Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The beginning of this 2017 season is the scariest for supporters since...? 07:17 - Aug 11 with 1051 viewsTummer_from_Texas

The "oh ****" factor off the charts in my limited sample size, so I'm curious what my perspective would be if I had been supporting this club all my life?

Obviously 2002 was the granddaddy of them all, very soon into it at least, and I guess there'd be some nightmares from the mid/late 80's; but for those of you with that priveleged perspective, have their been many other Augusts that have had you this nervous? Worried about WTF the guys in charge are doing, whether you trust their intentions or not?

Question is directed pretty much to everyone who has opened their eyes by now to the realization that the Sigurdsson deal is at this point a cluster****. I've supported the hard stance, which the new owners kinda HAD to do, but this is quickly threatening to turn into a hand grenade that might be getting ready to blow up as we bobble it in our hands. Maybe. I can argue that the majority are idiots for tapping us for relegation, but sometimes the majority have their reasons, besides bias.

Hope Im just paranoid, and it all works out that we close this **** with Everton soon and find ways to spend about £30M or so on good, productive cover that suits the direction Clement is taking this club. I actually have a lot of positivity still about 15 of the guys who looked alright against Sampdoria. That was just a friendly, and they need a lot of help. But these guys actually have potential IMO, if a couple things fall right. Especially fitness for the first few weeks.

But positivity aside, I'll be crapping a brick every time we take the pitch for awhile. I hope for you long-timers this hasn't been a frequent occurrence if your lives.

Love you guys and girls, and hoping all our hearts survive the next 9 months. Thanks for reading my babbling rant.

Uppa Jacks

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

The beginning of this 2017 season is the scariest for supporters since...? on 07:31 - Aug 11 with 1022 viewsAngelRangelQS

We are a few players short but we've been in far worse positions.
The beginning of this 2017 season is the scariest for supporters since...? on 07:32 - Aug 11 with 1021 viewsLeonWasGod

Nah, just last year was worse. Losing our top scorer and defensive rock/leader. And failing to follow up on the Joey interest. And off the back of backing out of re-appointing Brendan at the last minute.

I think we're in a much better place now despite the Siggy saga.
The beginning of this 2017 season is the scariest for supporters since...? on 07:55 - Aug 11 with 982 viewsjack247

The beginning of this 2017 season is the scariest for supporters since...? on 07:32 - Aug 11 by LeonWasGod

Nah, just last year was worse. Losing our top scorer and defensive rock/leader. And failing to follow up on the Joey interest. And off the back of backing out of re-appointing Brendan at the last minute.

This time last year, we weakened an already weak starting eleven that had almost got relegated. This year, we have weakened an already weak squad that almost got relegated. I'm not sure which is worse to be honest.

I didn't think we'd go down last year and I don't now. I'm more apprehensive than I was expecting to be though. This Siggy thing has thrown a huge spanner in the works.
The beginning of this 2017 season is the scariest for supporters since...? on 08:03 - Aug 11 with 975 viewsSwans777

The beginning of this 2017 season is the scariest for supporters since...? on 07:55 - Aug 11 by jack247

This time last year, we weakened an already weak starting eleven that had almost got relegated. This year, we have weakened an already weak squad that almost got relegated. I'm not sure which is worse to be honest.

I didn't think we'd go down last year and I don't now. I'm more apprehensive than I was expecting to be though. This Siggy thing has thrown a huge spanner in the works.

How are we weakened this year?
The beginning of this 2017 season is the scariest for supporters since...? on 08:05 - Aug 11 with 970 viewsjack247

The beginning of this 2017 season is the scariest for supporters since...? on 08:03 - Aug 11 by Swans777

How are we weakened this year?

Squad, not starting eleven
The beginning of this 2017 season is the scariest for supporters since...? on 08:11 - Aug 11 with 960 viewsDr_Winston

The squad that ended last season was stronger than the one which started it, and has not been demonstrably weakened thus far. With Clement in charge I am confident of a better season than the last regardless of the Siggy situation.

Make the right moves replacing Siggy and there's no reason why we can't push for upper mid table.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The beginning of this 2017 season is the scariest for supporters since...? on 08:12 - Aug 11 with 954 viewsEasternJack

The beginning of this 2017 season is the scariest for supporters since...? on 07:32 - Aug 11 by LeonWasGod

This - 100%

Poll: Hull vs Middlesborough - What do we want?

The beginning of this 2017 season is the scariest for supporters since...? on 08:22 - Aug 11 with 931 viewsjack247

The beginning of this 2017 season is the scariest for supporters since...? on 08:11 - Aug 11 by Dr_Winston

The squad that ended last season was stronger than the one which started it, and has not been demonstrably weakened thus far. With Clement in charge I am confident of a better season than the last regardless of the Siggy situation.

Make the right moves replacing Siggy and there's no reason why we can't push for upper mid table.

Agree with the second part completely, though we don't seem to be making the right moves at the moment.

Re. the squad, did you see the bench on Saturday?
Login to get fewer ads

The beginning of this 2017 season is the scariest for supporters since...? on 08:22 - Aug 11 with 931 viewsSwans777

The beginning of this 2017 season is the scariest for supporters since...? on 08:05 - Aug 11 by jack247

Squad, not starting eleven

Ok so how is the squad weaker
The beginning of this 2017 season is the scariest for supporters since...? on 08:23 - Aug 11 with 928 viewsMeraki

The beginning of this 2017 season is the scariest for supporters since...? on 08:12 - Aug 11 by EasternJack

This - 100%

The beginning of seasons are never scary, its the endings.
The beginning of this 2017 season is the scariest for supporters since...? on 08:31 - Aug 11 with 908 viewsmonmouth

I love the start of every season me. What's there to be scared about? Just excited. Footballs back, my team have another season amongst the elite. Hope is mixed in there too. Looking forward to it 100%

The only season I had real nerves mixed in with excitement was 2011, because along with the unbelievable excitement of being in the PL (something I thought was as likely as flying to Mars) was the nagging if irrational fear that we would be totally humiliated, mangled week on week, and get less points than Derby. After 1981, where we worried much less but thought along similar lines, I should have known better.

So scared? Worried? You must be joking. Not on your life. Bring it on.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

The beginning of this 2017 season is the scariest for supporters since...? on 08:34 - Aug 11 with 900 viewsjack247

The beginning of this 2017 season is the scariest for supporters since...? on 08:22 - Aug 11 by Swans777

Who do you think could challenge for a place in last Saturdays starting eleven?

Llorente and Mesa definitely, Ki and Dyer at a push. I'm struggling after that.
The beginning of this 2017 season is the scariest for supporters since...? on 08:36 - Aug 11 with 891 viewsEasternJack

The beginning of this 2017 season is the scariest for supporters since...? on 08:22 - Aug 11 by Swans777

It' Not. We're stronger from the Jan signings plus Mesa/Abraham.

An argument can be made about Leon and Rangel's ages, however that's marginal stuff.

The squad depth was a problem then and is a problem now. THe difference now is we seem to have a competent coach in charge

The Siggy situation has the potential change the above equation

The beginning of this 2017 season is the scariest for supporters since...? on 08:37 - Aug 11 with 886 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Most people weren't tabbing us for relegation last year. Some were, but a lot more are now.

I know to take outsiders' opinions for what they are, but we've got a huge question mark looming over this season even worse than last. In some ways (PC) we are better off though, agreed.

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

The beginning of this 2017 season is the scariest for supporters since...? on 08:42 - Aug 11 with 861 viewsjack247

The beginning of this 2017 season is the scariest for supporters since...? on 08:37 - Aug 11 by Tummer_from_Texas

Most people weren't tabbing us for relegation last year. Some were, but a lot more are now.

I know to take outsiders' opinions for what they are, but we've got a huge question mark looming over this season even worse than last. In some ways (PC) we are better off though, agreed.

We've certainly got a better manager and I say that as one of the few who rated Guidolin.

If Llorente stays, it will be a big boost as far as I'm concerned, going into the season with only Tammy as a realistic option would have been a huge gamble.
The beginning of this 2017 season is the scariest for supporters since...? on 08:42 - Aug 11 with 861 viewsawayjack

Siggy departure would naturally make our squad weaker than last year. Squad will look thin tomorrow without Siggy, Llorente but some very promising players like Carrol, Olsson, Mawson and loanee Tammy may well step up. We've shifted 15 or so players from squad, which was necessary to cut costs / deadwood. Key now is to sign a couple of quality players to give our squad some depth Quite happy with PC in charge and yanks seem to be taking control of costs control and commercial income from our old shambolic Board. Profit should be good thing, but noises are its so yanks can edit next season should we stay up.
The beginning of this 2017 season is the scariest for supporters since...? on 08:46 - Aug 11 with 846 viewsEasternJack

The beginning of this 2017 season is the scariest for supporters since...? on 08:37 - Aug 11 by Tummer_from_Texas

I disagree. I had us nailed on for relegation last year before he season started.

This year - we have 5 new first team starters compared to the start of last season and our form under PC is top 1/2

Add to that there are at least 2 teams who I expect to do a Derby this season.

Comfortable mid table unless we totally mess up the asiggy situation

The beginning of this 2017 season is the scariest for supporters since...? on 08:54 - Aug 11 with 818 viewsBrynmill_Jack

The beginning of this 2017 season is the scariest for supporters since...? on 08:42 - Aug 11 by awayjack

Siggy departure would naturally make our squad weaker than last year. Squad will look thin tomorrow without Siggy, Llorente but some very promising players like Carrol, Olsson, Mawson and loanee Tammy may well step up. We've shifted 15 or so players from squad, which was necessary to cut costs / deadwood. Key now is to sign a couple of quality players to give our squad some depth Quite happy with PC in charge and yanks seem to be taking control of costs control and commercial income from our old shambolic Board. Profit should be good thing, but noises are its so yanks can edit next season should we stay up.

We will probably lose tomorrow due to not having GS in the squad but that's down to a bad strategy by the club. He should be on the bench just to show how displeased we are with Everton's reneging on the verbally agreed fee. It might get their arses in gear.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

The beginning of this 2017 season is the scariest for supporters since...? on 08:58 - Aug 11 with 812 viewsEasternJack

2016/17 starting squad

Fab
Nordfelt
Tremmel
Birighitti

Naughton
Taylor
Rangel
Kingsley

Mawson
VdH
Fede
Amat

Ki
Leon
Leroy
Cork
Siggy
Fulton

Routledge
Montero
Dyer
Barrow

Llorente
Baston
McBurnie

This Season starting squad (window still open)

Fab
Nordfelt
Mulder
Birighitti

Naughton
Olsen
Rangel
Kingsley

Mawson
VdH
Fede
Bartley

Ki
Leon
Leroy
Carroll
Mesa
Siggy
Fulton

Routledge
Montero
Dyer
Narsingh

Llorente
Ayew
Abraham
McBurnie
[Post edited 11 Aug 2017 8:59]

The beginning of this 2017 season is the scariest for supporters since...? on 09:07 - Aug 11 with 783 viewsjack247

The beginning of this 2017 season is the scariest for supporters since...? on 08:58 - Aug 11 by EasternJack

2016/17 starting squad

Fab
Nordfelt
Tremmel
Birighitti

Naughton
Taylor
Rangel
Kingsley

Mawson
VdH
Fede
Amat

Ki
Leon
Leroy
Cork
Siggy
Fulton

Routledge
Montero
Dyer
Barrow

Llorente
Baston
McBurnie

This Season starting squad (window still open)

Fab
Nordfelt
Mulder
Birighitti

Naughton
Olsen
Rangel
Kingsley

Mawson
VdH
Fede
Bartley

Ki
Leon
Leroy
Carroll
Mesa
Siggy
Fulton

Routledge
Montero
Dyer
Narsingh

Llorente
Ayew
Abraham
McBurnie
[Post edited 11 Aug 2017 8:59]

We have weakened the squad that finished last season, not the one that started it.
The beginning of this 2017 season is the scariest for supporters since...? on 10:46 - Aug 11 with 675 viewsEasternJack

The beginning of this 2017 season is the scariest for supporters since...? on 09:07 - Aug 11 by jack247

We have weakened the squad that finished last season, not the one that started it.

That wasn't the OP question though

The beginning of this 2017 season is the scariest for supporters since...? on 11:03 - Aug 11 with 654 viewsjack247

The beginning of this 2017 season is the scariest for supporters since...? on 10:46 - Aug 11 by EasternJack

That wasn't the OP question though

No, but it's pretty relevant don't you think?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024