Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Oceana-The End 22:40 - Jul 22 with 7279 viewsjack2jack

Was in town today and took a couple of photos of the former Top Rank,Oceana,depending on your era.
I'm sure there are some happy memories of the place.

Oceana-The End on 21:10 - Jul 23 with 2269 viewsmansel_thomas

Was a great cinema and club. Never been replaced
Oceana-The End on 21:21 - Jul 23 with 2247 viewsSwanjaxs

Sunday night in Central Park! Best night of the week! Plough Rangers and The Millars boys going at it! Good set of lads the Millars 👍

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Oceana-The End on 21:28 - Jul 23 with 2232 viewsProfessor

Oceana-The End on 20:44 - Jul 23 by Neath_Jack

Didn't a band member die on stage there once, or was that a different club?

Yes. My uncle was there in the early 70s. Electrocuted I think. Some connection to Alex Harvey. His brother perhaps?
Oceana-The End on 22:37 - Jul 23 with 2190 viewsPrivate_Partz

Oceana-The End on 21:28 - Jul 23 by Professor

Yes. My uncle was there in the early 70s. Electrocuted I think. Some connection to Alex Harvey. His brother perhaps?

I thought the band was Vinegar Joe and Elkie Brooks was the lead singer.. could be wrong though, I might have dreamt it.
Showing my age but scene films there when it was the Plaza and the Odeon. Grab a granny night on a Thursday in the Rank as well :-)

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Oceana-The End on 22:40 - Jul 23 with 2185 viewsbuilthjack

Oceana-The End on 20:36 - Jul 23 by Swanzay

Anyone else remember Tesco being on the Kingsway?

Yes. Used to race trolleys along the kings way after a nightclub. One in the trolley, one pushing. Cops just watching the fun.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Oceana-The End on 22:41 - Jul 23 with 2179 viewsraynor94

Oceana-The End on 21:28 - Jul 23 by Professor

Yes his brother Leslie, the Band was a Stone the Crows

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Oceana-The End on 22:42 - Jul 23 with 2178 viewsProfessor

Oceana-The End on 22:37 - Jul 23 by Private_Partz

I thought the band was Vinegar Joe and Elkie Brooks was the lead singer.. could be wrong though, I might have dreamt it.
Showing my age but scene films there when it was the Plaza and the Odeon. Grab a granny night on a Thursday in the Rank as well :-)

A quick search suggests it was Leslie Harvey of Stone the Crows. What me uncle said and the online accounts add up in that he grabbed an unearthed mic. He said everyone thought it was part of the show at first and cheered etc. He told me after I saw New Order there )as the Mayfair)
Oceana-The End on 22:43 - Jul 23 with 2177 viewsGowerjack

I'm old but this was before my time..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leslie_Harvey

Awful way to go.

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Login to get fewer ads

Oceana-The End on 22:45 - Jul 23 with 2173 viewsMuteswan

Oceana-The End on 22:37 - Jul 23 by Private_Partz

It was Les Harvey, brother of Alex Harvey, that was electrocuted. He was with Stone The Crows. Apparently touched a mike which wasn't earthed and the stage was wet.
Oceana-The End on 22:47 - Jul 23 with 2167 viewsMuteswan

Oceana-The End on 22:45 - Jul 23 by Muteswan

It was Les Harvey, brother of Alex Harvey, that was electrocuted. He was with Stone The Crows. Apparently touched a mike which wasn't earthed and the stage was wet.

Sorry, too slow at typing !
Oceana-The End on 22:49 - Jul 23 with 2159 viewsSwanjaxs

Oceana-The End on 22:43 - Jul 23 by Gowerjack

I'm old but this was before my time..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leslie_Harvey

Awful way to go.

Bloody hell the roof must have been in hell of a state! Thank god for health and safety 😮

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.

Oceana-The End on 22:52 - Jul 23 with 2153 viewsMuteswan

Oceana-The End on 22:42 - Jul 23 by Professor

A quick search suggests it was Leslie Harvey of Stone the Crows. What me uncle said and the online accounts add up in that he grabbed an unearthed mic. He said everyone thought it was part of the show at first and cheered etc. He told me after I saw New Order there )as the Mayfair)

Saw some great bands at the Rank back in the 70's. Ten Years After, Wishbone Ash, Rory Gallagher to name a few.
Oceana-The End on 22:52 - Jul 23 with 2153 viewsSTID2017

Oceana-The End on 00:00 - Jul 23 by Gowerjack

Memories of the Odeon/Top Rank

Saturday morning film club in the mid 70's they were still showing Flash Gordon from the 30's!

My 1st ever gig - Squeeze

Loads of great films in the late 80's and early 90's

And well a few other things best kept private...

Was that the Johnny Owen charity concert with Elvis Costello also on the bill?
If so me and my now wife were there that night.
Went to the Odeon many times, as well as the Top Rank.
Met my now wife there and we've been married 34 years today -even went there for my stag do

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Oceana-The End on 22:54 - Jul 23 with 2145 viewsGowerjack

Oceana-The End on 22:49 - Jul 23 by Swanjaxs

Bloody hell the roof must have been in hell of a state! Thank god for health and safety 😮

Almost certainly nothing to do with the roof.

Bearing in mind the Top Rank was underground.

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Oceana-The End on 22:56 - Jul 23 with 2135 viewsSwanjaxs

Oceana-The End on 22:54 - Jul 23 by Gowerjack

Almost certainly nothing to do with the roof.

Bearing in mind the Top Rank was underground.

Wiki says " Rainy day and puddles on stage" ..... strange one indeed

Oceana-The End on 05:09 - Jul 24 with 2068 viewsEasternJack

Forgive my ignorance as it's been a while since I've been"home". Is this the old odeon cinema on the kingsway?

Poll: Hull vs Middlesborough - What do we want?

Oceana-The End on 08:03 - Jul 24 with 2031 viewsSTID2017

Oceana-The End on 05:09 - Jul 24 by EasternJack

Forgive my ignorance as it's been a while since I've been"home". Is this the old odeon cinema on the kingsway?

Yes. Very sad to see it go - was great in it's heyday

Oceana-The End on 10:34 - Jul 24 with 1985 viewscontroversial_jack

Met Mrs controversial there in 84.It was a great night out when it was the Top Rank and later Mayfair. Revellers used to go there from miles away, that and Barons were the two best nights in Swansea during the 80s Very sad to see it go
Oceana-The End on 18:05 - Jul 24 with 1914 viewstaffpunk

I went just about everywhere watching Punk bands between 1977 and 82. I think I only went there 3 times, I saw The Stranglers there with the Dictators supporting, went to Cardiff the night before as well. Also saw Sham 69 there with a dreadful Reggae band supporting, and Siouxsie with Altered Images supporting. Always sad to see these places closing/being knocked down.

Second Time Around Record Shop-Tonypandy, RCT-Open Friday and Saturday. Valley Leaflets-Reliable Leaflet Distribution throughout South Wales.

Oceana-The End on 19:12 - Jul 24 with 1864 viewsjackson5

Remember a Swans do there Save the Swans when the club was in trouble with Lenny Henry, Brilliant guy and later mixed with the people that was there sad and Good times

Women are like elephants. I like to look at 'em, but I wouldn't want to own one. W. C. Fields

Oceana-The End on 19:19 - Jul 24 with 1852 viewsjesushchrist

That place was fingering heaven for me in the 90's, blasted my way through a dozen chuffs and loved every single one.
Oceana-The End on 19:26 - Jul 24 with 1848 viewsPegojack

Remember seeing Zulu and The Sound of Music at the Odeon as a kid in the mid sixties.
Oceana-The End on 20:31 - Jul 24 with 1796 viewsEdmundo

Oceana-The End on 00:00 - Jul 23 by Gowerjack

Memories of the Odeon/Top Rank

Saturday morning film club in the mid 70's they were still showing Flash Gordon from the 30's!

My 1st ever gig - Squeeze

Loads of great films in the late 80's and early 90's

And well a few other things best kept private...

Dexys Midnight Runners played there....when was the Top Rank....epic night, mullered on top floor hanging off the banisters 😁

Swansea City-Officially the best football team in Wales-FACT

Oceana-The End on 05:47 - Jul 25 with 1742 viewsShonky

Oceana-The End on 21:09 - Jul 23 by lifelong

Ryan at The Rank 1975.

Ryan was in Babes in the wood. 1976/7. Hang on that was in the Grand.
In order to keep on topic , I saw Pop Will Eat itself in October 1990 . Cant remember if was Ritzy then.
[Post edited 25 Jul 2017 5:47]

Its just a ride...

Oceana-The End on 07:04 - Jul 25 with 1720 viewsSTID2017

Oceana-The End on 05:47 - Jul 25 by Shonky

Ryan was in Babes in the wood. 1976/7. Hang on that was in the Grand.
In order to keep on topic , I saw Pop Will Eat itself in October 1990 . Cant remember if was Ritzy then.
[Post edited 25 Jul 2017 5:47]

Used to love Ryan & Ronnie - "Don't call Will on your Father" - brilliant comedy
Had to be Welsh to understand some of it, like boys / men calling their dads by their names, hence that catchphrase

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024