Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is Montero good enough for a premier league Swansea City ? 10:53 - Jul 21 with 5173 viewsLoyal

Not a poll, a discussion worth having.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Is Montero good enough for a premier league Swansea City ? on 11:00 - Jul 21 with 2922 viewsandypitt56

I personally think that ship has sailed. Just doesnt appear to have the right attitude. Similar situation to barrow IMO.
Is Montero good enough for a premier league Swansea City ? on 11:03 - Jul 21 with 2913 viewsjack2jack

For me he's too one dimensional,on his day can put the sh!ts up defenders,but he's been worked out.Doesnt offer anything else.For me I haven't seen anything that says he's a must keep.Also seems a bit flaky on the injury side of things, unless PC can get more out of him,maybe it's time to move on, remember FG tried but failed.
Is Montero good enough for a premier league Swansea City ? on 11:16 - Jul 21 with 2871 viewsjack247

No. He may work for a team playing 442 if they could work a way of isolating the fullback and letting him run at them one on one.

I wouldn't be too disappointed if he stayed, because I think there is a place for him as an impact sub. Wouldn't want him starting games though
Is Montero good enough for a premier league Swansea City ? on 11:19 - Jul 21 with 2862 viewsKGriz16

What defines good enough for the Premier League? He may suit more direct/route one footballing team than us imo.
Is Montero good enough for a premier league Swansea City ? on 11:23 - Jul 21 with 2840 viewsLoyal

Is Montero good enough for a premier league Swansea City ? on 11:19 - Jul 21 by KGriz16

What defines good enough for the Premier League? He may suit more direct/route one footballing team than us imo.

The question is 'premier league Swansea City Kris 👍'

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Is Montero good enough for a premier league Swansea City ? on 11:24 - Jul 21 with 2837 viewsDewi1jack

Is Montero good enough for a premier league Swansea City ? on 11:16 - Jul 21 by jack247

No. He may work for a team playing 442 if they could work a way of isolating the fullback and letting him run at them one on one.

I wouldn't be too disappointed if he stayed, because I think there is a place for him as an impact sub. Wouldn't want him starting games though

This.

70 /80 odd mins in with us facing tired defenders and being 1-0 down.
Jeff running into the penalty area at speed has a chance of drawing a foul. Or he puts one of his little dinky crosses in as normal and Nando is there to head it in.

Starting?
No

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

Is Montero good enough for a premier league Swansea City ? on 12:18 - Jul 21 with 2738 viewscsf

If he head worked out how to run on to balls behind the full back (like Routledge did against Cardiff) rather than insisting the ball be at his feet he would be lethal. Also if he didn't get injured when the wind changes direction.

So no from me after three seasons.
Is Montero good enough for a premier league Swansea City ? on 12:42 - Jul 21 with 2669 viewsPrivate_Partz

Not on hos own. He needs the team to be cute enough to get the ball out to him quickly enough so he is 1 on 1 with his marker. He can be lethal then. The oppo will then need to double up on him. Again we then need to have enough guile to exploit the gaps created by that and implement plan B. Roque may just be the player to be able to feed him the passes. An injury free Jeff can be a massive asset to the team but the players and coaches need to recognise the way to get the best out of him.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Login to get fewer ads

Is Montero good enough for a premier league Swansea City ? on 12:51 - Jul 21 with 2644 viewsjasper_T

No, the counselling hasn't worked and he's a nervous wreck against serious opposition.
Is Montero good enough for a premier league Swansea City ? on 12:55 - Jul 21 with 2634 viewsswanforthemoney

He definitely poses a threat if used intelligently. As someone posted above, Mesa and Llorente may well have the footballing know-how to bring out the best in him.
If teams double up on Montero, Olssen will crucify them.
On the other hand he could just be a sulky sicknote....trust PC to take the right action.

I stand in the North Stand

Is Montero good enough for a premier league Swansea City ? on 13:02 - Jul 21 with 2613 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

hes the best winger we have

he just made of glass

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Is Montero good enough for a premier league Swansea City ? on 13:04 - Jul 21 with 2603 viewsGowerjack

Is Montero good enough for a premier league Swansea City ? on 12:18 - Jul 21 by csf

If he head worked out how to run on to balls behind the full back (like Routledge did against Cardiff) rather than insisting the ball be at his feet he would be lethal. Also if he didn't get injured when the wind changes direction.

So no from me after three seasons.

Correct.

Never ever attacks the space.

Always wants the ball far to deep.

Not good enough.

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Is Montero good enough for a premier league Swansea City ? on 13:05 - Jul 21 with 2596 viewspencoedjack

Is Montero good enough for a premier league Swansea City ? on 12:42 - Jul 21 by Private_Partz

Not on hos own. He needs the team to be cute enough to get the ball out to him quickly enough so he is 1 on 1 with his marker. He can be lethal then. The oppo will then need to double up on him. Again we then need to have enough guile to exploit the gaps created by that and implement plan B. Roque may just be the player to be able to feed him the passes. An injury free Jeff can be a massive asset to the team but the players and coaches need to recognise the way to get the best out of him.

Great post

Frustrating player due to being injured so often, one that if we sell could end up being a bad descion.

Personally would rather get rid of Barrow & Dyer
Is Montero good enough for a premier league Swansea City ? on 13:06 - Jul 21 with 2598 viewsE20Jack

Is Montero good enough for a premier league Swansea City ? on 13:02 - Jul 21 by oh_tommy_tommy

hes the best winger we have

he just made of glass

I think hes the worst winger we have regardless of what he is made from.

Poll: 6 point deduction and sellouts lose all their cash?

Is Montero good enough for a premier league Swansea City ? on 13:08 - Jul 21 with 2594 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Is Montero good enough for a premier league Swansea City ? on 13:06 - Jul 21 by E20Jack

I think hes the worst winger we have regardless of what he is made from.

whos better ?

Is Montero good enough for a premier league Swansea City ? on 13:12 - Jul 21 with 2586 viewsE20Jack

Is Montero good enough for a premier league Swansea City ? on 13:08 - Jul 21 by oh_tommy_tommy

whos better ?

Montero has pace which can be defended against by defending slightly deeper and having a covering CB - or if the fullback also has pace. His actual ability (passing, shooting, tackling) is non existent so we are rendered useless on that flank and are essentially playing with 10 men.

If Dyer, Routledge or Barrow come up against a fullback that has pace then at least they have some sort of ability to contribute to the build up play (Barrow less so than Routledge and Dyer).

Montero would be the last choice of my wingers. He is truly awful and is exactly why he has been rubbish everywhere he has gone.

Caveat - I would only prefer Montero if we are leading and the opposition have been forced to defend with a higher line late on.
[Post edited 21 Jul 2017 13:14]

Is Montero good enough for a premier league Swansea City ? on 13:13 - Jul 21 with 2575 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Is Montero good enough for a premier league Swansea City ? on 13:12 - Jul 21 by E20Jack

Montero has pace which can be defended against by defending slightly deeper and having a covering CB - or if the fullback also has pace. His actual ability (passing, shooting, tackling) is non existent so we are rendered useless on that flank and are essentially playing with 10 men.

If Dyer, Routledge or Barrow come up against a fullback that has pace then at least they have some sort of ability to contribute to the build up play (Barrow less so than Routledge and Dyer).

Montero would be the last choice of my wingers. He is truly awful and is exactly why he has been rubbish everywhere he has gone.

Caveat - I would only prefer Montero if we are leading and the opposition have been forced to defend with a higher line late on.
[Post edited 21 Jul 2017 13:14]

who's a better winger?

Is Montero good enough for a premier league Swansea City ? on 13:15 - Jul 21 with 2568 viewsE20Jack

Is Montero good enough for a premier league Swansea City ? on 13:13 - Jul 21 by oh_tommy_tommy

who's a better winger?

Dyer, Routledge and Barrow.

Is Montero good enough for a premier league Swansea City ? on 13:41 - Jul 21 with 2519 viewsjack247

Is Montero good enough for a premier league Swansea City ? on 13:13 - Jul 21 by oh_tommy_tommy

who's a better winger?

Dyer, Routledge and Narsingh
Is Montero good enough for a premier league Swansea City ? on 13:54 - Jul 21 with 2498 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Is Montero good enough for a premier league Swansea City ? on 13:41 - Jul 21 by jack247

Routs Nope ,dyer nope & Narsigh how do you know he's only played a minute number of minutes.

On his day montero is the best winger in the squad by a country Mile

Is Montero good enough for a premier league Swansea City ? on 14:03 - Jul 21 with 2480 viewsjack247

Is Montero good enough for a premier league Swansea City ? on 13:54 - Jul 21 by oh_tommy_tommy

Routs Nope ,dyer nope & Narsigh how do you know he's only played a minute number of minutes.

His last 'day' was two years ago. The other one was against Arsenal in 2014
Is Montero good enough for a premier league Swansea City ? on 14:06 - Jul 21 with 2471 viewskarnataka

Is Montero good enough for a premier league Swansea City ? on 13:41 - Jul 21 by jack247

Agreed. It's all about having a football brain and neither Montero nor Barrow have got one. Although not the players they were, both Dyer & Routs have proved that their contribution to overall play isn't limited to just running past a fullback 4 or 5 times in a match. Not 100% sure about Narsingh yet due to his limited game time so far but he seems to have more sense that Montero and Barrow have between them.

If we are going to use traditional wingers, then we need better than all of them but PC knows what we've got and knows what he needs so if he wants to offload Barrow and Montero, that's fine with me because there will be a reason behind it even if that is yet to become clear.
Is Montero good enough for a premier league Swansea City ? on 14:07 - Jul 21 with 2469 viewsE20Jack

Is Montero good enough for a premier league Swansea City ? on 13:54 - Jul 21 by oh_tommy_tommy

Utter nonsense. Hes had about 3 good games in his life, and that was simoly due to the team exposing a slow full back to pace.

To be a good winger you have to have more than just pace, which is why Dyer and Routledge have both been regular starters in the Premier League for a number of years and Mont ro struggles for 5 mins off the bench anywhere he goes.

Is Montero good enough for a premier league Swansea City ? on 14:40 - Jul 21 with 2427 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Montero doesn't seem to be the player he was a couple years ago anymore, from what we saw last year and especially what I've seen in these last two friendlies.

That said, I don't see the point in selling him and/or Barrow if we can't even get £2m for either of them. Might as well keep them around for depth in that case.
[Post edited 21 Jul 2017 14:41]

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Is Montero good enough for a premier league Swansea City ? on 15:33 - Jul 21 with 2374 viewsSwan91

I would say Ayew would be a better first choice left winger. did play in that position during a friendly aswell and has played it in the past. I can imagine our midfield looking like this (if gylfi and llorente don't leave AND we stick to 4-3-3 (which is what we have been doing in pre season so far)

--------Mesa-------Caroll-----
---------------Gylfi-----------

Narsingh---Llorente-----Ayew

would have Montero as impact sub, and then routledge as overall sub. Full 90 mins i dont think montero can cut it... but as an impact sub, if used correctly could be deadly.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024