Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stella 09:39 - Sep 14 with 16058 viewsProfessor

Not the most popular show on here. However in last night's episode there was a "Swansea City AFC. Since 1912" scarf on the wall. Not sure whether down to the actors (several are Neath/Swansea boys) or Ruth Jones and her husband (who are the producers). Anyway another one in the eye for the "Welsh Barca"
Stella on 19:18 - Sep 14 with 2756 viewsexiledclaseboy

Nothing wrong with Stella, it's a perfectly decent comedy/drama. Probably gone on for a couple of series longer than it should have but there you go. Anyone who thinks it embarrasses the Welsh probably has issues. It's no more representative of or embarrassing to Welsh people than, for example, Bread was of people from Liverpool and Twin Town of jacks. Most of the characters in all three are such broad brush caricatures it's surely impossible to get them mixed up with "real life". They're not documentaries.
[Post edited 14 Sep 2017 19:22]

Poll: Tory leader

Stella on 19:25 - Sep 14 with 2742 viewsDarran

Stella on 19:18 - Sep 14 by exiledclaseboy

Nothing wrong with Stella, it's a perfectly decent comedy/drama. Probably gone on for a couple of series longer than it should have but there you go. Anyone who thinks it embarrasses the Welsh probably has issues. It's no more representative of or embarrassing to Welsh people than, for example, Bread was of people from Liverpool and Twin Town of jacks. Most of the characters in all three are such broad brush caricatures it's surely impossible to get them mixed up with "real life". They're not documentaries.
[Post edited 14 Sep 2017 19:22]

Have you seen last nights episode?

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

(No subject) (n/t) on 19:25 - Sep 14 with 2746 viewsexiledclaseboy

Stella on 19:25 - Sep 14 by Darran

Have you seen last nights episode?

Yes.
[Post edited 14 Sep 2017 19:25]

(No subject) (n/t) on 19:29 - Sep 14 with 2731 viewsDarran

(No subject) (n/t) on 19:25 - Sep 14 by exiledclaseboy

Yes.
[Post edited 14 Sep 2017 19:25]

Fuçk. Ing. Hell.

(No subject) (n/t) on 19:42 - Sep 14 with 2725 viewsmax936

(No subject) (n/t) on 19:29 - Sep 14 by Darran

Fuçk. Ing. Hell.

How much did you see of it is more to the point, you can't take your eyes off this forum for 2 minutes mun, anyway you'd made you're mind up on what you thought of Stella a long time ago.

And no I didn't see it last night I was busy and we had the footie on.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

(No subject) (n/t) on 19:44 - Sep 14 with 2713 viewsDarran

(No subject) (n/t) on 19:42 - Sep 14 by max936

How much did you see of it is more to the point, you can't take your eyes off this forum for 2 minutes mun, anyway you'd made you're mind up on what you thought of Stella a long time ago.

And no I didn't see it last night I was busy and we had the footie on.

You're mad Max.

(No subject) (n/t) on 19:46 - Sep 14 with 2715 viewsmax936

(No subject) (n/t) on 19:44 - Sep 14 by Darran

You're mad Max.

That's a different subject altogether.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Stella on 20:16 - Sep 14 with 2692 viewsGaryjack

I've watched every single episode of Stella and enjoyed them all in the main. Last night though was utterly fvckin awful i'm sorry.
Login to get fewer ads

Stella on 20:26 - Sep 14 with 2674 viewsDarran

Stella on 20:16 - Sep 14 by Garyjack

I've watched every single episode of Stella and enjoyed them all in the main. Last night though was utterly fvckin awful i'm sorry.

Thank you Gary it comes to something when you're the most sensible person on here.

Stella on 20:26 - Sep 14 with 2678 viewswhoflungdung

It's not the denizens of those cities Andrew but those from outside .

I worked the river streets ( bread) when they were dockers homes. .

Utterly different now.

Much of old Swansea has gone. Some good some bad

Poll: Is it Spa or spa

Stella on 20:41 - Sep 14 with 2653 viewsGaryjack

Stella on 20:26 - Sep 14 by Darran

Thank you Gary it comes to something when you're the most sensible person on here.

My missus told me too say it!
Stella on 17:13 - Sep 16 with 2525 viewsattila_the_hun

yet you have the look of someone that would be perfect as an extra for it

"I'm Free"

Stella on 20:29 - Sep 16 with 2487 viewsLohengrin

Stella on 17:02 - Sep 14 by monmouth

I've seen that. I thought it was truly excellent.

Have you knowledge of relatives who fought in The Great War, Mon? Did the film inspire you to dig deeper and find out?

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Stella on 21:22 - Sep 16 with 2472 viewsoldcob

Stella on 15:12 - Sep 14 by jackal

Ray Milland was originally named Reginald Truscott-Jones and he took his name from the Milland works in Neath. Where he was born.

I met him when he came to publicise his autobiography. A nice chap and a true Hollywood great.

Other way about I think my friend. Ray Milland was born Reg Jones and lived in Hillside, Neath. As a child he enjoyed playing in an area called Milland Fields, the site of Neath Galv and the old Melyn Dynamos football pitch would be the general area. When he changed his name from Jones he chose Milland. Milland Rd was named after the area not the actor I'm afraid. My mother was roughly the same age as Ray Milland and from the Melyn and it was she who told me the story of how Ray Milland chose his name.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2017 10:03]
Stella on 21:28 - Sep 16 with 2466 viewsLohengrin

Stella on 21:22 - Sep 16 by oldcob

Other way about I think my friend. Ray Milland was born Reg Jones and lived in Hillside, Neath. As a child he enjoyed playing in an area called Milland Fields, the site of Neath Galv and the old Melyn Dynamos football pitch would be the general area. When he changed his name from Jones he chose Milland. Milland Rd was named after the area not the actor I'm afraid. My mother was roughly the same age as Ray Milland and from the Melyn and it was she who told me the story of how Ray Milland chose his name.

Is your Mam still with us? We had an actress in the family who was quite well known in her day, though all but forgotten now, Maudie Edwards. I'm sure your mam will remember her.

Stella on 23:24 - Sep 16 with 2438 viewsProfessor

Stella on 21:22 - Sep 16 by oldcob

First Welsh actor to win an Oscar.
Stella on 23:47 - Sep 16 with 2420 viewsLohengrin

Stella on 23:24 - Sep 16 by Professor

First Welsh actor to win an Oscar.

Lost Weekend?

Stella on 23:56 - Sep 16 with 2415 viewsexiledclaseboy

Stella on 23:47 - Sep 16 by Lohengrin

Lost Weekend?

If they're handing out Oscars for them I'm chucking my hat into the ring.

Stella on 23:58 - Sep 16 with 2412 viewsLohengrin

Stella on 23:56 - Sep 16 by exiledclaseboy

If they're handing out Oscars for them I'm chucking my hat into the ring.

Stella on 00:03 - Sep 17 with 2408 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Stella on 20:29 - Sep 16 by Lohengrin

Have you knowledge of relatives who fought in The Great War, Mon? Did the film inspire you to dig deeper and find out?

My Nan gave me a book after my grandfather's funeral which belonged to him. It was the history of the Great War with a section in the back which was basically a memorial to my grandfather's older brother who fell on October 21st 1918. He had served from the beginning of the war and managed to survive until within three weeks of armistice.

I had it tucked away but the centenary of the Great War made me get it out and have a good look in 2014. We visited northern France in 2015 and contacted the farmer on whose land he was buried with a few of his mates and went and paid our respects. Not all are remembered in the huge cemeteries like Tyne Cot (which we also visited on our trip), many are among small groups buried in the vicinity in which they fell.

A sobering experience but a strangely proud and uplifting one as well.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Stella on 00:17 - Sep 17 with 2397 viewsLohengrin

Stella on 00:03 - Sep 17 by Joe_bradshaw

My Nan gave me a book after my grandfather's funeral which belonged to him. It was the history of the Great War with a section in the back which was basically a memorial to my grandfather's older brother who fell on October 21st 1918. He had served from the beginning of the war and managed to survive until within three weeks of armistice.

I had it tucked away but the centenary of the Great War made me get it out and have a good look in 2014. We visited northern France in 2015 and contacted the farmer on whose land he was buried with a few of his mates and went and paid our respects. Not all are remembered in the huge cemeteries like Tyne Cot (which we also visited on our trip), many are among small groups buried in the vicinity in which they fell.

A sobering experience but a strangely proud and uplifting one as well.

Do you know the circumstances of your Great-uncle's death, Joe? October 1918, if memory serves, saw the Fourth Army breach the reserve positions of the Hindenberg Line and, to all intents and purposes, set in motion the Kaiser's abdication and the German call for armistice. He did make a difference, mate.

Stella on 00:52 - Sep 17 with 2383 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Stella on 00:17 - Sep 17 by Lohengrin

Do you know the circumstances of your Great-uncle's death, Joe? October 1918, if memory serves, saw the Fourth Army breach the reserve positions of the Hindenberg Line and, to all intents and purposes, set in motion the Kaiser's abdication and the German call for armistice. He did make a difference, mate.

I don't know the circumstances and I'm certainly no war historian but I understand it was during the hundred days offensive at the battle of the Selle if that makes any sense to you.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Stella on 00:52 - Sep 17 with 2383 viewsProfessor

Stella on 23:47 - Sep 16 by Lohengrin

Lost Weekend?

Yes.

Four others since, but Ray Milland was the first for 'the Lost Weekend'. Although Christian Bale does not consider himself Welsh.
Stella on 01:11 - Sep 17 with 2369 viewsLoyal

Stella on 00:52 - Sep 17 by Professor

Yes.

Four others since, but Ray Milland was the first for 'the Lost Weekend'. Although Christian Bale does not consider himself Welsh.

Stupid cnt hasn't got much choice though.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Stella on 09:49 - Sep 17 with 2315 viewsLohengrin

Stella on 00:52 - Sep 17 by Joe_bradshaw

I don't know the circumstances and I'm certainly no war historian but I understand it was during the hundred days offensive at the battle of the Selle if that makes any sense to you.

I know exactly what you're referring to, Joe. My Great-grandfather was at Selle which raises the possibility the two may have know each other over there 99 years ago? Do you know if your Great-uncle was with the 38th?

If you are interested in going further into it or visiting again then Dr Peter Hodgkinson's books are indispensable. There are plenty of general histories available but the Dr is the chronicler of Selle. He ensures that men like your ancestor are not forgotten....as do you, my friend.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024