Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
RIP Don Shepherd 16:44 - Aug 19 with 2675 viewssP7qupUf

A great servant to Welsh cricket and a true gentleman. Fantastic record and a victim of "Big Team" decisions without doubt. How many tests would he have played had he been with a fashionable club. Bet we can safely say that he was a Massive Swans Fan!!
RIP Don Shepherd on 16:58 - Aug 19 with 2651 viewsexhmrc1

sad news a great cricketer and a fantastic bloke. Some of his stories about the olden days are superb. Those days travelling by train everywhere before players had cars are so totally different to today. He was 90 last Saturday.
RIP Don Shepherd on 17:19 - Aug 19 with 2612 viewsswanaway

Still have fond memories of rushing home from school in 1969 to catch the end of matches on tv. RIP.
RIP Don Shepherd on 17:41 - Aug 19 with 2574 viewstheloneranger

RIP Don Shepherd on 17:19 - Aug 19 by swanaway

Still have fond memories of rushing home from school in 1969 to catch the end of matches on tv. RIP.

I think he's still the only player to take 2000 first class wickets and not play for his country.

Shocking treatment of a wonderful cricketer and a first class gent.

He never moaned or complained about his omission and always said how proud he was being picked for a MCC tour

RIP Don

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

RIP Don Shepherd on 18:52 - Aug 19 with 2534 viewsNOTRAC

Don Shepherd was a cricketer of quality and a man of quality.

Poll: Has the Europa Cup been worth entering this year?

RIP Don Shepherd on 19:19 - Aug 19 with 2507 viewsSwanjaxs

A light has gone out in the history of Glamorgan County Cricket Club. Donald Shepherd would have played 80 + test for England if he'd have played for the right county..
Nos da DJS (1927-2017)

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

RIP Don Shepherd on 19:31 - Aug 19 with 2482 viewsProfessor

Great player, club servant and great broadcaster on Radio Wales. Should have played test cricket and surely would have at a 'bigger name' county. A great mentor to Crofty who will no doubt Be devastated .

RIP Don. You will be greatly missed
RIP Don Shepherd on 19:54 - Aug 19 with 2445 viewsdickythorpe

A great player and great man. My father and grandpa told me so much about his career.
Loved him and Eddy Bevan on radio wales's "Sunday spin", he always would make it sound that Glamorgan could win.." they need 64 runs off the last over, anything could happen....."

Brilliant to hear so many tributes coming in.
RIP Don Shepherd on 19:56 - Aug 19 with 2439 viewsfishman

Just checked Wales online [Swansea] not a single word about his passing ,our "National" news media ,my arse
Checked BBC Cricket site and a lovely tribute to a true great of Welsh cricket
Login to get fewer ads

RIP Don Shepherd on 20:07 - Aug 19 with 2430 viewsleighton1318

Great man.

They don't make them like that any more.
RIP Don Shepherd on 20:18 - Aug 19 with 2413 viewsWarwickHunt

RIP Don Shepherd on 19:19 - Aug 19 by Swanjaxs

A light has gone out in the history of Glamorgan County Cricket Club. Donald Shepherd would have played 80 + test for England if he'd have played for the right county..
Nos da DJS (1927-2017)

Utter bollox.

A lovely man and a great bowler. Unfortunately, England were blessed with great spinners during Don's peak -
Laker, Gifford, Allen, Titmuss, Underwood, Mortimore and Illingworth to name a few.

Alan Jones suffered a similar fate.

Both of them would walk into the England side now.
RIP Don Shepherd on 20:41 - Aug 19 with 2383 viewstheloneranger

RIP Don Shepherd on 20:18 - Aug 19 by WarwickHunt

Utter bollox.

A lovely man and a great bowler. Unfortunately, England were blessed with great spinners during Don's peak -
Laker, Gifford, Allen, Titmuss, Underwood, Mortimore and Illingworth to name a few.

Alan Jones suffered a similar fate.

Both of them would walk into the England side now.

2,218 wickets at 21.32 each

No player has taken 2000 first class wickets and not played for their country

Take 50 wickets now and play for England.

Alan Jones and Alan Butcher were the best opening pair in the country and should have played together for England

RIP Don Shepherd on 21:25 - Aug 19 with 2344 viewsWarwickHunt

RIP Don Shepherd on 20:41 - Aug 19 by theloneranger

2,218 wickets at 21.32 each

No player has taken 2000 first class wickets and not played for their country

Take 50 wickets now and play for England.

Alan Jones and Alan Butcher were the best opening pair in the country and should have played together for England

I'm not arguing with the fact that he was the best bowler never to play for England. There was just too much competition with other great spinners. I saw Underwood bowl us out before lunch on the first day at St. Helen's - 8 for bugger all.

Alan Jones had more chance of being capped in the 70s (disgraceful that his cap against RoW was taken away). Butcher joined Glamorgan in 1987 - they were still a good county opening partnership but near the end of their careers and miles away from selection.

Incidentally, Chris Broad got three consecutive tons opening the batting for England in tests against Australia in 86/87. In Australia...
RIP Don Shepherd on 21:46 - Aug 19 with 2321 viewssP7qupUf

Hugh Morris and Steve James were treated badly. Both scored over 2000 runs when we won the Championship and managed a handful of tests between them. Similarly, Maynard and Watkin were not given a fair ru. Other players were given many chances before they came good and others e.g. Balance keeps getting picked but shows nothing.
RIP Don Shepherd on 22:16 - Aug 19 with 2303 viewsRobbie

Greg Thomas got a rewarded later , and Simon Jones too after hopefully
selectors realised there was a Severn Bridge .
RIP Don Shepherd on 22:44 - Aug 19 with 2274 viewsLoyal

RIP Don Shepherd on 21:46 - Aug 19 by sP7qupUf

Hugh Morris and Steve James were treated badly. Both scored over 2000 runs when we won the Championship and managed a handful of tests between them. Similarly, Maynard and Watkin were not given a fair ru. Other players were given many chances before they came good and others e.g. Balance keeps getting picked but shows nothing.

Play for a welsh county and suffer. Simple.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

RIP Don Shepherd on 00:46 - Aug 20 with 2230 viewstheloneranger

RIP Don Shepherd on 21:25 - Aug 19 by WarwickHunt

I'm not arguing with the fact that he was the best bowler never to play for England. There was just too much competition with other great spinners. I saw Underwood bowl us out before lunch on the first day at St. Helen's - 8 for bugger all.

Alan Jones had more chance of being capped in the 70s (disgraceful that his cap against RoW was taken away). Butcher joined Glamorgan in 1987 - they were still a good county opening partnership but near the end of their careers and miles away from selection.

Incidentally, Chris Broad got three consecutive tons opening the batting for England in tests against Australia in 86/87. In Australia...

I think Chris Broad won a car for those innings in Australia

Sorry meant to say Alan Butcher and Huw Morris opening partnership
[Post edited 20 Aug 2017 0:57]

RIP Don Shepherd on 10:40 - Aug 20 with 2143 viewsYossarian

Nice man, always had time for the youngsters around the rope at St. Helens, superb off-spinner and an interesting co-commentator on those last Sunday afternoons listening to the Radio Wales coverage with Edward Bevan. RIP.

"Yossarian- the very sight of the name made him shudder.There were so many esses in it. It just had to be subversive" (Catch 22)

RIP Don Shepherd on 11:16 - Aug 20 with 2129 viewskarnataka

RIP Don Shepherd on 10:40 - Aug 20 by Yossarian

Nice man, always had time for the youngsters around the rope at St. Helens, superb off-spinner and an interesting co-commentator on those last Sunday afternoons listening to the Radio Wales coverage with Edward Bevan. RIP.

When I was a kid in the mid-50s, I went to the old primary school in Parkmill and often used to go to Shepherd's shop in the village for ice creams etc. Don often used to serve me and I was in awe of a real cricketer serving me in a shop. A great sportsman with great humility. Lovely bloke. Thanks for the memories Don and RIP.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024