Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Gower Inn, Parkmill 19:26 - Jul 22 with 2888 viewsdickythorpe

Popped in and enjoyed. Great to see it is no longer a chain pub " 2meals for a fiver" joint.
Some awful reviews on tripadvisor but I thought it was fine.
The Gower Inn, Parkmill on 20:56 - Jul 22 with 2386 viewsscottishjack

Great spot for a pint and a bite to eat, I've never had reason to complain when I've visited. Still part of a fairly large "Chain" though... Had a refit fairly recently and it's lovely in there...
The Gower Inn, Parkmill on 21:04 - Jul 22 with 2376 viewsPrivate_Partz

The Gower Inn, Parkmill on 20:56 - Jul 22 by scottishjack

Great spot for a pint and a bite to eat, I've never had reason to complain when I've visited. Still part of a fairly large "Chain" though... Had a refit fairly recently and it's lovely in there...

Glad to hear it is improving. Believe me, up until recently this place was the absolute pits. Trip Advisor reports were some of the worst anywhere in the country.
Even if they start getting masses of excellent reports it will take years to get rid of the hundreds of poor reports they picked up.
They would do much better to rename the place and start again with a blank sheet.
Thanks for the heads up though. I will give it a go. With very few exceptions there are very few good eateries within striking distance of Killay and Dunvant.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

The Gower Inn, Parkmill on 22:03 - Jul 22 with 2309 viewsdickythorpe

The food in the Worms Head is hit and miss, but a great spot for a walk and pint.
The Ship in Port Eynon is ok.
What's the Black Boy and Commercisl like in Killay these days?
The Gower Inn, Parkmill on 22:06 - Jul 23 with 2147 viewsEbo

We went there last summer on the way back from Mewslade. Have to say it was pretty bad. Food was lukewarm, tables were dirty. Glad to hear it has improved. Do they still charge for parking?

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

The Gower Inn, Parkmill on 22:10 - Jul 23 with 2140 viewsSwanjaxs

The Gower Inn, Parkmill on 22:06 - Jul 23 by Ebo

We went there last summer on the way back from Mewslade. Have to say it was pretty bad. Food was lukewarm, tables were dirty. Glad to hear it has improved. Do they still charge for parking?

Yes a quid

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

The Gower Inn, Parkmill on 22:12 - Jul 23 with 2139 viewsSwanjaxs

The Gower Inn, Parkmill on 22:03 - Jul 22 by dickythorpe

The food in the Worms Head is hit and miss, but a great spot for a walk and pint.
The Ship in Port Eynon is ok.
What's the Black Boy and Commercisl like in Killay these days?

Black boy is ok, Comm used to be hit or miss but went there tonight and the food was excellent fair play

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.

The Gower Inn, Parkmill on 22:26 - Jul 23 with 2111 viewsmax936

The Gower Inn, Parkmill on 22:12 - Jul 23 by Swanjaxs

Black boy is ok, Comm used to be hit or miss but went there tonight and the food was excellent fair play

The Commercial is very good value ale is cheap to, Black Boy has been fine when we're been there to.

The Gower has been fine called in there a few times over the years after being down Oxwich or been out for a run around Gower, food in those places are dependant on your food choice I find, keep it simple and its usually fine as a stop gap.
[Post edited 23 Jul 2017 22:29]

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

The Gower Inn, Parkmill on 22:32 - Jul 23 with 2088 viewsSwanjaxs

The Gower Inn, Parkmill on 22:26 - Jul 23 by max936

The Commercial is very good value ale is cheap to, Black Boy has been fine when we're been there to.

The Gower has been fine called in there a few times over the years after being down Oxwich or been out for a run around Gower, food in those places are dependant on your food choice I find, keep it simple and its usually fine as a stop gap.
[Post edited 23 Jul 2017 22:29]

Walk my dogs through illston vally to the church and back then sit down outside the Gower Inn for a pint or two! If you've got muts there isn't a better walk 👍

Login to get fewer ads

The Gower Inn, Parkmill on 06:48 - Jul 24 with 2001 viewsYossarian

The Gower Inn reputation was destroyed years ago and as a total rebranding and different ownership is unlikely, it's beyond redemption in my view. The Worms Head is a dive- its years overdue for a refurb, with a mediocre bar and 1970s menu. The King Arthur is probably the best all round provider but again the decor is poor no it recently got a poor review for its food in the Sunday Times. There are one or two signs of optimism but much more needs to be achieved and the role role of WAG and local government is something to debate- growth in this sector could generate jobs elsewhere in the local economy.
Brexit means that Welsh tourism money is needed more than ever, we are way, way,way off the pace. Gower pubs are generally poor and unfit to compete against those offering similar scenic attractions. Those in denial are only deluding themselves.

"Yossarian- the very sight of the name made him shudder.There were so many esses in it. It just had to be subversive" (Catch 22)

The Gower Inn, Parkmill on 06:58 - Jul 24 with 1994 viewsjack247

The Gower Inn, Parkmill on 06:48 - Jul 24 by Yossarian

The Gower Inn reputation was destroyed years ago and as a total rebranding and different ownership is unlikely, it's beyond redemption in my view. The Worms Head is a dive- its years overdue for a refurb, with a mediocre bar and 1970s menu. The King Arthur is probably the best all round provider but again the decor is poor no it recently got a poor review for its food in the Sunday Times. There are one or two signs of optimism but much more needs to be achieved and the role role of WAG and local government is something to debate- growth in this sector could generate jobs elsewhere in the local economy.
Brexit means that Welsh tourism money is needed more than ever, we are way, way,way off the pace. Gower pubs are generally poor and unfit to compete against those offering similar scenic attractions. Those in denial are only deluding themselves.

With the odd exception (King Arthur, Greyhound, Kings Head, Brittania) I'd agree with you, most are run down and tatty. I'd love WAG investment into them.

I'm not sure there needs to be a comparison with similar scenic areas though, people come to Gower because it's a scenic area, not for the pubs. Once you're down there, you're pretty much a captive audience if you want a pub lunch.
The Gower Inn, Parkmill on 07:34 - Jul 24 with 1980 viewsYossarian

The Gower Inn, Parkmill on 06:58 - Jul 24 by jack247

With the odd exception (King Arthur, Greyhound, Kings Head, Brittania) I'd agree with you, most are run down and tatty. I'd love WAG investment into them.

I'm not sure there needs to be a comparison with similar scenic areas though, people come to Gower because it's a scenic area, not for the pubs. Once you're down there, you're pretty much a captive audience if you want a pub lunch.

Fair point- but in terms of attracting people who might be faced with a choice to make about where to spend a weekend, a good reputation for the standard of hospitality on the internet is that mportant. Unfortunately, lots of coverage about Gower pubs is negative- and that's being kind

"Yossarian- the very sight of the name made him shudder.There were so many esses in it. It just had to be subversive" (Catch 22)

The Gower Inn, Parkmill on 09:02 - Jul 24 with 1937 viewssherpajacob

A long time ago The Gower used to be one of my locals, and was a good Saturday night out, usually following a manic Friday down Mumbles.

It did indeed go downhill fast, and was replaced by a trip to the Beaufort, kittle or Joiners, Bishopston, A longer walk but better beer and atmosphere.

Haven't been there for years.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

The Gower Inn, Parkmill on 10:07 - Jul 24 with 1891 viewsunion_jack

Interesting article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/buy/get-beaches-charm-devon-cornwall-fractio

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

The Gower Inn, Parkmill on 11:09 - Jul 24 with 1862 viewsPrivate_Partz

The Gower Inn, Parkmill on 10:07 - Jul 24 by union_jack

Interesting article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/buy/get-beaches-charm-devon-cornwall-fractio

That seems an overly optimistic article based on the property market. It seems an odd suggestion that people are snapping up houses to move to the boom city of Cardiff. Cardiff is boomimg but commuting from Gower seems a no no for me as they have to negotiate Gowerton or the City Centre to even get to a motorway or a train. Then the Margam flyover looms large for the car commuter.
Gower needs to up its game. The pubs are generally poor. Unless you have a car then a night out there is not on unless you pay a fortune for taxis.
I have said it before that I cannot understand why the local pubs do not club together to provide a round robin late night bus service to get the punters home. Before that do that they need to upmtheir game however. Pubs like the King Arthur are complacent as they always get punters turning up. The Gower Inn and Worms Head however plumb the depths and give the whole area bad name.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

The Gower Inn, Parkmill on 15:48 - Jul 24 with 1781 viewsYossarian

The Gower Inn, Parkmill on 11:09 - Jul 24 by Private_Partz

That seems an overly optimistic article based on the property market. It seems an odd suggestion that people are snapping up houses to move to the boom city of Cardiff. Cardiff is boomimg but commuting from Gower seems a no no for me as they have to negotiate Gowerton or the City Centre to even get to a motorway or a train. Then the Margam flyover looms large for the car commuter.
Gower needs to up its game. The pubs are generally poor. Unless you have a car then a night out there is not on unless you pay a fortune for taxis.
I have said it before that I cannot understand why the local pubs do not club together to provide a round robin late night bus service to get the punters home. Before that do that they need to upmtheir game however. Pubs like the King Arthur are complacent as they always get punters turning up. The Gower Inn and Worms Head however plumb the depths and give the whole area bad name.

Spot on....unfortunately. Complacency is slowly kill the region.....

The Gower Inn, Parkmill on 19:58 - Jul 24 with 1697 viewsEbo

The Gower Inn, Parkmill on 15:48 - Jul 24 by Yossarian

Spot on....unfortunately. Complacency is slowly kill the region.....

I had fond childhood memories of the Ship in Port Eynon, roll forward 40 years and my god what a difference. I'll bring my Smith and Wesson next time. Talk about a 'saloon'.

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

The Gower Inn, Parkmill on 20:56 - Jul 24 with 1650 viewsdickythorpe

There was a tariff from Mike's Taxis up in the Ship Inn hallway.
A minimum of 4 have to book.
From there to the Britannia was £20 , Kings Head £20,Oxwich Bay £12,Bank Farm £8, Monksland £8, King Arthur £12, Rhosilli £15

I was fancying a pub crawl but at those prices it's going to add up!
The Gower Inn, Parkmill on 21:51 - Jul 24 with 1624 viewsjack247

The Gower Inn, Parkmill on 20:56 - Jul 24 by dickythorpe

There was a tariff from Mike's Taxis up in the Ship Inn hallway.
A minimum of 4 have to book.
From there to the Britannia was £20 , Kings Head £20,Oxwich Bay £12,Bank Farm £8, Monksland £8, King Arthur £12, Rhosilli £15

I was fancying a pub crawl but at those prices it's going to add up!

If you can get 10 or so of you together, hire a minibus with a driver for the day and do a Gower crawl.

You're right, it's not with it if each pint is effectively costing you £20 or so!
The Gower Inn, Parkmill on 22:10 - Jul 24 with 1611 viewsdickythorpe

The Gower Inn, Parkmill on 21:51 - Jul 24 by jack247

If you can get 10 or so of you together, hire a minibus with a driver for the day and do a Gower crawl.

You're right, it's not with it if each pint is effectively costing you £20 or so!

Do you know any firms?
The Gower Inn, Parkmill on 22:30 - Jul 24 with 1600 viewsjack247

The Gower Inn, Parkmill on 22:10 - Jul 24 by dickythorpe

Do you know any firms?

Any of the airport transfer firms will do it.
The Gower Inn, Parkmill on 23:18 - Jul 24 with 1557 viewssherpajacob

Gower pubs have always had the problem of people having to drive to get to them.

Southgate and Pennard don't have a pub between them.

Demographics is now causing more problems, the mumbles milers of my generation in the 80s are now middle aged with families.

In the late 80s we would regularly walk up to 10 miles as a round trip pub crawl, incorporating Beaufort, joiners, plough and harrow, rock and fountain, mumbles mile, kebab van, walk home through the lanes. The Sprint version would involve us only walking as far as Onedins, caswell and back.

The youth of today wouldn't do this, and they don't need to as its all in wind street.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

The Gower Inn, Parkmill on 23:43 - Jul 24 with 1545 viewsjack247

The Gower Inn, Parkmill on 23:18 - Jul 24 by sherpajacob

Gower pubs have always had the problem of people having to drive to get to them.

Southgate and Pennard don't have a pub between them.

Demographics is now causing more problems, the mumbles milers of my generation in the 80s are now middle aged with families.

In the late 80s we would regularly walk up to 10 miles as a round trip pub crawl, incorporating Beaufort, joiners, plough and harrow, rock and fountain, mumbles mile, kebab van, walk home through the lanes. The Sprint version would involve us only walking as far as Onedins, caswell and back.

The youth of today wouldn't do this, and they don't need to as its all in wind street.

Unless it's closed very recently, there is a pub in Southgate.
The Gower Inn, Parkmill on 07:08 - Jul 25 with 1507 viewsscruffyjack

Pennard golf club, really good food at a reasonable price, in a great location and open to the public.
The Gower Inn, Parkmill on 07:14 - Jul 25 with 1505 viewsDr_Winston

The Gower Inn, Parkmill on 22:10 - Jul 24 by dickythorpe

Do you know any firms?

We've used Briggs a number of times. Citytax too.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The Gower Inn, Parkmill on 19:46 - Jul 25 with 1429 viewsBrynCartwright

The Gower Inn, Parkmill on 21:04 - Jul 22 by Private_Partz

Glad to hear it is improving. Believe me, up until recently this place was the absolute pits. Trip Advisor reports were some of the worst anywhere in the country.
Even if they start getting masses of excellent reports it will take years to get rid of the hundreds of poor reports they picked up.
They would do much better to rename the place and start again with a blank sheet.
Thanks for the heads up though. I will give it a go. With very few exceptions there are very few good eateries within striking distance of Killay and Dunvant.

I read some of the Trip Advisor reviews about this place today. What a marvellous, fulfilling life I lead. Only 3 weeks ago they were absolutely shellacking the place. Looks like a place to be avoided. Shame really as I remember it to be in really great location. Broke down outside there 15 years ago. Exhaust fell off.

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024