Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I miss this place 20:46 - Jul 25 with 12374 viewsE20Jack

Poll: 6 point deduction and sellouts lose all their cash?

I miss this place on 17:29 - Jul 26 with 1327 viewsraynor94

I miss this place on 17:13 - Jul 26 by trampie

I started watching football in the early 70s and Wednesday night was the main night, I just checked the football Bible out for 70/71 and most teams played on a Wednesday night (Swansea didn't - bet the All Whites played midweek games on a Wednesday), just looking at the top division alone every time there was midweek fixtures there was more games on the Wednesday than the Tuesday.

I shouldn't have binned my old Rothmans, from when I started watching Tuesday night was the most popular nights, especially for third and and fourth division teams Wednesday was always the European nights for the top clubs. And in my fifty years I've never known a Swans game be moved because of the Whites

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

I miss this place on 17:35 - Jul 26 with 1322 viewsWhiterockin

I miss this place on 17:27 - Jul 26 by nicky

can anyone remember why Torquay used to kick off their home games at 7.30 on a Saturday?

It used to take ages to get there.
I miss this place on 17:44 - Jul 26 with 1311 viewsGaryjack

can anyone remember why Torquay used to kick off their home games at 7.30 on a Saturday?

I don't think it was because it would give the away fans more time to riot and loot their town centre before the game started, but that's what used to happen on a regular basis!
I miss this place on 17:49 - Jul 26 with 1306 viewstrampie

I miss this place on 17:29 - Jul 26 by raynor94

I shouldn't have binned my old Rothmans, from when I started watching Tuesday night was the most popular nights, especially for third and and fourth division teams Wednesday was always the European nights for the top clubs. And in my fifty years I've never known a Swans game be moved because of the Whites

The majority of midweek first division fixtures were on a Wednesday night in the 70s not just Internationals and European fixtures, Swans were down the league's and the All Whites were one of the stronger teams in Wales even in the UK on occasion.
Just checked out 1972 Rothmans rugby (first year out) and the All Whites had home midweek fixtures in Sept and Oct and both times on a Wednesday night.
The Swans would not have gone against the All Whites back in the day, when others were playing on a Wednesday including most of the big boys little old Swansea would have said to the football league put us down for a Tuesday incase the All Whites are playing.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

I miss this place on 17:53 - Jul 26 with 1299 viewstrampie

Well well Swans seemed to be playing home games regularly at 03.15 on a Saturday late 50s/early 60s why ?

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.

I miss this place on 18:07 - Jul 26 with 1282 viewsWarwickHunt

I miss this place on 13:41 - Jul 26 by Garyjack

Belli's. Not sure if i've spelt it right?

Yep - Belli's. Staffed exclusively by huge fat birds (Belli Belles...) with bad skin.

I think they got paid in chips.
I miss this place on 18:27 - Jul 26 with 1265 viewstrampie

I miss this place on 17:29 - Jul 26 by raynor94

I was told the 70/71 edition go's for three figures in good nick.

I miss this place on 18:58 - Jul 26 with 1240 viewsmonmouth

I miss this place on 16:58 - Jul 26 by raynor94

Tuesday night games were always the main night, when I started watching in 65 I posted it earlier, and 7.30 kick offs were gone by early eighties except for Scunthorpe who I'm not sure still do

Yeah, 7.30 Tuesday night is my memory. No fannying around at half time and final whistle at ten past nine.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Login to get fewer ads

I miss this place on 19:06 - Jul 26 with 1231 viewsraynor94

I miss this place on 18:27 - Jul 26 by trampie

I used to buy them religiously, would spend hours trawling through them, fascinating books

I miss this place on 19:21 - Jul 26 with 1210 viewstaffpunk

I miss this place on 18:27 - Jul 26 by trampie

Hardback Issues can go for good money, soft ones go for dirt cheap these days.

Second Time Around Record Shop-Tonypandy, RCT-Open Friday and Saturday. Valley Leaflets-Reliable Leaflet Distribution throughout South Wales.

I miss this place on 19:53 - Jul 26 with 1171 viewstrampie

Swans for a team that tends to play on a Tuesday have had some of their best wins on a Wednesday, Spurs, Liverpool and Chelsea all away in the League Cup and I think the WHU home fa cup game was on a Wednesday.

But the kiddie for the Swans must be the rarely used Monday, Luton last home league game of the season (although it was a draw it was vital), Forest in the playoff semi and I think also the FA Cup win over Palace at Ninian Park might have been a Monday also.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2017 21:31]

I miss this place on 19:54 - Jul 26 with 1167 viewschangingman

I miss this place on 15:13 - Jul 26 by biggar

Have they started building on the site yet?

Yes they have, I walked through there a few weeks ago. They are building flats at the North Bank / East Bank corner. I asked one of the guys working there, and he said that the people who are presently living in the Saint Davids square flats are being moved to The Vetch.
I miss this place on 20:52 - Jul 26 with 1125 viewsjacktar

I rang up and asked what time was the kick off. They said " what time can you get here?"

The old ones are the best.

We shouldn't all be tarred with the same brush you know!

I miss this place on 21:16 - Jul 26 with 1104 viewsGowerjack

I miss this place on 18:58 - Jul 26 by monmouth

Yeah, 7.30 Tuesday night is my memory. No fannying around at half time and final whistle at ten past nine.

Absolutely

Evening games were on Tuesday's.

Up until about 1990 the KO was 7.30 after that 7.45.

FACT.

And I don't give a flying about what Trampie believes/read in a book.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2017 21:18]

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

I miss this place on 22:09 - Jul 26 with 1064 viewsjacktar

Like wading through the puddles and then the p1ss when you went to the bog at half time. ( I can even remember queuing for that pleasure in the good days) Then join the queue for a pasty without even washing your hands.
Those were the days aye!

We shouldn't all be tarred with the same brush you know!

I miss this place on 22:31 - Jul 26 with 1041 viewsSwanseajill

I miss this place on 21:16 - Jul 26 by Gowerjack

Absolutely

Evening games were on Tuesday's.

Up until about 1990 the KO was 7.30 after that 7.45.

FACT.

And I don't give a flying about what Trampie believes/read in a book.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2017 21:18]

Youre correct, and I must be a bit of a fossilised fan as I'm sure I've seen more 7-30 kick offs than 7-45.
Hubby often worked nights and needed to be in work by 10pm. He was livid when we were changing to 7-45 kick offs, as he had to miss at least the last ten minutes of every night game.
I miss this place on 22:47 - Jul 26 with 1029 viewsraynor94

I miss this place on 22:31 - Jul 26 by Swanseajill

Youre correct, and I must be a bit of a fossilised fan as I'm sure I've seen more 7-30 kick offs than 7-45.
Hubby often worked nights and needed to be in work by 10pm. He was livid when we were changing to 7-45 kick offs, as he had to miss at least the last ten minutes of every night game.

I'm the same Jill, 7.30 on a Tuesday and it was 3.15 on a Saturday, for the life of me can't remember when it switched to 3.00

I miss this place on 23:01 - Jul 26 with 1019 viewsploppy

I miss this place on 22:47 - Jul 26 by raynor94

I'm the same Jill, 7.30 on a Tuesday and it was 3.15 on a Saturday, for the life of me can't remember when it switched to 3.00

Definitely 7:30 on Tuesday all through the 70s at least. Must admit, I'd completely forgotten that Saturdays were 3:15.
I miss this place on 23:25 - Jul 26 with 1004 viewsswan65split

I miss this place on 16:53 - Jul 26 by trampie

Just to underline how quirky the Swans kick off times have been, I was aware of Millwall kicking off 15 mins later than the rest on a Saturday when at home back in the day but apparently Plymouth did at one time also and the Albion fan talking about it had found an away programme where they kicked off at 03.15 pm in an away game and it was away to the Swans, lol.
Swansea are not conventional.

yep ko aat the Vetch was a 3.15
I miss this place on 23:34 - Jul 26 with 993 viewsGaryjack

I miss this place on 23:25 - Jul 26 by swan65split

yep ko aat the Vetch was a 3.15

What years are we talking about here? because from 1970 at least we kicked off at 3pm!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SWANSEA-CITY-v-ASTON-VIL
[Post edited 26 Jul 2017 23:37]
I miss this place on 23:37 - Jul 26 with 988 viewsraynor94

I miss this place on 23:34 - Jul 26 by Garyjack

What years are we talking about here? because from 1970 at least we kicked off at 3pm!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SWANSEA-CITY-v-ASTON-VIL
[Post edited 26 Jul 2017 23:37]

I miss this place on 23:42 - Jul 26 with 982 viewsGaryjack

I miss this place on 23:37 - Jul 26 by raynor94

You're right! 1967.......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SWANSEA-TOWN-NOW-CITY-v-
[Post edited 26 Jul 2017 23:44]
I miss this place on 23:45 - Jul 26 with 970 viewsraynor94

A couple more memories from the sixties, players would come out 5 minutes before kick off, 10 minutes for half time, at the end of the game straight to Radio Rentals to watch the t.v. in the window for all the scores

I miss this place (n/t) on 23:47 - Jul 26 with 962 viewsploppy

I miss this place on 23:01 - Jul 26 by ploppy

Definitely 7:30 on Tuesday all through the 70s at least. Must admit, I'd completely forgotten that Saturdays were 3:15.

I'd forgotten about 3:15 probably because by the 70s, when I started going regularly, they seem to be 3pm.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2017 23:48]
I miss this place on 23:51 - Jul 26 with 949 viewsGaryjack

I miss this place on 23:45 - Jul 26 by raynor94

A couple more memories from the sixties, players would come out 5 minutes before kick off, 10 minutes for half time, at the end of the game straight to Radio Rentals to watch the t.v. in the window for all the scores

Reserves/youth team playing after the first team on a Saturday.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024