Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I was quite encouraged by today. 16:51 - Aug 19 with 5364 viewsexiledclaseboy

Yeah the result doesn't look good but for 75 minutes we competed well and after last week that was encouraging. The formation worked while we kept it but things fell apart when Clement made the subs. But he had to try something as we were chasing the game. I'd like to see Llorente up top with Abrahams doing what Ayew absolutely failed to do today. The obvious main worry is where the goals are coming from. It wasn't a 4/0 game today.

Poll: Tory leader

I was quite encouraged by today. on 22:34 - Aug 19 with 1033 viewsDavillin

I was quite encouraged by today. on 17:25 - Aug 19 by lifelong

I was still concerned how many times we gave the ball away today.

Those of you long-serving, or long-suffering, may remember that I used to review an entire game from videotape to quantify certain aspects of Swansea's play -- often failure to keep possession. Sadly [for me], I no longer have the interest or the gumption to do that.

However, my view of the game told me that "lifelong" is right, but that, in particular, Ayew is a major culprit being wasteful of possession -- not seeing opportunities to receive a pass in a good position until too late, making faulty passes of several descriptions, and being either somewhat too selfish with the ball or not able to see other players who could have made good use of the ball.

Some of you might remember that I gave a way of seeing how Leon almost invariably sees the whole scene of players and who can use the ball to good advantage [some of you didn't like the term "the flick," ha ha], and almost always even before he receives the ball. One of our fellow posters noted some time ago that Roque has the same skillset, and he proved it again today.

Sadly, when you have one too many players on the pitch who demonstrate little or nothing of those skills, the whole possession and movement game goes begging.

The defense, I agree with some of the posters, was manly and effective until near the end. I agree also that the tactical change played right into Man. U.'s hands. Or feet.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

I was quite encouraged by today. on 00:04 - Aug 20 with 973 viewsYossarian

I was quite encouraged by today. on 17:35 - Aug 19 by londonlisa2001

Bit of a curate's egg for me.

Mesa did quite well until he ran out of steam a bit, FF and Naughton did well on our right, Bartley was surprisingly impressive, Mawson was the weakest of our centre backs i thought - he made a few silly mistakes, although his distribution is generally good.

For me the weakest links were Fer and Carroll. Need a strong, powerful midefield in that formation, and there were a few times where they just got brushed off the ball and they lost too many 50:50 challenges. Upfront Ayew is a willing runner, but little end product today, and Tammy looked like he needs quite a few 20 minute cameos for a while rather than a starting position, for all I think he's hugely talented.

Off the bench though - dear me. Narsingh is another of our wunderkind wingers isn't he - all fur coat and no knickers, whereas Routs today had neither his coat nor his knickers as far as I could see. McBurnie - out of his depth, by a mile.

Liked the formation - both Olsson and Naughton suit the wing back role and it circumvents our less than talented wide players. Hoping we shift out Montero and possibly Dyer to create more room in wage bill.

I think we need 1 x centre midfield (Ki also to come back) if we are going to play 3 at the back, 1 x forward (McBurnie to go on loan), 1 x creative / wide midfielder. Ideally we also need another right back, but just can't see that many players coming in.
[Post edited 19 Aug 2017 17:37]

Generally I agree. Dyer isn't going anywhere as he just got another contract as reward for keeping his gob shut over the internal issues that saw him get a hasty loan and a PL winners medal.
For those banging on about wanting to see Llorente partner Tammy- it's pointless if they don't get any service Tammy was literally screaming in frustration today at the lack of service. He needs ball to feet, preferably in front of hi , but what did he actually get today. Fer as our play,alert? Don't make me laugh. Before people go on about Bony and other strikers blah blah blah- we need midfielders and some wingers who can actually go past people and cross the ball.Rant over.

"Yossarian- the very sight of the name made him shudder.There were so many esses in it. It just had to be subversive" (Catch 22)

I was quite encouraged by today. on 00:27 - Aug 20 with 942 viewsTownhill_Hilton

I was quite encouraged by today. on 17:36 - Aug 19 by sP7qupUf

So was I.

Ditto. Went into the game hoping for a draw, knowing that this is the best United side for a long time, with the ability to really punish you on the break, which they duly did, but only after we had gone after a goal to draw even. So encouraged given where we are in terms of recruitment. Thought when we set our stall up to try and contain United, we did well, and the goal was one of those heartbreakers. We could easily have been ahead of Ayew hadn't hit the crossbar, so, there were positives. When you put that defensive performance alongside the potential new signings, and the likes of Llorente coming back, I am far more confident than I was at this stage last season.
I was quite encouraged by today. on 00:51 - Aug 20 with 921 viewsymaohyd

As an American style 'State of the Union' address:

Positives: We have a good coach and a back 4/5 good enough to keep us up.

Negatives: As it stands we are possibly the worst team in the league going forward. We are packed full of give and go average players who are pretty much Championship standard. Lloriente will give us goals, however is totally reliant on decent service.

Huw Jenkins has once again overseen a cluster fu ck of a transfer window. Gylfi informed the club last season of his wishes yet it has taken all this time to sort out. Have we sold him for the same money that we could have weeks ago?

The bench for a PL side is an absolute disgrace.

As with last summer we had the opportunity to rectify a poor season and didn't, again this year, so far we haven't. No doubt new signings will come in during the next week or so. Are they going to represent a club looking to 'go to the next level'?...not a chance.

Blog: World Cup Performance = Transfer Speculation?

I was quite encouraged by today. on 01:11 - Aug 20 with 904 viewsKilkennyjack

I was quite encouraged by today. on 17:05 - Aug 19 by Loyal

We were majestic at times, very well organised, Bartley was excellent, Mesa too.
Against weaker sides we will get results.
But we need two more attacking players in.

No disgrace, Man Utd done us in five minutes.

Totally agree.

Beware of the Risen People

I was quite encouraged by today. on 12:00 - Aug 20 with 805 viewsPrivate_Partz

I was quite encouraged by today. on 21:38 - Aug 19 by vetchonian

So our best chances for scoring are from set pieces

We would have worried them a lot more had Llorente been fit. We had a lot of height in the team and he might just have tipped the balance.
I hope Clem keeps this in mind for the return game. Especially if we have a strengthened midfield. Am upset at OT would not be out of the question.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

I was quite encouraged by today. on 12:43 - Aug 20 with 778 viewsswansea68

I was quite encouraged by today. on 16:59 - Aug 19 by awayjack

Whilst we looked better in patches than last week, we lost 4-0 and had 1 shot on target. We've beaten ManU in 3 of our last 6 matches. Have our expectations fallen so low, we're satisfied after being outclassed and losing 4-0 at home. Each to their own I suppose if it makes you feel better.

It's obvious we need some strengthening and that's wat we will do. Once we transfer window close we will be stronger. We will lose 15/16 games this year so it's no worry. Palace next week is game where we can take points . Certain games will be targeted. It's a shame the way the result ended but that's out of their system by Monday. Don't be so negative pal. Mourhino has been brought in to make Man Utd great again with an unlimited budget too. Massive difference to Swansea and Man Utd yet we matched them for 3/4 of game and didn't get much luck.
I was quite encouraged by today. on 13:39 - Aug 20 with 729 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

I thought we were facking dreadful,fair play.

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Login to get fewer ads

I was quite encouraged by today. on 14:14 - Aug 20 with 690 viewssherpajacob

I was quite encouraged by today. on 20:43 - Aug 19 by Brynmill_Jack

Amazingly like the Spurs game last season. There we ran out of steam after constant Spurs pressure but today it was all down to us madly changing shape and tactics.

I actually thought we were bizarrely getting the upper hand between 70 and 80 minutes.
No need to panic at all, Mesa though admittedly after a slow start slowly grew into the game and with better options in front of him would have had even more impact on the game. For all I've criticized Fernandez over the last couple of years his performance today was outstanding. Mawson maybe not so but maybe playing three at the back confused him a bit. We have some good players but after the deadwood cull we need 4 or 5 more to fill the gaps on the field and the bench. More creativity is a must at AM though.

I thought our lack of attacking options in the first 60 minutes was because we lacked a wide man.

How many times in recent seasons have we bemoaned managers for not making attacking substitutions when we've needed a goal.

In hindsight, Clement should have just brought one winger on.

Taking bartley and mesa off together just gave United a free run through the middle

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024