Swan91

But that is because of previous managers... the games played under them were the reason we got to there... under PC the team looked good enough to be top 12.

The whole transfer with Llorente has gone quiet... so it's possible he will stay. That means we only need to replace gylfi from the first 11 at the moment.

Take in mind we are trying a different formation at the moment under PC so might take a little while to get used to it. We were so used to using llorente that now during pre season the players need to learn how to bring a striker like Ayew into the game.. not by crossing but by passing/through balls etc... thats not going to be perfect after only 2 friendlies.. thats why we have more to get the team used to each other in this different formation.

Precisely.

Had we replaced Guidolin with Clement (or just kept Guidolin TBH) there's no way we'd have been in the mess we were in on NYE courtesy of Bobbo.

Squad on 10:36 - Jul 16 with 2015 viewslondonlisa2001

Squad on 10:15 - Jul 16 by Swan91

I agree with much of that. But we were also lucky with injuries. When we lost Naughton and Rangel we looked awful. And we relied heavily on set pieces, with our main taker now leaving.

As a minimum we need to replace Siggy, add another right back and add another creative wide player / attacking midfielder. I'd also like another central midfielder to be honest leaving Fer & Ki as back ups. Even then I'd be worried about centre half.

I'd get rid of Montero and Barrow, probably Dyer as well and one of VDH / Bartley.

Edited - oh God, forgot about Grimes. Get rid of Grimes.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2017 10:37]
Squad on 10:43 - Jul 16 with 1976 viewsnantywatcher

I think we might well have the most negatively minded fan base on the planet Earth. Over a month before the season starts and we're already doomed to 20th place.
Squad on 10:47 - Jul 16 with 1958 viewslondonlisa2001

Squad on 10:43 - Jul 16 by nantywatcher

I think we might well have the most negatively minded fan base on the planet Earth. Over a month before the season starts and we're already doomed to 20th place.

Well I'm not remotely saying that.

I'd like us to show some ambition to do more than stay up, however.

And if we are going to get significant money for Siggy, we should spend it on significant strengthening.

I'm not even saying we need to do it today, but we need to do it.
Squad on 10:47 - Jul 16 with 1957 viewsjack2jack

I really do think we are a bit light on back ups for the starting 11.
Thought Bartley looked tidy
Love the look of Mesa,think he's going to be the business,needs to get shot of the tash though.
Barrow and Montero same old same old.
Olli,needs time
We need a couple of bits of real quality,hopefully Tammy will do the business too.
It's only pre season,I'm I worried slightly,but I'm confident that PC will whip things into shape.
Squad on 11:08 - Jul 16 with 1891 viewsjack247

Squad on 10:36 - Jul 16 by londonlisa2001

I agree with much of that. But we were also lucky with injuries. When we lost Naughton and Rangel we looked awful. And we relied heavily on set pieces, with our main taker now leaving.

As a minimum we need to replace Siggy, add another right back and add another creative wide player / attacking midfielder. I'd also like another central midfielder to be honest leaving Fer & Ki as back ups. Even then I'd be worried about centre half.

I'd get rid of Montero and Barrow, probably Dyer as well and one of VDH / Bartley.

Edited - oh God, forgot about Grimes. Get rid of Grimes.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2017 10:37]

I'd agree there.

The team that finished the season would be nowhere near relegation, but Clement essentially reduced it down to a very small working squad and marginalised a few players. Not sure if that's how he likes to work (think it is) or he just didn't rate the likes of Borja, Fulton, VdH and the wingers.

Even if we kept Siggy and Llorente, the pool of players he seems to trust would be too thin.
Squad on 12:08 - Jul 16 with 1762 viewsDewi1jack

I dumbfounded that people are amazed we're a bit light in half tidy players.
Think of all the wanchors that have rocked up here since Loudstrop and Ballet Tutu were stopped from bringing in who they wanted.

Then someone being allowed by the board to ship out a lot of good ball players and dismantle what was a pretty tidy squad. Even took one back at Leeds
Bringing in a "Yes man" manager then, purely because no-one Capt Beaky approached wanted anything to do with our train wreck of a club, didn't help either.

At least Brab Bobbley wasn't allowed to bring in players otherwise fugknows who would have come here- always a bright side to life!

Our squad is around four years down on rebuilding and gone seriously backwards.
Players like Angel and Leon who we all love around the place, needed replacing as starting 11 a couple of years ago.

FFS Fernandez still isn't worth £6 million more than Chico was IMHO
VDH, Barrow, Grimes and a few others shouldn't be near a PL team (unless Cardiff can make it back up, sometime this Century, in which case miserable northern tw@ can have them)

Let's all hope PC can rebuild 1/ the team spirit and 2/ the squad.
A bit of stability would be nice as well

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

Squad on 12:41 - Jul 16 with 1699 views34dfgdf54

Squad on 11:08 - Jul 16 by jack247

I'd agree there.

The team that finished the season would be nowhere near relegation, but Clement essentially reduced it down to a very small working squad and marginalised a few players. Not sure if that's how he likes to work (think it is) or he just didn't rate the likes of Borja, Fulton, VdH and the wingers.

Even if we kept Siggy and Llorente, the pool of players he seems to trust would be too thin.

Your last sentence is what worries me. Even with the two in question, I was still hoping for more than two more incomings.
Squad on 12:51 - Jul 16 with 1668 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

I do not understand where this sudden belief that Clement will be bringing players in has come from?

The January signings were mostly old Jenkins/Leadbitter leads and this Summer Clement failed to sign the one player he publicly stated he wanted to sign (Terry).

I still believe the manager has little say on transfers. He might ask for a new signing in a certain position, but who those players are is still down to the old, failed recruitment combo of Jenkins and his part time scouting department.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Squad on 12:52 - Jul 16 with 1665 viewsjack247

Squad on 12:41 - Jul 16 by 34dfgdf54

Your last sentence is what worries me. Even with the two in question, I was still hoping for more than two more incomings.

Agreed. We almost had a squad within a squad towards the end of last season. It's a hell of a risk going through a whole season like that.
Squad on 15:27 - Jul 16 with 1487 viewsicecoldjack

Squad on 12:51 - Jul 16 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

I do not understand where this sudden belief that Clement will be bringing players in has come from?

The January signings were mostly old Jenkins/Leadbitter leads and this Summer Clement failed to sign the one player he publicly stated he wanted to sign (Terry).

I still believe the manager has little say on transfers. He might ask for a new signing in a certain position, but who those players are is still down to the old, failed recruitment combo of Jenkins and his part time scouting department.

I think your not far away from the truth there. It was noticable how often during the roque transfer it was emphasized clement wanted him, that it was a target he was after and secured, i like to think thats exactly what happened but with our club there is that 3 way thing going on where not one person carries sole responsibility.

A camel is a horse designed by a committee ! which sums up the last few years business IMO.
Hope clement has good control here, if he doesn't it could be a long old season yet again .
Fingers crossed we move forward and conduct good business.
Squad on 19:04 - Jul 16 with 1376 viewsZZoric

Squad on 10:43 - Jul 16 by nantywatcher

bang on. constant whining by the usual suspects

PC positively drove the squad fwd in leaps and bounds

PS folk choose to focus on the negatives - wtf ?

get a grip moaning minges
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024