Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ball retention 11:21 - Aug 21 with 5877 viewsDr_Winston

Clement's comments in the article below certainly add fuel to the "Bony's return" fire for me. It was noticeable how much our inability to keep the ball in the final third restricted our attacking play and increased Utd's ability to pressurise our midfield and defence.

I'd question just how much Ayew is going to be able to battle against defenders six inches taller, but if Abraham is going to learn how to do it then there's few better to have around. No reason why Llorente can't stick around too.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/paul-clement-loan-spell-not-13501941

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Ball retention on 11:32 - Aug 21 with 5786 viewsawayjack

Agree ball retention major issue up front in first two games. Ayew has lots of energy and some good qualities, but he loses the ball on poor first touch and Routs, Fer and Narsingh all lost ball far too many times so far. Tammy's had a tough gig in both games and surrounded by 2/3 players in both matches. Carrol is OK and Mesa, whilst a little rusty clearly be fine and hopefully allow better distribution. It's key we get AM and Wing that have better control to hold ball up. Priority in window as well as obvious cover at RB, particularly if we're moving more to more wing back formation, so and Arias if rumours are true, be ideal.
Ball retention on 11:35 - Aug 21 with 5766 viewsandypitt56

Apparently we have had a 10m bid rejected for Bony.
Ball retention on 12:11 - Aug 21 with 5659 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Considering the massive decline in his playing time and goal scoring £10Million is too much.
Man City ruined him.
Unless we think we can reverse the decline I am amazed we would offer that much, I can't see any takers at Man C's asking price.
Ball retention on 12:33 - Aug 21 with 5550 viewsJackSomething

Ball retention on 12:11 - Aug 21 by A_Fans_Dad

Considering the massive decline in his playing time and goal scoring £10Million is too much.
Man City ruined him.
Unless we think we can reverse the decline I am amazed we would offer that much, I can't see any takers at Man C's asking price.

I agree it's too much, but this is a world where:

- A PL team are going to spend £15m on Chris Wood (released by WBA for being too slow for the PL, don't think Leeds will have somehow made him faster)
- Liverpool want £30m for Sakho, a player who the manager has made clear has no future at the club, so he's just a waste of wages for them right now.
- Chelsea have made Costa persona non grata, but don't seem inclined to actually sell him.

Football is nuts. We'll probably end up paying £13-15m for Bony.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Ball retention on 12:33 - Aug 21 with 5554 viewsSwanseajill

I thought that our passing on Saturday was not too bad, and pretty accurate for a lot of the time.

But it's true, retention was poor mostly because the opposition sent a swarm of players on to us quickly rather than us making a run to gain room to pass.
We rely on accurate passing too much, making runs with possession is rare to our game.

IF we can secure Bony, I hope our fans will have the patients to give him time to settle.
Ball retention on 12:38 - Aug 21 with 5504 viewslondonlisa2001

Ball retention on 11:35 - Aug 21 by andypitt56

Apparently we have had a 10m bid rejected for Bony.

I am genuinely struggling to believe that if we are going to pay £10m - £12m for a forward, Bony (not the Bony we sold, the one that has barely played for 2 years or more and is whatever age he is), is the best we could get for that.

Surely Clement knows players on the fringes of Bayern, or Madrid, or PSG or the clubs that they play every week that are a better buy and may want a first move to the premier league?
[Post edited 21 Aug 2017 12:38]
Ball retention on 12:38 - Aug 21 with 5505 viewsMrSwerve

Ball retention on 12:33 - Aug 21 by Swanseajill

I thought that our passing on Saturday was not too bad, and pretty accurate for a lot of the time.

But it's true, retention was poor mostly because the opposition sent a swarm of players on to us quickly rather than us making a run to gain room to pass.
We rely on accurate passing too much, making runs with possession is rare to our game.

IF we can secure Bony, I hope our fans will have the patients to give him time to settle.

Our fans and patience do not mix.

Bony scored two goals on his debut in the Europa league, and a goal on his Premier League debut, but according to many of our fans he had a 'slow start'...

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Ball retention on 12:38 - Aug 21 with 5497 viewsJackSomething

Ball retention on 12:33 - Aug 21 by Swanseajill

I admire the optimism in your last sentence. Some of our fans (cough...Geoff Thom...cough) were so impatient last time, somehow missing his 6 goals in his first 9 games, that they still can't admit how good he was for us.

God help him if he joins and doesn't have a Leon Knight-style start.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Login to get fewer ads

Ball retention on 12:42 - Aug 21 with 5464 viewsjack247

I said on another thread, the Bony of 3 years ago would have been perfect Saturday. I'm not sure quite how we would set up, but Tammy and Ayew behind Bony (if we could get the old Bony back) running off his through balls would be a nightmare to defend.
Ball retention on 12:46 - Aug 21 with 5430 viewsSwanseajill

Ball retention on 12:38 - Aug 21 by JackSomething

I admire the optimism in your last sentence. Some of our fans (cough...Geoff Thom...cough) were so impatient last time, somehow missing his 6 goals in his first 9 games, that they still can't admit how good he was for us.

Its the Swansea trend, just seeing the bits they want to, and ignoring the.....be patient bits.

Last season, with patience, it all turned out well in the wash didn't it?
Ball retention on 12:49 - Aug 21 with 5406 viewsJango

I suppose we could sign Jordan Rhodes or Ross McCormack for £12million, or go abroad and sign a baston for £15million. It's not a lot in the grand scheme of things unfortunately.
Ball retention on 12:56 - Aug 21 with 5352 viewsSwanseajill

Ball retention on 12:38 - Aug 21 by londonlisa2001

I am genuinely struggling to believe that if we are going to pay £10m - £12m for a forward, Bony (not the Bony we sold, the one that has barely played for 2 years or more and is whatever age he is), is the best we could get for that.

Surely Clement knows players on the fringes of Bayern, or Madrid, or PSG or the clubs that they play every week that are a better buy and may want a first move to the premier league?

If it goes the way of most seasons Lisa, it will be a player that hasn't been mentioned on here, or in the papers.

New blood is needed, preferably a player with height, weight,and power. Against Man U we looked puny.
Ball retention on 13:04 - Aug 21 with 5306 viewslondonlisa2001

Ball retention on 12:56 - Aug 21 by Swanseajill

If it goes the way of most seasons Lisa, it will be a player that hasn't been mentioned on here, or in the papers.

New blood is needed, preferably a player with height, weight,and power. Against Man U we looked puny.

I'm losing hope to be honest this time. I'm struggling to get too enthused by any of the names mentioned. Clucas has been a nice player when I've seen him, same with Chadli. I'm just not sure 'nice' players are good enough to change us at the moment.

I agree that we looked puny. For me, Carroll and Fer were particularly puny, but Tammy and Ayew weren't much better. Partly, of course, the combination of strength and speed and skill in the players like Pogba is what makes them so incredibly expensive, but we just don't seem to have any time on the ball, ever. And that's because our players are lacking that little extra speed of thought that gives them space. Leon used to have it in spades, Rangel had it as well. And Routs. Problem is they've aged, and we haven't replaced.

Genuinely concerned at present.
Ball retention on 13:09 - Aug 21 with 5263 viewsTheFranchise

To be fair to the players we had on the pitch against Utd, I think nearly all the teams this season will look small compared to that Utd side. It's a massive team.
Ball retention on 13:16 - Aug 21 with 5228 viewsgiantstoneater

Ball retention on 11:32 - Aug 21 by awayjack

Agree ball retention major issue up front in first two games. Ayew has lots of energy and some good qualities, but he loses the ball on poor first touch and Routs, Fer and Narsingh all lost ball far too many times so far. Tammy's had a tough gig in both games and surrounded by 2/3 players in both matches. Carrol is OK and Mesa, whilst a little rusty clearly be fine and hopefully allow better distribution. It's key we get AM and Wing that have better control to hold ball up. Priority in window as well as obvious cover at RB, particularly if we're moving more to more wing back formation, so and Arias if rumours are true, be ideal.

More often than not he had nobody higher up to aim for and passed a lot of balls sideways not his fault but we needed someone in between the lines for him to aim at. Tammy struggled against a very physical Utd backline did we expect anything out of him really, he ran his socks off but had little support from our midfield.
Ball retention on 13:32 - Aug 21 with 5147 viewsLeonWasGod

Does seem a bit strange that we're being linked with someone from Hull, 2 guys who used to play for us and someone else we've been tracking for years. It's almost as if Clement isn't involved in identifying targets.....
Ball retention on 13:41 - Aug 21 with 5121 viewsSwanseajill

Ball retention on 13:04 - Aug 21 by londonlisa2001

I'm losing hope to be honest this time. I'm struggling to get too enthused by any of the names mentioned. Clucas has been a nice player when I've seen him, same with Chadli. I'm just not sure 'nice' players are good enough to change us at the moment.

I agree that we looked puny. For me, Carroll and Fer were particularly puny, but Tammy and Ayew weren't much better. Partly, of course, the combination of strength and speed and skill in the players like Pogba is what makes them so incredibly expensive, but we just don't seem to have any time on the ball, ever. And that's because our players are lacking that little extra speed of thought that gives them space. Leon used to have it in spades, Rangel had it as well. And Routs. Problem is they've aged, and we haven't replaced.

Genuinely concerned at present.

Yes, on your last sentence I agree. Unless our players are also " in waiting" for the main men to arrive, I'm sure they can do better.

Most of our fans must be concerned, and imagine the concern of Clements and his staff being sparse on the field and sparse on the bench.

Long distance owners? Probably ...not so concerned.
Ball retention on 14:55 - Aug 21 with 4961 viewsawayjack

Another strange part of our transfer dealings. Not even a hint of his former teams / players joining us aside from early talk of Badstuber that came to nothing. Is this he doesn't have raltijbshos or Hie doesn't want manager to have cintrol over transfers like Laudrup.
Ball retention on 15:10 - Aug 21 with 4915 viewsBytholWyn

Clement has made it pretty clear that he sees himself mainly as a coach - so I don't expect him to have a massive input into recruitment. Having said that I understand that the reason Abraham signed for us is that Clement made the effort to talk to him and his family in person to persuade him that his development would be best served by joining us.

It wouldn't surprise me if there's a late addition - perhaps a loan signing from Bayern Munich.
Ball retention on 15:17 - Aug 21 with 4889 viewsDr_Winston

Ball retention on 15:10 - Aug 21 by BytholWyn

Clement has made it pretty clear that he sees himself mainly as a coach - so I don't expect him to have a massive input into recruitment. Having said that I understand that the reason Abraham signed for us is that Clement made the effort to talk to him and his family in person to persuade him that his development would be best served by joining us.

It wouldn't surprise me if there's a late addition - perhaps a loan signing from Bayern Munich.

People are convinced that Clement isn't having much say in recruitment and retention. Plenty were convinced Jenkins forced Bartley on him for example.

I'm not as sure that he's a hapless dupe as others seem to be.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Ball retention on 15:33 - Aug 21 with 4847 viewsSwansea93

Clement also said he doesn't like the transfer window part of the job.

Poll: Can Montero do it on a rainy Saturday afternoon?

Ball retention on 18:46 - Sep 2 with 4463 viewsDr_Winston

Ball retention on 12:38 - Aug 21 by JackSomething

This needs to be emphasised more than anything.

Wilf got off to a good start last time and there were plenty of dickheads waiting to slag him off. It's important that the new attacking players are given a little bit of patience to click during games as they haven't had the luxury of a pre-season together.

Ball retention on 23:20 - Sep 2 with 4114 viewsangryjack

Ball retention on 11:32 - Aug 21 by awayjack

Ayew got a class first touch not a poor one
Ball retention on 08:02 - Sep 3 with 3888 viewsswanforthemoney

Ball retention on 15:10 - Aug 21 by BytholWyn

Last sentence. Great call.

I stand in the North Stand

Ball retention on 14:15 - Sep 3 with 3555 viewsawayjack

Ball retention on 23:20 - Sep 2 by angryjack

Ayew got a class first touch not a poor one

If you can be arsed, count the number of times he's lost the ball in first three games..and similar last season. Energy levels are good and he create space, but touch is not PL quality. Not suggesting he won't improve, but we'll need Bony to have control/ hold-up play he showed during his last stretch here. Remember Bony control was poor in his first 5/6 games for us, so there's hope for Ayew!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024