Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Free food 21:05 - Aug 28 with 2483 viewsPacemaker

Together with my Mrs spent the afternoon picking blackberries about 200m from the house. We spent a couple of hours in the sunshine picking fruit, just eat a fantastic blackberry tart with a bit of custard. We have got a couple of kilos of fruit for nothing in the freezer.

Do young people do such stuff now? Do they just buy from their local shop or just buy ready meals?

As a young man picked Wimberries, Blackberries growing wild and strawberries from my dads allotments and sold them around my Valley village for decent money in those days.

Is that below us now?

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

Free food on 21:06 - Aug 28 with 1465 viewsDarran

Fantastic Bags always had some great Wimberries.

Oh and expect a PM off Scouce.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Free food on 21:13 - Aug 28 with 1452 viewslifelong

This time of the year is a great time for being out and about in the countryside, as well as wild berries, nuts and mushrooms are about,I've picked them since I was a boy.
Free food on 21:15 - Aug 28 with 1425 viewsDarran

Free food on 21:13 - Aug 28 by lifelong

This time of the year is a great time for being out and about in the countryside, as well as wild berries, nuts and mushrooms are about,I've picked them since I was a boy.

Let's hope for a bumper crop of Sloe Berries. 👀

Free food on 21:20 - Aug 28 with 1423 viewslifelong

Free food on 21:15 - Aug 28 by Darran

Let's hope for a bumper crop of Sloe Berries. 👀

Now you mention it I haven't seen many about this year, it's a bit early yet, will report back in a few weeks.
Free food on 21:23 - Aug 28 with 1407 viewsSwanjaxs

Haven't you got to soak blackberry's overnight in sugar to get rid of any maggots though?
[Post edited 28 Aug 2017 21:23]

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Free food on 21:23 - Aug 28 with 1406 viewsPacemaker

Free food on 21:13 - Aug 28 by lifelong

Me too and I brought my children up the same way I had been brought up but the amount of fruit my Mrs and I have picked recently is unprecedented.

I see people going passed blackberry bushes a couple of hundred metres long and not taking a second look. We had strawberries, tomatoes, cucumbers and courgettes by the kilo from the garden due to our warm wet summer. But the free fruit on the roadside is amazing this year.

Free food on 21:23 - Aug 28 with 1401 viewsDarran

Free food on 21:20 - Aug 28 by lifelong

Now you mention it I haven't seen many about this year, it's a bit early yet, will report back in a few weeks.

Keep me informed Rog.

Free food on 21:24 - Aug 28 with 1401 viewsFieryJack

Used to pick them as a kid.

On a canal walk this morning and there were loads along the way.

Very rarely see anyone picking them nowadays.

More to the point: were you & your wife panty-less when gathering in the fruits of nature?

It's the in thing these days, apparently.

It's actually illegal in Denmark and some northern areas of Germany to pick way-side fruit if you have underwear on.

Fug knows why.
Login to get fewer ads

Free food on 21:25 - Aug 28 with 1393 viewsJohnw102

Wife and myself were out picking a load last evening. Can't believe the number of people you see picking them on the roadside, covered in car fumes etc. Never take the dogs out without a bag to collect in. Only downside new next door neighbour trimmed all his apple trees, not one windfall this year! Bar-Steward!!!!

Never knew getting old would happen so quick!

Free food on 21:26 - Aug 28 with 1384 viewsDarran

Free food on 21:24 - Aug 28 by FieryJack

More to the point: were you & your wife panty-less when gathering in the fruits of nature?

It's actually illegal in Denmark and some northern areas of Germany to pick way-side fruit if you have underwear on.

Fug knows why.

He lives in Baglan FFS he's not some Scouce prick.

Free food on 21:31 - Aug 28 with 1369 viewsPacemaker

Free food on 21:24 - Aug 28 by FieryJack

Fug knows why.

We wore flip flops and shorts and as a result were covered in nettle stings and bramble cuts. Anything less clothed is beyond pain in my world.

Free food on 21:33 - Aug 28 with 1351 viewsDarran

Free food on 21:31 - Aug 28 by Pacemaker

We wore flip flops and shorts and as a result were covered in nettle stings and bramble cuts. Anything less clothed is beyond pain in my world.

Someone was on the Baglan Facebook group recently blaming the council that certain areas were overgrown. It's because youngsters don't use the areas and footpaths anymore.

Free food on 21:35 - Aug 28 with 1349 viewsPacemaker

Free food on 21:25 - Aug 28 by Johnw102

Wife and myself were out picking a load last evening. Can't believe the number of people you see picking them on the roadside, covered in car fumes etc. Never take the dogs out without a bag to collect in. Only downside new next door neighbour trimmed all his apple trees, not one windfall this year! Bar-Steward!!!!

Stayed up in Reigate with my mate who is a Palace ST holder he has a massive garden and raspberries, apple, pears and damsons just there to be taken. I know it's not Kent but the SE is a garden of Eden.

Free food on 21:36 - Aug 28 with 1334 viewsPacemaker

Free food on 21:33 - Aug 28 by Darran

Someone was on the Baglan Facebook group recently blaming the council that certain areas were overgrown. It's because youngsters don't use the areas and footpaths anymore.

Totally on the ball Darren, in my day we would have taken over every bit of green space for sport or general mucking about.
[Post edited 28 Aug 2017 21:37]

Free food on 21:38 - Aug 28 with 1327 viewsswanforthemoney

Free food on 21:23 - Aug 28 by Swanjaxs

Haven't you got to soak blackberry's overnight in sugar to get rid of any maggots though?

Bit of extra protein never did anyone any harm.

I stand in the North Stand

Free food on 21:38 - Aug 28 with 1318 viewsDarran

Free food on 21:36 - Aug 28 by Pacemaker

Totally on the ball Darren, in my day we would have taken over every bit of green space for sport or general mucking about.
[Post edited 28 Aug 2017 21:37]

Just down from where you're living was an area called the Green Pool,we spent the summers there,slept there with a little fire for weeks.

Free food on 21:39 - Aug 28 with 1315 viewsFieryJack

Free food on 21:35 - Aug 28 by Pacemaker

Stayed up in Reigate with my mate who is a Palace ST holder he has a massive garden and raspberries, apple, pears and damsons just there to be taken. I know it's not Kent but the SE is a garden of Eden.

After saturdays result he probably thinks you're a bit of a Kent. You'll be banned from his garden for a month.
Free food on 21:41 - Aug 28 with 1310 viewsPacemaker

Free food on 21:38 - Aug 28 by Darran

Just down from where you're living was an area called the Green Pool,we spent the summers there,slept there with a little fire for weeks.

That's where I was picking fruit not a child to be seen or heard unbelievable on such a fantastic day.

Perhaps they were alll down the beach or more likely sitting at home.

Free food on 21:43 - Aug 28 with 1288 viewsDarran

Free food on 21:41 - Aug 28 by Pacemaker

That's where I was picking fruit not a child to be seen or heard unbelievable on such a fantastic day.

Perhaps they were alll down the beach or more likely sitting at home.

Probably all on Planetswans.

Seriously though they don't get out enough.

Free food on 21:46 - Aug 28 with 1284 viewsPacemaker

Free food on 21:39 - Aug 28 by FieryJack

After saturdays result he probably thinks you're a bit of a Kent. You'll be banned from his garden for a month.

No we go back a long way we were both present when we dominated but Palace won as a result of DDV missing a shit free kick from about 200 yards under Warnock and subsequent other miscarriages of justice sch as the Glen Murray non penalty draw in our charity game.

Free food on 21:49 - Aug 28 with 1277 viewsdickythorpe

Llanmadoc is great for blacberries.

Lifey, keep me informed on the sloes. Still have a drop left from 3 years ago! Bloody strong stuff that matured sloe gin!
Free food on 21:55 - Aug 28 with 1258 viewslifelong

Free food on 21:49 - Aug 28 by dickythorpe

Llanmadoc is great for blacberries.

Lifey, keep me informed on the sloes. Still have a drop left from 3 years ago! Bloody strong stuff that matured sloe gin!

Will do, haven't been out so much this year for a variety of reasons, September is my favourite month so hoping to get out a bit. I've still got a drop of 4 year vintage somewhere, it matures well.
Free food on 22:00 - Aug 28 with 1239 viewsSwanjaxs

Free food on 21:38 - Aug 28 by swanforthemoney

Bit of extra protein never did anyone any harm.

So very true.... I keep telling my missus this! But via another source of protein.... but she's having none of it 😕

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Free food on 22:02 - Aug 28 with 1228 viewsDarran

Funny thing it was the anniversary of my Grans death recently and I was telling my wife a story.

I was about 10 and my parents had gone to a wedding so my Gran had come to our house to look after me and my sister,I'd gone out with my mates and we ended up in a garden in Crofton Drive,Baglan. Being the best climber I was still up the top of the tree shaking away when the house owner ran down the garden. I was caught. He marched me to my house which wasn't far away,knocked on the door and told my Gran he'd caught me in his garden robbing apples.

My Gran replied ........ "And?"

Utter utter legend Nan. 😍

Free food on 22:47 - Aug 28 with 1170 viewsSwanseajill

Free food on 21:23 - Aug 28 by Swanjaxs

I grow blueberrys and blackcurrents, but usually pick blackberrys. I put them in a colander and sprinkle with salt. Leave them for half an hour.

That's what my mum used to do, and I don't think I remember any maggots swimming in the custard.😌
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024