Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Electric cars 21:54 - Jul 26 with 4252 viewscontroversial_jack

Everyone driving electric cars by 2040, what a load of crap, it can never happen.
Electric cars on 01:33 - Jul 27 with 1370 viewsbluenile

Electric cars on 22:59 - Jul 26 by Swanjaxs

How far would you get on a fully charged up battery? If for instance you would have to recharge a battery 8 times to get from Swansea to Glasgow then in my opinion that would be a no goer
[Post edited 26 Jul 2017 23:01]

Fecking hell! Which cave have you recently emerged from?

Open the ipod bay doors Hal

Electric cars on 01:40 - Jul 27 with 1367 viewsBrynCartwright

Am seeing more and more EV's banging around the Bont, Nissan Leafs a plenty, Renault Zoe, BMW i3 and i8 and even a Tesla.The vast majority of vehicle journeys are under 40/50 miles a day so current EV batter technology is more than capable for the majority of drivers. The charging infrastructure is flying in; 33 points in the UK last week alone. EV's are going to take over rapidly, especially as the technology improves and gets cheaper. Intelligent charging systems linked to The Grid will dynamically control energy consumption.
Our kids, end especially grandkids are going to look at vehicles that emit gases as museum pieces.

I really recommend the Fully Charged channel on You Tube with Johnny Smith and Robert Llewelyn ( him off Red Dwarf) that concentrates on hybrid EVs , EV's and Green energy technologies if you are interested.

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

Electric cars on 04:30 - Jul 27 with 1349 viewsWhiterockin

A week after we are told there will be no electric trains from Cardiff to Swansea and that diesel will be fine. We are told that petrol and diesel cars are going to be banned and we must use electric.
Electric cars on 08:25 - Jul 27 with 1303 viewsNogginthenog

I love the thought of electric vehicles but they are not as clean as one would think. They require the excavation of millions of tons of rare earth elements to make the batteries.

We will continue the march to deplete the planet to an extent that we won't survive as a species.

The madness continues.
Electric cars on 09:03 - Jul 27 with 1296 viewsMagic_Michu

Electric cars on 22:49 - Jul 26 by raynor94

What's the range, in between top up?

So mine only has a 120 mile range but can be fully charged at services in 30 mins... 4 hours to recharge at home... I recharge it overnight every 2 or 3 days.

The new model of the Nissan Leaf, which I have, will do 340 miles.

It's the future.

Twitter: @swanseadan
Poll: Will the Woods deal happen?

Electric cars on 09:08 - Jul 27 with 1294 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Electric cars on 22:39 - Jul 26 by controversial_jack

How will they be recharged? It won't be practical to do it at home and there will be horrendous queues and delays at service stations

Home charging unit in your Garage how is that impractical.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Electric cars on 09:11 - Jul 27 with 1291 viewsMagic_Michu

I've just got a podpoint charging unit, installed for free by the government, on the side of the house.

Twitter: @swanseadan
Poll: Will the Woods deal happen?

Electric cars on 09:27 - Jul 27 with 1281 viewsSTID2017

Electric cars on 22:35 - Jul 26 by longlostjack

You're absolutely right. Raises some interesting questions. Will the German car industry go the way of Nokia ? How will the Govt make up for the loss of fuel duties? Will the National Grid cope? The Government's headline policy of 2040 is a complete joke. It's going to happen much sooner than that. Tesla and Volvo leading the way with the others playing catchup.

Why would German manufacturers suffer, any more than any other ?
They will still build their cars, specially high end luxury spec, just with electric or hybrid (electric / lpg) .

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Login to get fewer ads

Electric cars on 09:32 - Jul 27 with 1273 viewsraynor94

Electric cars on 09:03 - Jul 27 by Magic_Michu

So mine only has a 120 mile range but can be fully charged at services in 30 mins... 4 hours to recharge at home... I recharge it overnight every 2 or 3 days.

It's the future.

How much would a full recharge roughly cost?

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Electric cars on 09:40 - Jul 27 with 1270 viewsploppy

Electric cars on 09:03 - Jul 27 by Magic_Michu

It's the future.

I suppose you have to be disciplined about it. Let's say you wanted to go somewhere on the spur of the moment, or had to go somewhere in an emergency. If you're low on fuel, a trip to the petrol station and you're on your way in 5mins. Even 30mins at a service station seems like an awfully long time.

BTW, do you know how much it costs to fully charge your car from empty? (Sorry: Raynor already asked)
[Post edited 27 Jul 2017 9:41]
Electric cars on 10:00 - Jul 27 with 1262 viewsAnotherJohn

If UK population growth continues at the present rate then I'd be surprised if ordinary working people own cars by 2050. The pressure on infrastructure and housing is going to be considerable: only a minority will have garages in which they could install charging points.
Electric cars on 10:13 - Jul 27 with 1255 viewsJackFish

Electric cars on 10:00 - Jul 27 by AnotherJohn

If UK population growth continues at the present rate then I'd be surprised if ordinary working people own cars by 2050. The pressure on infrastructure and housing is going to be considerable: only a minority will have garages in which they could install charging points.

I'm sure we'll have driverless cars by then, with the posibility of not having to own them but just calling them up like an Uber when required.
Electric cars on 10:37 - Jul 27 with 1244 viewsmonmouth

Electric cars on 10:13 - Jul 27 by JackFish

I'm sure we'll have driverless cars by then, with the posibility of not having to own them but just calling them up like an Uber when required.

Aye that seems the sensible option to me. No ownership just driverless electric taxis, with all charging etc done using economies of scale. Essentially, bespoke personal public transport.

The current nonsense is unsustainable anyway, aren't the number of cars projected to increase by half again by 2025? Impossible to accommodate that. Most houses around here have at least four cars now, one each for the parents and one each for the kids when they hit 17/18.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Electric cars on 10:49 - Jul 27 with 1237 viewsAnotherJohn

We could delay that unappealing scenario by taking population control seriously. I don't fancy a Singapore-style lifestyle on our own crowded island. I won't be around by 2050, but I'd rather like my young son to have the kind of experiences I had with my first sports car as a 19 year old.
Electric cars on 10:51 - Jul 27 with 1234 viewsfelixstowe_jack

About 2p per mile so £3 for 150 miles. Could be cheaper if you can use economy 7 or have solar panels on your roof.

Electric cars on 10:55 - Jul 27 with 1234 viewsMrSwerve

So how will people living in a block of flats be able to charge overnight? There'll be a shortage on extension cables.

Seriously though they'll have to start installing charging points within the next 5-10 years to be ready by the ban. What if people are queuing to charge? 30 mins to 'refuel' isn't acceptable in this day and age.

I'm sure it'll improve but to make it moderately viable a charge would have to take 10 mins maximum.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Electric cars on 11:21 - Jul 27 with 1221 viewsfelixstowe_jack

I guess all new blocks of flats with parking will have to provide charging points.

Electric cars on 11:46 - Jul 27 with 1211 viewscontroversial_jack

Electric cars on 09:08 - Jul 27 by felixstowe_jack

You have a garage, lucky you.The vast majority of motorists can't even park outside their own homes.
Electric cars on 11:58 - Jul 27 with 1205 viewslondonlisa2001

Electric cars on 10:55 - Jul 27 by MrSwerve

So how will people living in a block of flats be able to charge overnight? There'll be a shortage on extension cables.

Seriously though they'll have to start installing charging points within the next 5-10 years to be ready by the ban. What if people are queuing to charge? 30 mins to 'refuel' isn't acceptable in this day and age.

I'm sure it'll improve but to make it moderately viable a charge would have to take 10 mins maximum.

Hammersmith & Fulham has charging units going in all over the place at the moment. A year or so ago there were none, now there are at least a dozen within 5 minutes of my house.

So within another year, they'll be everywhere here. We have a scheme being launched as well next month, to effectively 'rent' electric cars that will be parked all over the borough whenever they are needed.
Electric cars on 12:14 - Jul 27 with 1193 viewsploppy

I don't know about anyone else but that seems like a dreadful prospect to me.
Electric cars on 12:24 - Jul 27 with 1185 viewsDarran

My sons been out on the roads in a driverless car through his job.

He reckoned it was weird as fuçk.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Electric cars on 12:32 - Jul 27 with 1174 viewsDarran

Electric cars on 12:24 - Jul 27 by Darran

My sons been out on the roads in a driverless car through his job.

He reckoned it was weird as fuçk.

And if any of you bell whiffs are interested it was this.

https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/models

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Electric cars on 12:45 - Jul 27 with 1160 viewsMrSwerve

Electric cars on 11:58 - Jul 27 by londonlisa2001

Hammersmith & Fulham has charging units going in all over the place at the moment. A year or so ago there were none, now there are at least a dozen within 5 minutes of my house.

So within another year, they'll be everywhere here. We have a scheme being launched as well next month, to effectively 'rent' electric cars that will be parked all over the borough whenever they are needed.

Great for London, but I can't see it being like that in more deprived areas of the U.K. within the next ten years or so...

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Electric cars on 14:58 - Jul 27 with 1116 viewsJohnw102

How will the taxman get back the £ billions he will loose in fuel duty?

Never knew getting old would happen so quick!

Electric cars on 15:55 - Jul 27 with 1101 viewsgrabsplatter

Electric cars on 09:08 - Jul 27 by felixstowe_jack

It is if you live in a terraced house in Manselton & half the time can't park in front of your own home
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024