Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Southampton Match Analysis 17:02 - Aug 12 with 4661 viewsNirvana

Overall, very poor performance but good result. I think the stats speak for themselves:

Southampton - 28 shots/2 on target/60% possession

Swans - 4 shots/0 on target/40% possession

We clearly missed the quality of Siggy/Llorente in our overall play, and especially in terms of end product. Clement went with his now-trusted diamond with Routledge behind Abraham/Ayew up top, for roughly the opening half-hour.

Southampton attacked relentlessly down the left wing to great success, and then PC switched to his formerly-trusted 451 with Ayew/Routledge out wide. It stopped some of the onslaught, but Southampton missed so many clear chances I can't even remember them all.

(EDIT: PC brought on Bartley, went three at the back to shut up shop, and that was that.)

Overall, though, we got a draw away at Southampton, a good team. Success. That is how PC viewed it, obviously. Maybe we'll have Siggy/Llorente next weekend, and we'll get the win against Man U. Here's hoping. To the players...
[Post edited 12 Aug 2017 17:49]
Southampton Match Analysis on 17:06 - Aug 12 with 3387 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

We were Facking dreadful

Great bench

Points a point though
[Post edited 12 Aug 2017 17:07]

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Southampton Match Analysis on 17:07 - Aug 12 with 3366 viewsMo_Wives

Southampton Match Analysis on 17:06 - Aug 12 by oh_tommy_tommy

We were Facking dreadful

Great bench

Points a point though
[Post edited 12 Aug 2017 17:07]

This.

Good luck, Mr Cooper

Southampton Match Analysis on 17:08 - Aug 12 with 3351 viewsNirvana

Fabianski - excellent / countless superb saves / good positioning and reactions

Naughton - very poor / beaten many times down the wing, lucky one of those didn't result in a goal

Fernandez - poor / caught out of position several times / clearing headers very poor / gave away possession too many times / got away with several awful fouls

Mawson - immense / MOTM / right position everytime, numerous crucial clearances / headers were excellent / in constant communication with the rest of defence / long passing extremely accurate under pressure

Olsson - very good / not much went down down his side, as his pace and intelligence neutralized the right wing for Southampton / excellent defending in front of goal, particularly on an early Ward-Prowse header

Fer - pedestrian, anonymous / didn't do much / showed okay touch but gave the ball away too much / was better than usual with tracking back

Britton - typical Leon / provided balance in defence and attack, usually in the right position / didn't get much time on the ball

Carroll - see: Fer / Carroll always commits on defence, so that's different / free kicks very disappointing

Routledge - typical Routledge / one good cross for Abraham, pedestrian otherwise / fought tirelessly on defence / gave away a bad foul on the edge of the box as well

Abraham - okay, showed flashes / exactly what you'd expect from his first start in the PL / looked a bit overmatched physically / good movement, but missed a couple of great chances Llorente probably would've tucked away /  great turn in the box, but poor shot after

Ayew - okay, relatively anonymous / good touch and footwork / drew a few fouls in good areas / good workrate

Bench

Fulton - helped close up shop

Baryley - nearly gave up a late penalty for handball

McBurnie - ran around a little
[Post edited 12 Aug 2017 19:41]
Southampton Match Analysis on 17:10 - Aug 12 with 3322 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Southampton Match Analysis on 17:08 - Aug 12 by Nirvana

Fabianski - excellent / countless superb saves / good positioning and reactions

Naughton - very poor / beaten many times down the wing, lucky one of those didn't result in a goal

Fernandez - poor / caught out of position several times / clearing headers very poor / gave away possession too many times / got away with several awful fouls

Mawson - immense / MOTM / right position everytime, numerous crucial clearances / headers were excellent / in constant communication with the rest of defence / long passing extremely accurate under pressure

Olsson - very good / not much went down down his side, as his pace and intelligence neutralized the right wing for Southampton / excellent defending in front of goal, particularly on an early Ward-Prowse header

Fer - pedestrian, anonymous / didn't do much / showed okay touch but gave the ball away too much / was better than usual with tracking back

Britton - typical Leon / provided balance in defence and attack, usually in the right position / didn't get much time on the ball

Carroll - see: Fer / Carroll always commits on defence, so that's different / free kicks very disappointing

Routledge - typical Routledge / one good cross for Abraham, pedestrian otherwise / fought tirelessly on defence / gave away a bad foul on the edge of the box as well

Abraham - okay, showed flashes / exactly what you'd expect from his first start in the PL / looked a bit overmatched physically / good movement, but missed a couple of great chances Llorente probably would've tucked away /  great turn in the box, but poor shot after

Ayew - okay, relatively anonymous / good touch and footwork / drew a few fouls in good areas / good workrate

Bench

Fulton - helped close up shop

Baryley - nearly gave up a late penalty for handball

McBurnie - ran around a little
[Post edited 12 Aug 2017 19:41]

I'd agree with that

But would be much critical for one or two more.

Weak bench

Mesa ?

Southampton Match Analysis on 17:11 - Aug 12 with 3321 viewsOldjack

i felt had we shown a more attacking intent instead of inviting trouble nearly all game ,we might have got a goal or two

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

Southampton Match Analysis on 17:13 - Aug 12 with 3297 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Southampton Match Analysis on 17:11 - Aug 12 by Oldjack

i felt had we shown a more attacking intent instead of inviting trouble nearly all game ,we might have got a goal or two

We had 2 good chances and blew it .

No flair on show today

Saints must be gutted

Southampton Match Analysis on 17:18 - Aug 12 with 3228 viewsNirvana

Southampton Match Analysis on 17:10 - Aug 12 by oh_tommy_tommy

I'd agree with that

But would be much critical for one or two more.

Weak bench

Mesa ?

Keen eye for detail, Tommy.

Just wanted to include the players that played. Left everything else up for discussion, and you've raised a couple very good points.

We clearly were playing for a draw after getting pummeled early, and luckily not giving anything up. I don't agree with it, necessarily, but Clement clearly decided that was that.

Why Mesa wasn't included I have no idea. He has the quality, and it would've been a great game to blood him in. But, as I've been saying all along, he's not a true DM and that's what PC wanted.

I'm guessing we might see the same lineup next week, pending the Siggy/Llorente updates.

Gulp.
Southampton Match Analysis on 17:24 - Aug 12 with 3199 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Southampton Match Analysis on 17:18 - Aug 12 by Nirvana

Keen eye for detail, Tommy.

Just wanted to include the players that played. Left everything else up for discussion, and you've raised a couple very good points.

We clearly were playing for a draw after getting pummeled early, and luckily not giving anything up. I don't agree with it, necessarily, but Clement clearly decided that was that.

Why Mesa wasn't included I have no idea. He has the quality, and it would've been a great game to blood him in. But, as I've been saying all along, he's not a true DM and that's what PC wanted.

I'm guessing we might see the same lineup next week, pending the Siggy/Llorente updates.

Gulp.

Indeed

However we really are a better team at home .

Let's be honest about it today we looked very very poor .

We have a bench of

Mcburnie
Fulton
86 yr old Rangel
Barkley

And a player whose worth more than all of them together.

What's going on there ?
Another Baston ?

Login to get fewer ads

Southampton Match Analysis on 17:24 - Aug 12 with 3199 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Are you sure about those Stats, because the BBC says Soton had 29 shots but only 2 were on target, it looks like their stats have gone haywire.
Southampton Match Analysis on 17:29 - Aug 12 with 3170 viewsNirvana

Southampton Match Analysis on 17:24 - Aug 12 by A_Fans_Dad

Are you sure about those Stats, because the BBC says Soton had 29 shots but only 2 were on target, it looks like their stats have gone haywire.

Thanks for the correction, Fans Dad.

You are correct, I read it wrong.

15 shots OFF target for Southampton, shows how dreadful they were.

Updating now.

Gracias amigo.
[Post edited 12 Aug 2017 17:34]
Southampton Match Analysis on 17:33 - Aug 12 with 3139 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Southampton Match Analysis on 17:29 - Aug 12 by Nirvana

Updating now.

Gracias amigo.

I am still not sure that they only got 2 on target though.
Southampton Match Analysis on 17:33 - Aug 12 with 3137 viewsNirvana

Southampton Match Analysis on 17:24 - Aug 12 by oh_tommy_tommy

Indeed

However we really are a better team at home .

Let's be honest about it today we looked very very poor .

We have a bench of

Mcburnie
Fulton
86 yr old Rangel
Barkley

And a player whose worth more than all of them together.

What's going on there ?
Another Baston ?

Agreed, Tommy.

It was a very, very poor performance.

Good result, though, and that's all that mattered to PC.

But, as for Mesa, the guy is quality. He is a different level of footballer than Borja, so no.

He has the skills and the experience, I take it PC was just going for the draw and didn't want to throw him in that scenario.

We'll see what happens next weekend.
Southampton Match Analysis on 17:36 - Aug 12 with 3120 viewslondonlisa2001

Southampton Match Analysis on 17:29 - Aug 12 by Nirvana

Updating now.

Gracias amigo.

We didn't have two shots on target either.

If Southampton were dreadful I'm not sure what that makes us. They were better than us all over the pitch. Our centre backs played very very well (both of them, by the way), but the rest of the team were lacking poise and creativity.
Southampton Match Analysis on 17:36 - Aug 12 with 3114 viewsNirvana

Southampton Match Analysis on 17:33 - Aug 12 by A_Fans_Dad

I am still not sure that they only got 2 on target though.

It was shocking how poor they were when it came to finishing chances.

So many great ones, too.

We are extremely lucky to have gotten a point today.

Mark this one down, come the end of the season.
Southampton Match Analysis on 17:38 - Aug 12 with 3085 viewsTheResurrection

Southampton Match Analysis on 17:24 - Aug 12 by A_Fans_Dad

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like
Poll: Is it time for the Trust to make change happen?

Southampton Match Analysis on 17:42 - Aug 12 with 3070 viewsNirvana

Southampton Match Analysis on 17:36 - Aug 12 by londonlisa2001

If Southampton were dreadful I'm not sure what that makes us. They were better than us all over the pitch. Our centre backs played very very well (both of them, by the way), but the rest of the team were lacking poise and creativity.

Thanks for the correction as well, Lisa.

Trying to do a few things at once, don't have the focus to get this right.

The app I was looking at is kind of confusing with their format, so mistakes made.

But, either way I watched how dreadful we were for 90 minutes with my own eyes and I take it you did, as well.

I would say that Fernández was better in the second half, but still he was pretty poor. He withstood a lot of pressure, but Alfie really was the rock back there.

Other than that, I think we agree that we clearly missed Siggy/Llorente (creativity/poise). I really hope we keep them both, or this season will be very bad for my health.
Southampton Match Analysis on 17:46 - Aug 12 with 3042 viewsNirvana

Southampton Match Analysis on 17:11 - Aug 12 by Oldjack

I would agree if we had Siggy/Llorente, Oldjack.

But it was clear Clement didn't trust the players he had enough to open anything up whatsoever.

Maybe we'll see something a little different next weekend, but I highly doubt it (unless Siggy/Llorente play).
Southampton Match Analysis on 17:48 - Aug 12 with 3016 viewsTheResurrection

Southampton Match Analysis on 17:36 - Aug 12 by londonlisa2001

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like

Southampton Match Analysis on 17:50 - Aug 12 with 3001 viewslondonlisa2001

Southampton Match Analysis on 17:42 - Aug 12 by Nirvana

Thanks for the correction as well, Lisa.

Trying to do a few things at once, don't have the focus to get this right.

The app I was looking at is kind of confusing with their format, so mistakes made.

But, either way I watched how dreadful we were for 90 minutes with my own eyes and I take it you did, as well.

I would say that Fernández was better in the second half, but still he was pretty poor. He withstood a lot of pressure, but Alfie really was the rock back there.

Other than that, I think we agree that we clearly missed Siggy/Llorente (creativity/poise). I really hope we keep them both, or this season will be very bad for my health.

I thought Fernandez had a good game throughout. The attacks were coming down that side partly because of the lack of protection given to Naughton, in front of him. That means he was getting dragged, and as a result, so was Fernandez.

Llorente may have made a difference, not least he would have scored that header and Tammy's hold up play was weak, and we weren't far enough up the pitch to create the sort of interchanging front three that he will thrive on.

I disagree with Siggy. He may have added some dead ball quality, although Carroll did well as it happens, there was one free kick from the right that he overhit that Siggy would have done better with, but that's about it. From open play, Siggy would today at least, have added little. He suffers with a team sitting back as his ability to hold is not great, he thrives on players rushing past him and creating space to find them as they break through (as for the Olsson goal last season). He's not great with a pressing team against him either, as he needs more time on the ball than Southampton today would have given him.

We are better off getting the money and investing it. On today's showing we need a right back of at least equal standard, and much more creativity and optionality going forward. At least three need to come in.
[Post edited 12 Aug 2017 17:51]
Southampton Match Analysis on 17:52 - Aug 12 with 2983 viewsNirvana

Southampton Match Analysis on 17:38 - Aug 12 by TheResurrection

Care to address any of the content of my posts, there "Free-Flowing Jedi"?

If not, move along.

With your little smileys, like a 3-year old girl playing with her dad's cool, shiny phone.
Southampton Match Analysis on 17:52 - Aug 12 with 2982 viewstomdickharry

An inept performance in front of goal by the home team saved us from a hammering,if we play like we did today next week Utd will reach double figures.
Southampton Match Analysis on 17:53 - Aug 12 with 2963 viewsTheResurrection

Southampton Match Analysis on 17:52 - Aug 12 by Nirvana

Care to address any of the content of my posts, there "Free-Flowing Jedi"?

If not, move along.

With your little smileys, like a 3-year old girl playing with her dad's cool, shiny phone.

Littered with mistakes and clueless analysis.

Leave the forum, you're making an utter fool of yourself

Southampton Match Analysis on 18:04 - Aug 12 with 2893 viewsNirvana

Southampton Match Analysis on 17:50 - Aug 12 by londonlisa2001

I thought Fernandez had a good game throughout. The attacks were coming down that side partly because of the lack of protection given to Naughton, in front of him. That means he was getting dragged, and as a result, so was Fernandez.

Llorente may have made a difference, not least he would have scored that header and Tammy's hold up play was weak, and we weren't far enough up the pitch to create the sort of interchanging front three that he will thrive on.

I disagree with Siggy. He may have added some dead ball quality, although Carroll did well as it happens, there was one free kick from the right that he overhit that Siggy would have done better with, but that's about it. From open play, Siggy would today at least, have added little. He suffers with a team sitting back as his ability to hold is not great, he thrives on players rushing past him and creating space to find them as they break through (as for the Olsson goal last season). He's not great with a pressing team against him either, as he needs more time on the ball than Southampton today would have given him.

We are better off getting the money and investing it. On today's showing we need a right back of at least equal standard, and much more creativity and optionality going forward. At least three need to come in.
[Post edited 12 Aug 2017 17:51]

Thanks for the response, Lisa. Much more my style.

Fernández may have been stretched a bit due to other, inferior players in front of him, but he was poor regardless. I still think he's miles above Bartley, and certainly VDH, so I don't hate the guy. We'll just have to agree to disagree on that one.

Routledge did a great job covering the right flank, but Naughton is not a starter in the PL. I've been saying it for a long time. There are quality options out there, some on the cheap like Roberto Rosales from Malaga, that would turn that glaring weakness into a strength.

It wouldn't take us selling Siggy to improve the squad, we could move Montero and Bartley, and afford to pay for a few quality options to come in. And if Jenkins was actually good at his job, we'd already have Roberts here on loan with an affordable purchase option if we so desired.

But, back to the game. Llorente would've, at minimum, buried one of the two wonderful headers Abraham missed in this match. Not his fault, he's young, and was outmuscled all match, but it's true either way. That might have been the real difference in the game, when you think about it.

Put Siggy in Routledge's spot, and we'd have seen a lot of his vision on display, thanks to Abraham's movement and pace. He can get in behind the defence, and for all of Llorente's class he cannot. Routledge nor Fer have the ability to play balls in behind like Siggy, and we would've seen that here. As for Carroll's free kicks, they were very poor. Enough said.

I hope we'll be much better next weekend, and I think you'd agree with that.
Southampton Match Analysis on 18:06 - Aug 12 with 2874 viewsE20Jack

Southampton Match Analysis on 17:53 - Aug 12 by TheResurrection

Don't be silly, stating the formations followed by posting the match stats is a wonderfully in depth insightful analysis... even if the stats were wrong... twice.

Poll: 6 point deduction and sellouts lose all their cash?

Southampton Match Analysis on 18:07 - Aug 12 with 2882 viewsNirvana

Southampton Match Analysis on 17:53 - Aug 12 by TheResurrection

Someone's getting very hot under the collar.

Jealous, much?

Address the content, or move along.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024