Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
NFL Thread - 2017 22:48 - Sep 10 with 3759 viewsKennedy

Anyone watching opening weekend?

LA Rams looking very decent.

[Post edited 10 Sep 2017 22:48]

Just call me JFK

NFL Thread - 2017 on 23:06 - Sep 10 with 3744 viewsphact0rri

Are Los Angeles on the Rams now? I thought it was the chargers... though to be fair my knowledge is completely based on local apparel.

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

NFL Thread - 2017 on 23:11 - Sep 10 with 3739 viewsKennedy

No they were the St. Louis Rams before last year. They then moved to LA.

LA has 2 NFL teams now. The Rams and The Chargers who were the San Diego Chargers and they moved this year.

The Rams sacked their coach with a few games of 2016 to go. Got the youngest coach in NFL history in charge now.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2017 23:16]

Just call me JFK

NFL Thread - 2017 on 08:56 - Sep 11 with 3683 viewssquarebear

Nice steady start for the Oakland Raiders, with Marshawn Lynch starting at HB.
NFL Thread - 2017 on 17:08 - Sep 11 with 3660 viewscsf

I watched the highlights of the Pats-Chiefs on Friday morning and thought it looked like an epic match.

I follow the Lions, so when the Swans lost a match that I thought they would win and the Lions went into the fourth quarter behind and came back for the win I thought we were going back to last season!!

Good win for us against a tough secondary although Palmer looked like an old dog out of condition. Kenny Golladay could be one to watch as well, two touchdowns and one was very acrobatic.
NFL Thread - 2017 on 17:33 - Sep 11 with 3648 viewsBrynCartwright

Have watched a bit of American Football, but have never really gotten into it or indeed understood it.

I can however appreciate the sheer physicality of the game.

A London based 'franchise' would massively raise the profile of the game in the UK.

Could one of our American friends please explain....

1. Why are the teams called franchises?

2. Why is it called American Football when the ball is hardly ever kicked with the foot?

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

NFL Thread - 2017 on 17:48 - Sep 11 with 3635 viewsBanosswan

If the Raiders can get 75% of beast mode, with Cooper and Richard, could be a good year.
Comes down to keeping Carr fit again though.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

NFL Thread - 2017 on 20:01 - Sep 11 with 3613 viewsKennedy

NFL Thread - 2017 on 17:33 - Sep 11 by BrynCartwright

Have watched a bit of American Football, but have never really gotten into it or indeed understood it.

A London based 'franchise' would massively raise the profile of the game in the UK.

2. Why is it called American Football when the ball is hardly ever kicked with the foot?

They are franchise as they form under the Umbrella of the NFL. Think of it like Mcdonalds. They are the main brand, but owned by loads of different people under franchises.

NFL started like rugby. They then brought in the forward pass.

https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/2tgizq/eli5why_is_american_f

Just call me JFK

NFL Thread - 2017 on 20:22 - Sep 11 with 3606 viewsTummer_from_Texas

The saga of Los Angeles and the NFL has been bizarre to say the least.

From the 40's until the early 80's, the Rams were a strong, mostly successful franchise even though they never won a Super Bowl in LA. Then the Rams moved a few miles to Anaheim in 1980 (were still known as LA Rams), and the Raiders' owner Al Davis (who got into a huge, highly publicized feud with Commissioner Pete Rozelle over it) quickly relocated from Oakland to the LA Coliseum.

The LA Raiders became a huge success in the 80's, leaving the Rams as an afterthought. It helped a lot that the black and silver Raiders apparel became hugely popular in the 80's and an iconic symbol of the inner city, not only in South Central LA but also all over the USA.

The Rams' owner Georgia Frontiere-Rosenbloom was a former showgirl from St. Louis who inherited the franchise as Carol Rosenbloom's (yes, a guy named Carol) trophy widow. In 1995, she relocated the Rams again to her hometown of St. Louis, and strangely the Raiders returned to Oakland that same summer. Overnight, the USA's 2nd biggest market behind New York went from having 2 NFL teams to having no teams at all.

Even stranger, the city remained completely devoid of any NFL team for the next 21 years, due to politics and a notoriously laid-back fan base.

Now, once again, LA has two NFL franchises. So strange that for the last 35 years, LA has always had either two teams or none.
[Post edited 11 Sep 2017 20:33]

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Login to get fewer ads

NFL Thread - 2017 on 21:24 - Sep 11 with 3578 viewsphact0rri

NFL Thread - 2017 on 17:33 - Sep 11 by BrynCartwright

My mate played american football at University and he's really into it.. and I try to ask him questions to try to understand it. To be honest its more like a turn based strategy game

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

NFL Thread - 2017 on 21:30 - Sep 11 with 3578 viewsBrynCartwright

NFL Thread - 2017 on 20:01 - Sep 11 by Kennedy

They are franchise as they form under the Umbrella of the NFL. Think of it like Mcdonalds. They are the main brand, but owned by loads of different people under franchises.

NFL started like rugby. They then brought in the forward pass.

https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/2tgizq/eli5why_is_american_f

Thanks Kennedy.

Never thought of it as a generic term for games played on foot before rather than on a horse.

OK... makes sense

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

NFL Thread - 2017 on 06:00 - Sep 19 with 3384 viewscsf

Pleased with this week. MNF meant I had to catch the highlights. Just watched them. The Giants D is supposed to be one of the best, but Stafford saw them off. Nice to see a big punt return from Jamal Agnew, I can't remember the last time a Lion did that for a touchdown!
Lions looking good so far. Think we will be solid and make the wildcard entry for the playoffs
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024