Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Top 4 Team Fans in Swansea 12:53 - Sep 1 with 8017 viewsAl_Bundy

I was driving through Swansea last Sunday and noticed a number of fellas wearing Liverpool replica tops.

Don't understand this myself supporting a team probably against the city/region you was born?

Is this pattern replicated among the youth in Swansea or have we captured a generation of support over the likes of Man U, Liverpool etc?
Top 4 Team Fans in Swansea on 12:59 - Sep 1 with 4039 viewswhoflungdung

Amen.

I went to the Kop in the late seventies with chums I d made here but it wasnt the same.

However late seventies saw us rise like a Phoenix and ,for me, they were exciting times.

Kids in playgrounds can be e caused for glory hunting but not adults.

It's not just Swansea. Devon has a load of Manc plastics and those who travel from north west Wales to Liverpool and Manchester by passing Wrexham are simply shameful.

North east Wales should support Wrexham but Liverpool and especially Everton have always held sway.

Plenty of Welsh flags with Liverpool and Everton abound

Poll: Is it Spa or spa

Top 4 Team Fans in Swansea on 13:05 - Sep 1 with 4001 viewsscottishjack

From my experience working in pubs around Swansea, there's always a decent turn out if Liverpool are playing live on TV. To a lesser extent, we get a bit of a spike if Leeds are on?
Top 4 Team Fans in Swansea on 13:21 - Sep 1 with 3957 viewswhoflungdung

Many Jacks with a brain have a soft spot for Liverpool FC for not wiping us out over the non payment of Ray Kennedy fee, which wecre aged on.

They could have had us wound up

Modern Liverpool FC would have but Peter Robinson was an honourable chairman who took pity on us as a club.

We owe them much as we wouldn't have a club to bitch over

Some have never handled that simple fact

Top 4 Team Fans in Swansea on 13:38 - Sep 1 with 3868 viewsCooperman

Top 4 Team Fans in Swansea on 13:21 - Sep 1 by whoflungdung

Many Jacks with a brain have a soft spot for Liverpool FC for not wiping us out over the non payment of Ray Kennedy fee, which wecre aged on.

They could have had us wound up

Modern Liverpool FC would have but Peter Robinson was an honourable chairman who took pity on us as a club.

We owe them much as we wouldn't have a club to bitch over

Some have never handled that simple fact

That implies that we will owe them forever, which we don't.

A great gesture at the time, but time moves on. Old rivalries have gone courtesy of our time in the basement; new rivalries are established as a result of our rise.

I've got a brain but don't possess a soft spot for them.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Top 4 Team Fans in Swansea on 13:41 - Sep 1 with 3855 viewsAl_Bundy

Difference being though Devon and North Wales don't have a prem side like we do. I sort of get it when we were in L2 but there really shouldn't be a reason for a 9 to 15 year old not supporting the Swans now unless the parents influence them otherwise.
Top 4 Team Fans in Swansea on 14:00 - Sep 1 with 3774 viewsgolly47

Top 4 Team Fans in Swansea on 12:59 - Sep 1 by whoflungdung

Amen.

I went to the Kop in the late seventies with chums I d made here but it wasnt the same.

However late seventies saw us rise like a Phoenix and ,for me, they were exciting times.

It's not just Swansea. Devon has a load of Manc plastics and those who travel from north west Wales to Liverpool and Manchester by passing Wrexham are simply shameful.

North east Wales should support Wrexham but Liverpool and especially Everton have always held sway.

From my experience of knowing people from Wrexham, they think they're from Manchester. Neck deep (a pop punk band from Wrexham) idolize the place. They played a gig in Cardiff, and showed little sign of that "proud to be Welsh" schtick, and couldn't thank the Manc support enough when they played at Manchester.

Never forget your roots.

Poll: What was worse?

Top 4 Team Fans in Swansea on 14:07 - Sep 1 with 3749 viewspencoedjack

Personally would rather see a youngster from South Wales (if not wearing a Swans top) in a Bassey top than one of the top 4 clubs.

I notice a few Man City tops appearing these days.
Top 4 Team Fans in Swansea on 14:08 - Sep 1 with 3749 viewsjack247

Top 4 Team Fans in Swansea on 13:38 - Sep 1 by Cooperman

That implies that we will owe them forever, which we don't.

A great gesture at the time, but time moves on. Old rivalries have gone courtesy of our time in the basement; new rivalries are established as a result of our rise.

I've got a brain but don't possess a soft spot for them.

Perch is a little biased when it comes to Liverpool. Most 'Jacks' that follow them either had a top flight team as well as us, or only got interested in us when we became decent. There may be a few hardcore Jacks that feel indebted to them, but the vast majority are no different to the Jacks who follow the Swans and Man United.

Back on topic, a few years ago, there was a study on (I think) Mail online. Swansea was one of only four or five cities outside London, Manchester and Liverpool where the local club was the most supported. Newcastle had the best percentage, I think Norwich and Sunderland were up there too. It was when all were in the PL. Hull may have been too.
Login to get fewer ads

Top 4 Team Fans in Swansea on 14:15 - Sep 1 with 3733 viewssomersetsimon

Top 4 Team Fans in Swansea on 13:41 - Sep 1 by Al_Bundy

Difference being though Devon and North Wales don't have a prem side like we do. I sort of get it when we were in L2 but there really shouldn't be a reason for a 9 to 15 year old not supporting the Swans now unless the parents influence them otherwise.

Don't care. I started supporting the Swans when we were in the old Div 4. I think you should only legally be allowed to call yourself a supporter of a club if (a) that was the nearest club to where you were born and/raised, (b) your parents supported the club or (c) you have a doctor's note.
If you go into Sports Direct in Swansea and ask to buy a Liverpool shirt, you should have to provide written evidence to explain why.
Top 4 Team Fans in Swansea on 14:21 - Sep 1 with 3709 viewsNaughty71

I think that many things contribute to this phenomenon.

My best mate has lived in both Neath and Swansea for his entire life after moving here from Portsmouth when a toddler. He has been a lifelong Liverpool follower all his life. This is obviously from the dominance of Liverpool in the 1980s, bandwagon jumpers and impressionable kids were sucked in. He has never been to Anfield in his life. A follower rather than a "fan".

We all know that changing your football allegiances is all but impossible once ingrained, and we have 2 generations of football fans following successful teams from the last 3-4 decades, which have been dominated by Liverpool and then Manchester United.

I don't know where some of these people come from originally, or their parents, but it is possible for people to relocate and bring their football allegiances with them. Not every person with a different premier club team shirt on is from Swansea.

BUT, I think that if our football club can continue to play and impress in this league, the longer we stay where we are and continue to grow, the more of the younger generation will be enticed into the fold.

I have to admit, my match-going experience has changed dramatically since we moved to the Liberty. I used to have a social gathering with mates in town and a couple of pints before the match. It was a chance to catch up with people and was a huge part of supporting your local team, as we were all in it together, often going on into town after the match to see out the night.

Now I leave the house an hour before kick off, arrive and pay extortionate amounts to park my car, then get into the ground 5mins before kick off. None of my mates are season ticket holders anymore, and I go home directly after the final whistle. I find that a lot of the supporters around me are exactly the same.

Perhaps it's just rose tinted specs, but I don't feel football is the same as in my youth, it was a much bigger part of my life then, now, my support is there for the 90 mins and the financial support from my season ticket, but that's about it now?

"Who scored that Naughty?", "I don't know, I've forgotten my bl**dy glasses again!".

Top 4 Team Fans in Swansea on 14:33 - Sep 1 with 3678 viewsWxmJax

Top 4 Team Fans in Swansea on 14:00 - Sep 1 by golly47

From my experience of knowing people from Wrexham, they think they're from Manchester. Neck deep (a pop punk band from Wrexham) idolize the place. They played a gig in Cardiff, and showed little sign of that "proud to be Welsh" schtick, and couldn't thank the Manc support enough when they played at Manchester.

Never forget your roots.

What a load of bollox. I don't know any local who thinks they're from Manchester, unless they actually are from Manchester. Truly laughable.
As regards to who you support, it's a democracy, you're allowed to choose yourself and not be tethered to where you were born. A lot of people on this board neither live nor were born in Swansea yet choose to support Swansea City. Should we tell them all to get lost ? An embarrassing thread.

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

Top 4 Team Fans in Swansea on 14:40 - Sep 1 with 3653 viewsMeraki

Who gives a f*ck?

Let people support who they want, theres some right self righteous fvckers on here.
Top 4 Team Fans in Swansea on 14:40 - Sep 1 with 3653 viewsJack11

I was driving through Swansea recently and it hit me that no cünt indicates on roundabouts
Top 4 Team Fans in Swansea on 14:52 - Sep 1 with 3624 viewsgolly47

Top 4 Team Fans in Swansea on 14:33 - Sep 1 by WxmJax

What a load of bollox. I don't know any local who thinks they're from Manchester, unless they actually are from Manchester. Truly laughable.
As regards to who you support, it's a democracy, you're allowed to choose yourself and not be tethered to where you were born. A lot of people on this board neither live nor were born in Swansea yet choose to support Swansea City. Should we tell them all to get lost ? An embarrassing thread.

"From my experience." Not yours.

Poll: What was worse?

Top 4 Team Fans in Swansea on 15:30 - Sep 1 with 3545 viewswhoflungdung

i247

Implication.nah

You r e wrong again .

PLEASE read what I post ,with respect

This Liverpool FC is utterly different to that which saw Peter Robinson chair,as Ive implied.

MANY ON HERE have an unnatural hatred of LIVERPOOL anything and we all know why

Top 4 Team Fans in Swansea on 15:36 - Sep 1 with 3522 viewsjackforever

People say who cares? Well I fcking care. I care because clubs like ours go out of business because of glory hunting locals. if we were having these crowds in the mid 80s to 90s we would never have been days away from going under and have the embarrassment of not paying players and asking our creditors for favours.

The other feeling I have for these big team glory hunters is that of sympathy. They have no idea what it feels like to experience games like Hull, Reading, Bury, Preston etc etc. Nothing they feel will get close to those special days and also whilst it's difficult the dark days help to appreciate the good.
Nope you can keep your big team, sky TV, replica shirt, stadium tour fan. I'd rather support us in the Welsh league than follow a champions league team that is 200 plus miles away and I have no links to.
Top 4 Team Fans in Swansea on 16:11 - Sep 1 with 3466 viewsLoyal

Top 4 Team Fans in Swansea on 12:59 - Sep 1 by whoflungdung

Amen.

They are everywhere.
Fact of life.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Top 4 Team Fans in Swansea on 16:13 - Sep 1 with 3460 viewsLoyal

Top 4 Team Fans in Swansea on 14:07 - Sep 1 by pencoedjack

Personally would rather see a youngster from South Wales (if not wearing a Swans top) in a Bassey top than one of the top 4 clubs.

I notice a few Man City tops appearing these days.

Holidayers ?

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.

Top 4 Team Fans in Swansea on 16:14 - Sep 1 with 3449 viewsLoyal

Sky sports survey last year placed Swansea as the best supported premier league team in the south west of England.
But then I suppose if you go looking for something you will find it.

Top 4 Team Fans in Swansea on 16:17 - Sep 1 with 3439 viewsGlyn1

Kids are glory hunters and shouldn't be blamed for that. It's what they are. Personally I started supporting Spurs when I was 8 because they were on the television and my dad wasn't interested in Swansea or any football. I started to go to Swans matches on my own when I was 10 (would that even be allowed now? It was quite normal back then.)0

But Spurs are still so much my 2nd team that I've never gone to watch them play us until this time, it may be traumatic. Anyways now I walk around west London wearing Swans kit and don't ever get abuse from Chelski fans (the opposite in fact, they like us and they like Clement) so we should relax about issues like this.

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Top 4 Team Fans in Swansea on 16:19 - Sep 1 with 3424 viewsandypitt56

Well i guess you can class me as one of those. Born and raised in Southampton, but been a Swansea fan for the last 15 years :).

Sorry didnt read it obviously as you said top 4 hahah Doh!. most of my friends here seem to be spurs fans.
[Post edited 1 Sep 2017 16:22]
Top 4 Team Fans in Swansea on 18:04 - Sep 1 with 3262 viewsEasternJack

Top 4 Team Fans in Swansea on 14:08 - Sep 1 by jack247

Perch is a little biased when it comes to Liverpool. Most 'Jacks' that follow them either had a top flight team as well as us, or only got interested in us when we became decent. There may be a few hardcore Jacks that feel indebted to them, but the vast majority are no different to the Jacks who follow the Swans and Man United.

Back on topic, a few years ago, there was a study on (I think) Mail online. Swansea was one of only four or five cities outside London, Manchester and Liverpool where the local club was the most supported. Newcastle had the best percentage, I think Norwich and Sunderland were up there too. It was when all were in the PL. Hull may have been too.

https://interactive.twitter.com/premierleague/#?mode=team&teamId=all&country=GBR

Poll: Hull vs Middlesborough - What do we want?

Top 4 Team Fans in Swansea on 18:09 - Sep 1 with 3249 viewsAndy1300

I walked through Port Talbot yesterday, saw 6 Liverpool tops and 2 Swans shirts.

Didn't see any Man U shirts though

Number 1 team in Wales

Top 4 Team Fans in Swansea on 19:04 - Sep 1 with 3127 viewsjack247

Top 4 Team Fans in Swansea on 15:30 - Sep 1 by whoflungdung

i247

Implication.nah

You r e wrong again .

PLEASE read what I post ,with respect

This Liverpool FC is utterly different to that which saw Peter Robinson chair,as Ive implied.

MANY ON HERE have an unnatural hatred of LIVERPOOL anything and we all know why

They genuinely don't. That's just your perception. Hub cap and shell suit jokes aren't genuine hatred. You are the only person I've ever seen make disgusting remarks about tragedies on here.

This Liverpool FC isn't the team that got all the South Wales glory boys interested, it was the one from the 70s and 80s that swept all before them. The vast, vast majority of Liverpool fans down here don't follow them because they helped us out, they follow them because they were the best team of the generation.
Top 4 Team Fans in Swansea on 19:08 - Sep 1 with 3107 viewsCooperman

Top 4 Team Fans in Swansea on 19:04 - Sep 1 by jack247

They genuinely don't. That's just your perception. Hub cap and shell suit jokes aren't genuine hatred. You are the only person I've ever seen make disgusting remarks about tragedies on here.

This Liverpool FC isn't the team that got all the South Wales glory boys interested, it was the one from the 70s and 80s that swept all before them. The vast, vast majority of Liverpool fans down here don't follow them because they helped us out, they follow them because they were the best team of the generation.

And which is why the only local 12 year olds of today who support Liverpool are made to do so by their dad's.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024