Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Insane Taboos 17:58 - Aug 31 with 1632 viewsNogginthenog

Look at this tragedy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-41107982
Insane Taboos on 17:59 - Aug 31 with 1629 viewsr0ckin

It's another one of those Western imperialist stories that I don't have any time for.

Who are we to be judge and jury. I think it's insane, but I'm looking at it through Western eyes.

Peace

Insane Taboos on 05:33 - Sep 1 with 1538 viewsEasternJack

Insane Taboos on 17:59 - Aug 31 by r0ckin

It's another one of those Western imperialist stories that I don't have any time for.

Who are we to be judge and jury. I think it's insane, but I'm looking at it through Western eyes.

Lived in India for the best part of the last 10 years and it's impossible to understand a lot of what goes on if you come at it with a "western" mindset.

The caste system is unbreakable and creates division at all levels of society - there's no compassion outside people's immediate groups. Add to that a mentality towards women that is pure objectification on a dangerous level. Unfortunatley life is cheap in places like this - the linked story is a common theme.

As a good expat friend of mine used to say - living in India is the it's closest we'll get to living on the moon. The biggest take away I have from my time in India is that I'm lucky to be born British, and a lot of people in the uk who complain about first world problems have no idea what life is like for the majority on this planet.

Poll: Hull vs Middlesborough - What do we want?

Insane Taboos on 08:57 - Sep 1 with 1503 viewsNogginthenog

Insane Taboos on 05:33 - Sep 1 by EasternJack

Lived in India for the best part of the last 10 years and it's impossible to understand a lot of what goes on if you come at it with a "western" mindset.

The caste system is unbreakable and creates division at all levels of society - there's no compassion outside people's immediate groups. Add to that a mentality towards women that is pure objectification on a dangerous level. Unfortunatley life is cheap in places like this - the linked story is a common theme.

As a good expat friend of mine used to say - living in India is the it's closest we'll get to living on the moon. The biggest take away I have from my time in India is that I'm lucky to be born British, and a lot of people in the uk who complain about first world problems have no idea what life is like for the majority on this planet.

Thanks for that I've never been there so it's interesting to learn about the culture.
Insane Taboos on 09:43 - Sep 1 with 1484 viewsBatterseajack

Looks to me that India could do with more progressives, Liberals, SJW and snowflake types to drag it away from its own conservative values and modernize.
Insane Taboos on 10:29 - Sep 1 with 1449 viewswhoflungdung

Outstanding post ,eastern.really.

Poll: Is it Spa or spa

Insane Taboos on 11:50 - Sep 1 with 1412 viewsEasternJack

Insane Taboos on 09:43 - Sep 1 by Batterseajack

Looks to me that India could do with more progressives, Liberals, SJW and snowflake types to drag it away from its own conservative values and modernize.

It's got all those things. But 1.3Bn people creates a lot of noise.the politicians grandstand to the massed poorer classes who are typically conservative (and dare I say extremely backward). Votes are bought by literally handing out white goods at election time.

The larger worry for India right now is that the ruling party is tying to create a Hindu state. This reinforces the traditions that we find alien. It also creates an environment of tolerance of abuse towards other religions. Violence against onwards minorities has skyrocketed in the last 2 years.

What's about to make this worse is the India economy is tanking. A mass of IT jobs are disappearing on the back of us policies and improved productivity. This is an extremely dangerous situation as these are empowered and financially independent people who will be unemployed - (all with debts and dependencies). They have been brought up and promised job security . Add that to the millions of graduates being dumped into unemployment every year and the law/order situation will become a huge problem.The India government is hiding the decline with spin, but th unrest this will cause will be huge.
[Post edited 1 Sep 2017 11:53]

Poll: Hull vs Middlesborough - What do we want?

Insane Taboos on 12:53 - Sep 1 with 1379 viewsoldcob

Lots of what goes on in India is strange to us. My wife and I would use the same "restaurant" for lunch and dinner most days whilst on holidays there. We made friends with the owner of the establishment who offered us, if we were to return, a room at the back of his restaurant for £6 per night, £8 for air conditioned. When I explained transfer from the airport would be difficult he said he'd pick us up. I asked how much he would charge for the transfer and he said "Nothing, you are my friends"
It bewildered me a little bit, he was a businessman after all, until it was explained to me that being a landlord and restaurant owner was fitting to his caste, but by charging me for the transfer he'd be doing the work of a taxi, or hire car driver which was below his caste.
Should any of you be lucky enough to visit India, get out and about, hire a car for the day maybe, you will learn much more than laying on the beach all day. Fascinating country, but sometimes makes you want to cry at what you see.
Insane Taboos on 12:57 - Sep 1 with 1373 viewsMo_Wives

Insane Taboos on 09:43 - Sep 1 by Batterseajack

With all due respect, I don't think massive amounts of virtue signalling is going to help.

Good luck, Mr Cooper

Login to get fewer ads

Insane Taboos on 18:19 - Sep 1 with 1299 viewsr0ckin

Insane Taboos on 12:57 - Sep 1 by Mo_Wives

With all due respect, I don't think massive amounts of virtue signalling is going to help.

Absolutely, always this notion that it's all leftism that ever changes anything.

Conservatism is "sceptical" of change, it is not adverse to change. This is not going to be sorted by a few pinkos sharing fb links, this is something that will change organically over time.

Peace

Insane Taboos on 18:28 - Sep 1 with 1288 viewsMo_Wives

Insane Taboos on 18:19 - Sep 1 by r0ckin

Absolutely, always this notion that it's all leftism that ever changes anything.

Conservatism is "sceptical" of change, it is not adverse to change. This is not going to be sorted by a few pinkos sharing fb links, this is something that will change organically over time.

He probably doesn't see the irony in being an 'anti racist', while suggesting the way to sort out the problems of brown people in the third world, is to get western liberals to go over and drag them into the modern world.

Good luck, Mr Cooper

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024