Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dunkirk - A review 23:49 - Jul 23 with 4855 viewsSoberBaker

Went to see this tonight. Pretty decent film that has to be watched in the cinema rather than phone/tablet/TV.

A few observations...

*Harry Styles didn't quite come the c*nt as I expected he would in it.

*I wish I'd found out before the film that there was three different timelines within the film that made it hard to follow. Probably be better if I watch it again.

*The sound effects were awesome - particularly the air battles.

*No minge.

Overall - 7/10

Yours
B. Norman

AMOW

Dunkirk - A review on 08:10 - Jul 24 with 4743 viewsSTID2017

Me and missus StTID went to see it this afternoon.
Enjoyed it, expected it to be more of a story built around the characters, rather than almost "biographical" and quite jumpy.
At times confusing (a couple of times jumped between night and day)
Definetly worth a trip to the cinema where the sound quality and big screen do it justice.
7/10

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Dunkirk - A review on 11:04 - Jul 24 with 4649 viewsMarinaJack

Great film, fair play to our brave men and women of the past
Dunkirk - A review on 11:08 - Jul 25 with 4464 viewsperplex

Good film, but overhyped, i thought the last war film I watched Hacksaw Ridge was better.
Dunkirk - A review on 14:35 - Jul 25 with 4373 viewsGaryjack

Hope to go see this next week sometime. A little known fact though that should get me lots and lots of up arrows, is that the Germans actually held on to Dunkirk until 9th May 1945. The day after their official surrender.
Dunkirk - A review on 20:39 - Jul 26 with 4198 viewsNeath_Jack

Went to see it this evening, disappointed to be honest, thought it was going to be one of those blow you away films. It wasn't though, not a bad film all the same.

As an aside, I've never sat in a cinema audience before, where the clientele were mostly very elderly gents, good to see them out enjoying themselves though.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Dunkirk - A review on 20:59 - Jul 26 with 4170 viewsicecoldjack

Saw it last night, really enjoyed it, was expecting it to be worse but was pleasantly surprised.
Dunkirk - A review on 21:03 - Jul 26 with 4159 viewsexiledclaseboy

Dunkirk - A review on 20:39 - Jul 26 by Neath_Jack

Went to see it this evening, disappointed to be honest, thought it was going to be one of those blow you away films. It wasn't though, not a bad film all the same.

As an aside, I've never sat in a cinema audience before, where the clientele were mostly very elderly gents, good to see them out enjoying themselves though.

Last Wednesday, War for the Planet of the Apes, Vue, midday-ish showing. There were a grand total of five of us in there, including me and the wife. And still the other couple who sat in our pre-booked fat boy seats had the cheek to huff and puff when we pointed out they were in our seats. The fifth person was an elderly gent who was probably wondering where Charlton Heston was and why the apes look like actual apes as opposed to Roddy McDowall in a ropey mask.

My all time record was at a showing of Fahrenheit 9/11 years ago. There were two of us in there and the other fella also worked in the same place as me. Oh, we laughed at that for literally seconds.

Poll: Tory leader

Dunkirk - A review on 21:06 - Jul 26 with 4148 viewsGaryjack

Dunkirk - A review on 21:03 - Jul 26 by exiledclaseboy

Last Wednesday, War for the Planet of the Apes, Vue, midday-ish showing. There were a grand total of five of us in there, including me and the wife. And still the other couple who sat in our pre-booked fat boy seats had the cheek to huff and puff when we pointed out they were in our seats. The fifth person was an elderly gent who was probably wondering where Charlton Heston was and why the apes look like actual apes as opposed to Roddy McDowall in a ropey mask.

My all time record was at a showing of Fahrenheit 9/11 years ago. There were two of us in there and the other fella also worked in the same place as me. Oh, we laughed at that for literally seconds.

How did you rate War for the Planet of the Apes? That's on my to do list in the next week or so as well.
Login to get fewer ads

Dunkirk - A review on 21:12 - Jul 26 with 4144 viewsexiledclaseboy

Dunkirk - A review on 21:06 - Jul 26 by Garyjack

How did you rate War for the Planet of the Apes? That's on my to do list in the next week or so as well.

Well I'm a bit biased because I've been a geek for the entire apes franchise for years, even the dodgy 1970s ones. But we both loved the entire trilogy (Rise, Dawn, War). 9/10. It's superbly done and the effects are superb. Go see it.

Poll: Tory leader

Dunkirk - A review on 21:16 - Jul 26 with 4130 viewsGaryjack

Dunkirk - A review on 21:12 - Jul 26 by exiledclaseboy

Well I'm a bit biased because I've been a geek for the entire apes franchise for years, even the dodgy 1970s ones. But we both loved the entire trilogy (Rise, Dawn, War). 9/10. It's superbly done and the effects are superb. Go see it.

That'll do.
Dunkirk - A review on 21:54 - Jul 26 with 4084 viewsFlashberryjack

Dunkirk - A review on 14:35 - Jul 25 by Garyjack

Hope to go see this next week sometime. A little known fact though that should get me lots and lots of up arrows, is that the Germans actually held on to Dunkirk until 9th May 1945. The day after their official surrender.

They're still holding onto it.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Dunkirk - A review on 22:06 - Jul 26 with 4063 viewsymaohyd

Enjoyed Dunkirk, however...

For a number of scenes the houses in the background looked too modern with loft conversions and velux windows installed.

The dialogue alluded to there being 400,000 odd thousand soldiers on the beach looked about 300 hundred.

In reality did only a few boats turn up at once?

In the film only about 10 were in the rescue, was expecting to see hundreds.

Blog: World Cup Performance = Transfer Speculation?

Dunkirk - A review on 07:09 - Jul 27 with 3965 viewsSTID2017

Watched Titanic with our two girls.
One (13 years old) turns round and says "What's all the fuss about this Titanic anyway ?"
Paused the film and gave her a short, sharp history lesson.
It is honestly my belief that kids see so much death & tragedy in fiction and real life, that they become almost immune to it.
Sad state of affairs
BTW James Cameron's Titanic is still a brilliant watch even though it's the umpteenth time I've watched it
EDIT - meant to post this on Watch films have you watched lately thread
[Post edited 27 Jul 2017 7:10]

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Dunkirk - A review on 07:49 - Jul 27 with 3939 viewsJackfath

I saw this yesterday. I thoroughly enjoyed. I think having visited the battlefields in Ypres (yes I know a different era) it certainly adds another dimension to ones feelings about what our ancestors had to endure. It made me think "what will I have achieved in my lifetime"?

This was compounded when afterwards a rare visit to McDonald's was disturbed by some teen girl screaming her head off at some group of lads that "she wasn't fu. Cking pregnant" and more directly they " were a bunch of c.unts". A charming lady. This was at approx 2.30pm with many families about.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Dunkirk - A review on 09:29 - Jul 27 with 3906 viewsProfessor

Dunkirk - A review on 07:49 - Jul 27 by Jackfath

I saw this yesterday. I thoroughly enjoyed. I think having visited the battlefields in Ypres (yes I know a different era) it certainly adds another dimension to ones feelings about what our ancestors had to endure. It made me think "what will I have achieved in my lifetime"?

This was compounded when afterwards a rare visit to McDonald's was disturbed by some teen girl screaming her head off at some group of lads that "she wasn't fu. Cking pregnant" and more directly they " were a bunch of c.unts". A charming lady. This was at approx 2.30pm with many families about.

Saw it on IMAX last night. Was aware of the three timelines and had no problem with the narrative. The lack of a single or even two protagonists was interesting in that almost each performance is a supporting one to a central theme. I preferred the absence of mass CGI. No masses of troops or skies filled with planes or thousands of boats. For me it humanised the fates of each individual . The young 'tommys' (Harry Styles was pretty good), Mark Rylance as the boat owner, Cilllian Murphy's traumatised officer , Tom Hardy as the Spitfire pilot to Ken Branagh as the naval commander on the mole each following a intertwined path. For something on a large scale it at times was claustrophobic, incredibly tense yet also cathartic. In a way it is not a war film in the way that Jaws is not about the shark. It is about the people.

A fitting tribute to the bravery of the servicemen and women and those that took their boats to Dunkirk. Incredible sound and visuals
Dunkirk - A review on 03:20 - Jul 28 with 3747 viewsTreforys_Jack

Did a battlefield tour of Dunkirk and the Atlantic wall earlier on in the year. Very educational and incredibly moving. It concentrated a lot on the shrinking defence around Dunkirk and the sacrifices made by men who new they stood very little chance of evacuation. Dispelled a lot of popular myths. Not seen the film yet, but looking forward to it this weekend hopefully.
Anyone know if Mark Rylances character is based on Charles Lightoller.
Dunkirk - A review on 04:22 - Jul 28 with 3736 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Saw it tonight, definitely lived up to the hype.

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Dunkirk - A review on 05:41 - Jul 28 with 3714 viewsHumpty

Dunkirk - A review on 09:29 - Jul 27 by Professor

Saw it on IMAX last night. Was aware of the three timelines and had no problem with the narrative. The lack of a single or even two protagonists was interesting in that almost each performance is a supporting one to a central theme. I preferred the absence of mass CGI. No masses of troops or skies filled with planes or thousands of boats. For me it humanised the fates of each individual . The young 'tommys' (Harry Styles was pretty good), Mark Rylance as the boat owner, Cilllian Murphy's traumatised officer , Tom Hardy as the Spitfire pilot to Ken Branagh as the naval commander on the mole each following a intertwined path. For something on a large scale it at times was claustrophobic, incredibly tense yet also cathartic. In a way it is not a war film in the way that Jaws is not about the shark. It is about the people.

A fitting tribute to the bravery of the servicemen and women and those that took their boats to Dunkirk. Incredible sound and visuals

Dunkirk - A review on 07:32 - Jul 28 with 3669 viewsProfessor

Dunkirk - A review on 05:41 - Jul 28 by Humpty

The good Dr Kermode. His wife is a Professor too.

I take that as quite a compliment.
Dunkirk - A review on 09:39 - Jul 28 with 3637 viewsWarwickHunt

Dunkirk - A review on 22:06 - Jul 26 by ymaohyd

Enjoyed Dunkirk, however...

For a number of scenes the houses in the background looked too modern with loft conversions and velux windows installed.

The dialogue alluded to there being 400,000 odd thousand soldiers on the beach looked about 300 hundred.

In reality did only a few boats turn up at once?

In the film only about 10 were in the rescue, was expecting to see hundreds.

"400,000 odd thousand soldiers on the beach"

That's 400 million,mun! Has Diane Abbott hacked your account?
Dunkirk - A review on 05:56 - Jul 29 with 3492 viewsHumpty

Dunkirk - A review on 07:32 - Jul 28 by Professor

The good Dr Kermode. His wife is a Professor too.

I take that as quite a compliment.

What is he a doctor of? I'm guessing that it is slightly less impressive than yours. Which is an actual thing. Doctor of judging things he watches on telly?

Doctor of pretentious bollocks?
Dunkirk - A review on 09:29 - Jul 29 with 3431 viewsProfessor

Dunkirk - A review on 05:56 - Jul 29 by Humpty

What is he a doctor of? I'm guessing that it is slightly less impressive than yours. Which is an actual thing. Doctor of judging things he watches on telly?

Doctor of pretentious bollocks?

His PHD is about horror writing and films I believe. Mine is microbiology . At least he has a real doctorate. I like him as a critic but prefer him on radio where Simon Mayo keeps it grounded.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024