Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I miss this place 20:46 - Jul 25 with 12371 viewsE20Jack

Poll: 6 point deduction and sellouts lose all their cash?

I miss this place on 21:13 - Jul 25 with 5259 viewsjimmyquipment

loved the place.
I miss this place on 21:14 - Jul 25 with 5251 viewsE20Jack

I miss this place on 21:13 - Jul 25 by jimmyquipment

loved the place.

I don't think I will ever have that feeling towards another football ground in my life. Truly special memories.

I miss this place on 21:38 - Jul 25 with 5183 viewsraynor94

Some happy memories there over 45 years, but I can't say I miss it, thank god the football experience has evolved

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

I miss this place on 21:47 - Jul 25 with 5134 viewsE20Jack

I miss this place on 21:38 - Jul 25 by raynor94

Some happy memories there over 45 years, but I can't say I miss it, thank god the football experience has evolved

Give me standing on a wet, smoke filled stmosphere packed North Bank with thousands of like minded fanatics any day. Some of the home games I went to over the last few years at the Liberty have the atmosphere the Vetch used to have in pre season friendly games. I generally only make away matches now and much prefer them truth be told.

I miss this place on 21:59 - Jul 25 with 5082 viewsploppy

I miss this place on 21:47 - Jul 25 by E20Jack

Give me standing on a wet, smoke filled stmosphere packed North Bank with thousands of like minded fanatics any day. Some of the home games I went to over the last few years at the Liberty have the atmosphere the Vetch used to have in pre season friendly games. I generally only make away matches now and much prefer them truth be told.

Couldn't beat a midweek game (always Tuesday) under lights in the 70s, in the days of the East terrace and double decker. Walking into the North Bank, left side obviously, coz the "naughty boys" were on the right side, seeing the green of the pitch (except when it was mostly sand up the middle), barely 1300 people but still a great atmosphere, jumpers for goalposts, giggsy wiggsy, mmmm, marvellous, is it. Maybe it looked better in the dark because you couldn't see how few people were there. And what was that smell? I always thought it was cigar smoke but I never saw anyone smoking a cigar.
I miss this place on 22:03 - Jul 25 with 5049 viewsraynor94

I miss this place on 21:47 - Jul 25 by E20Jack

The thousands of like minded fanatics on a packed North Bank, were not that regular, when they were yes the atmosphere was brilliant, but I can remember so many other occasions when it was like a morgue. But still it was home

I miss this place on 22:04 - Jul 25 with 5041 viewsE20Jack

I miss this place on 21:59 - Jul 25 by ploppy

Couldn't beat a midweek game (always Tuesday) under lights in the 70s, in the days of the East terrace and double decker. Walking into the North Bank, left side obviously, coz the "naughty boys" were on the right side, seeing the green of the pitch (except when it was mostly sand up the middle), barely 1300 people but still a great atmosphere, jumpers for goalposts, giggsy wiggsy, mmmm, marvellous, is it. Maybe it looked better in the dark because you couldn't see how few people were there. And what was that smell? I always thought it was cigar smoke but I never saw anyone smoking a cigar.

Yes it did have a very distinctive cigary smell. It was a whole host of different brands of tobacco and pastys I think. I am a non smoker but get flashbacks to the Vetch whenever I walk past my works smoking area in the rain. The feeling walking up the north bank steps and getting that glimpse of green with the North Bank boards at the back getting beaten like a drum was something I will always remember until I die. Always seemed to be a buzz around the place even if it was relatively quiet, a weird energy in the air. Great times.

I miss this place on 22:08 - Jul 25 with 5022 viewsE20Jack

I miss this place on 22:03 - Jul 25 by raynor94

The thousands of like minded fanatics on a packed North Bank, were not that regular, when they were yes the atmosphere was brilliant, but I can remember so many other occasions when it was like a morgue. But still it was home

Yeah like most places it was quiet too. But I will always remember the Vetch for a cracking atmosphere. We used to have a variety of chants, great banter and humour and truly passionate singing. We sang a song that seemed to span the length of a half on many occasions.

The Liberty wont remembered by me for its passion and its atmospheres when im grey and old, I feel a massive difference between the passion in the two. And we now outnumber the old crowd of the 90's by 500%.
[Post edited 25 Jul 2017 22:09]

Login to get fewer ads

I miss this place on 22:26 - Jul 25 with 4944 views1983

It was sh1t but it was our sh1t

I miss this place on 22:27 - Jul 25 with 4939 viewsGowerjack

A pint or two in the Gari

The buzz around the ground
Floodlights
Police

The smell of tobacco chips grass alcohol and liinement as you emerged blinking into the glare of the floodlights...

Who are we?

I feel sorry for our younger fans who never experienced the viseral experience of a night at the Vetch.

I miss it.

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

I miss this place on 22:32 - Jul 25 with 4915 viewsRancid

I don't lose sleep over it although I'd better say I miss it terribly.The pubs nearby i miss.
I miss this place on 23:13 - Jul 25 with 4810 viewsnicky

I still miss the place.

Stood or sat in every part of the ground from the old east terrace to the "new" east stand, upstairs in the old double decker and even the enclosure for one game.

It was a run down, ramshackle, dilapidated old eyesore of a lovely, lovely football ground.
I miss this place on 23:22 - Jul 25 with 4783 viewsSwanseajill

I miss this place on 22:27 - Jul 25 by Gowerjack

A pint or two in the Gari

The buzz around the ground
Floodlights
Police

The smell of tobacco chips grass alcohol and liinement as you emerged blinking into the glare of the floodlights...

Who are we?

I feel sorry for our younger fans who never experienced the viseral experience of a night at the Vetch.

I miss it.

Your springing a tear now GJ
A linement smell...Was the Vetch. And to me, the friends we made in the Harry Griffiths bar are still around, but unfortunately not together in one place anymore.

When the players would join the fans for a pint in The Paxton. And the fans who made those long journeys to get to the home matches, would often gather pre match in The Builders Arms.

And OuR players, were always..Great Players indeed.
I miss this place on 23:32 - Jul 25 with 4756 viewsWarwickHunt

I miss this place on 22:04 - Jul 25 by E20Jack

Yes it did have a very distinctive cigary smell. It was a whole host of different brands of tobacco and pastys I think. I am a non smoker but get flashbacks to the Vetch whenever I walk past my works smoking area in the rain. The feeling walking up the north bank steps and getting that glimpse of green with the North Bank boards at the back getting beaten like a drum was something I will always remember until I die. Always seemed to be a buzz around the place even if it was relatively quiet, a weird energy in the air. Great times.

"Yes it did have a very distinctive cigary smell. It was a whole host of different brands of tobacco and pastys I think"

[Post edited 25 Jul 2017 23:33]
I miss this place on 02:21 - Jul 26 with 4668 viewsDJack

I miss this place on 22:03 - Jul 25 by raynor94

and many times piss-wet and cold.

Floodlit games though...*sigh*

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

I miss this place on 07:52 - Jul 26 with 4560 viewsVetchfielder

In 1998 I was working in Yorkshire with a Birmingham supporter. We got talking about football chants and songs and I commented on the number of different songs we sang. We agreed to count our songs on the next Saturday's matches. So it didn't count if you sang the same song twice.

On Monday morning, he said proudly that BCFC had sung 13 different songs.

It was a pain keeping count but I had counted 32 different songs on the North Bank.

He thought I'd exaggerated but that was absolutely correct; I wonder how many we manage at the Lib?

Proud to have been one of the 231

I miss this place on 08:41 - Jul 26 with 4499 viewstrampie

I miss this place on 21:59 - Jul 25 by ploppy

That's interesting are you saying Swans tended to play home midweek fixtures on a Tuesday night back then ?, I thought most teams played at 19.30 on a Wednesday night.
Swans did not always conform as I seem to remember them playing games on a Friday and Monday night during the rise the first time round.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2017 8:57]

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

I miss this place on 08:44 - Jul 26 with 4486 viewsWhiterockin

I miss this place on 08:41 - Jul 26 by trampie

That's interesting are you saying Swans tended to play home midweek fixtures on a Tuesday night back then ?, I thought most teams played at 19.30 on a Wednesday night.
Swans did not always conform as I seem to remember them playing games on a Friday and Monday night during the rise the first time round.

Friday night games were normally when the rugby internationals were being played on a Saturday.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2017 8:45]
I miss this place on 08:54 - Jul 26 with 4454 viewstrampie

I miss this place on 08:44 - Jul 26 by Whiterockin

Friday night games were normally when the rugby internationals were being played on a Saturday.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2017 8:45]

Yes they often were and I think the vital last home game of the season when Swans got promoted to the top Division first time round was a Monday night (I might be wrong).
But were Swans playing Tuesday night fixtures back in the 70s when the top div teams seemed to play on a Wednesday as well as European fixtures etc.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.

I miss this place on 09:42 - Jul 26 with 4378 viewsploppy

I miss this place on 08:41 - Jul 26 by trampie

Just had a quick look at our fixtures from the early/mid 70s. The majority of midweek games were on a Tuesday but as you said, there's a sprinkling of Mondays and Wednesdays. Quite a few Fridays but I'm guessing most of them were because of rugby on the Saturday. I also remember the first game we played on a Sunday. It was weird travelling to town on the bus and finding it (the town) virtually empty.

Edit: Just had another look. Most of the Wednesdays were away games. D'oh.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2017 10:02]
I miss this place on 10:26 - Jul 26 with 4321 viewstrampie

I miss this place on 09:42 - Jul 26 by ploppy

Just had a quick look at our fixtures from the early/mid 70s. The majority of midweek games were on a Tuesday but as you said, there's a sprinkling of Mondays and Wednesdays. Quite a few Fridays but I'm guessing most of them were because of rugby on the Saturday. I also remember the first game we played on a Sunday. It was weird travelling to town on the bus and finding it (the town) virtually empty.

Edit: Just had another look. Most of the Wednesdays were away games. D'oh.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2017 10:02]

Back in the day midweek games tended to by Wednesday night for most teams, 7.30 kick off, Swansea might have been a bit different to the norm like Tranmere playing on a Friday night and Millwall late kick off on a Saturday.
I remember when teams started having Tuesday fixtures and thinking 'what that all about' and then 19.45 kick offs and thinking 'whats that all about'.

I miss this place on 10:36 - Jul 26 with 4300 viewsraynor94

I miss this place on 10:26 - Jul 26 by trampie

Back in the day midweek games tended to by Wednesday night for most teams, 7.30 kick off, Swansea might have been a bit different to the norm like Tranmere playing on a Friday night and Millwall late kick off on a Saturday.
I remember when teams started having Tuesday fixtures and thinking 'what that all about' and then 19.45 kick offs and thinking 'whats that all about'.

Well I started going in 65, and games were always a Tuesday 7.30 kick offs, same all over the Country, games in those days on Mondays or Wednesdays were either cup replays or rearranged games, and then European nights were always a Wednesday, so Tuesday was always the main night

I miss this place on 11:31 - Jul 26 with 4245 viewsMrSwerve

I do miss the brilliant atmosphere, the smell, the buzz around the stadium...however all of football is or has moved away from that type of group now. I do feel sorry for newer fans who never experienced it.

The move to the Liberty was all part and parcel of our rise to the Premier League though.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

I miss this place on 11:38 - Jul 26 with 4227 viewsJoe_bradshaw

I miss this place on 10:36 - Jul 26 by raynor94

Well I started going in 65, and games were always a Tuesday 7.30 kick offs, same all over the Country, games in those days on Mondays or Wednesdays were either cup replays or rearranged games, and then European nights were always a Wednesday, so Tuesday was always the main night

You were a year before me Rayns and my memory is the same as yours.

There's a slight chance we're both senile in equal measure mind.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

I miss this place on 11:40 - Jul 26 with 4222 viewssherpajacob

I miss this place on 08:54 - Jul 26 by trampie

Yes they often were and I think the vital last home game of the season when Swans got promoted to the top Division first time round was a Monday night (I might be wrong).
But were Swans playing Tuesday night fixtures back in the 70s when the top div teams seemed to play on a Wednesday as well as European fixtures etc.

If it was a,Monday, I think that was because Luton had a,fixture backlog and they probably played again later that week.

I may be completely wrong. I frequently am.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024