Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
State pension age increase brought forward 7 years 14:47 - Jul 19 with 12284 viewsValerie

So this will hit people currently between 40-47 years old with a extra year for them to work,it was already in the system for people 40 or under to work until 68.

And you can guarantee there will be another review within 3 years to bring it forward again.

There were reviews in 2011,2014 and now 2017 all of which brought the qualifying year forward by an average of 6.5 years.

People currently 35 or younger will not qualify for OASP until they are in their 70s that's for sure.
[Post edited 19 Jul 2017 14:55]
State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 22:15 - Jul 19 with 1604 viewsexiledclaseboy

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 22:14 - Jul 19 by jack247

Sounds like something John McDonnell would say

I'm almost affronted.

Poll: Tory leader

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 22:15 - Jul 19 with 1604 viewsjack_lord

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 22:06 - Jul 19 by jack247

We will certainly have to agree to disagree on whether 'I will deal with it' is woolly or not. Fair enough though, agree with your second paragraph.

I will deal with it could have many guises though.

It could be that he foolishly writes off millions of debt. Governments have done that before.

It could be that he seeks ways to initiate a tax system that graduates with debt pay an extra 1%. Who knows what other crazy ideas are out there to deal with it but it doesn't mean a pledge to write off the debt.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 22:17 - Jul 19 with 1601 viewsploppy

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 22:06 - Jul 19 by Loyal

People pay in for 37 years hoping for a pension.
And the goalposts get moved,
I'm waiting for the govt to announce no pensions for people with private ones.

I'm sure they do. The best advice I can give anyone with any spare cash from their salary is to bung it in their company's pension scheme or a private one from the minute they start work. I didn't start contributing until I was 25 (the age at which it became mandatory) but I should have started earlier. Fortunately, it's still done pretty well and will far outweigh my state pension. I speak from experience though, that it's hard to get people in their 20s to even think about pensions because it's "way too far away".
State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 22:21 - Jul 19 with 1591 viewsjack247

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 22:15 - Jul 19 by jack_lord

I will deal with it could have many guises though.

It could be that he foolishly writes off millions of debt. Governments have done that before.

It could be that he seeks ways to initiate a tax system that graduates with debt pay an extra 1%. Who knows what other crazy ideas are out there to deal with it but it doesn't mean a pledge to write off the debt.

It's not what he actually meant that matters. It's what he wanted people to think in the run up to an election. That's politics I suppose. It's hardly as if the Tories have never mislead anyone.
State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 22:22 - Jul 19 with 1590 viewsPozuelosSideys

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 22:13 - Jul 19 by Loyal

Thing is people pay in at a certain time under a certain set of rules and then it's all change.
They won't find my savings. I've fcking spent them.

Honestly, i dont blame you one bit. Spend it, enjoy it. Worry about it when youre old, senile and cant remember a thing

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 22:25 - Jul 19 with 1585 viewsPozuelosSideys

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 22:17 - Jul 19 by ploppy

I'm sure they do. The best advice I can give anyone with any spare cash from their salary is to bung it in their company's pension scheme or a private one from the minute they start work. I didn't start contributing until I was 25 (the age at which it became mandatory) but I should have started earlier. Fortunately, it's still done pretty well and will far outweigh my state pension. I speak from experience though, that it's hard to get people in their 20s to even think about pensions because it's "way too far away".

Was talking to a pension consultant about this a while back. They reckon that to balance the books as it were, people need to be looking to contribute around 30-40% of their entire salary (on average!) into schemes - thats the advice anyway.

Other than top level executives, whos gonna be able to do that eh

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 22:30 - Jul 19 with 1566 viewsPrivate_Partz

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 22:17 - Jul 19 by ploppy

It is a major problem. When I started in Local Government, union membership was compulsory and your pension contributions were deducted from the off. 18yrs old in my case. I retired 41 yrs later. I stuck with the Union and, despite Thatcher trying to get us to 'contract out' of the scheme I stuck with that as well. Many that left the scheme lost out big time. I am now constantly told how gold plated my pension is but it was a hefty monthly deduction nevertheless.
Imho the Private Sector must follow suit. Union membership may be a non starter but workplace pensions (which I believe are now law) are essential.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 22:32 - Jul 19 with 1559 viewsPozuelosSideys

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 22:30 - Jul 19 by Private_Partz

It is a major problem. When I started in Local Government, union membership was compulsory and your pension contributions were deducted from the off. 18yrs old in my case. I retired 41 yrs later. I stuck with the Union and, despite Thatcher trying to get us to 'contract out' of the scheme I stuck with that as well. Many that left the scheme lost out big time. I am now constantly told how gold plated my pension is but it was a hefty monthly deduction nevertheless.
Imho the Private Sector must follow suit. Union membership may be a non starter but workplace pensions (which I believe are now law) are essential.

Nah. Default setting is that you have deductions made. You can opt back out though

Login to get fewer ads

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 22:35 - Jul 19 with 1553 viewsploppy

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 22:25 - Jul 19 by PozuelosSideys

Was talking to a pension consultant about this a while back. They reckon that to balance the books as it were, people need to be looking to contribute around 30-40% of their entire salary (on average!) into schemes - thats the advice anyway.

Other than top level executives, whos gonna be able to do that eh

As you say, that's impossible for the ordinary person. I'm no pensions expert but I'd still say to start contributing as soon as possible. Use the pre-tax advantages especially if you're in the 40% tax bracket. And if your company has a promise to match your contribution, even better.
State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 22:36 - Jul 19 with 1553 viewsjack_lord

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 22:21 - Jul 19 by jack247

It's not what he actually meant that matters. It's what he wanted people to think in the run up to an election. That's politics I suppose. It's hardly as if the Tories have never mislead anyone.

I take that on board but we have a right wing press that applies its anti corbynometer to try and destroy whatever message he was hoping would be positively received.

This time there was a vehicle that was there to fight against the right red tops.

We know that the tories have mislead as have the other parties.

I suppose we should be back on track with how long can the human body cope with working.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 22:43 - Jul 19 with 1536 viewsPrivate_Partz

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 22:32 - Jul 19 by PozuelosSideys

Nah. Default setting is that you have deductions made. You can opt back out though

It is now. My argument is it should be compulsory. The Public Sector schemes are by far the safest rather than risk it with the Private sharks. The news is littered with such failed schemes. BHS anyone?

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 22:44 - Jul 19 with 1533 viewsswanforthemoney

The state pension isn't a fixed amount. It depends on your NICS (national insurance) contributions. If you have a patchy work record and you are in your 50s or early 60s you should apply for a record of your NICS contributions, which shows whether you have enough years to qualify for full pansion. (£155 per week) I don't have enough years by the look of it and intend to top up 5 years just before my 66 th birthday.
It Can be worth making top up payments to get a bigger pension.

I stand in the North Stand

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 22:45 - Jul 19 with 1529 viewsPozuelosSideys

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 22:35 - Jul 19 by ploppy

As you say, that's impossible for the ordinary person. I'm no pensions expert but I'd still say to start contributing as soon as possible. Use the pre-tax advantages especially if you're in the 40% tax bracket. And if your company has a promise to match your contribution, even better.

Mine do, and i do exactly the same as you. Some companies are actually pretty generous with it as well. But its being looked at as its a huge cost outlay for them. Benefits have been cut to bits and now theyre looking at pensions.

If i were living pay cheque to pay cheque though, id be spunking it all on having a good time while i can

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 22:51 - Jul 19 with 1527 viewsploppy

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 22:44 - Jul 19 by swanforthemoney

The state pension isn't a fixed amount. It depends on your NICS (national insurance) contributions. If you have a patchy work record and you are in your 50s or early 60s you should apply for a record of your NICS contributions, which shows whether you have enough years to qualify for full pansion. (£155 per week) I don't have enough years by the look of it and intend to top up 5 years just before my 66 th birthday.

The gov website (still in beta I think) gives you an actual forecast of your state pension. No need to apply for a record of your contributions - it's all in there.

You should think carefully whether it's worth topping up your missing years. With all this talk of austerity affecting life expectancy, it may not be worth it.

Joking.
State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 23:00 - Jul 19 with 1517 viewsraynor94

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 22:44 - Jul 19 by swanforthemoney

But very expensive

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 23:02 - Jul 19 with 1513 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Facking hell
There's some facking beauty's about fair facking play.

Exile & meoff have the patience of the holiest of saints

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 23:22 - Jul 19 with 1497 viewsLoyal

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 22:22 - Jul 19 by PozuelosSideys

Honestly, i dont blame you one bit. Spend it, enjoy it. Worry about it when youre old, senile and cant remember a thing

Invested wisely.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 23:25 - Jul 19 with 1492 viewsPozuelosSideys

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 23:22 - Jul 19 by Loyal

Invested wisely.

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 00:35 - Jul 20 with 1463 viewsPokerface

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 22:30 - Jul 19 by Private_Partz

"hefty monthly deduction" Are you having a laugh.

What % did you pay.

What pension did you receive ?

#outoftouch

Poll: Most boring poster....and least football knowledge

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 09:00 - Jul 20 with 1409 viewsPrivate_Partz

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 00:35 - Jul 20 by Pokerface

"hefty monthly deduction" Are you having a laugh.

What % did you pay.

What pension did you receive ?

#outoftouch

Firstly mind your own effing business. ;-) Check it out on the websites. It is there for all to see. Pensions are like long term investments. They make money during high inflation. Less so when it is low and in times of austerity. You take the rough with the smooth but benefit in the long term. The 30 to 40% figures are based on the current economic climate. Just because the Private Sector has fecked up over the years does not mean we have to blow the whole idea out if the water.
#racetothebottom

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 09:18 - Jul 20 with 1389 viewsfelixstowe_jack

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 21:36 - Jul 19 by PozuelosSideys

Its worded mischievously and intentionally and it worked. It certainly won votes. But hey, people are dumb and they bought it. We all do.

It worked so well Millions of Students voted for him some even voted twice.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 09:25 - Jul 20 with 1382 viewsraynor94

Same as me, joined the union and started paying pension at 16, yes it seemed a big deduction in the early days, but now 44 years on best thing that ever happened, Still a lifetime union member, and would advise any youngsters to invest in a tidy pension

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 10:51 - Jul 20 with 1356 viewsPrivate_Partz

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 09:25 - Jul 20 by raynor94

Same as me, joined the union and started paying pension at 16, yes it seemed a big deduction in the early days, but now 44 years on best thing that ever happened, Still a lifetime union member, and would advise any youngsters to invest in a tidy pension

Good advice Rayns but it is a tough one for teenagers to think about pensions. Hence I think if should be compulsory. One thing about my scheme that upsets people is the employer contribution. This was used as an incentive to attract potential employees to low paid jobs like a local government clerical officer. Nowadays with investment returns poor it is seen as burdensome. One of the good things about rising inflation is that pension schemes, and their associated investments, will start making money again.

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 11:35 - Jul 20 with 1337 viewsexiledclaseboy

Isn't it odd that the government made this announcement on the same day as everyone was preoccupied with the trivia of what the BBC pays people. An announcement the government forced the BBC into. Also the last day before parliament rises for the summer. A good day to attempt to bury bad news.

Poll: Tory leader

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 11:57 - Jul 20 with 1321 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

State pension age increase brought forward 7 years on 11:35 - Jul 20 by exiledclaseboy

Isn't it odd that the government made this announcement on the same day as everyone was preoccupied with the trivia of what the BBC pays people. An announcement the government forced the BBC into. Also the last day before parliament rises for the summer. A good day to attempt to bury bad news.

Nope it's not odd

They do it all the time

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024