Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
£42m 12:00 - Sep 11 with 9861 viewsCroftyjack

Clucas, Mesa, Baston.....all on the books and people say we don't spend much!!

Problem is how it is spent..if you said a few years ago we would spend that on 3 players I would be expecting us to be doing very well with top players!!
You would expect expect goals and creativity if spending that sort of cash and then theres more food banks opening up than ever for some fans!!!
£42m on 12:15 - Sep 11 with 9804 viewsgiantstoneater

We've had a lot of money coming in too and have lost quality and not replaced it. Clucas is our record signing and can't even take a decent corner, since Rangels legs have gone we have not looked at improving that position. Midfield whilst looking strong lacks goals and creativity Carroll and Fer inconsistent we have one fit winger who doesn't inspire and have let one go who might have at least given their defence a test. I don't expect us to spend big bucks on all signings but we used to work hard to unearth some gems. Our scouting dept needs serious adjusting.
£42m on 13:21 - Sep 11 with 9616 viewsawayjack

£42m on 12:15 - Sep 11 by giantstoneater

We've had a lot of money coming in too and have lost quality and not replaced it. Clucas is our record signing and can't even take a decent corner, since Rangels legs have gone we have not looked at improving that position. Midfield whilst looking strong lacks goals and creativity Carroll and Fer inconsistent we have one fit winger who doesn't inspire and have let one go who might have at least given their defence a test. I don't expect us to spend big bucks on all signings but we used to work hard to unearth some gems. Our scouting dept needs serious adjusting.

Agree. Net we've made £30m+ this window. Early days but over investment in defensive and central midfield and not much in attack or defense. Unless PC has written Leon off I don't know how we'll fit Clucas, Mesa, Leon and Sanches into DM/CM roles. Also big ask for Fer/Carrol to step into more AM.
£42m on 13:45 - Sep 11 with 9512 viewsE20Jack

£42m on 13:21 - Sep 11 by awayjack

Agree. Net we've made £30m+ this window. Early days but over investment in defensive and central midfield and not much in attack or defense. Unless PC has written Leon off I don't know how we'll fit Clucas, Mesa, Leon and Sanches into DM/CM roles. Also big ask for Fer/Carrol to step into more AM.

We have made nowhere near £30m. Probably closer to £3m than £30m.

Poll: 6 point deduction and sellouts lose all their cash?

£42m on 14:06 - Sep 11 with 9443 viewswhoflungdung

Our buying has been risible

Poll: Is it Spa or spa

£42m on 16:43 - Sep 11 with 9324 viewsBorojack

£42m on 13:45 - Sep 11 by E20Jack

We have made nowhere near £30m. Probably closer to £3m than £30m.

According to Angry Jack we have made 50 million clueless some on here.

Poll: Should Huw Jenkins be sacked

£42m on 17:23 - Sep 11 with 9199 viewsjacktar

£42m on 13:21 - Sep 11 by awayjack

We also have Ki to come back from injury, who I understand is liked by PC. After yesterday's performance i wouldn't mind seeing what Ki could do in a more advanced role.

We shouldn't all be tarred with the same brush you know!

£42m on 21:21 - Sep 12 with 8842 viewsCroftyjack

My point is not what we have made or even if we have broke even but we have spent £42m on those three.
Mesa and Clucas may come good but that is not my point either...its that if you said when we got promoted we would spend that amount on 3 players we would have expected to be top 6 with at least 1 world class player amongst them.
The point is you can spend as much as you like there are NO guarantees of success in this league.
Clucas looked good last year when Silva took over..Baston was one of the top scorers in the Spanish league..Mesa was high on the stats list in spain(Mark Gower was once on the stats list too).
So my real point is we really need to spend millions on developing an ultra smart recruitment policy instead of spunking money on average.
Look at some teams in Europe like Monaco, Ajax, the Portugese, Belgian and other dutch teams...they recruit from south America, Africa and Asia and ground them for a season or 2.
We really do need to update our business model to one which is sustainable, profitable and ultimately good enough to remain in this league.
£42m on 22:04 - Sep 12 with 8787 viewsKilkennyjack

£42m on 21:21 - Sep 12 by Croftyjack

My point is not what we have made or even if we have broke even but we have spent £42m on those three.
Mesa and Clucas may come good but that is not my point either...its that if you said when we got promoted we would spend that amount on 3 players we would have expected to be top 6 with at least 1 world class player amongst them.
The point is you can spend as much as you like there are NO guarantees of success in this league.
Clucas looked good last year when Silva took over..Baston was one of the top scorers in the Spanish league..Mesa was high on the stats list in spain(Mark Gower was once on the stats list too).
So my real point is we really need to spend millions on developing an ultra smart recruitment policy instead of spunking money on average.
Look at some teams in Europe like Monaco, Ajax, the Portugese, Belgian and other dutch teams...they recruit from south America, Africa and Asia and ground them for a season or 2.
We really do need to update our business model to one which is sustainable, profitable and ultimately good enough to remain in this league.

Excellent post.

Recruitment from Falkirk has limited potential.

Beware of the Risen People

Login to get fewer ads

£42m on 23:02 - Sep 12 with 8654 viewslondonlisa2001

£42m on 21:21 - Sep 12 by Croftyjack

Strikes me that Clucas and Mesa have all the hallmarks of the input of our moneyball stats guy.

I think Clucas is a nice player, who knows about Mesa, and let's hope they both turn out to be brilliant, but they have analytics written all over them as signings.
£42m on 23:17 - Sep 12 with 8616 viewsLeonWasGod

We've had a bunch of wingers who don't create and score and now a bunch of CMs who don't too. Either Wilf has got to hit the ground running or PC needs to find a way to get more from our narrow and tidy, but ponderous midfielders. Or it will be a long season again.

Money's gone nuts. Tens of millions on average players. Crazy.
£42m on 23:36 - Sep 12 with 8595 viewsLoyal

Clukas & Mesa are hardly flops.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

£42m on 05:38 - Sep 13 with 8461 viewsicecoldjack

We could have easily spent less money but with better quality than Mesa(though jury still out on him as he hasnt played) Clucas and Borja but we have Huw Jenkins and his butties doing the scouting .
£42m on 10:48 - Sep 13 with 8153 viewsSTID2017

When will you people learn ?
The Res and his band have told us time and again that the two main players who have gone to get the money in (Gylfi and Llorente) were holding the team back and we are now a much better team playing fast flowing football in the style of Barcelona and scoring lots of goals .
What do you mean that hasn't happened?
For the record, I feel our signings will come good, but how any right minded person could advocate selling those two players is beyond me
[Post edited 13 Sep 2017 10:49]

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

£42m on 11:04 - Sep 14 with 7744 viewsCroftyjack

£42m on 05:38 - Sep 13 by icecoldjack

We could have easily spent less money but with better quality than Mesa(though jury still out on him as he hasnt played) Clucas and Borja but we have Huw Jenkins and his butties doing the scouting .

You have got my point,..there is very little thought in our policy if in fact we have one.
£42m on 12:05 - Sep 14 with 7687 viewsyescomeon

£42m on 23:02 - Sep 12 by londonlisa2001

Strikes me that Clucas and Mesa have all the hallmarks of the input of our moneyball stats guy.

I think Clucas is a nice player, who knows about Mesa, and let's hope they both turn out to be brilliant, but they have analytics written all over them as signings.

I'd not thought of that, I think you're right. Can't wait till he moves on to the assists and goals columns of his player database.

Upthecity!

£42m on 12:36 - Sep 14 with 7639 viewsYossarian

£42m on 23:02 - Sep 12 by londonlisa2001

Agree with this. I wouldn't be surprised if Mesa was signed over PC's head- it would explain why he goes to other options rather than Mesa. Perhaps he's asserting himself by not picking him? Not sure about Clucas though- it always looked a strange one for us in my view, and I wonder why he played against Newcastle in the holding role rather than in a more attacking role that he had at Hull? That should definitely been the game for Mesa to step in. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm almost beginning to regret us selling Cork!

"Yossarian- the very sight of the name made him shudder.There were so many esses in it. It just had to be subversive" (Catch 22)

£42m on 16:07 - Sep 14 with 7506 viewsyescomeon

£42m on 12:36 - Sep 14 by Yossarian

Agree with this. I wouldn't be surprised if Mesa was signed over PC's head- it would explain why he goes to other options rather than Mesa. Perhaps he's asserting himself by not picking him? Not sure about Clucas though- it always looked a strange one for us in my view, and I wonder why he played against Newcastle in the holding role rather than in a more attacking role that he had at Hull? That should definitely been the game for Mesa to step in. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm almost beginning to regret us selling Cork!

My interpretation of the decision to play Clucas there was to allow us to transition into a makeshift back 3 with the two full backs pushing forward when we are on the attack. I'm sure I read somewhere that Clucas has played centre back in the past. I'd had a few pints watching the game mind.

That was my first time watching Clucas for us and I thought he did quite well and looks well suited to us. Think I'd be happy enough for him to keep playing that roll, the problem seemed to be further up the pitch. Although as a left sided player it makes sense on paper at least to have a midfield with Mesa at the base of the diamond, Clucas left side, Sanches right side then either Ki or Fer at the tip.

Upthecity!

£42m on 16:10 - Sep 14 with 7500 viewsmonmouth

£42m on 16:07 - Sep 14 by yescomeon

My interpretation of the decision to play Clucas there was to allow us to transition into a makeshift back 3 with the two full backs pushing forward when we are on the attack. I'm sure I read somewhere that Clucas has played centre back in the past. I'd had a few pints watching the game mind.

That was my first time watching Clucas for us and I thought he did quite well and looks well suited to us. Think I'd be happy enough for him to keep playing that roll, the problem seemed to be further up the pitch. Although as a left sided player it makes sense on paper at least to have a midfield with Mesa at the base of the diamond, Clucas left side, Sanches right side then either Ki or Fer at the tip.

I've said elsewhere I think, so repeating myself, that I don't know if our problem is further up the pitch. I thought our problem was that WE weren't further up the pitch.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

£42m on 13:11 - Sep 15 with 7167 viewsyescomeon

£42m on 16:10 - Sep 14 by monmouth

I've said elsewhere I think, so repeating myself, that I don't know if our problem is further up the pitch. I thought our problem was that WE weren't further up the pitch.

That's a big part of the problem, there's a lack of players in the midfield for who that is their natural instinct. There is a lack of that player to link the attack and midfield imo. Hopefully Sanches will help with that, I'm interested to see Ki further forward too.

Upthecity!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024