Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Southampton Match Analysis 17:02 - Aug 12 with 4669 viewsNirvana

Overall, very poor performance but good result. I think the stats speak for themselves:

Southampton - 28 shots/2 on target/60% possession

Swans - 4 shots/0 on target/40% possession

We clearly missed the quality of Siggy/Llorente in our overall play, and especially in terms of end product. Clement went with his now-trusted diamond with Routledge behind Abraham/Ayew up top, for roughly the opening half-hour.

Southampton attacked relentlessly down the left wing to great success, and then PC switched to his formerly-trusted 451 with Ayew/Routledge out wide. It stopped some of the onslaught, but Southampton missed so many clear chances I can't even remember them all.

(EDIT: PC brought on Bartley, went three at the back to shut up shop, and that was that.)

Overall, though, we got a draw away at Southampton, a good team. Success. That is how PC viewed it, obviously. Maybe we'll have Siggy/Llorente next weekend, and we'll get the win against Man U. Here's hoping. To the players...
[Post edited 12 Aug 2017 17:49]
Southampton Match Analysis on 18:09 - Aug 12 with 1237 viewsNirvana

Southampton Match Analysis on 17:52 - Aug 12 by tomdickharry

An inept performance in front of goal by the home team saved us from a hammering,if we play like we did today next week Utd will reach double figures.

Excellent point, TomDickHarry.

Man U will not be so wasteful, even though that's been an issue of theirs, as well.

I hope we'll have some end product next week, at least.

If The Americans needed any reason to place a "DO NOT SALE" sign on Siggy, this performance was it.

Hopefully, they'll agree.
[Post edited 12 Aug 2017 18:25]
Southampton Match Analysis on 18:10 - Aug 12 with 1232 viewsTheResurrection

Southampton Match Analysis on 18:06 - Aug 12 by E20Jack

Don't be silly, stating the formations followed by posting the match stats is a wonderfully in depth insightful analysis... even if the stats were wrong... twice.

He'll be telling us next Clement quoted us all he was Viera's biggest fan and he was his number 1 target.

Who the fack is this clown??????

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like
Poll: Is it time for the Trust to make change happen?

Southampton Match Analysis on 18:12 - Aug 12 with 1215 viewsE20Jack

Southampton Match Analysis on 18:10 - Aug 12 by TheResurrection

He'll be telling us next Clement quoted us all he was Viera's biggest fan and he was his number 1 target.

Who the fack is this clown??????

Clement was ''looking forward to him'' apparently, remember. I notice that comment was quickly edited after you picked up on it. Embarrassing.

Poll: 6 point deduction and sellouts lose all their cash?

Southampton Match Analysis on 18:12 - Aug 12 with 1230 viewsraynor94

We were Shit full stop!

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Southampton Match Analysis on 18:14 - Aug 12 with 1219 viewsawayjack

Southampton Match Analysis on 17:11 - Aug 12 by Oldjack

i felt had we shown a more attacking intent instead of inviting trouble nearly all game ,we might have got a goal or two

Yup it was odd to see the number of times we broke away, then just stopped and turned back to defence. Not sure if was tactics but Routs was more of Wingback. No AM therfore no outlet or creative and clear from KO we're playing for a draw. Oh for Siggy as there defence knew Routs, Fer, Ayew and Carrol can't shoot from range, so piss easy to close our few attacks down.
Southampton Match Analysis on 18:17 - Aug 12 with 1215 viewsNirvana

And the "troll" is who again?

You can have the last word, Dimi and res, everything's always about you too anyway.

I see your jealousy and obsession has combined with rage tonight, and made for quite the trolling behavior.

I'll be the bigger man, as always.

Have at it, you miserable 'facks'.
Southampton Match Analysis on 18:19 - Aug 12 with 1211 viewsTheResurrection

Southampton Match Analysis on 18:09 - Aug 12 by Nirvana

Excellent point, TomDickHarry.

Man U will not be so wasteful, even though that's been an issue of theirs, as well.

I hope we'll have some end product next week, at least.

If The Americans needed any reason to place a "DO NOT SALE" sign on Siggy, this performance was it.

Hopefully, they'll agree.
[Post edited 12 Aug 2017 18:25]

""Man U wi not be so wasteful, even though that's been an issue of theirs, as well. ""

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like

Southampton Match Analysis on 18:30 - Aug 12 with 1186 viewsNirvana

Southampton Match Analysis on 18:19 - Aug 12 by TheResurrection

""Man U wi not be so wasteful, even though that's been an issue of theirs, as well. ""

Correct, res.

Man U have problems finishing, but Lukaku/Mkhitaryan/Martial/Rashford are miles better than Gabbiadini/Redmond/Tadic.

I see you struggle to grasp even the most basic of ideas.

That's okay.

Your thread not going so well, huh?

Talk football, 'mun'.

You know you can't keep up. Nice smileys, by the way.
Login to get fewer ads

Southampton Match Analysis on 18:34 - Aug 12 with 1173 viewsNirvana

Southampton Match Analysis on 18:14 - Aug 12 by awayjack

Yup it was odd to see the number of times we broke away, then just stopped and turned back to defence. Not sure if was tactics but Routs was more of Wingback. No AM therfore no outlet or creative and clear from KO we're playing for a draw. Oh for Siggy as there defence knew Routs, Fer, Ayew and Carrol can't shoot from range, so piss easy to close our few attacks down.

Great post, Away.

I would say that if we had Siggy/Llorente on the pitch, and Southampton played that poorly, that we would've gotten the win.

Set-piece, maybe. The football on offer was far from "free-flowing" as it was.

But win regardless.

Either way, we got a point unexpectedly and we move on.
Southampton Match Analysis on 18:44 - Aug 12 with 1141 viewsscruffyjack

Dear me, if anybody can glean any optimism from that performance it will beggar belief, that was pitiful. And some clowns on here think that Siggy leaving will make us a better team, you couldn't make it up!
Southampton Match Analysis on 18:45 - Aug 12 with 1137 viewsTheResurrection

Southampton Match Analysis on 18:44 - Aug 12 by scruffyjack

Dear me, if anybody can glean any optimism from that performance it will beggar belief, that was pitiful. And some clowns on here think that Siggy leaving will make us a better team, you couldn't make it up!

Great post Scruff

Southampton Match Analysis on 18:45 - Aug 12 with 1138 viewsEasternJack

Good result

Poor performance

A lot of work to be done.

Starting the understand the renewed interest in Joey and Bony.
[Post edited 12 Aug 2017 18:47]

Poll: Hull vs Middlesborough - What do we want?

Southampton Match Analysis on 18:47 - Aug 12 with 1129 viewslondonlisa2001

Southampton Match Analysis on 18:04 - Aug 12 by Nirvana

Thanks for the response, Lisa. Much more my style.

Fernández may have been stretched a bit due to other, inferior players in front of him, but he was poor regardless. I still think he's miles above Bartley, and certainly VDH, so I don't hate the guy. We'll just have to agree to disagree on that one.

Routledge did a great job covering the right flank, but Naughton is not a starter in the PL. I've been saying it for a long time. There are quality options out there, some on the cheap like Roberto Rosales from Malaga, that would turn that glaring weakness into a strength.

It wouldn't take us selling Siggy to improve the squad, we could move Montero and Bartley, and afford to pay for a few quality options to come in. And if Jenkins was actually good at his job, we'd already have Roberts here on loan with an affordable purchase option if we so desired.

But, back to the game. Llorente would've, at minimum, buried one of the two wonderful headers Abraham missed in this match. Not his fault, he's young, and was outmuscled all match, but it's true either way. That might have been the real difference in the game, when you think about it.

Put Siggy in Routledge's spot, and we'd have seen a lot of his vision on display, thanks to Abraham's movement and pace. He can get in behind the defence, and for all of Llorente's class he cannot. Routledge nor Fer have the ability to play balls in behind like Siggy, and we would've seen that here. As for Carroll's free kicks, they were very poor. Enough said.

I hope we'll be much better next weekend, and I think you'd agree with that.

Routledge wasn't supposed to be covering the right flank though, until we switched from a diamond to a 451. That left us with no central point to the diamond. Which is why everything broke down.

If we move Bartley on we will have to invest in another centre back, so we don't benefit the rest of the team. And Montero we are talking c. £4m (and even then teams are balking at it due to him being almost permanently injured). How are we going to improve the team with that?

Abraham didn't get behind their defence in order to be found. Largely because their midfield was so dominant we were 15 yards further back and their defence could sit quite comfortably rather than step forward to take us on. The space between our midfield and Tammy was gaping, and that's not the set up that leads to clever through balls.

Fer is a problem in the right side of the diamond as he isn't disciplined and doesn't cover the full back. Carroll is much better at it, which is why Olsson can play with more freedom.

I think Fer has to be point in a diamond in order to work. We could try Mesa on the right, but we are always using a sub for Leon as he can't last a game.

Ideally we have Mesa at the base, Carroll on the left, AN Other on the right (possibly Ki) and AN Other on the tip. We then have Fer, Britton, Fulton as back up. If we are going to play with wide players instead, Ayew can take up one position, we have no one for the other unless Narsingh has improved.

Get shot of Montero and Dyer. keep Routs.
Southampton Match Analysis on 18:48 - Aug 12 with 1128 viewsscruffyjack

Southampton Match Analysis on 18:45 - Aug 12 by TheResurrection

Great post Scruff

Thanks
Southampton Match Analysis on 19:07 - Aug 12 with 1102 viewsNirvana

Southampton Match Analysis on 18:47 - Aug 12 by londonlisa2001

Routledge wasn't supposed to be covering the right flank though, until we switched from a diamond to a 451. That left us with no central point to the diamond. Which is why everything broke down.

If we move Bartley on we will have to invest in another centre back, so we don't benefit the rest of the team. And Montero we are talking c. £4m (and even then teams are balking at it due to him being almost permanently injured). How are we going to improve the team with that?

Abraham didn't get behind their defence in order to be found. Largely because their midfield was so dominant we were 15 yards further back and their defence could sit quite comfortably rather than step forward to take us on. The space between our midfield and Tammy was gaping, and that's not the set up that leads to clever through balls.

Fer is a problem in the right side of the diamond as he isn't disciplined and doesn't cover the full back. Carroll is much better at it, which is why Olsson can play with more freedom.

I think Fer has to be point in a diamond in order to work. We could try Mesa on the right, but we are always using a sub for Leon as he can't last a game.

Ideally we have Mesa at the base, Carroll on the left, AN Other on the right (possibly Ki) and AN Other on the tip. We then have Fer, Britton, Fulton as back up. If we are going to play with wide players instead, Ayew can take up one position, we have no one for the other unless Narsingh has improved.

Get shot of Montero and Dyer. keep Routs.

Thanks for the civil response, Lisa.

To the money situation:

- sell Bartley/Montero for at least £10m
- bring in RB (Rosales) at £5m or less
- bring in CB (Florentin Pogba/Neven Subotic) at £5m or less
- bring in a young winger on loan (Roberts/Munir) with option to buy

That's obviously a bit simplistic, but that's how it works. It doesn't seem like we've done the work behind the scenes talking to a lot of these guys, and that falls on Jenkins. I'm sure if Altman gets his job we'll see a change in recruitment, though.

Anyway, you are correct on Routledge leaving a hole, because it exposed Abraham's poor (i.e. still developing) hold-up play. He's pretty confident once he turns and faces the opposing goal, but looks uncomfortable with his back to it. He's also very skinny, and PL defenders are not. He'll get better, but Llorente is proven quality. It's an easy choice for me, unless Llorente struggles.

In terms of the clever through balls, what was missing was quality like Siggy's. He's proven time and time again that with a mobile striker and/or intelligent wingers, he can play a killer ball. Routledge is smart enough, but his pace has left him and he can't get in behind nor play a through ball.

Swap him for Siggy in this game, and Tammy would've had far more chances. But again, that's my opinion. You have yours. Thank you for the content, and I agree with everything in your last four paragraphs.

Cheers, Lisa. Hope it's nice in London for you.
Southampton Match Analysis on 19:11 - Aug 12 with 1093 viewsNirvana

Southampton Match Analysis on 18:44 - Aug 12 by scruffyjack

Great post, Scruffy.

It's clear how much Siggy/Llorente mean to us.

We need to keep them at all costs.

I understand that's not likely, but it's true regardless.

The only optimism is that we got a point, and for that I am happy.
Southampton Match Analysis on 19:14 - Aug 12 with 1083 viewsTheResurrection

Southampton Match Analysis on 19:07 - Aug 12 by Nirvana

Thanks for the civil response, Lisa.

To the money situation:

That's obviously a bit simplistic, but that's how it works. It doesn't seem like we've done the work behind the scenes talking to a lot of these guys, and that falls on Jenkins. I'm sure if Altman gets his job we'll see a change in recruitment, though.

Anyway, you are correct on Routledge leaving a hole, because it exposed Abraham's poor (i.e. still developing) hold-up play. He's pretty confident once he turns and faces the opposing goal, but looks uncomfortable with his back to it. He's also very skinny, and PL defenders are not. He'll get better, but Llorente is proven quality. It's an easy choice for me, unless Llorente struggles.

In terms of the clever through balls, what was missing was quality like Siggy's. He's proven time and time again that with a mobile striker and/or intelligent wingers, he can play a killer ball. Routledge is smart enough, but his pace has left him and he can't get in behind nor play a through ball.

Swap him for Siggy in this game, and Tammy would've had far more chances. But again, that's my opinion. You have yours. Thank you for the content, and I agree with everything in your last four paragraphs.

Cheers, Lisa. Hope it's nice in London for you.

That's obviously a bit simplistic

Southampton Match Analysis on 19:16 - Aug 12 with 1078 viewsNirvana

Southampton Match Analysis on 18:45 - Aug 12 by EasternJack

Good result

Poor performance

A lot of work to be done.

Starting the understand the renewed interest in Joey and Bony.
[Post edited 12 Aug 2017 18:47]

Agreed, Eastern.

I love them both and would love to see them back (Joey much more than Wilf, though), but if it's essentially a straight swap for Siggy/Llorente that would be awful.

I can't see how we can afford them otherwise, so I'd prefer it if we kept the quality we already have. And, honestly, I rate Siggy/Llorente much higher than Allen/Bony. No offence meant.

Would love for Allen to come in exchange for Ki, though, like we could've and should've done last summer. Royally ffukkedd that one up Jenkins. Let's try and not do it again.
Southampton Match Analysis on 19:18 - Aug 12 with 1063 viewsE20Jack

Southampton Match Analysis on 19:14 - Aug 12 by TheResurrection

Unbelievable really isn't it.

I hope this isn't going to be inflicted on us after every match this season.

Southampton Match Analysis on 19:21 - Aug 12 with 1060 viewsNirvana

Southampton Match Analysis on 19:14 - Aug 12 by TheResurrection

You can't read, can you?

Makes sense.

But, in case you can, my quote reads:

"That's obviously a bit simplistic, but that's how it works."

Notice the bit after the comma?

Okay then.

I know your steaming that you look a complete and utterly clueless 'fack' right now, but take it somewhere else.
Southampton Match Analysis on 19:38 - Aug 12 with 1025 viewsFireboy2

Southampton Match Analysis on 19:18 - Aug 12 by E20Jack

Unbelievable really isn't it.

I hope this isn't going to be inflicted on us after every match this season.

Well you don't HAVE to reply do you
Southampton Match Analysis on 20:41 - Aug 12 with 967 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Southampton Match Analysis on 18:12 - Aug 12 by raynor94

We were Shit full stop!

Fair enough

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Southampton Match Analysis on 21:50 - Aug 12 with 919 viewsE20Jack

Southampton Match Analysis on 19:38 - Aug 12 by Fireboy2

Well you don't HAVE to reply do you

I didn't reply to it.

I replied to The Res who made a similar observation.

Southampton Match Analysis on 01:24 - Aug 13 with 846 viewsJackSkellington

Anyone else concerned by the fact we got through three - THREE - captains in the course of a single match today? How the fuk is anyone supposed to show leadership and drag us up for the fight if they keep getting subbed, and by the end of the game we're reduced to Fernandez supposedly in that role? I wonder if any of our transfer targets are potential captain material?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024