Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Electric cars 21:54 - Jul 26 with 4250 viewscontroversial_jack

Everyone driving electric cars by 2040, what a load of crap, it can never happen.
Electric cars on 22:05 - Jul 26 with 1808 viewsploppy

I may be wrong but I understood it was a ban on sales of petrol/diesel cars starting in 2040. I assume everyone who's got a petrol/diesel car can continue to drive them. Regardless, 2040 is such a long way away I can't believe we're even discussing the ins and outs.
Electric cars on 22:08 - Jul 26 with 1802 viewscontroversial_jack

Electric cars on 22:05 - Jul 26 by ploppy

I may be wrong but I understood it was a ban on sales of petrol/diesel cars starting in 2040. I assume everyone who's got a petrol/diesel car can continue to drive them. Regardless, 2040 is such a long way away I can't believe we're even discussing the ins and outs.

Buy one in 2039 and you are sorted for 15 years, but there will be lot of clunkers driving around
Electric cars on 22:11 - Jul 26 with 1793 viewsMagic_Michu

I drive an electric car and it's one of the best decisions I ever made.

It's the best car I've ever driven. Instant torque and power and the most comfortable drive.

On top of that I'm saving around £150 a month on petrol.

It has to be the future... in my opinion the government are pushing the move hard enough.

Twitter: @swanseadan
Poll: Will the Woods deal happen?

Electric cars on 22:12 - Jul 26 with 1783 viewsunion_jack

Electric cars on 22:11 - Jul 26 by Magic_Michu

It's the best car I've ever driven. Instant torque and power and the most comfortable drive.

It has to be the future... in my opinion the government are pushing the move hard enough.

How do you 're-fuel'?

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Electric cars on 22:14 - Jul 26 with 1777 viewsMrSwerve

The end is nigh for petrol heads I'm afraid.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Electric cars on 22:16 - Jul 26 with 1771 viewsSwanjaxs

Has it got Bluetooth?
[Post edited 26 Jul 2017 22:25]

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Electric cars on 22:21 - Jul 26 with 1759 viewsSoberBaker

Makes the governments look good short term, but with all that extra cash in our pockets, where will the shortfall on road tax and fuel tax come from I wonder?

AMOW

Electric cars on 22:22 - Jul 26 with 1757 viewsCooperman

Electric cars on 22:16 - Jul 26 by Swanjaxs

Has it got Bluetooth?
[Post edited 26 Jul 2017 22:25]

Yes, but he has to turn it off to save battery power.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Login to get fewer ads

Electric cars on 22:27 - Jul 26 with 1742 viewsjacktar

I drove an electric car once. It was called a dodgem or a bumper car as we old buggers used to call them. Not sure I'd want to take one on the road though.

We shouldn't all be tarred with the same brush you know!

Electric cars on 22:35 - Jul 26 with 1724 viewslonglostjack

Electric cars on 22:14 - Jul 26 by MrSwerve

The end is nigh for petrol heads I'm afraid.

You're absolutely right. Raises some interesting questions. Will the German car industry go the way of Nokia ? How will the Govt make up for the loss of fuel duties? Will the National Grid cope? The Government's headline policy of 2040 is a complete joke. It's going to happen much sooner than that. Tesla and Volvo leading the way with the others playing catchup.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Electric cars on 22:38 - Jul 26 with 1715 viewsSwanjaxs

A friend of mine took an electric car on a 30 minute test drive around Swansea City Centre and said she was shìting herself by the end... had to break sharply three times because people walked out in front of her, the cars make virtually no noise apparently! Makes you realise that most people hear things before seeing them ...

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.

Electric cars on 22:39 - Jul 26 with 1710 viewscontroversial_jack

Electric cars on 22:35 - Jul 26 by longlostjack

You're absolutely right. Raises some interesting questions. Will the German car industry go the way of Nokia ? How will the Govt make up for the loss of fuel duties? Will the National Grid cope? The Government's headline policy of 2040 is a complete joke. It's going to happen much sooner than that. Tesla and Volvo leading the way with the others playing catchup.

How will they be recharged? It won't be practical to do it at home and there will be horrendous queues and delays at service stations
Electric cars on 22:49 - Jul 26 with 1678 viewsraynor94

What's the range, in between top up?

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Electric cars on 22:51 - Jul 26 with 1673 viewsMrSwerve

Electric cars on 22:35 - Jul 26 by longlostjack

Yep, there's no way the country will be prepared to essentially overhaul the way that the majority of us travel in the space of 20 years.

Battery technology isn't good enough to be in mainstream use. That's before looking at the recharging and national grid problems. I think I heard on the news that this won't affect hybrid cars being sold? This is the way that we need to go, until the infrastructure is in place. (More like 30-40 years I'd say).

Also, think of all of the mechanics jobs that have been pretty much the same for the best part of 100 years with combustion engines. Electric technology will change your back street garages and probably shut many of them down.

Second hand prices for decent petrol cars will go through the roof, if you're into your cars.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Electric cars on 22:55 - Jul 26 with 1657 viewsGaryjack

Electric cars on 22:12 - Jul 26 by union_jack

How do you 're-fuel'?

The electric battery would easily be recharged at a petrol station. It would only take a gallon of petrol to fully recharge the battery which would then last for 20 miles.
Electric cars on 22:58 - Jul 26 with 1649 viewslonglostjack

Electric cars on 22:39 - Jul 26 by controversial_jack

How will they be recharged? It won't be practical to do it at home and there will be horrendous queues and delays at service stations

A friend of a friend has a top range Tesla. Went down to Austria from Hannover in northern Germany and only charged once at a service station while he had a meal. Early days but progress is rapid. I'm old enough to remember the first "mobile phones" in cars. They came in little cases and were as heavy as hell.

Electric cars on 22:59 - Jul 26 with 1646 viewsSwanjaxs

Electric cars on 22:55 - Jul 26 by Garyjack

The electric battery would easily be recharged at a petrol station. It would only take a gallon of petrol to fully recharge the battery which would then last for 20 miles.

How far would you get on a fully charged up battery? If for instance you would have to recharge a battery 8 times to get from Swansea to Glasgow then in my opinion that would be a no goer
[Post edited 26 Jul 2017 23:01]

Electric cars on 23:05 - Jul 26 with 1634 viewslonglostjack

Electric cars on 22:51 - Jul 26 by MrSwerve

Yep, there's no way the country will be prepared to essentially overhaul the way that the majority of us travel in the space of 20 years.

Battery technology isn't good enough to be in mainstream use. That's before looking at the recharging and national grid problems. I think I heard on the news that this won't affect hybrid cars being sold? This is the way that we need to go, until the infrastructure is in place. (More like 30-40 years I'd say).

Also, think of all of the mechanics jobs that have been pretty much the same for the best part of 100 years with combustion engines. Electric technology will change your back street garages and probably shut many of them down.

Second hand prices for decent petrol cars will go through the roof, if you're into your cars.

You're right on the potential impact not only on garages but also on suppliers of components and the logistics sector. An electric engine has approx. 200 components compared to about 2500 in a petrol engine. I'm no expert but was told by a VW engineer.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2017 23:06]

Electric cars on 23:06 - Jul 26 with 1628 viewsGaryjack

Electric cars on 22:59 - Jul 26 by Swanjaxs

How far would you get on a fully charged up battery? If for instance you would have to recharge a battery 8 times to get from Swansea to Glasgow then in my opinion that would be a no goer

I don't think that would be a problem. You just stick the charger into the fag lighter and it will automatically charge as you go.
Electric cars on 23:07 - Jul 26 with 1623 viewsEbo

Electric cars on 22:59 - Jul 26 by Swanjaxs

I was listening to a debate on Radio 4 this morning and they said that the timescale between now and the cut off date is very short in regards of building new power stations, wind farms etc which would service this new demand for electricity.

Battery life and charge time would have to improve immensely also.

My boss drives an electric car and he managed to get to Oxford and back on 2 charges.

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

Electric cars on 23:14 - Jul 26 with 1605 viewsSwanjaxs

Electric cars on 23:06 - Jul 26 by Garyjack

I don't think that would be a problem. You just stick the charger into the fag lighter and it will automatically charge as you go.

Fag lighter! It's a USB charger now! Get down with the kids mun 😂
[Post edited 26 Jul 2017 23:14]

Electric cars on 23:21 - Jul 26 with 1586 viewsGaryjack

Electric cars on 23:14 - Jul 26 by Swanjaxs

Fag lighter! It's a USB charger now! Get down with the kids mun 😂
[Post edited 26 Jul 2017 23:14]

Same concept tho innit!
Electric cars on 23:23 - Jul 26 with 1577 viewscontroversial_jack

Electric cars on 22:58 - Jul 26 by longlostjack

A friend of a friend has a top range Tesla. Went down to Austria from Hannover in northern Germany and only charged once at a service station while he had a meal. Early days but progress is rapid. I'm old enough to remember the first "mobile phones" in cars. They came in little cases and were as heavy as hell.

That's fine, but if loads are trying to charge at the same time just as they do for petrol it would be carnage. You can charge a mobile phone anywhere, but a car is different
Electric cars on 23:24 - Jul 26 with 1577 viewsjacktar

I think the point in all this is that things will have to change. Once the car industry realise this, then much more will go into developing electric cars that will meet the needs of the consumer. Of that I have no doubt.

We shouldn't all be tarred with the same brush you know!

Electric cars on 00:42 - Jul 27 with 1517 viewsCooperman

This gives me the urge to go and watch Total Recall.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024