Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Was Michu the best ever Swansea player? 13:19 - Jul 19 with 4530 viewsattila_the_hun

I know some people are gonna cry and say it's Ivor (and those people probably never saw him play) Robbie James could come close but surely Michu should go down as the best?
still active legends include Sinclair, Bony, Trundle and then we have the great might have been Ferrie Bodde

"I'm Free"

Was Michu the best ever Swansea player? on 13:19 - Jul 19 with 2942 viewsWhiterockin

Curtis was better to name only one.
Was Michu the best ever Swansea player? on 13:22 - Jul 19 with 2933 viewsEasternJack

I'm pretty sure we've done this at least twice already this pre-season

Poll: Hull vs Middlesborough - What do we want?

Was Michu the best ever Swansea player? on 13:33 - Jul 19 with 2907 viewsSPboy

As good as Michu was he only really played for us for a season and a bit, then threw his toys out when Laudrup was sacked - he left us as soon as he could.

I would argue that Siggy is up there - he has delivered the goods consistently for us at the top level. Hasn't he scored more PL top level goals for the Swans than any other player?

Curtis was outstanding for us in the lower leagues but never really stood out in the couple of years that he played at the top level.

Robbie James is up there as the most successful local lad to play for the Swans
Was Michu the best ever Swansea player? on 13:40 - Jul 19 with 2884 viewsWhiterockin

Was Michu the best ever Swansea player? on 13:33 - Jul 19 by SPboy

As good as Michu was he only really played for us for a season and a bit, then threw his toys out when Laudrup was sacked - he left us as soon as he could.

I would argue that Siggy is up there - he has delivered the goods consistently for us at the top level. Hasn't he scored more PL top level goals for the Swans than any other player?

Curtis was outstanding for us in the lower leagues but never really stood out in the couple of years that he played at the top level.

Robbie James is up there as the most successful local lad to play for the Swans

Was Michu the best ever Swansea player? on 13:40 - Jul 19 with 2884 viewsdobjack2

No.

All subjective depends on what you mean by "best" anyway
Was Michu the best ever Swansea player? on 14:00 - Jul 19 with 2833 viewsMarinaJack

Was Michu the best ever Swansea player? on 13:19 - Jul 19 by Whiterockin

Curtis was better to name only one.

best player in a Swansea shirt? that has to be ivor

best player to play for Swansea and for other clubs = cliffy jones

tbh the likes of Leighton james, latchford and medwin all did far better in the top division for a lot longer than michu or curtis
Was Michu the best ever Swansea player? on 14:10 - Jul 19 with 2811 viewsjack247

Ivor's career ended nearly 50 years ago. The vast majority of us will have never seen him play. Even those that did must have a hell of a job comparing him to the likes of Michu, Bony and Siggy.

Always amuses me when people in their 30s and 40s say he was our best ever.
Was Michu the best ever Swansea player? on 14:11 - Jul 19 with 2810 viewsGowerjack

No.

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Login to get fewer ads

Was Michu the best ever Swansea player? on 14:14 - Jul 19 with 2798 viewsMarinaJack

Was Michu the best ever Swansea player? on 14:10 - Jul 19 by jack247

Ivor's career ended nearly 50 years ago. The vast majority of us will have never seen him play. Even those that did must have a hell of a job comparing him to the likes of Michu, Bony and Siggy.

well if you speak to people and players who did see him then you;ll understand why

I guess it's difficult for some people to understand football was played prior to the swans being at the liberty :)

Also look at the number of games players like latchford and Leighton played in the top flight and compare the longevity of their top flight careers to bony , michu etc

It's not that hard if you apply a little brain power :)
Was Michu the best ever Swansea player? on 14:17 - Jul 19 with 2791 viewsMarinaJack

to give you an example cliffy jones was a star player in a spurs side that won the double and a European trophy

siggy couldn't get in a spurs team that finished 5th and won nowt , buy yeah your right he must have been the better player :)
Was Michu the best ever Swansea player? on 14:20 - Jul 19 with 2785 viewsjack247

Was Michu the best ever Swansea player? on 14:14 - Jul 19 by MarinaJack

well if you speak to people and players who did see him then you;ll understand why

I guess it's difficult for some people to understand football was played prior to the swans being at the liberty :)

Also look at the number of games players like latchford and Leighton played in the top flight and compare the longevity of their top flight careers to bony , michu etc

It's not that hard if you apply a little brain power :)

If you are relying on others telling you how good a player is, it's not your opinion. You are simply repeating someone else's opinion.

Latchford, Ivor and Leighton may have been our 3 best ever players. I don't know, I never saw them play (though I've seen probably more games at the Vetch than the Liberty).
Was Michu the best ever Swansea player? on 14:24 - Jul 19 with 2772 viewsMarinaJack

Was Michu the best ever Swansea player? on 14:20 - Jul 19 by jack247

If you are relying on others telling you how good a player is, it's not your opinion. You are simply repeating someone else's opinion.

Latchford, Ivor and Leighton may have been our 3 best ever players. I don't know, I never saw them play (though I've seen probably more games at the Vetch than the Liberty).

I saw Leighton and latchford both top draw and they had the careers to back it up

Michu was fantastic for what 18 months there then his career fell of a cliff as did bony.

They can't be placed in the top bracket on the players who played for the swans

you can put an argument for them having the best season for any swans player

though latchford scored what 20 league goals in the top flight for us in 1 season?

on a side note not the greatest but the most entertaining to watch was trundle
Was Michu the best ever Swansea player? on 14:28 - Jul 19 with 2759 viewsjack247

Was Michu the best ever Swansea player? on 14:24 - Jul 19 by MarinaJack

I saw Leighton and latchford both top draw and they had the careers to back it up

Michu was fantastic for what 18 months there then his career fell of a cliff as did bony.

They can't be placed in the top bracket on the players who played for the swans

you can put an argument for them having the best season for any swans player

though latchford scored what 20 league goals in the top flight for us in 1 season?

on a side note not the greatest but the most entertaining to watch was trundle

I'm not saying they weren't the best, I'm saying it's impossible to say, particularly in Ivor's case. You must have been pretty young watching Latchford?

Trundle - agree from my time watching the Swans. Can't comment on players before that.
Was Michu the best ever Swansea player? on 14:33 - Jul 19 with 2746 viewsSwanjaxs

Definitely in the top five, even after only one (exceptional/beautiful) season, but for me Curt, on a side note can't help but wonder if kicking the shìt out of the advertising hoardings did for his already weakend ankles?

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Was Michu the best ever Swansea player? on 15:18 - Jul 19 with 2692 viewsjack247

Was Michu the best ever Swansea player? on 14:33 - Jul 19 by Swanjaxs

Definitely in the top five, even after only one (exceptional/beautiful) season, but for me Curt, on a side note can't help but wonder if kicking the shìt out of the advertising hoardings did for his already weakend ankles?

It wouldn't have helped, but I doubt they would have stood up to top flight football for much longer either way
Was Michu the best ever Swansea player? on 15:20 - Jul 19 with 2688 viewsPegojack

Oh, I do hate the close season.
Was Michu the best ever Swansea player? on 15:20 - Jul 19 with 2688 viewsraynor94

Was Michu the best ever Swansea player? on 14:28 - Jul 19 by jack247

I'm not saying they weren't the best, I'm saying it's impossible to say, particularly in Ivor's case. You must have been pretty young watching Latchford?

Trundle - agree from my time watching the Swans. Can't comment on players before that.

Well I was 24 watching Bob Latchford, bloody hell it was only 36 years ago, I even seen Ivor at the end of his career in the 69 season. Michu had the one great season, I'd still put Curt and Robbie above him

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Was Michu the best ever Swansea player? on 15:29 - Jul 19 with 2662 viewsMarinaJack

Was Michu the best ever Swansea player? on 14:28 - Jul 19 by jack247

Not that young fella, I'm pushing 50! :
Was Michu the best ever Swansea player? on 17:10 - Jul 19 with 2581 viewsWarwickHunt

Ivor would be playing for Barca or Real now. Cliffy too.

"Ivor never needed a number on his back for identification. His polish, his class could not be missed. He vies with the greatest of all time, yet he has a modesty that becomes him"

Sir Matt Busby
Was Michu the best ever Swansea player? on 17:16 - Jul 19 with 2569 viewsjack247

Was Michu the best ever Swansea player? on 17:10 - Jul 19 by WarwickHunt

Ivor would be playing for Barca or Real now. Cliffy too.

"Ivor never needed a number on his back for identification. His polish, his class could not be missed. He vies with the greatest of all time, yet he has a modesty that becomes him"

Sir Matt Busby

Quite possibly. I just think it's nuts that people who have never seen him play speak about him with such authority.

For me, it's impossible to judge our best ever unless you have been going since 1912.

I couldn't tell you how Pele stacks up to Maradona or Messi either.
Was Michu the best ever Swansea player? on 17:45 - Jul 19 with 2514 viewsraynor94

Was Michu the best ever Swansea player? on 17:16 - Jul 19 by jack247

Quite possibly. I just think it's nuts that people who have never seen him play speak about him with such authority.

For me, it's impossible to judge our best ever unless you have been going since 1912.

I couldn't tell you how Pele stacks up to Maradona or Messi either.

The legend of Ivor has been passed down, Still remembered in Newcastle as one the finest to have ever pulled on the famous black and white stripes

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Was Michu the best ever Swansea player? on 17:55 - Jul 19 with 2487 viewsPrivate_Partz

Was Michu the best ever Swansea player? on 13:40 - Jul 19 by dobjack2

No.

All subjective depends on what you mean by "best" anyway

'This.
My definition is playing at the highest level in the most successful team.
ML's team was our best and most successful to date. Michu played in that team and it could be argued was the best in the league at the time.
That for me makes him the best.
Should we ever become more successful than that team and have a player who can perform at the same level as Michu, or higher and for a longer period, then that player would be the best for me.
That does not take anything away from the greats that have played for us. They can only play in the team that they are selected for. One of my favourites is Russell Coughlin........
Sorry about the grammar and there are far too many 'bests' in that post :-)

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Was Michu the best ever Swansea player? on 18:07 - Jul 19 with 2464 viewsjasper_T

Even during Michu's purple patch Pablo Hernandez was doing more for us all-around.

Love a player who disappears for 85 minutes then scores a winner, but best ever? Come on now.
Was Michu the best ever Swansea player? on 18:14 - Jul 19 with 2447 viewsSwanjaxs

Was Michu the best ever Swansea player? on 15:20 - Jul 19 by Pegojack

Oh, I do hate the close season.

Really?.... gives you a chance to log off from PS for a couple of months then other than add to debates that bore you so much 👍😎

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Was Michu the best ever Swansea player? on 18:17 - Jul 19 with 2437 viewscontroversial_jack

Was Michu the best ever Swansea player? on 18:07 - Jul 19 by jasper_T

Even during Michu's purple patch Pablo Hernandez was doing more for us all-around.

Love a player who disappears for 85 minutes then scores a winner, but best ever? Come on now.

Pablo Hernandez, are you nuts, or on a wind up? He was shyte! Michu the best in modern times, he had it all; could score with his feet - admittedly only his left, he could head, pass the ball and make chances for others, plus his work rate was excellent.Shame it only lasted for one amazing season
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024