Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Physio advice? 17:35 - Aug 20 with 1305 viewsKinsey

Any physio or anyone in the know who can shed light on this?

Today was my first game back after a small tear in my left calf.

Anyway, second half, cross came in, jumped to catch it, and when I landed felt an almighty pop, this time in my right calf. Dropped to the deck and had to be carried off.

10 times more painful than last time. Can't stand on it at all, so on crutches and out of football for at least a month.

Afternoon in A&E, have to have an ultrasound tomorrow, but they've said it looks like an acute tear/rupture.

I always warm up etc, but puzzled as to how this has happened twice.

Is that just bad luck or bad technique? Something like that?
[Post edited 20 Aug 2017 17:36]
Physio advice? on 17:39 - Aug 20 with 1279 viewsAl_Bundy

Could be few things.. Do you have tight calves normally? Could be tight hamstrings or even achilles or knee issues.
Physio advice? on 17:42 - Aug 20 with 1260 viewsTheFranchise

Age, flexibility, luck.

I've spent all my life in sport, seen a few physios and ran a gym for years. Injuries happen. It sounds to me like your calf hadn't yet healed properly or you hadn't regained the flexibility it had there prior to the minor tear.
Physio advice? on 17:45 - Aug 20 with 1244 viewsKinsey

Physio advice? on 17:42 - Aug 20 by TheFranchise

Age, flexibility, luck.

I've spent all my life in sport, seen a few physios and ran a gym for years. Injuries happen. It sounds to me like your calf hadn't yet healed properly or you hadn't regained the flexibility it had there prior to the minor tear.

It was the other calf, that's why I found it strange.
Physio advice? on 17:46 - Aug 20 with 1242 viewsKinsey

Not normally tight no.
Physio advice? on 17:47 - Aug 20 with 1235 viewsAl_Bundy

Physio advice? on 17:42 - Aug 20 by TheFranchise

Age, flexibility, luck.

Its is other calf this time..
Physio advice? on 17:54 - Aug 20 with 1219 viewsTheFranchise

Physio advice? on 17:45 - Aug 20 by Kinsey

It was the other calf, that's why I found it strange.

Ah, it's overcompensation. It's quite common.

Without you realising you've been favouring the good calf, it's likely to half taken 70% of the work instead of 50%.

NHS will do nothing for you, get it rested etc. Then go and see a sports therapist to sort the scar tissue.

I see one at least once a month, it's worth it.
Physio advice? on 17:56 - Aug 20 with 1198 viewsKinsey

Physio advice? on 17:54 - Aug 20 by TheFranchise

Ah, it's overcompensation. It's quite common.

Without you realising you've been favouring the good calf, it's likely to half taken 70% of the work instead of 50%.

NHS will do nothing for you, get it rested etc. Then go and see a sports therapist to sort the scar tissue.

I see one at least once a month, it's worth it.

Ah that makes sense. Thanks.

They're arranging for physio to start on Tuesday apparently.
Physio advice? on 18:01 - Aug 20 with 1171 viewsTheFranchise

Physio advice? on 17:56 - Aug 20 by Kinsey

Ah that makes sense. Thanks.

They're arranging for physio to start on Tuesday apparently.

that's to get you walking. Once that happens they'll sign you off, leaving you with scar tissue etc. If it's bad, get a few sports massages on it before you do anything sports related.
Login to get fewer ads

Physio advice? on 18:02 - Aug 20 with 1161 viewsKinsey

Physio advice? on 18:01 - Aug 20 by TheFranchise

that's to get you walking. Once that happens they'll sign you off, leaving you with scar tissue etc. If it's bad, get a few sports massages on it before you do anything sports related.

Ok will do that. Thanks for the advice.

I probably should remind myself I'm no longer 16!
Physio advice? on 18:42 - Aug 20 with 1056 viewsdickythorpe

Did you warm up? Very neglected at amateur level.
Physio advice? on 19:16 - Aug 20 with 980 viewsKinsey

Physio advice? on 18:42 - Aug 20 by dickythorpe

Did you warm up? Very neglected at amateur level.

Yeah I warmed up, that's why I found it strange.

In absolute agony now.

Not as young as I used to be, and a bit overweight so thats probably got something to do with it.
Physio advice? on 19:39 - Aug 20 with 931 viewsBarrySwan

Physio advice? on 19:16 - Aug 20 by Kinsey

Yeah I warmed up, that's why I found it strange.

In absolute agony now.

Not as young as I used to be, and a bit overweight so thats probably got something to do with it.

Back in the early nineties I played rugby for about 8 months at an American University who like all American sides were doing hugely comprehensive warm ups before playing, whilst back home in Wales before I left the players were still standing around on the pitch before a game chatting in little groups about the exertions of the previous night out on the town, chucking up last night's beer or relieving themselves in the bushes next to the pitch.

I used to watch in amazment when I moved to Scotland, the rugby teams there would basically have a full scale training session before a match whilst I lounged about on the sidelines chatting to the spectators. When the game started, half the team would be blowing lining up for the first whistle. I always thought that it was nuts and saved my energy for the actual game.

I never bothered warming up before a game in 4O odd years of playing Rugby, Football, Ice hockey ( actually, there were passing drills that all teams participate in in Ice Hockey before a game to get used to the different types of ice and getting the passing going but not mandatory stretching exercises as such) nor did I warm up in any other of the number of other sports played regularly and never had a twinge of any sort from ligaments, or hamstrings ( probably never ran or skated fast enough to be honest), but I fully appreciated that others carried out whatever warm up exercises they felt helped themselves to avoid injury.

Anyway, to get to the point, When I was playing in America I read an article in the university library that Cleveland University had carried out a long term extensive study into the benefits of warm ups and warm downs before and after sport.

And had come to the conclusion that neither made a scrap of difference to performance or the avoidance or otherwise of injury.

I have no idea of the validity of the findings and don't wish to get into a debate into whether warm ups/downs are a good thing or not ( and each to their own methods as far as I'm concerned) but I do always think of that study when I see teams and sports men/women limbering up before a game.
[Post edited 20 Aug 2017 19:42]
Physio advice? on 20:07 - Aug 20 with 875 viewsKinsey

That's a really interesting post Barry. I've heard other people debate similar.

I suppose being the second half of the game, even if I hadn't warmed up, prior to the first half, I would be warmed up by 2nd half. Maybe not the right muscles though.
Physio advice? on 20:12 - Aug 20 with 862 viewsbuilthjack

You did it yesterday climbing those steps to meet me. Don't tell Darran.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Physio advice? on 20:17 - Aug 20 with 842 viewsBanosswan

Have gait analysis and make sure you wear the correct footwear. I've always struggled with calf issues, but they improve when I get the right trainers and orthotics.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Physio advice? on 20:36 - Aug 20 with 796 viewsKinsey

Physio advice? on 20:12 - Aug 20 by builthjack

You did it yesterday climbing those steps to meet me. Don't tell Darran.

Hahah I've been waiting for a classic darran comment, which by the way is welcome lol.
Physio advice? on 20:38 - Aug 20 with 789 viewsKinsey

Physio advice? on 20:17 - Aug 20 by Banosswan

Have gait analysis and make sure you wear the correct footwear. I've always struggled with calf issues, but they improve when I get the right trainers and orthotics.

That's a really good idea. Thanks

I'll get that done.

Funnily enough, both calf injuries have been with my new boots.

They're Messi boots, so that b4std might have a lot to answer for hahaha
Physio advice? on 20:49 - Aug 20 with 767 viewsAl_Bundy

Physio advice? on 20:38 - Aug 20 by Kinsey

I'll get that done.

Referring to my first response.. the gait analyse is a good shout.

I was getting calf issues playing both football and cricket anything from tight to tears.

It was diagnosed on the analyse that I have high foot arches which had little support which was damaging may achilles and calves. I had orthotics made about 4 years ago and have had no issues since.
Physio advice? on 20:53 - Aug 20 with 752 viewsBanosswan

Physio advice? on 20:38 - Aug 20 by Kinsey

I'll get that done.

Your everyday shoes too. Can get expensive mind!

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Physio advice? on 21:18 - Aug 20 with 716 viewsKinsey

Physio advice? on 20:53 - Aug 20 by Banosswan

Your everyday shoes too. Can get expensive mind!

Will bear that in mind. Thanks.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024